7 Billion Breathers.

Are we dooming ourselves?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 7 Billion Breathers.

#61  Postby Gallstones » Oct 28, 2011 3:42 am

If,...if only 5 billion of them would convert to non-breathers. :ask:
Gallstones

Print view this post

#62  Postby tuco » Oct 28, 2011 5:53 am

I am not sure you realize, johnbrandt, that IF everyone lived like Zambian, we would not be talking here and now. The same cannot be said about those well-educated well-off countries. That is a hard fact.

Now, do not even start an argument like .. but IF Zambians lived like well-educated well-off countries .. because they do not.

As a side note and if you allow me, I would recommend some education on the so-called ecological footprint.
tuco

Print view this post

#63  Postby cavarka9 » Oct 28, 2011 6:26 am

johnbrandt wrote:I'll mention the elephant in the room...

If western countries seem to be able to control thier population, then they aren't the problem and don't have to "change thier ways". It's countries like China (doing it's best, but with such a population mass to begin with it's hard), and India (actually aiming for a figure up towards two billion as if it's a "good thing"), and especially poor African countries where a massive family is seen as somehow a good idea.

The well-educated well-off countries generally face thier responsabilities and keep a lower birth rate...it's the ones who have no intention of doing so that are the problem, and I've got no idea how you can convince these countries to do otherwise. It isn't up to us to change, it's up to them to realise they have a problem and face it.

bullshit, its the developed countries which profited from countries like India,china and left them poor assumed that there wouldnt be any costs for decreasing the quality of life of others which bought about this problem and also the problem of global warming, which too was short sighted.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#64  Postby johnbrandt » Oct 28, 2011 6:59 am

Well since you mentioned global warming, I see the exact same problem here with population control...what is the use of the west "moving first" and changing it's ways, if billions of people in other countries are allowed to just keep on doing as they wish? How does that change anything? Or do we just naively trust that the majority of the worlds population will "follow us"...?
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#65  Postby tuco » Oct 28, 2011 7:46 am

100 .. maybe even 25 years ago (almost) nobody would care for the so-called sustainable growth. This, global, challenge is for the first time in our history. Would anyone expect for it to be a no-brainer? Even for sapiens, Human or rather hairless, Ape? Cmon! Learning computer.
tuco

Print view this post

#66  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Oct 28, 2011 8:01 am

johnbrandt wrote:Well since you mentioned global warming, I see the exact same problem here with population control...what is the use of the west "moving first" and changing it's ways, if billions of people in other countries are allowed to just keep on doing as they wish? How does that change anything? Or do we just naively trust that the majority of the worlds population will "follow us"...?

Well the obvious difference is that in one example the western countries are leading the world in emissions and the "eastern" countries are well behind us. While in the other example eastern countries are leading population growth rates and western countries are well behind them.

But we've been through this debate before, and apparently western countries could emit half the amount of china despite having 1/50th of the population and still not have obligation an to drop their emissions first...
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Emmeline » Oct 28, 2011 8:58 am

I watched this last year and found it very informative re: population.

The world's population will grow to 9 billion over the next 50 years -- and only by raising the living standards of the poorest can we check population growth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTznEIZRkLg[/youtube]
Emmeline

Print view this post

#68  Postby cavarka9 » Oct 28, 2011 11:00 am

johnbrandt wrote:Well since you mentioned global warming, I see the exact same problem here with population control...what is the use of the west "moving first" and changing it's ways, if billions of people in other countries are allowed to just keep on doing as they wish? How does that change anything? Or do we just naively trust that the majority of the worlds population will "follow us"...?

:what: it's simple, brandt. Who's got the money?
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#69  Postby tuco » Oct 28, 2011 11:23 am

Hence, population predictions are of limited value.

On related note, it does not make much sense for us, the West and the best, to be telling the rest to keep themselves on a leash since we got where we are by unleashing powers without regards for .. well, not even human life, let alone animal or plant. Perhaps the rest might feel they deserve the same we do? Oh back to equality, the dreaded concept.
tuco

Print view this post

#70  Postby Dudely » Oct 28, 2011 11:40 am

Emmeline wrote:I watched this last year and found it very informative re: population.

The world's population will grow to 9 billion over the next 50 years -- and only by raising the living standards of the poorest can we check population growth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTznEIZRkLg[/youtube]

Thanks for posting Emmeline, that's one of my favorites!
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 28, 2011 3:32 pm

johnbrandt wrote:I'll mention the elephant in the room...

If western countries seem to be able to control thier population, then they aren't the problem and don't have to "change thier ways". It's countries like China (doing it's best, but with such a population mass to begin with it's hard), and India (actually aiming for a figure up towards two billion as if it's a "good thing"), and especially poor African countries where a massive family is seen as somehow a good idea.

The well-educated well-off countries generally face thier responsabilities and keep a lower birth rate...it's the ones who have no intention of doing so that are the problem, and I've got no idea how you can convince these countries to do otherwise. It isn't up to us to change, it's up to them to realise they have a problem and face it.

Western and developed countries aren't controlling their population. The low number of children are a side effect of their way of life, not a deliberate policy or goal. In fact many are fretting that their fertility rate it too low, and will see issues in a few decades with loads of oldies mooching off the few young 'uns, to put it one way.

Likewise, the high rate of children being born in Africa is a side effect of their way of life. A way of life that is changing rapidly, to become more like ours.

And since climate change has been brought into this. We will likewise see carbon emissions lower relatively as more and more people live in cities. Despite what might appear to be counter-intuitive, living in cities is more eco-friendly than living in rural areas.

The reason I started this thread has less to do with the fact we're just about to pass (or have passed) the 7 Billion milestone and more to do with the fact I'm reading this book. There's some very interesting ideas in it that are forcing me to re-evaluate long held opinions.

'Being Green' is no longer enough. "Whole Earth Discipline" is Stewart Brand's wake up call for the environmental movement, and his message is hard-hitting: unless environmentalists keep up with new science, they will become part of the problem. It is an exhilarating piece of writing and bang-on zeitgeist. Three profound transformations are underway on Earth: climate change, urbanization and biotechnology. In response to these seismic changes - and challenges - Steward Brand argues that the environmental movement must reverse some long-held opinions, and embrace tools and disciplines that it has traditionally distrusted - such as science and engineering - in order to forestall the cataclysmic deterioration of the earth's resources. "Whole Earth Discipline" shatters a number of environmental myths, and presents radical, counterintuitive observations - cities are actually greener than the countryside, nuclear power is the future of energy, and genetic engineering is the key to crop and land management. With a combination of scientific rigor and blazing advocacy, Brand shows us exactly where the sources of our dilemmas lie and offers a bold and creative set of policies and solutions for producing a more sustainable society.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Sovereign » Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Funny thing about birth control rates and women empowerment, I heard a fundie argue that this was the reason it was bad to let women go to school.

Edit: Oh and is there a specific reason they picked Oct. 31? It has nothing to do with any fiscal time periods does it?
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby MoonLit » Oct 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Sovereign wrote:Funny thing about birth control rates and women empowerment, I heard a fundie argue that this was the reason it was bad to let women go to school.

What reason? :eh:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Dudely » Oct 28, 2011 7:26 pm

MoonLit wrote:
Sovereign wrote:Funny thing about birth control rates and women empowerment, I heard a fundie argue that this was the reason it was bad to let women go to school.

The Muslims will win.
This is what hydrogen atoms do given 15 billion years of evolution- Carl Sagan

Ignorance is slavery- Miles Davis
Dudely

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 28, 2011 7:41 pm

And God told us to be fruitful.

Just look at the Catholics.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Sovereign » Oct 28, 2011 8:15 pm

MoonLit wrote:

MacIver wrote:And God told us to be fruitful.

and something about minority babies born are outpacing white babies being born.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby MoonLit » Oct 29, 2011 3:17 am

Sovereign wrote:
MoonLit wrote:

MacIver wrote:And God told us to be fruitful.

and something about minority babies born are outpacing white babies being born.

Ah k. Did you ask the fundie what his/her reasoning was behind that statement? I've seen that statement before, "Education and/or birth control is bad because then women either put off having kids or have none at all!" but it's always been from an asshole only. When someone makes a statement like that, I can't help but wonder what their reasoning is; turns out, it's always been that they're just fucked in the head and are either sexist, racist or just both. (At least from my observations).

Man, makes me wonder what I'd say if someone was dumb enough to make that comment towards me. I'm celibate, don't like kids, and would rather die then ever be pregnant let alone give birth. :lol: I don't give a shit if the Muslims out breed the Christians, it's not up to the parents to decide what religion their kids belong to.

Note to everyone: If you hear someone make that dumb statement, ask them to clarify. If it turns out it is because they have sexist/racist tendencies, point it out for everyone else around to hear. :grin: "Oh, so you're really just sexist? Did you ever bother to stop and think that not everyone belongs to the same religion as you and so no, we have not all be commanded to be "fruitful". And do it with a straight face. :whistle:
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby johnbrandt » Oct 29, 2011 10:23 am

Coincidentally I read an article just today on population growth, and how Australia has just passed 23 million, a seemingly modest (by world standards) figure that some people are getting a little worried about. just as many people wonder why they are worried...after all, plenty of large cities overseas have many more millions than this.

Some people, however, have stupid ideas about a "big Australia", with a population that we should aim to reach 50 to 100 million. They point to the continental USA, which has a similar land mass area, and how they have 300 million-plus people..."why can't we aim high and go for a big population?".
There is a slight problem with that idea. If you get away from the fertile bit around some of the edges and the lower right hand corner of the continent, it's as dry as buggery and harsh as all fuck to live in. We couldn't possibly support that many people without massive environmental degredation.

Some people just seem to like to see big numbers of humans...really big...the bigger the better. No idea why exactly...they just do...
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#79  Postby cavarka9 » Oct 29, 2011 10:37 am

what about a deal is made, developing countries provide labor and numbers and after a while they come back here and settle down, that helps both doesnt it?.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Sovereign » Oct 29, 2011 3:20 pm

MoonLit wrote:Ah k. Did you ask the fundie what his/her reasoning was behind that statement? I've seen that statement before, "Education and/or birth control is bad because then women either put off having kids or have none at all!" but it's always been from an asshole only. When someone makes a statement like that, I can't help but wonder what their reasoning is; turns out, it's always been that they're just fucked in the head and are either sexist, racist or just both. (At least from my observations).

No, I just looked at him and walked off. Lately I haven't had the mental energy to argue with fundies. You'll say and entire argument and they throw Bible verses at you that have nothing to do with the argument and think it's valid. Use facts and they ask if you're an atheist and when you say yes, it's Bible verse barrage. I'm getting tired of it.

cavarka9 wrote:what about a deal is made, developing countries provide labor and numbers and after a while they come back here and settle down, that helps both doesnt it?.

Well they do provide labor but residents of the "developed" world would rather not have the influx of people. Look at the US's immigration issues. It really has nothing to do with them being illegal. If legal immigration allowed that many people in, the laws would be changed to stem the flow. There was a good video on YouTube about this using immigration laws since the inception of the US showing how whichever group the majority disliked, they got deported more than any other group.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs