WL Craig: The Kalam Cosmological Argument

Craig's arguments for God, Pt 2

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: WL Craig: The Kalam Cosmological Argument

#1601  Postby sturmgewehr » Aug 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Rumraket wrote:

No empirical evidence is cited in your quote. You're merely quoting an old interpretation of the standard big bang model.

Sturhm, why do we go over this so often?

This 1985 quote changes nothing. It's the same bullshit apologists cite over and over again. The "beginning of the universe" is an extrapolation from the hubble constant and always was. The furthest back in time we can directly see is the cosmic microwave background radation, which, even IF the classic big bang model is correct (which we simply don't know), is about 300.000 years AFTER this supposed beginning.

So, this is just a quote from 1985 from a physicist who says what the classic big bang theory says. The classic big bang theory is a model, it is not itself empirical evidence. We don't know what happened before the microwave background, it's that simple.

There are three main lines of evidence that there was some kind of big bang (that the universe was very small and very hot):

A) The distribution of matter in the elements hydrogen, helium and beryllium in the early universe.
    B) The existence of the cosmic microwave background radiation(and it's specific temperature and the fluctuations thereof).
    C) That the universe is expanding.

None of these three observations entail that there was a litteral beginning of time itself before which there was nothing. It is an extrapolation from the 3rd observation: the universe is expanding. They simply extrapolate back in time and get to a singularity. Fuck, even if the universe was a singularity, it still doesn't follow that this singularity didn't simply exist eternally in some other state before this.

You really need to learn to separate models from the evidence for the models. The evidence we have is evidence of a "hot and dense" state of the universe some time in the past. It is not evidence for an ultimate beginning. Case closed.

Then why is Craig representing it as something important and I am wondering why would Burrow and Tiples say that there was literally NOTHING prior to the big bang, I mean they seem to be very respectable scientists.

To be honest this week I have been reading a lot of materials on the KCA issue, I read Quentin Smith, a lot of stuff by J L Mackie and Graham Oppy, I read the discussions between Smith, Oppy and Craig, Smith seems to be very articulate and I learned a lot of new things by reading Smith and Oppy. Oppy seems to disagree with Smith on some issues, it seems like he is sitting on the fence.

I am also very thankful to you guys for willing to discuss this boring matter with me.

I would like to cite some of Oppy's criticism on Smith's paper.

so here I go:

(B) The second main point of contention between Craig and Smith--debated in IV, V and VI--concerns the question of whether the Big Bang requires a cause. Craig holds that it is a kind of "metaphysical first principle" that everything which comes to be has a cause of its coming to be (156); whereas Smith holds that "it is probably true that either the universe began without cause at the beginning of the current expansion, either (1) subsequent to a singularity of infinite density, temperature and curvature, and zero radius, or (2) at a singularity with finite and non-zero values, or (3) in a vacuum fluctuation from a larger space or a tunnelling from nothing, or the universe spontaneously began to exist at the beginning of some prior expansion phase under conditions described in (1), (2), or (3)" (129). I think there is room to disagree with both authors;[2] I also think that their discussion proceeds with insufficient attention to the different things which one might mean by "cause". In particular, the discussion of whether virtual particles appear uncaused in the quantum-mechanical vacuum is marred by a failure to distinguish between material and efficient causes, and more generally by the absence of any serious discussion of the connections between physically necessary conditions and causes.[3] A further problem, in evidence in Craig's writing, is the tendency to use slogans--such as "nothing comes from nothing"--as rhetorical substitutes for arguments, e.g. against the view that there could be things which come to be despite the absence of any prior physically necessary or physically sufficient conditions for their coming to be.

Source: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ ... mith2.html

About the highlighted part, I don't know how can Oppy be confused by what they mean by cause, cause is cause, the Singularity either had a cause or it didn't.

Smith presents a useful account of some of the theoretical considerations which are alleged to support the claim that the universe began from something like an initial singularity--e.g. the Hawking-Penrose theorems--together with some more impressionistic details about the underlying mathematics and physics. Again, I think that he sometimes slips up. For example, in his discussion of infinitely old oscillating universes, he writes: "Smith and Weingard allude to a possibility I have not considered. ... [They] do not elaborate on which model they have in mind, but [their discussion] brings to mind the de Sitter model of the universe." (131) In fact, I am sure that Smith and Weingard must have been adverting to a Robertson-Walker solution discussed on p.139 of Hawking and Ellis.[7] As Hawking and Ellis point out, the solution in question does seem to be in conflict with observational evidence, so this oversight doesn't upset Smith's argument against oscillating universes.

Which solution in question?? and, is Smith's Infinitely old Oscillating universe compatible with BBT and current observable evidence or...??

Smith is much more enthusiastic than Craig about recent scientific speculation about the early stages of the universe, e.g. inflationary scenarios, grand unified theories, supersymmetry, vacuum fluctuation models, creation of dark matter, etc. As Craig rightly points out, there is as yet little or no evidence which supports these hypotheses; and the non-technical explanations which physicists give of their content often seems to be confused--e.g., proponents of vacuum fluctuation models often seem to get into trouble with claims about the evolution of the universe from literally nothing when they mean evolution from a pre-existing vacuum.[8] However, it is also the case that we are very far from having a complete account of the early stages of the universe--e.g. we don't yet have a consistent story about the evolution of stars, galaxies, clusters and superclusters--so the same kind of methodological caution suggests that there is room for scepticism about the standard Big Bang model and the idea that the universe began from something like an initial singularity. Even now, it is not inconceivable--though it is, I grant, unlikely--that some kind of steady state theory might turn out to accord better with the evidence. But then it seems to me that, at the very least, a pro tem agnosticism about the temporal origins of the universe--and hence about further inferences to supernatural causes etc.--is an entirely respectable position.

So, there is no evidence to support Vacuum Fluctuation Models.

This means that the Classical BBT which starts with a singularity is the best explanation, this gives Craig space to slip his God in and Oppy thinks this is an entirely respectable position.

Craig's argument about the status of the initial singularity is curious. He claims that "the metaphysician is rational in interpreting the ontological status of the singularity as nothingness" (225), by supposing that "the temporal series is like a series of fractions converging to 0 as a limit: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, ...., 0" (224). While I agree that this is an excellent suggestion, it seems to contradict Craig's own claims about the impossibility of physically instantiated infinities. Moreover, it suggests a further possibility which was overlooked in the discussion of causes for the Big Bang: viz. that the series of caused events is also like the given series of fractions, and (hence?) not in need of any external cause. At the very least, talk about "objects popping into existence from nothing", etc. would seem to be quite inappropriate on this picture, since every event--including every event which involves an object coming into existence--is caused by an earlier event.

How does that contradict Craig??? and why is Craig equating the Singularity as nothing.

First of all what is this Singularity, I was reading Smith, he said the Singularity is a physical point of infinite pressure and density and then Craig says it is a Mathematical concept, now if Craig says this is a Mathematical Concept that means an actual singularity never existed then how can he say that the Universe originated from this BB Singularity, can a Universe originate from a mathematical concept or from something physical?
sturmgewehr

Albania (al)
Print view this post

#1602  Postby Scar » Aug 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Learn some physics.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1603  Postby sturmgewehr » Aug 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Scar wrote:Learn some physics.

Ahaaaaaaam.

John Burrow and Tipler learned Physics, the ones I cited above and Craig is citing them because they support ID and Creationism.

It would be good if u tried to answer few of the questions I posted instead of making this kind of statements.
sturmgewehr

Albania (al)
Print view this post

#1604  Postby Scar » Aug 28, 2013 6:56 pm

sturmgewehr wrote:
Scar wrote:Learn some physics.

Ahaaaaaaam.

John Burrow and Tipler learned Physics, the ones I cited above and Craig is citing them because they support ID and Creationism.

It would be good if u tried to answer few of the questions I posted instead of making this kind of statements.

I'd rather have you learn some science and find out what the vast majority of actual professionals in the field think. Not these gross misrepresentations from apologetic nutcakes.

I'm past arguing against this kind of bullshit.
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1605  Postby Rumraket » Aug 28, 2013 6:58 pm

Stuhrm, I will be back later to address some fundamental epistemological issues you have with the status of the classic BBT. Very quick hint: it is not superior, in terms of what evidence there is to support it, to any other contemporary cosmological model. There is no empirical justification for believing the classic BBT, especially not OVER any other contemporary model.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1606  Postby sturmgewehr » Aug 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Rumraket wrote:Stuhrm, I will be back later to address some fundamental epistemological issues you have with the status of the classic BBT. Very quick hint: it is not superior, in terms of what evidence there is to support it, to any other contemporary cosmological model. There is no empirical justification for believing the classic BBT, especially not OVER any other contemporary model.

OK, I will be waiting for your reply, it would be good if u could suggest me some literature which is gonna point me to the right direction in understanding all this mess about the beginning of the universe, and, thanks a lot for being patient with me, thanks to u and the rest of the guys who have been trying to evince the issue to me.

Scar wrote:

I'd rather have you learn some science and find out what the vast majority of actual professionals in the field think. Not these gross misrepresentations from apologetic nutcakes.

I am trying to learn some science but it is very hard to do so when you are struggling to learn German, study for my masters entrance exam and my 6 days a week kitchen Job.
sturmgewehr

Albania (al)
Print view this post

#1607  Postby Scar » Aug 28, 2013 9:18 pm

sturmgewehr wrote:
Rumraket wrote:Stuhrm, I will be back later to address some fundamental epistemological issues you have with the status of the classic BBT. Very quick hint: it is not superior, in terms of what evidence there is to support it, to any other contemporary cosmological model. There is no empirical justification for believing the classic BBT, especially not OVER any other contemporary model.

OK, I will be waiting for your reply, it would be good if u could suggest me some literature which is gonna point me to the right direction in understanding all this mess about the beginning of the universe, and, thanks a lot for being patient with me, thanks to u and the rest of the guys who have been trying to evince the issue to me.

Scar wrote:

I am trying to learn some science but it is very hard to do so when you are struggling to learn German, study for my masters entrance exam and my 6 days a week kitchen Job.

Well, I can help you with German if you have some questions^^
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1608  Postby Rumraket » Aug 28, 2013 10:45 pm

sturmgewehr wrote:

To understand what we actually have evidence for, you have to understand a little bit of the history behind big bang cosmology. It is a deep misunderstanding to think that the classic big bang theory has some kind of special evidential support over other contemporary theories. It doesn't, it simply came first and primarily for that reason, has been the most cited and most generally accepted theory for the early universe and it's origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Big_Bang_theory
This gives a decent overview of the history of big bang cosmology, why it was invented in the first place and what it says. This is important, because understanding the history behind the different ideas tells you what evidence lead to their proposals.

Basically what happened was that two independent lines of evidence implied that the universe was smaller (not that it had an ultimate beginning) in the past, than it is now.

1) One was that Einstein's general relativity implied that space had to be either expanding or contracting, it would not remain static. Is this actually evidence that time began? Nope.

2) The other was the observation that galaxies are moving way from each other at a speed proportional to their mutual distance. Having observed this, Edwin Hubble all the way back in 1929, put the observed redshifts of distant galaxies in a logarithmic coordinate system and drew a straight line through them. The obvious implication of this line was that everything had to have been closer together in the past. How close together is of course the big question and it wasn't lost on anyone.

Basically what happened then, was that physicists went with Hubble's graph in one form or another (Hubble got the rate of expansion off by about 10%, which wasn't too bad), and simply extended the line so far back in time they could until they arrived at a point. Literally, everything would have had to have been collected into a single point infinitely small. Now obviously, the drawing of this line all the way back to a time when the universe would have been contracted into a single point, is fundamentally an extrapolation and nothing more. Extending your data points beyond what you observe is to extrapolate, by definition.

Anyway, having done this, physicists then went on to ask themselves: "supposing space was really fucking small, hot, and dense in the past, but subsequently expanded to the size we see today, what would we expect to see?".

They then went calculating, using their understanding of the physics of atoms and the very small (quantum mechanics and atomic physics) and arrived at two major predictions:
They would expect to see a specific distribution in the elements available in the early universe. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis

They would expect to see a more or less uniform band of radiation, emanating from all directions, of a certain temperature in the microwave range. The cosmic microwave background radiation. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background

These were at the time the two major predictions of ... what, exactly? A hot and dense state - hot and dense enough that at one point, all matter in the universe was in the form of high-energy radiation.

While initially the idea had been to extend Hubble's law all the way to a singularity (the infinitely small point of infinite temperature and density), there is no requirement that there ever was a singularity (this is still just an extrapolation), in order for us to be able to explain that the universe was hot and dense enough for all matter to have existed in the form of radiation.

We have no actual evidence that the universe was a singularity, that it was that small. We have no actual evidence of an ultimate beginning. The evidence we have is the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of light elements in the early universe.

Now, since that time, other lines of evidence has been added, still supporting that the universe was hot and dense enough to create the CMBR and the distribution of light elements, such as early galaxy formation and the large-scale structure of the universe (how galaxies are arranged into clusters, which are spread out more or less in a "network" pattern). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence

None of this evidence implies that the extrapolation all the way to a singularity is justified. Not to mention that to go a step further and suggest that at some point, there wasn't even any singularity at all, but a philosophical void of non-being, is to make shit up wholecloth.

What is even worse, we know that general relativity, the very theory of spacetime that predicts that the universe should not remain static, actually breaks down under sufficiently hot and dense states. This means general relativity is incomplete, something is missing. So we can't use general relativity to argue that there was a singularity, or that time has an ultimate beginning.

So when we're talking about the classic big bang theory, and the evidence for it, it's important to be specific and say what we mean. We can say there definitely was a big bang. What does this mean? It means that the universe was certainly extremely small at one point, and that all observed matter and energy was packed into this very hot and dense state - and subsequently expanded very rapidly while cooling off. Where it came from, whether it was even smaller still, we simply do not know. That last extension of the line in Hubble's coordinaty system, back to a supposed t=0, is an extrapolation. It isn't actually required for the theory to work, and there are many other suggestions that propose entirely different scenarios for the early universe. Early meaning the time before the formation of the CMBR and big bang nucleosynthesis.

Here comes the important point: The competing models to the classic bing bang theory (with it's singularity extrapolation) PREDICT THE SAME THINGS, POST-PLANCK-TIME, AS THE CLASSIC BIG BANG THEORY DOES:
1. The CMBR.
2. Distribution of light elements.
3. Large scale structures in the distribution of matter (galaxies, clusters, superclusters etc. etc.)
4. Galaxy formation etc.

So in this respect, they all have equal amounts of evidence for them. Because they all explain what we observe, at least to the degree of accuracy we have done the observations. There are differences between them, but they require even better and more accurate observations of the patterns in the CMBR and stuff like that, than current instruments have been able to detail.

So, since we have multiple different hypotheses that all explain the same set of observations, should we then really believe any particular one? No, we shouldn't. The classic bing bang model with an extrapolated singularity, was simply the first model on the scene. It made sense to do at the time, to draw the line through the data points and simply extend it all the way into a singularity and then ask that "what if?" question. But that is all it is, a line on a piece of paper. It is not itself evidence of a singularity. To have evidence of a singularity you'd have to derive predictions unique to a singularity and observationally confirm them. We have no such evidence.

So the state of modern cosmology is this: Shut up and calculate. Come up with theories, see if you can derive testable predictions. If you can, test them. We don't know what happened before the planck time, it's that simple.

But cosmologists are human beings, and some of them are religious and like everyone else, have their biases and their pet theories. And then there's religious apologists, who in their disengenous ways, like to quote cosmologists who support the classic big bang theory for whatever reason (either because it's the one that came first and therefore the one they first came to know about and all that, or... ), and through that try to present a false picture of some sort of consensus among cosmologists.

It's in effect an appeal to authority fallacy. But it's even worse, because their authority is synthetic, there is plenty of competition with the classic big bang extrapolation. Craig and company like to quote that shitty Barow and Tipler book endlessly, as if it constitutes an extant consensus on modern cosmology, and even worse, as if some kind of consensus on an extrapolation is evidence that that extrapolation is justified. Quick hint: it isn't. Either there is empirical evidence for it or there isn't, and there isn't.

So what should you believe? At this point in time, only that the universe was very small, hot and dense, about 13.8 billion years ago, and subsequently expanded very rapidly, cooled off, matter started forming etc. etc.
That's it. We don't know what happened before this, there are many competing models. Heck, we already know our current models all have major holes in them. Who predicted dark matter and dark energy? Noone did, which means our understanding of nature at cosmological scales is seriously lacking. So this isn't the time to start taking bets and believe hype by religous apologists. We have to wait for the evidence to decide.

That evidence won't be coming from philosophers. And it most certainly won't be coming from religious apologists. It is pretty obvious why people like Craig are so enamored with the classic big bang model, they think they can bend it to support their theistic views. Of course, even THAT I would take issue with, because even if the universe was a singularity, it doesn't follow it came from nothing. But that's a discussion for another time. I hope this clarifies the subject a little for you.

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by Rumraket on Aug 29, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1609  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 29, 2013 12:11 am

It did for me, thank you.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1610  Postby Animavore » Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1611  Postby THWOTH » Aug 29, 2013 9:00 am

sturmgewehr wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

No empirical evidence is cited in your quote. You're merely quoting an old interpretation of the standard big bang model.

Sturhm, why do we go over this so often?

This 1985 quote changes nothing. It's the same bullshit apologists cite over and over again. The "beginning of the universe" is an extrapolation from the hubble constant and always was. The furthest back in time we can directly see is the cosmic microwave background radation, which, even IF the classic big bang model is correct (which we simply don't know), is about 300.000 years AFTER this supposed beginning.

So, this is just a quote from 1985 from a physicist who says what the classic big bang theory says. The classic big bang theory is a model, it is not itself empirical evidence. We don't know what happened before the microwave background, it's that simple.

There are three main lines of evidence that there was some kind of big bang (that the universe was very small and very hot):

A) The distribution of matter in the elements hydrogen, helium and beryllium in the early universe.
    B) The existence of the cosmic microwave background radiation(and it's specific temperature and the fluctuations thereof).
    C) That the universe is expanding.

None of these three observations entail that there was a litteral beginning of time itself before which there was nothing. It is an extrapolation from the 3rd observation: the universe is expanding. They simply extrapolate back in time and get to a singularity. Fuck, even if the universe was a singularity, it still doesn't follow that this singularity didn't simply exist eternally in some other state before this.

You really need to learn to separate models from the evidence for the models. The evidence we have is evidence of a "hot and dense" state of the universe some time in the past. It is not evidence for an ultimate beginning. Case closed.

Then why is Craig representing it as something important and I am wondering why would Burrow and Tiples say that there was literally NOTHING prior to the big bang, I mean they seem to be very respectable scientists.

They may indeed be respectable but what was the context of what they said? I don't know. It's clear that Dr Craig thinks that science has inadvertently provided some kind of proof that the the universe had a super-natural cause. To be clear, Craig cites his own report of a statement by Tiples as justification for his own claim that science confirms "the philosophical arguments for the beginning of the universe." However, breaking down that quote we can easily see Craig using an apologetic slight-of-hand: framing a question that science and reason do not appear to answer and then invoking a miraculous dose of Goddidit...

Something cannot come from nothing >> Science tells us the universe came from nothing >> Therefore the existence of the universe shows that science is wrong and Craig's postulate, being the only alternative explanation on offer, must be true, according to the eliminative principles of Holmesian common-sense. Goddidit - and we're told that science cannot challenge Craig's postulate because he has already defined the limits of science by saying that it cannot penetrate the boundary of the singularity, though his reason is free to transcend it.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1612  Postby sturmgewehr » Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks a lot Rumraket :), I appreciate your effort a lot.

I just have some more questions, I haven't been following physics since I graduated from High school but as far as I can remember I had good grades, anyways I don't think high school physics matters when we are talking about Big Bang Cosmology cuz we have only mentioned this stuff but never learned anything in detail or anything at all for that matter.

Now as far as I remember the Second law of TD says that Energy can't be created nor destroyed.

I was reading Wes Morristons rebuttal to the KCA and I found this:

According to Craig we know that God, the first cause of the universe exists outside time “prior” to creating the universe. But why suppose that God is the only being who exists outside time? Why couldn’t there also have been a timeless “stuff” that God formed into a universe?
Craig thinks he can rule out this possibility on the ground that physical matter and energy are temporal in nature.

Now what does the last one mean?? does that mean that Energy had a beginning in time, does this violate the 2nd Law of TD?
sturmgewehr

Albania (al)
Print view this post

#1613  Postby Rumraket » Aug 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I think he means that matter and energy requires the universe itself to exist, and spacetime is a property of the universe, so in that sense, Craig is trying to say that whatever caused the universe must exist "outside" it, and therefore be "without time" or a-temporal.

Yes, it violates thermodynamics.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1614  Postby Animavore » Aug 29, 2013 6:23 pm

That's an Orson above. In case no one got it.

http://garfield.wikia.com/wiki/Orson_Pig
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1615  Postby sturmgewehr » Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Rumraket wrote:I think he means that matter and energy requires the universe itself to exist, and spacetime is a property of the universe, so in that sense, Craig is trying to say that whatever caused the universe must exist "outside" it, and therefore be "without time" or a-temporal.

Aham, I thought so too but isn't the Singularity a point where the universe's energy was on top of itself??

Isn't this singularity a point of infinite density and pressure?? now infinite density and pressure of what?? Energy would be the logical answer.

Now if it was a point of infinite density, pressure and temperature that means that energy can exist a-temporarily since space and time break down in this singularity, hmmmmm seems a tad bit complicated.
sturmgewehr

Albania (al)
Print view this post

#1616  Postby Rumraket » Aug 29, 2013 8:03 pm

sturmgewehr wrote:
Rumraket wrote:I think he means that matter and energy requires the universe itself to exist, and spacetime is a property of the universe, so in that sense, Craig is trying to say that whatever caused the universe must exist "outside" it, and therefore be "without time" or a-temporal.

Aham, I thought so too but isn't the Singularity a point where the universe's energy was on top of itself??

Isn't this singularity a point of infinite density and pressure?? now infinite density and pressure of what?? Energy would be the logical answer.

Now if it was a point of infinite density, pressure and temperature that means that energy can exist a-temporarily since space and time break down in this singularity, hmmmmm seems a tad bit complicated.

You're right, which is why Georges Lemaître, the first one to proposse this singularity, said it wasn't evidence of god, that nature explained itself. And this is despite him being a priest. The point has since been lost on contemporary apologists like William Lane Craig.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1617  Postby Animavore » Aug 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Rumraket wrote:
sturmgewehr wrote:

You're right, which is why Georges Lemaître, the first one to proposse this singularity, said it wasn't evidence of god, that nature explained itself. And this is despite him being a priest. The point has since been lost on contemporary apologists like William Lane Craig.

And, in fact, when Lemaître formulated this the Pope at the time, Pope Pius, proclaimed that they had found evidence for Genesis, the Creation. Of course newspapers, particularly Catholic ones, spread the story wide and far. Lemaître had to write to the Pope and tell him to quit it because it he thought it might put off the scientists who he was trying to reach with his idea if they thought it could possibly be religious mumbo-jumbo.
The Pope never mentioned it again. But the damage was done and Craig is a shard of the shrapnel.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1618  Postby willhud9 » Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm

So how do we have a point of singularity exist indefinitely until the rapid expansion which formed from the big bang? This suggests that there had to be something (another universe perhaps?) around the point of singularity and not the nothingness which many creationists would subscribe towards. If thermodynamics says energy can neither be created nor destroyed, and also that energy in a closed system moves towards entropy, than either the big bang was sudden and the point of singularity was suddenly there or the point of singularity received energy from outside. I like the multiverse idea.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1619  Postby Animavore » Aug 29, 2013 8:21 pm

The mutliverse is certainly the one I find most aesthetically pleasing. Of course reality doesn't seem to care what I find pleasing. As it has demonstrated to me repeatedly :sigh:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1620  Postby Rumraket » Sep 14, 2013 11:37 am

Attention: Craig fucks himself up the ass, again, for the 20th time.

http://youtu.be/V82uGzgoajI?t=45m50s

This is 45minutes and 50seconds into a discussion with Lawrence Krauss. Craig agrees that nothing really begins to exist, like we all have said countless times, because it didn't come from nothing. Exactly as we've been telling Mick among others, they can give us no examples of things that really begin to exist to support the premise that to do so must be caused. Every example they give will be of something changing from one thing into another. That is, of stuff that already exists, evolving spatiotemporally into another object.

We have Craig on paper admitting this, and now in speech too. Everything we know of has material causes.

Contrast what Craig says above in the discussion with Lawrence Krauss at 45:50 with what he says here to begin with:

:picard: :picard: :picard: ... to infinity and beyond!
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity