Why is String theory not taken seriously?

Study matter and its motion through spacetime...

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Why is String theory not taken seriously?

#41  Postby Nautilidae » May 11, 2010 10:47 pm

GreyICE wrote:
Alright, what sort of energies will create string-balls?

We should see string balls in the TeV range if string theory is correct.

(Micro black holes can already be created and destroyed through simple relativistic acceleration).

And this is relevant how...?

I am well aware of the fact that micro black holes can be created without string theory. However, if string theory isn't correct, the LHC cannot create micro black holes in proton-proton collisions because the energies needed to create them are beyond the LHC's intended proton-proton collision energies. However, if string theory is correct, the lower limit for black hole masses shrinks considerably. In fact, if string theory is correct, we should observe micro black holes in TeV energy LHC collisions.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby newolder » Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm

lpetrich wrote:...

New Iron based superconductors might resist magnetic fields over 100 Tesla - the strongest continuous-field magnet has a field of 45 tesla, giving a pressure of 8100 bar, while the strongest pulsed one has 90 tesla, giving 32 kilobar.

Just a note to update the technology news... That 45-Tesla continuous magnet weighs in at 35 tons and consumes 30MW of power whilst reports of a continuous 45.5-T "Little Big Coil" magnet weighing in at 390g with a power consumption of 180 MW and incorporating a high temperature superconductor substance, should help brighten someone's days ahead...

The downside of this design is that 45-T weighs-in at 35 ton and draws 30 MW, making it impractical for all but a few facilities worldwide.

In comparison, the LBC magnet is a mere 390 g. It requires 18 MW to operate and is about the size of the core of a toilet tissue roll.

...more @ link

Physics World source
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Svartalf » Jun 19, 2019 4:19 pm

uh, was that bit of news really worth performing that scale of thread necromancy?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby tuco » Jun 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Yeah, unlike starting a new thread and linking this one for context. I guess, it depends on how individual minds are lets organized and value efficiency.
tuco

Print view this post

#45  Postby newolder » Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Svartalf wrote:uh, was that bit of news really worth performing that scale of thread necromancy?

I searched for - superconducting magnet - and this was the most appropriate from the first page returns. If there's another, more suitable topic, I'll copy it there too.
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Physics