Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#6881  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2014 2:21 am

Animavore wrote:I went ahead and tried Divinity: Original Sin on my laptop at lowest resolution and quality. I'm getting about 3-5fps :lol:

Dammit. If the laptop was just a little bit more powerful it would be playable.

This kind of game could very well be played from cloud - latency is not issue. No need for much hardware on receiver. Even console can, in theory, stream to notebooks.
tuco

Print view this post

#6882  Postby Animavore » Jul 28, 2014 7:26 am

tuco wrote:
Animavore wrote:I went ahead and tried Divinity: Original Sin on my laptop at lowest resolution and quality. I'm getting about 3-5fps :lol:

This kind of game could very well be played from cloud - latency is not issue. No need for much hardware on receiver. Even console can, in theory, stream to notebooks.

PS4 can stream to PS Vita.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6883  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 28, 2014 10:09 am

Played the Destiny beta for a good chunk of the weekend. Put a pre order in and I guess I'll activate my PS Plus next month. Thoroughly enjoyed the unscripted events and the drop in drop out multi player.

The only questions I have are about the length, and how the classes and gear options will diverge as you level up. I only played Hunter and Warlock, both felt pretty similar until you unlocked the super attack. Couldn't figure out if there were shield or weapons bonuses for each class. The only difference is that I got a different starting special weapon The Hunter specific attacks seemed to charge faster, but the Warlock seemed to have more punch and that was accounting for gear bonuses.

Even my girlfriend enjoyed it, though she was rather silly and chose to wait until the dying hours of the beta to play and get hooked.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6884  Postby tuco » Jul 28, 2014 10:17 am

Animavore wrote:
tuco wrote:

PS4 can stream to PS Vita.

I am aware. Nvidia is selling gaming Android tablet to stream to. I was just hinting at future ;) Games like D:OS need keyboard. Streaming to inexpensive, light, portable, multimedia devices like Chromebook. I believe in cloud and cross-platform.
Last edited by tuco on Jul 28, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#6885  Postby Animavore » Jul 28, 2014 10:33 am

Speaking of Destiny. My short review I just put on the PlayStation forum.

Pros and cons everywhere.

The very first thing I noticed was the lacking character creation screen. I was sure I'd seen a demo before where you could adjust eye-spacing and shape and all that stuff we're used to from games like Mass Effect. Instead you're very limited in facial types, hair types and body shapes. You don't even get to pick some gear or customise your colours. You can't customise colours until level 20, which doesn't make sense to me. There seems to be a lot of customising content which doesn't begin until level 20.

The Guardians all operate more or less the same with some minor stat differences in only three bars with no incentive to play in any specific style or load-out. The Warlock and Titan's specials are practically the same. I watched a video on The Hunter last week and there seemed to be some sexy stealth moves after level 15 when you can begin to incorporate a second element so I assume it's the same for the other two. Hopefully it's not too liner in the final game.

Getting into the first mission the game had some solid gunplay. It was really easy to pick up and start blasting. However, as I progressed through the game I noticed the guns seemed to lack the variety seen in Borderlands and the elemetal buffs didn't seem to really do anything.

The enemy AI is pretty intelligent and they do their best to try hide in cover or flank and swamp you, but there just doesn't seem to be that much of them. This is one of a few areas you can tell it is being held back by the last gen. I would've preferred swarms of enemies throwing themselves at me from all angles like World War Z. After playing the Moon level also it's starting to look like the bad guys we've seen are pretty much all there is. I hope this isn't true and will have to wait to see more, hopefully closer to the release date.

The levels themselves, the two we got to play (Earth and Moon), are pretty same-ish. They look very different, but when you play them it's obvious they're similar maps with different skins. They even had the exact same caves. I'm not convinced any of the other levels will be much different. The missions are pretty much the same also. The Strike mission was my favourite and I hope the final game has lots of these with plenty of boss types. Again, with Bungie holding their cards so close to their chests, this remains to be seen and I've not seen any compelling evidence that this will be the case and I fear more repitition.

The multiplayer was pretty fun, especially the Iron Banner maps (two maps for a limited time, Earth and Mars). The two maps we had for most of the beta (Earth and Venus), I felt, were two of the worst maps they could've showcased. It's going to be interesting to see how the multiplayer goes when people get over level 15 and we begin to see people triple-jumping and gliding, going into stealth mode and pulling crazy specials.

Overall I think the game has potential, and I'll be waiting to see some more late game stuff and see if it addresses the issue of lack of variety in gameplay, classes and customisation, but without some patching and serious arm-twisting from the community I can't see them doing anything to address the areas in which it is hobbled by last-gen.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6886  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am

Animavore wrote:Speaking of Destiny. My short review I just put on the PlayStation forum.

The Guardians all operate more or less the same with some minor stat differences in only three bars with no incentive to play in any specific style or load-out. The Warlock and Titan's specials are practically the same. I watched a video on The Hunter last week and there seemed to be some sexy stealth moves after level 15 when you can begin to incorporate a second element so I assume it's the same for the other two. Hopefully it's not too liner in the final game.

Titan gets a sort of bubble shield which they can deploy to cover themselves and others, not sure the Warlock gets.

After playing the Moon level also it's starting to look like the bad guys we've seen are pretty much all there is. I hope this isn't true and will have to wait to see more, hopefully closer to the release date.

There are more enemy groups confirmed for the other planets.

The levels themselves, the two we got to play (Earth and Moon), are pretty same-ish. They look very different, but when you play them it's obvious they're similar maps with different skins. They even had the exact same caves. I'm not convinced any of the other levels will be much different. The missions are pretty much the same also.

Repetition of areas does look a worry, I think this is where we get fleeced. I fear the game is going to be quite small 10-15 hours story, with map packs and new areas opening up with DLC. There are two "launch DLC", otherwise known as bits of the game we're going to charge you extra for.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6887  Postby Animavore » Jul 28, 2014 11:28 am

I think I'm going to trade in Watch Dogs this Friday and get The Last of Us: Remastered. Although I did get to play it last year on my friend's naughty PS3, I never got to get into the multiplayer. Plus this version has all the single and multiplayer DLC bundled in, all for the low price of 45 quid.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6888  Postby tuco » Jul 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Playing Doom on an ATM

it has stereo amplifier! :)
tuco

Print view this post

#6889  Postby MattHunX » Jul 29, 2014 10:58 pm

LOL

You fuckers!!!

I've been playing FIREFALL for the past 4 hours or so....beta but heck...it's fucking awesome. Good community. Lots of helpful people! Sssshuuuge. 8-)
Last edited by MattHunX on Jul 30, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#6890  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 30, 2014 9:23 am

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Speaking of Destiny. My short review I just put on the PlayStation forum.

Titan gets a sort of bubble shield which they can deploy to cover themselves and others, not sure the Warlock gets.

Warlock can either become a glass cannon, or the party healer/ buffer/ door sealer.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6891  Postby tuco » Jul 30, 2014 12:05 pm

MattHunX wrote:LOL

You fuckers!!!

I've been playing FIREWALL for the past 4 hours or so....beta but heck...it's fucking awesome. Good community. Lots of helpful people! Sssshuuuge. 8-)

Did you mean Firefall? You TPB people! :P Just saw it on Steam. It says sci-fi MMO shooter.
tuco

Print view this post

#6892  Postby MattHunX » Jul 30, 2014 2:01 pm

tuco wrote:
MattHunX wrote:LOL

You fuckers!!!

I've been playing FIREFALL for the past 4 hours or so....beta but heck...it's fucking awesome. Good community. Lots of helpful people! Sssshuuuge. 8-)

Did you mean Firefall? You TPB people! :P Just saw it on Steam. It says sci-fi MMO shooter.

HAHA!!!

Yeah sorry...

The gamer is fucking awesome.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#6893  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 30, 2014 5:52 pm

:lol: :rofl:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6894  Postby aban57 » Jul 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Canadian is already sometimes difficult to understand for us frenchies, but this is just torture :)
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#6895  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 30, 2014 7:34 pm

aban57 wrote:Canadian is already sometimes difficult to understand for us frenchies, but this is just torture :)

Indeed and I'm not even French. :lol:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6896  Postby Animavore » Aug 01, 2014 4:53 pm

So I got The Last of Us. It's the same game just with higher definition, resolution, better texture and lighting and that super-smooth 60fps. Well worth it, in my opinion, as I got for nothing by trading in old games. It also has the Left Behind DLC which I haven't yet played, but is supposed to be amazing.

And of course there's the multi-player, which I also never got to play when I loaned the game last year. I've played just 3 rounds and I love it all ready. It's a completely different pace to other third or first person shooters. Running gives you away and rushing into your opponents is certain death. It takes co-ordination and teamwork, for reals this time. An unco-ordinated team will be divided and conquered no problem. It's all a lot creeping about, jumping through windows, getting around and flanking. If you get the jump on your enemy you'll almost certainly come out on top. Crafting weapons on the fly the longer you survive to further increase your survival works really well.

It seems I have a natural knack for playing this way. Top of the table on my very first go. The satisfaction of getting behind the enemy and shivving him like a trout is - Ahhh!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6897  Postby Animavore » Aug 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Oh wow! Just when I thought The Last of Us couldn't be improved in any way I play the Left Behind DLC.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6898  Postby Kaleid » Aug 02, 2014 10:39 pm

I just got Super Street Fighter IV Arcade for my 360. The last time I played was SF2 back on my SNES, and dare I say I was an absolute undefeatable monster with Chun Li. Some of the moves are the same, but they have these fancy new-fangled Super Combos and things now.

I put it in, went online, and played against a few people. And I have had my arse utterly handed to me :waah:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6899  Postby Thorham » Aug 03, 2014 4:03 pm

Chaos Strikes Back on my Amiga, and Skyrim (NOT on my Amiga ;)).
Thorham

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#6900  Postby Strontium Dog » Aug 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Matt8819 wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:Dishonored has been on my list since I first became aware of it, essentially a spiritual successor to the awesome Thief games, much like the Bioshock games take their riff from Looking Glass's other classic series, System Shock, there is simply no way that game can be anything other than excellent.

You may also want to keep an eye out, if you aren't already, for the new Thief game that's in development. Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution made by the same studio/publisher team is a really damned good game.

I can't remember whether I bought DX:HR before or after your recommendation, however I finally got round to playing it and I can safely say that it was a good recommendation.

Now, I actually did quite like Invisible War, but it didn't feel that much like the original Deus Ex. Human Revolution, however, has that unmistakeable Deus Ex feeling. It's an excellent game and a worthy prequel.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games