Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#5481  Postby Mike_L » Aug 15, 2014 9:02 am

ED209 wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Speaking at the 2014 ComicCon, the writers/producers stated that season 5 will hew closely to the comic book series. Not having read any of the original Robert Kirkman story, I don't know whether that's a positive or a negative. I have, however, seen a few random panels during an image search of Charlie Adlard's artwork... including one in which Coral ...er... Carl gets shot in the face!

Wonder if that means glenn meets lucille soon

Arrgh! I succumbed to the temptation and read the Wikipedia synopsis of the comic book series (spoilers at link).
If, as the writers of the TV series disclosed at the recent 2014 ComicCon, the show will closely follow the comic, I may just decide to give up on The Walking Dead. Hate to say it, but the comic book just seems to go nowhere that's new, different or exciting...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Plot points from the comic-book series
There's another community (The Hilltop Colony), squabbles and factionalism, an opposing group (The Saviours)... and another murderous psychopath in the form of Negan... Glenn is killed, and Carl gets shot (again).
It's basically just a repeat of the story arc involving Woodbury and The Governor!

I find myself thinking of the pitfall into which the producers and writers of The X-Files fell... show becomes wildly successful, so there's the temptation to "milk it" for all it's worth... and so the story gets drawn out for so long (with themes recurring over and over) that all but the most dedicated die-hard loses interest long before the final wrap.
:nono:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#5482  Postby KeenIdiot » Aug 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
scott1328 wrote:My problem with Walking Dead is that the writers string you along episode after episode with no plot development and slow moving boring stories and then, just when you are about to give up on the whole thing, they throw in a whammo episode that is exciting, and unexpected, and moving, and then rinse and repeat.

They keep killing off the characters I enjoy watching. The end of season 3 was almost unforgivable for that reason. I'm only watching it for Carol, Beth, and Tara. The last in particular.

If it keeps to the comics, then pretty much everyone dies at various points.
Rick and Carl are the only constants.
CdesignProponentsist wrote:I've given up on The Strain. It's too goddamn campy.

It's weird to say this, but for me it's to close to the comics. Makes me feel like I've already watched it.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5483  Postby Spinozasgalt » Aug 16, 2014 10:14 am

KeenIdiot wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:
scott1328 wrote:My problem with Walking Dead is that the writers string you along episode after episode with no plot development and slow moving boring stories and then, just when you are about to give up on the whole thing, they throw in a whammo episode that is exciting, and unexpected, and moving, and then rinse and repeat.

They keep killing off the characters I enjoy watching. The end of season 3 was almost unforgivable for that reason. I'm only watching it for Carol, Beth, and Tara. The last in particular.

But they have a gay character. No tv show would kill off a gay character.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5484  Postby scott1328 » Aug 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
KeenIdiot wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:

They killed off the gay character's girlfriend...was she not gay?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5485  Postby Animavore » Aug 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Has anyone noticed Garfunkel and Oates now have their own show?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5486  Postby Spinozasgalt » Aug 17, 2014 12:53 am

scott1328 wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:
KeenIdiot wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:

They killed off the gay character's girlfriend...was she not gay?

No, she was bi. Her backstory is that she once dated Rick before the zombie apocalypse but he broke her heart and she could no longer be open to love. So when everyone died she lived a simple life of berry-picking and gun maintenance, until she finally met up with the group and learned to feel again. Then she saw the gay girl and was struck by her marvelous energy and openness and began to feel love again. When the group attacked the prison, she didn't recognise Rick because of quantum mechanics and he hadn't shaved. So it was a great irony that she was fighting against his group and a sad tragedy that the crazy kid killed her.

Not everyone gets this, because you have to follow the clues very closely.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5487  Postby MattHunX » Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

Oookay...

Whoever writes the dialog for certain characters in FALLING SKIES needs to quit.

I mean characters like Maggie and Hal suddenly use expressions like "coursing through my veins" and "gain access", five minutes into the episodes...what the f---? Where...? Since when do these two talk like that?

It's as if they'd suddenly have Pope's character turn polite. Thankfully every other character seems constant in their vocabulary. Including some character development. But for those two, above, the stuff they suddenly say sounds very out of character. :-|
MattHunX

Print view this post

#5488  Postby scott1328 » Aug 18, 2014 11:26 pm

For you Walking Dead fans and former fans, this explains a lot: Kirkman says Darryl might fancy blokes. Eat your heart out ladies.

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/08/walkin ... e-gay.html
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5489  Postby catbasket » Aug 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Having read many good things about it here we are finally getting around to watching The West Wing. Currently half way through Season One and it's looking good. :thumbup:
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5490  Postby DougC » Aug 21, 2014 11:00 am

Expect Agrippina to be on line more. :grin:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5491  Postby Agrippina » Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am

catbasket wrote:Having read many good things about it here we are finally getting around to watching The West Wing. Currently half way through Season One and it's looking good. :thumbup:

It's wonderful. I absolutely adore that show. :thumbup:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5492  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Agrippina wrote:
catbasket wrote:Having read many good things about it here we are finally getting around to watching The West Wing. Currently half way through Season One and it's looking good. :thumbup:

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5493  Postby Agrippina » Aug 21, 2014 2:58 pm

I've just watched the first two episodes of The Knick. I think I could enjoy this show.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5494  Postby Nicko » Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

Agrippina wrote:

Wonderful writing.

The Foreign Policy is all fucked up, but there's actually some good insights into the day-to-day horse trading and image management that politics involves.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5495  Postby Nicko » Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm working my way through The Sopranos at the moment. I'm on the fourth season.

It's good.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5496  Postby Agrippina » Aug 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Nicko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Wonderful writing.

The Foreign Policy is all fucked up, but there's actually some good insights into the day-to-day horse trading and image management that politics involves.

Yes, I learnt a lot about how politics actually works from that show. I truly thought the president had more power than he does before I saw that show. What an eye-opener. Wouldn't it be great if the government was really as liberal as that group of people are?

Nicko wrote:I'm working my way through The Sopranos at the moment. I'm on the fourth season.

It's good.

It's very good. I watch both of them at least once a year and enjoy them every time.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5497  Postby Animavore » Aug 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Just watchign a show called, Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Hilarious.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5498  Postby ED209 » Aug 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Animavore wrote:Just watchign a show called, Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Hilarious.

It's very good. Gets better after season 1 with the arrival of Danny de vito
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#5499  Postby Nicko » Aug 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Agrippina wrote:Yes, I learnt a lot about how politics actually works from that show. I truly thought the president had more power than he does before I saw that show. What an eye-opener. Wouldn't it be great if the government was really as liberal as that group of people are?

The whole premise of the show - to me - is the idea that the standard of political discourse, and the standards of the people involved in politics, could be a lot higher than it actually is. Which is something I do agree with Sorkin on.

Agrippina wrote:
Nicko wrote:I'm working my way through The Sopranos at the moment. I'm on the fourth season.

It's good.

It's very good. I watch both of them at least once a year and enjoy them every time.

The thing I find hardest to get on board with is the lack of sympathetic characters. Everyone is a scumbag, an idiot, or both. Which is deliberate, I know.

Just when you are actually sympathising with Tony, for example, he'll do something childishly violent or cold-bloodedly sociopathic.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5500  Postby The_Piper » Aug 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Adriana is the nicest mobster. :lol:
Last edited by The_Piper on Aug 24, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV