Ground Invasion Started

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ground Invasion Started

#241  Postby Byron » Jul 24, 2014 6:39 am

A general statement on the historical rights and wrongs: rehashing them doesn't help to solve this. Nation states aren't moral actors. Whether Jewish immigration to the Levant was right or wrong, it happened, Israel has existed for over 60 years, and it isn't going anywhere.

This is only going to be solved by the Israeli government, and the Palestinian government/s, negotiating a sovereign Palestinian state. The New Republic has published a first-rate inside scoop on the latest failed talks: long, but well worth the read. What emerges aren't two groups of zealots, but two weary groups of politicians capable of a negotiated compromise, but hostage to their own extremists.

Realpolitik will, I have no doubt, eventually solve this, but only after a way can be found to sideline the zealots.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#242  Postby Mike_L » Jul 24, 2014 7:57 am

Steve wrote:What makes me sick is I pay taxes that are used to pay to escalate this mess. That fact leaves a very very bad taste in my mouth.

3-minute video...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#243  Postby mrjonno » Jul 24, 2014 8:41 am

Saying Arab's should fling open borders to Palestinians is like saying the UK should fling open its borders to Poland and Turkey. Or the US to Mexico because they are all 'American' or 'European'

While I do have some sympathy for people who choose being able to work and live everywhere they want (ie the ideals of the EU) its a bit different when they are forced to.

Language is important and generally when the Palestinians are called 'Arabs' you have a fair idea where that persons sympathy is with and its not the Palestinians.

George Galloway constantly calls Israel a white European/American settler state (which is correct) but guess where his sympathies are with
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am

Byron wrote:
As I said, why isn't this issue better known,

Better known where? By whom?

Byron wrote:and why do Arab states get such an easy ride on the matter?

Not from me at least, but this is a completely seperate issue from the current conflict in Israel/Palestine.
Naturalising Palestinians in the neighbouring Arab countries won't solve this conflict.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Pebble » Jul 24, 2014 6:17 pm

Byron wrote:
I didn't say that Arab states should fling open their borders to Palestinian refugees: I said they should offer all those already resident (the vast majority of whom are born there) the right to naturalize and integrate. Since they're already living there, it has nothing to do with resources and demographics, and everything to do with ideology. I did mention Jordan earlier in this regard, but even they're lukewarm at best, and revoked the citizenship of thousands of Palestinians a few years back (a decision since reversed).

As I said, why isn't this issue better known, and why do Arab states get such an easy ride on the matter?

As you say this was politics and poorly implemented, but helped to expose Israeli behaviour toward former residents of the West Bank:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2010/02/01/jordan-stop-withdrawing-nationality-palestinian-origin-citizens

"Jordanian officials have withdrawn their nationality ostensibly for failing to possess a valid Israeli-issued residency permit for the West Bank. But this condition for citizenship has no clear basis in Jordanian law. Such permits are notoriously difficult - if not impossible - to obtain given Israel's restrictive policies on granting West Bank residency rights to Palestinians."

"Two weeks before its expiration, I traveled from Kuwait to Amman and from there to the West Bank. At the crossing bridge, I gave the Israeli soldier my permit, and copies of the previous renewals. A while later, she came back and said, "You did not renew your permit." She had lost the last renewal form."
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jul 24, 2014 6:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Ihavenofingerprints wrote:If you so strongly feel it's all proportionate then go and join the Israeli army. maybe you can have the pleasure of pressing the button to launch the next air strike on defenceless homes. that'll teach them to elect a bunch of crazy leaders. come to think of it, any country who elects a bunch of violent war mongers should be flattened with explosives. that should be the only requirement.

:boohoo:

Cry harder.

So Israel should do what when its bombed? Just sit back? Maybe abolish its country and move someplace else? Because that's feasible. :roll:

You think crying is a bad response to innocent people being killed?
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#247  Postby aban57 » Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:Absolutely, and I don't understand why Israel doesn't see that time isn't on their side. They're losing; they can't destroy the opposition, because if they become too bloodthirsty they lose the last shred of legitimacy they have in the world, and they could easily be overtaken by the military power of Turkey, Iran, Syria, Egypt and the Gulf states if they went for some sort of genocidal attack on Gaza and the West Bank. If genocide is what they gamble on they will even lose the support of the US, and they would be finished. So they need to gamble for diplomacy.

It is not fucking genocide. My fucking God.

Do people not understand English or is it reinvent words to mean something it doesn't. Israel is NOT FUCKING SEEKING TO EXTERMINATE EVERY PALESTINIAN IN PALESTINE.

Until you can get your minds around that simple fact youre point is nothing but bullshit. Plain and fucking simple.

Actually you're right. It's not a genocide, it's re long-term relocation.
Every time a palestinian leaves his home, for any reason, some israelian associations buy this home and install an israelian family inside. That's also a simple fact. And what is best to make people leave their home than a "war" targetting pretty much only civilians ?
With this and all the illegal settlements, there won't be any palestinian left there in 50 years.

Especially since the US is doing nothing to make things better. This week, the UN voted a resolution to start an investigation on Israel war crimes, the vote went this way : 29 for, 17 abstentions, 1 against. Guess who ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#248  Postby mrjonno » Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

UN definition of genocide, there is no need to physically kill every member of a group to commit genocide. Israel is committing genocide

"Article II: In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 24, 2014 9:19 pm

only because I was curious:

Gaza
Population - 2014 estimate 1,816,379
Killed so far in 16 days 750
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#250  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jul 24, 2014 9:42 pm

That's about 3 times the number of people in MH17, that plane that was shut down. And yet here in the Netherlands we had an outpouring of public grief and outrage over the plane and not much over Gaza.

Regardless of who is to blame: let's just remember this is a tragedy, and behave and communicate accordingly.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Acetone » Jul 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:That's about 3 times the number of people in MH17, that plane that was shut down. And yet here in the Netherlands we had an outpouring of public grief and outrage over the plane and not much over Gaza.

Regardless of who is to blame: let's just remember this is a tragedy, and behave and communicate accordingly.

Where's the outrage for the people being killed by Ukraine? Oh wait we support Ukraine so they are called collateral, always so confusing.

Them damn zionist Jews though.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#252  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Acetone wrote:Them damn zionist Jews though.

Ron Paul blames Obama. I had no idea he was Jewish too.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#253  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Jul 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Acetone wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:That's about 3 times the number of people in MH17, that plane that was shut down. And yet here in the Netherlands we had an outpouring of public grief and outrage over the plane and not much over Gaza.

Where's the outrage for the people being killed by Ukraine? Oh wait we support Ukraine so they are called collateral, always so confusing.

What are you saying, are you assuming I don't feel sorry for anyone who suffers in the Ukrainian conflict? Of course I do. It's a tragedy whenever there are innocent people ending up as victims of any conflict, wherever it happens and for whatever reason.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Pebble » Jul 25, 2014 6:59 am

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Acetone wrote:

What are you saying, are you assuming I don't feel sorry for anyone who suffers in the Ukrainian conflict? Of course I do. It's a tragedy whenever there are innocent people ending up as victims of any conflict, wherever it happens and for whatever reason.

Given that what was so special about the Malaysian passanger jet - other than thouse people could afford to fly - just like us?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#255  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2014 9:53 am

Pebble wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Acetone wrote:

Given that what was so special about the Malaysian passanger jet - other than thouse people could afford to fly - just like us?

Over a 100 Dutch people died.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#256  Postby Mike_L » Jul 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Deliberate massacre in Gaza...

Murderers of women and children... dancing joyously and blessing artillery shells...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#257  Postby ED209 » Jul 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Fucking sickos :nono:

There was an odd article in the extremist liberal UK newspaper Independent the other day (it's basically the daily mail for vegan beard and sandal wearers) 'debunking' a picture that purportedly showed israeli children writing 'funny' messages like "from israel with love" on artillery shells that would be fired at the palestinians. The debunking consisted of noting that admittedly the pictures showed precisely that, but dated from a few years ago instead :eh:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#258  Postby Steve » Jul 25, 2014 11:35 pm

As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Acetone » Jul 25, 2014 11:49 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:
Acetone wrote:

No, I'm pointing out the disproportionate amount of anger and sadness and talk about supreme morality.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#260  Postby epepke » Jul 26, 2014 12:07 am

Byron wrote:A general statement on the historical rights and wrongs: rehashing them doesn't help to solve this. Nation states aren't moral actors. Whether Jewish immigration to the Levant was right or wrong, it happened, Israel has existed for over 60 years, and it isn't going anywhere.

Unless it does. Which I suppose could happen, but it probably wouldn't matter all that much, because the world wouldn't be around that much longer.

This is only going to be solved by the Israeli government, and the Palestinian government/s, negotiating a sovereign Palestinian state.

There isn't a Palestinian government. There may be a Palestinian something-or-other. But whatever it is, it has to be sub-government, because it if were a government, people might wonder why they didn't do the things that governments do, like collect taxes and dig wells and build power plants and houses and squat around in tents for a half century and say that things would be great if it weren't for all the Jews.

Governments either take and keep their territory and people, by force if necessary, and if they don't, or if they aren't aggressive enough, then somebody else takes it. That's how nations work. That is not what is going on here.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs