Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

Do I have any rights? I want them to stfu

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86, Matt8819, amok

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#141  Postby Oldskeptic » Feb 22, 2012 4:23 am

Lion IRC wrote:
Garm never wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:I was talking about (healthy) atheists who object to the sound of people praying - in a hospice for the dying.

When exactly did hospices become places of atheist fascism? Oh, that's right: never.

Lion IRC never wrote:There is nothing "secular" or COMMUNIST about a hospice. It's not a place where Big Brother imposes its dictatorial church/state separation on our personal beliefs, "political correctness gone mad" versus 50,000 year old and still going strong theism. These are sick and dying people and their carers - LEAVE THEM ALONE!.

FIFY.


re-FIFY


Christianity goes back 50,000 years?

Oh, and by the way early Christians were communist.

Your really beginning to develop a knack for displaying your ignorance.

Big Brother? For your information it wasn't an atheist dictatorial institution that imposed a separation of of church and state in the US. It was the Supreme Court interpreting the constitution of the US.

Dawn is working in an institution that by her account is almost wholly funded by state and federal government money. Just like publicly funded schools individual or voluntary prayer should not be banned, but mandatory attendance of public prayer meetings and sermons should be, and are if supported by public funds.

The terms of the funding seem fair to me. From what Dawn has written early in this thread the institution is required to provide "Clergy" to those patients that want it. But there is no requirement for staff to attend mandatory sermons and participate in prayer on the governments dime.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 4233
Age: 57
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#142  Postby Oldskeptic » Feb 22, 2012 4:37 am

From some of the posts on this thread is seems that Dawn has been told to sit down and shut up about something that isn't right.

Fuck that! If the clergy are there to help comfort patients and family then that's what they should be doing. Not leading staff meetings unless they have some kind of degree or educational credentials in how to deal non-religiously with patients and grieving family.

And any clergy working in a hospice that is government funded should have educational credentials that go beyond being just being clergy.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Oldskeptic
 
Posts: 4233
Age: 57
Male

Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#143  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 22, 2012 4:54 am

Lion IRC wrote:
paceetrate wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:Ahh...the workplace.
That lovely world where you NEVER have to put up with stuff you don't like.

I wouldn't work somewhere that tried to get me doing something which was against my religion.


Careful, dear, your privilege is showing.


I was talking about (healthy) atheists who object to the sound of people praying - in a hospice for the dying.


...during a staff meeting with no clients present.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 13509
Age: 58
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#144  Postby Lion IRC » Feb 22, 2012 5:19 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:
Garm never wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:I was talking about (healthy) atheists who object to the sound of people praying - in a hospice for the dying.

When exactly did hospices become places of atheist fascism? Oh, that's right: never.

Lion IRC never wrote:There is nothing "secular" or COMMUNIST about a hospice. It's not a place where Big Brother imposes its dictatorial church/state separation on our personal beliefs, "political correctness gone mad" versus 50,000 year old and still going strong theism. These are sick and dying people and their carers - LEAVE THEM ALONE!.

FIFY.


re-FIFY


Christianity goes back 50,000 years?

Oh, and by the way early Christians were communist.

Your really beginning to develop a knack for displaying your ignorance.

Big Brother? For your information it wasn't an atheist dictatorial institution that imposed a separation of of church and state in the US. It was the Supreme Court interpreting the constitution of the US.

Dawn is working in an institution that by her account is almost wholly funded by state and federal government money. Just like publicly funded schools individual or voluntary prayer should not be banned, but mandatory attendance of public prayer meetings and sermons should be, and are if supported by public funds.

The terms of the funding seem fair to me. From what Dawn has written early in this thread the institution is required to provide "Clergy" to those patients that want it. But there is no requirement for staff to attend mandatory sermons and participate in prayer on the governments dime.


Before you start in on people with accusations of ignorance note that you're the one asking the question.
I did not assert Christianity was 50,000 years old.
Go back and read it again. Then we'll talk.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
User avatar
Lion IRC
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 4077

Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#145  Postby gleniedee » Feb 22, 2012 5:34 am

An anecdote for what it might be worth;

I was working in a small office there were just five of us. One of the blokes suddenly became a born-again-Pentacostal. He began exclaiming "PRAISE THE LORD!" ,loudly and often.This not only caused me to bite end off my biro more than once,it was also extremely annoying.

I explained to him that this behaviour was very distracting and inappropriate in an office and asked him to tone it down.He ignored me.

Next morning I took him aside. Gathering as much sincerity as I could,I looked him straight in the eye and promised to punch his lights out if he did not cease and desist. I was bluffing,but he didn't know that.He desisted immediately.
gleniedee
 
Name: glen dee
Posts: 575
Age: 67
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#146  Postby z8000783 » Feb 22, 2012 6:58 am

These are sick and dying people and their carers - LEAVE THEM ALONE!.

I can't disagree with that.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783
 
Name: WTF
Posts: 9292
Age: 61
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#147  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Feb 22, 2012 7:26 am

I bet if you posted this on a christian website you'd get lots of support. Most sane people (religious or not) agree it's wrong to impose the religious practices of one particular branch of a religion in a workplace that contains people who don't associate with those beliefs. (because obviously once you allow one set of beliefs to hijack a government funded workplace, you open the floodgates for all sorts of crazy shit)

But never underestimate the lengths some people will go to defend Jesus' place in the workplace. ie: equate the act of opposing religious oppression to that of oppressing religious people!

Because we all know in JesusLand... If christians don't possess the right to violate the human rights of other citizens, it means their rights are being infringed upon by the government!!!

yeeeehhhaaaawwww!!!! let me get my gun, lets go on a good old fashioned witch hunt!!!!
User avatar
Ihavenofingerprints
 
Posts: 6681
Age: 21
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#148  Postby Garm » Feb 22, 2012 8:52 am

Lion IRC wrote:There is nothing "secular" or COMMUNIST about a hospice. It's not a place where Big Brother imposes its dictatorial church/state separation on our personal beliefs, "political correctness gone mad" versus 50,000 year old and still going strong theism. These are sick and dying people and their carers - LEAVE THEM ALONE!.

Point missed entirely. Go back and reread the thread.

This thread isn't about religious views being forced upon patients, but about employees being forced to attend religious rituals during staff meetings. Plus, Dawn's already explained that...
Hospice chaplains are supposed to offer spiritual support to patients and families at their request and in a way that is respectful to them no matter what religion they have.

...which makes your hysterical rant about 'leaving sick and dying people alone' entirely superfluous to this discussion. We are not talking about patients being withheld spiritual support, because that's simply not what's at stake here. Central to the issue is staff being forced to attend religious rituals. Try to stick to the topic.
~ Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant ~
User avatar
Garm
 
Posts: 849
Age: 36
Male

Country: The Netherlands
Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#149  Postby Fallible » Feb 22, 2012 10:19 am

Lion IRC wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:A hospice - a place where people go to die - offering spiritual support, a place which has bereavement services and chaplains, clergy and employees who are Christians.....

Shocking! I can't imagine how hard that must be for you - a healthy person - to have to put up with.

I know!

Maybe you can find work at an atheists-only hospice.

FIFY


There is nothing "secular" about a hospice. It's not a place where you impose church/state separation, "political correctness" on sick and dying people and their carers. I'm astonished that a great big strong healthy atheist cant cope with something as culturally ORGANIC and central to our spirituality as human beings as prayer - also referred to in the bible as meditation.


I'm continually flummoxed by the way you seem totally happy to misunderstand every fucking point made in any given thread. You still don't understand that these prayers DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE FUCKINGT PATIENTS, THEY ARE FOR STAFF ONLY. And yet you continue to refer to the patients as though they have the first fucking thing to do with it.

It's nothing to do with not being able to 'cope' either, as you so delightfully misrepresent Dawn's opinion, it's about WHY SOME PEOPLE'S PERSONAL PREFERENCE FOR BELIEVING ABSURDITIES MEANS THEY GET TO FORCE THAT PERSONAL PREFRERENCE ON EVERYONE ELSE AT WORK.

Why don't you ask yourself why a tribe of great big strong healthy theists can't cope with the prospect of a day's work without having to trample over everyone else's rights, just to get their imaginary friend fix, like junkies on a come-down. You won't. Because that would be far too uncomfortable.
Image
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 29951
Age: 41
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#150  Postby Fallible » Feb 22, 2012 10:22 am

amkerman wrote:
Fallible wrote:So...she shouldn't suck it up if she's being forced to pay attention, but otherwise she should. :scratch:


She should suck it up anyways because failure to comply could mean her job, but I fail to see the point in mandating attention of non-believers (or anyone, for that matter) If the prayer is wholly irrelevant to the objectives of the staff meeting.

Edited for completeness of thought.


So you don't think that rather than suck it up she should challenge the fact that she is being made to do something which is not in her contract.
Image
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 29951
Age: 41
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#151  Postby zulumoose » Feb 22, 2012 10:31 am

Lion, how exactly does one impose church/state separation on personal beliefs?

Personal beliefs are personal, and unaffected by anything imposed short of brainwashing or drugs.

It is only specifically NON-personal aspects of belief, the aspects that affect others, that can be separated by a church/state ruling.

Hence the separation of church/state, INCREASES freedom of personal pursuit of belief by specifically NOT imposing the structures of specific belief outside a setting where they they are voluntary.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 1410

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#152  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 22, 2012 5:50 pm

The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.


(With a tip of the hat to the "Only an asshole quotes himself" meme.)
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 13509
Age: 58
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#153  Postby orpheus » Feb 22, 2012 7:01 pm

amkerman wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
amkerman wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:

So you accept that they are disobeying their messiah?

Dawn said that they receive govt funds so it would seem that the constitution should cover it. However like so many people who believe in fantasies they have gotten around to insisting that others believe their fantasies too.


I make no determination on whether they are disobeying their messiah.

You fail to understand the constitution then, it seems.

No one is making her believe anything. To "make" someone belive is nearly impossible, unless of course you are weak minded.



"You make no determination..." Cute.

So does the constitution allow the establishment of religion in a govt funded workplace now?


No one has shown that they have established a religion.


But there is ample precedent that it is illegal for businesses that receive government funding to do precisely what Dawn describes.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
User avatar
orpheus
 
Posts: 6693
Age: 49
Male

Country: New York, USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#154  Postby Shrunk » Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

orpheus wrote:But there is ample precedent that it is illegal for businesses that receive government funding to do precisely what Dawn describes.


I'm not sure if this is an Establishment case so much as a case of religious discrimination. You simply cannot force an employee to participate in a religious activity, unless it is a necessary and inherent part of the job. And that holds regardless of whether the business is gov't funded.

Either way, it seems clearly illegal to me.
Last edited by Shrunk on Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 19528
Age: 49
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#155  Postby tolman » Feb 24, 2012 12:37 pm

zulumoose wrote:Lion, how exactly does one impose church/state separation on personal beliefs?

Personal beliefs are personal, and unaffected by anything imposed short of brainwashing or drugs.

It is only specifically NON-personal aspects of belief, the aspects that affect others, that can be separated by a church/state ruling.

Hence the separation of church/state, INCREASES freedom of personal pursuit of belief by specifically NOT imposing the structures of specific belief outside a setting where they they are voluntary.

I think you're forgetting that in the feeble minds of some believers, the freedom they most want is the freedom from doubt that comes from having everyone else pandering to (ie 'respecting') whatever belief system they have chosen (or, more likely, have been indoctrinated into).
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman
 
Posts: 4935

Country: UK
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#156  Postby Dawn » Feb 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Shrunk wrote:
orpheus wrote:But there is ample precedent that it is illegal for businesses that receive government funding to do precisely what Dawn describes.


I'm not sure if this is an Establishment case so much as a case of religious discrimination. You simply cannot force an employee to participate in a religious activity, unless it is a necessary and inherent part of the job. And that holds regardless of whether the business is gov't funded.

Either way, it seems clearly illegal to me.


I agree.
User avatar
Dawn
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 429
Age: 48
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#157  Postby Dawn » Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm

tolman wrote:
zulumoose wrote:Lion, how exactly does one impose church/state separation on personal beliefs?

Personal beliefs are personal, and unaffected by anything imposed short of brainwashing or drugs.

It is only specifically NON-personal aspects of belief, the aspects that affect others, that can be separated by a church/state ruling.

Hence the separation of church/state, INCREASES freedom of personal pursuit of belief by specifically NOT imposing the structures of specific belief outside a setting where they they are voluntary.

I think you're forgetting that in the feeble minds of some believers, the freedom they most want is the freedom from doubt that comes from having everyone else pandering to (ie 'respecting') whatever belief system they have chosen (or, more likely, have been indoctrinated into).


This is what I don't get. Even back when I was sent to a scary fundie school growing up they were very strict supporters of separation of church and state. Even they understood that freedom came from separation. The people who want pandering to their beliefs are really not thinking this through. I guess thinking isn't part of the equation for them.
User avatar
Dawn
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 429
Age: 48
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#158  Postby Mister Agenda » Feb 28, 2012 11:20 pm

Lion IRC wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:A hospice - a place where people go to die - offering spiritual support, a place which has bereavement services and chaplains, clergy and employees who are Christians.....

Shocking! I can't imagine how hard that must be for you - a healthy person - to have to put up with.

I know!

Maybe you can find work at an atheists-only hospice.

FIFY


There is nothing "secular" about a hospice. It's not a place where you impose church/state separation, "political correctness" on sick and dying people and their carers. I'm astonished that a great big strong healthy atheist cant cope with something as culturally ORGANIC and central to our spirituality as human beings as prayer - also referred to in the bible as meditation.


I used to volunteer at a hospice. I was very popular and got many referrals. Turns out a lot of people don't want to spend their last days getting preached at, even if they aren't atheists themselves. One codger said 'Send over that damned atheist, at least he's not trying to get me to pray every ten minutes!'.
User avatar
Mister Agenda
 
Posts: 543
Age: 52
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#159  Postby Fan_Tomb » Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

The terrorism of the jungle and growling gut, it never changes.

Best Wishes to you,
FT
User avatar
Fan_Tomb
 
Name: Franklin Henderson
Posts: 26

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Atheist dealing with religion in the workplace

#160  Postby Fallible » Mar 13, 2012 11:30 am

:ask:
Image
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 29951
Age: 41
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests