Green Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Green Party watch

#21  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 15, 2014 5:57 pm

jez9999 wrote:
I'd happily live next to a nuclear power plant compared to a wind turbine.
:what:

Their opposition to nuclear is so utterly ludicrous I'm not going to bother looking at their energy policies, because they operate on a false premise. I will tackle their stupid nuclear claims (which I'm sure I've read before, which is why I pretty much ruled out voting for them):

The Green Party prefer renewables in general it seems. You really prefer nuclear that much? Why? How is it so superior to renewables?

1) Nuclear power will not help meet our short-term carbon reduction targets to prevent the risk of runaway climate change.

• In the UK, nuclear power provides less than 4% of our energy.

This is ludicrous problem-stating. We don't have much nuclear now? Well, build some more then! Also, where do they get the 4% figure from? Wikipedia says it was 19% in 2012, so this just seems like an outright lie.

They're just saying that nuclear power isn't going to solve our problems; ie it's something of a red herring. I don't know why you trust the wiki figure over the Green figure. How do you know it's an outright lie? Anyway, I agree this point is largely irrelevant - they're probably just stating that it's not like we are tied into nuclear in a massive way through strong reliable tradition.

We don't run our cars on nuclear power, and we don't heat our homes with nuclear power. And housing (27%) and transport (21%) comprise 48% of the UK's total carbon emissions.

I can tell they're just trying to find reasons to oppose nuclear power instead of actually analyzing the situation. We don't run our cars on or heat our homes with wind turbines either, do we? It's called electricity, Greens. Look it up. Oh, you did, that's why you propose using wind turbines to create electricity for... cars and heating. Seriously, this "justification" is so facile I feel like punching whoever wrote it.

Again, they're just saying that nuclear power isn't going to solve our problems; ie it's something of a red herring. Perhaps it shouldn't be stated in that section of policy but then again it seems appropriate to point out the fact to people who are interested in nuclear power.

Globally, even if nuclear power capacity was quadrupled by 2050, the share of nuclear in world energy consumption would be below 10%. Doing that would require one new reactor to be built every 10 days from now until 2050. This would cost over US$10 trillion.

And they don't mention the equivalent cost for wind and solar because it would be higher. Disingenuous anti-nuclear nonsense.

How do you know the cost of renewables would be higher? You're also forgetting tidal and wave renewables. There's a lot of innovation in renewables technologies IIRC.

Nuclear power carries inherent risks, and is particularly vulnerable to the potentially deadly combination of human error, design failure, and natural disaster.

Utter crap. Modern plants with passive cooling are virtually impossible to cause death or even harm. But if your thinking is stuck in the 70s...
Meh, there's some risk of massive disaster. Certainly not no risk.

• Commenting on the risks of nuclear power, Caroline Lucas said:

"Since Chernobyl, nearly 800 significant problems and accidents have been officially reported to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

"If a catastrophe does happen, then the impacts when we're dealing with nuclear power are potentially uniquely catastrophic.

"Significant problems and accidents" do not equal "ohmygod everyone is going to die panic panic panic", you fucking fucking fucking morons. With all due respect. And Chernobyl was known to be a bad design of nuclear plant, even when it was being designed - 50 YEARS AGO.

How does a catastrophic accident not equal very bad exactly? I agree the likelihood of an accident is small however.

"The nuclear industry is engaged in a massive fight-back, trying to present itself as a safe clean energy of the future. Fukushima reminds us that nothing could be further from the truth."

Fukushima was older than Chernobyl and had been running for 50 YEARS, you fucking fucking morons. We are not talking about building a 50 YEAR OLD PLANT with 50 YEAR OLD designs.

That doesn't mean new designs are 100% safe.

3) Investing in nuclear power will deter investments in renewable energy.

Probably true, but that's only an issue if you've already accepted the ludicrous premise that nuclear is somehow worse than so-called renewable energy.
I don't think it's a ludicrous premise.

The nature of their opposition is so fundamentally flawed that I find it hard to believe their justifications for opposing it are actually genuine; I think they have an anti-nuclear doctrine, and the page you linked to is their attempt to justify that doctrine with totally broken logic and outright falsehoods. Yeah, thanks for reminding me why I rule out voting Green. How could one vote for a party that is so dishonest about something so important?

What have they been dishonest about again?

There's also the problem of dealing with nuclear waste, which whilst not insurmountable is at least dirty, smelly, ugly and dangerous. A bit like storing your poo at the bottom of the garden. I'm surprised that's not on the site - maybe it is somewhere else. :grin:

Do you think policing of uranium enrichment in Iran et al might be a problem? Wouldn't it just be better if everywhere went for renewables? Lead by example and all that - invest in R&D for the benefit of everybody?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#22  Postby minininja » Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
jez9999 wrote:
1) Nuclear power will not help meet our short-term carbon reduction targets to prevent the risk of runaway climate change.

• In the UK, nuclear power provides less than 4% of our energy.

This is ludicrous problem-stating. We don't have much nuclear now? Well, build some more then! Also, where do they get the 4% figure from? Wikipedia says it was 19% in 2012, so this just seems like an outright lie.

They're just saying that nuclear power isn't going to solve our problems; ie it's something of a red herring. I don't know why you trust the wiki figure over the Green figure. How do you know it's an outright lie? Anyway, I agree this point is largely irrelevant - they're probably just stating that it's not like we are tied into nuclear in a massive way through strong reliable tradition.

There's no reason to think it's a lie at all, - the wiki figure is referring only to electricity, the Green figure is referring to all energy, - and they go on specifically to talk about what is currently mostly non-electrical energy like transport and heating being the most major part of the problem. The point is we need an increase in the amount of clean electricity production to reduce carbon ASAP and, from what I've read, it seems it's faster, cleaner, safer and possibly also cheaper to do this with new renewables than new nuclear.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Peter Brown » Oct 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Because of the latest wizard weez from the Tories about banning smoking in parks, let us legalise cannabis then because we are all too stoned to walk, stay at home and laugh at the Tories instead.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#24  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Yup : D (and I don't even smoke that shiz no more).

DU405 Cannabis would be removed from the 1971 Misuse of drugs act. The possession, trade and cultivation of cannabis would be immediately decriminalised, roughly following the Dutch model. The trade in Cannabis would be the subject of a Royal Commission (see below), with a view to establishing a fully legalised, controlled and regulated trade. Small-scale possession of drugs for personal use would be decriminalised. The starting point would be advice to policing authorities to caution rather than prosecute for offences of drug possession for personal use and to refer offenders to the health-care services (see DU411). Subsequently, regulations would be brought forward removing criminal sanctions for simple possession of controlled drugs for personal use. The recommended sentences for small-scale supply would be non-custodial options. The possession of pipes made for the use in connection with smoking of opium would no longer be a criminal offence. A Royal Commission or similar body would be established to review currently controlled drug classifications, within a legalised environment of drug use. This commission would, after wide consultation, consider and recommend frameworks of social, economic and health conditions for drug use and supply.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/du.html
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#25  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Oct 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Although I do happen to think the Greens are dead wrong when it comes to the issue of nuclear power (and a number of other issues come to that), they are still probably the party I'll be voting for at the next election (assuming I don't decide to spoil my ballot). I've mentioned before which parties I certainly shan't be voting for.

As for the TV debates, I can think of no coherent criteria for selecting the participants which allows in UKIP but excludes the Greens.

I'm just going to leave these links here,

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-itv-channe ... l-election
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... on-debates
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... reen-party
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Today's Observer article; not a total media blackout then.

The resurgent Green party is to target a dozen seats across England, which it believes it could either win or come close to seizing in next May’s general election, as membership rises and confidence grows that it could outpoll the Lib Dems.

Last week, the number of Green party members in England and Wales passed 22,000 – a 57% increase since 1 January – with the number of young Greens (under-30s) having risen 100% to more than 8,000 since 1 March.

Party leader Natalie Bennett told the Observer that the weakness of the Tories, Labour and the Liberal Democrats, and the rise of Ukip, all pointed to the next election being the most difficult to predict of recent times, and one in which the Greens could realistically step in and gain half a dozen seats or more.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/18/green-party-general-election-12-seats-england
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#27  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Green politician Jenny Jones arrested in Occupy London protest

Police have arrested 15 demonstrators at Parliament Square including, for a brief period, the Green party politician Jenny Jones.

Jones, 64, chairwoman of the London assembly’s economy committee and deputy chair of its police and crime committee, went to see what was happening at the Occupy London protest on Tuesday morning after her office had been contacted by protesters complaining about heavy-handed police tactics.

She was arrested for “obstructing police” and could now face prosecution, Scotland Yard said.

It added that she was “de-arrested” after giving details suitable for a summons.

“The evidence in this case will be considered and a decision made whether to proceed with a prosecution,” a Met spokesperson said.

Jones said she was released because, “they [the police] don’t want more trouble”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/jenny-jones-arrested-occupy-london-protest
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#28  Postby minininja » Oct 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Well done Jenny Jones! :clap:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby wtargentina » Oct 22, 2014 3:58 pm

I would imagine that the Green party is against nuclear energy for some of the following reasons -

the problem of nuclear waste - still not solved and a problem for hundreds of future generations to deal with - some estimates say that the waste will need to be stored for the next 100,000 years - to put this in perspective 100,000 years ago humans still hadn't developed language

the massive financial costs - we all pay heavily for building the plant, running the plant and decommissioning the plant - Douneray in Scotland ran for only 19 years and will take £2.5bn to clean up with the site only returning to "normality" by the year 2336 (ie 322 years from now) the new plant being built in England at Hinkley will receive something like £30bn of public subsidies despite it apparently being a private enterprise

the environmental costs - the raw materials required have to be mined with a huge environmental cost - the extraction of the uranium ore for one plant for one year will leave approx 100,000 tonnes of toxic mill tailings - often in less developed countries with little or no proper regulations , The uranium ore then shipped halfway round the world using vast amounts of carbon based fuels - hardly helping emissions levels

the ongoing danger - remember fukushima? - or what about the dangers posed by a terrorist attack on a nuclear power plant; pretty unlikely I know but still with horrendous outcomes if successful.
wtargentina

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#30  Postby mrjonno » Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm

There are plenty of problems with nuclear power but there are plenty of issues with every other power source. A nuclear leak killing 2000 people every 30 years may be the price we have to pay to keep the lights on. Is that more or less terrible than flooding everyone due to global warming or pollution killing each more people.

The Green party belief civilization can continue without growth both of GDP and energy use through 'efficiency'. It's very wrong especially the 'efficiency' bit. The word efficiency is used by political parties with no real policies , ie we will reduce taxes through 'efficiency savings' or we will increase spending on the NHS through 'efficiency savings' etc.

Society as a whole is already pretty efficient
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby minininja » Oct 22, 2014 4:47 pm

mrjonno wrote:Society as a whole is already pretty efficient

Only if you are measuring efficiency in terms of profit. If society's goal is to be sustainable and fair (as Greens argue it should be) it is wildly inefficient. And the Green party has an extensive set of policies to that effect.
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Clive Durdle » Oct 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Society is not efficient. Look at zoning. It requires people to move from one part of the city to another, and probably park there. Look at the use of that car parking over 24 hours. If housing, it is used evenings and nights, offices shops day, evening.

Is there a problem with one car park being used all day and night, with shops, work space at ground level, offices middle levels housing above?

There are many examples of how to do things efficiently. We are not doing it well in the majority of cases.

Oh, and do this sort of stuff properly and centralised energy systems like nuclear become redundant.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby jez9999 » Oct 23, 2014 1:25 am

wtargentina wrote:I would imagine that the Green party is against nuclear energy for some of the following reasons -

the problem of nuclear waste - still not solved and a problem for hundreds of future generations to deal with - some estimates say that the waste will need to be stored for the next 100,000 years - to put this in perspective 100,000 years ago humans still hadn't developed language

Go and read up on integral fast reactors and pyroprocessing. The small amount of waste released by them has a half life of a few hundred years, which is more manageable, and they're 100 times as efficient at using the uranium (which is why there's much less long-term waste).

the massive financial costs - we all pay heavily for building the plant, running the plant and decommissioning the plant - Douneray in Scotland ran for only 19 years and will take £2.5bn to clean up with the site only returning to "normality" by the year 2336 (ie 322 years from now) the new plant being built in England at Hinkley will receive something like £30bn of public subsidies despite it apparently being a private enterprise

Building one big nuclear plant is not going to be more expensive than building (and maintaining) thousands of wind turbines, especially offshore ones.

the environmental costs - the raw materials required have to be mined with a huge environmental cost - the extraction of the uranium ore for one plant for one year will leave approx 100,000 tonnes of toxic mill tailings - often in less developed countries with little or no proper regulations , The uranium ore then shipped halfway round the world using vast amounts of carbon based fuels - hardly helping emissions levels

Evidence for this please? Especially when one considers that we have enough existing nuclear "waste" lying around in the UK for integral fast reactors to run for hundreds of years?

the ongoing danger - remember fukushima?

Yeah, the design was 50 years old and the plant had been running for 50 years under a totally corrupt and incompetent management regime in bed with the government. Nevertheless, it didn't kill anyone, unlike the tsunami which killed 20,000 people.

or what about the dangers posed by a terrorist attack on a nuclear power plant; pretty unlikely I know but still with horrendous outcomes if successful.

Evidence please? Some nuclear waste may be distributed around if someone flew a 747 right into a nuke plant, but this would be small beer compared to the death and destruction caused by flying a 747 into central London.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#34  Postby wtargentina » Oct 23, 2014 8:08 am

Go and read up on integral fast reactors and pyroprocessing. The small amount of waste released by them has a half life of a few hundred years, which is more manageable, and they're 100 times as efficient at using the uranium (which is why there's much less long-term waste).

Still unproven technology that hasn't been built anywhere in the world; funnily enough we cannot wait for the the technology to be invented to solve the problems of climate change, we need the solution now - BTW Hinkley C is not an IFR.

Building one big nuclear plant is not going to be more expensive than building (and maintaining) thousands of wind turbines, especially offshore ones.

Nonsense - just to get EDF to build Hinkley has meant the government has had to offer them exorbitant rates for the power they will produce, which is then linked to inflation. Why do you think all of the other possible producers walked away from the project - it's not economically viable without massive public subsidy.

Evidence for this please? Especially when one considers that we have enough existing nuclear "waste" lying around in the UK for integral fast reactors to run for hundreds of years?

Hinkley is going to use Uranium - where do you think this comes from? Hinkley is also going to be producing waste.

Yeah, the design was 50 years old and the plant had been running for 50 years under a totally corrupt and incompetent management regime in bed with the government. Nevertheless, it didn't kill anyone, unlike the tsunami which killed 20,000 people.

Yep and Hinkley is going to be using a design that is already being described as outdated - and it is expected to run until 2063. I agree that Fukushima hasn't yet killed anyone with radiation but 150,000 people had to move from their homes because of the dangers posed by the leak - is this a price worth paying? In addition what does the death toll of a natural event have to do with the Green party's antipathy towards nuclear power?

Evidence please?
- have a look for nuclear security on the web

Some nuclear waste may be distributed around if someone flew a 747 right into a nuke plant, but this would be small beer compared to the death and destruction caused by flying a 747 into central London.
- evidence please!
wtargentina

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#35  Postby mrjonno » Oct 23, 2014 8:37 am

Society is not efficient

Thinking in terms of running hospitals, use of energy or even business.

Sure with a lot of resources you may make them 10% more efficient with a pay back in decades but what's the point when we are probably going to need double the amount of hospital (budget) and energy anyway.

Where things are not efficient its because people like them being non-efficient, cars are a good example the only efficient use of personal cars is no use but people want that of course not.

When the Green party accepts massively world wide growing energy demands and the need for economic growth I will take it seriously. They may argue that the world will die if we don't cut back on energy use. Even if they are right then quite simply the world will die as the desire for energy is far greater than the desire to save the planet
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2014 10:59 am

So it seems that in many constituencies where the greens have a small historic presence many fairly intelligent people will vote labour or lib dem in order to keep the Tories and UKIP out of office. What arguments are there against this?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#37  Postby ED209 » Oct 28, 2014 11:30 am

Keep It Real wrote:So it seems that in many constituencies where the greens have a small historic presence many fairly intelligent people will vote labour or lib dem in order to keep the Tories and UKIP out of office. What arguments are there against this?

Only everything we know about electoral arithmetic and public opinion.

If ukip gain a significant number of seats it will be following a widespread torydem collapse resulting in a labour majority. Torydems should be positively encouraged to continue to split their votes and support ukip in droves. They are literally turkeys voting for xmas.

Voting yellow tory to keep out the blue tories makes zero sense. At best, you will return a tory arselicker in a yellow rosette who will vote alongside the blue tories everyday anyway. With tactical voting out of the window for them there is now literally no reason to vote yellow tory. Any residual localised strength is simply a shared delusion that labour or the greens can't contest the seat for now-invalid historical reasons and when the public inevitably cotton on to this (hopefully in time for May) the yellow tories are utterly fucked.

If your seat is a safe blue tory seat and you want them out, vote for either party who truly opposes them ie labour or green.

In a marginal blue tory seat, best to not split the left vote and vote tactically labour rather than green.

There are no safe yellow tory seats so again probably best to tactically vote labour to be sure of getting rid of them.

Then after May, with a labour govt and the greens solidly in fourth place and snapping at ukip's heels do everything to further raise the greens' profile to cement social economic and environmental responsibility firmly into our politics :thumbup:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#38  Postby minininja » Oct 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Keep It Real wrote:So it seems that in many constituencies where the greens have a small historic presence many fairly intelligent people will vote labour or lib dem in order to keep the Tories and UKIP out of office. What arguments are there against this?

Tactical voting just encourages the three main parties to keep doing what they're doing. I will never again vote for a party that almost entirely fails to represent me just because it's the lesser of two evils - I tried that last time with the LibDems and we all know how that turned out.

If labour lose this election because they've gone so far to the right that the left wing vote splits, it will be bad news for the next 5 years but will make a real change for the future. Either Labour will be forced back to the left or the left will rise up in another form.

Short term thinking is one of the main problems in politics. Other regions of the UK have their own successful left wing parties but it took them a long time before they got power to make a difference. There are no wasted votes if it helps a party grow, and the Green Party will save about £200,000 of their relatively limited funding if they get the majority of their deposits back - which requires 5% of the vote in any given constituency. And if they do relativity well, and the media are forced to pay attention, and the membership continues to grow as it has been, and they get many more councillors over the next few years, then in 2020 they may really be a force to be reckoned with.

What matters to you more, the next 5 years or the following 50?
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby mrjonno » Oct 28, 2014 1:04 pm

I think people really underestimate the anti-Green vote especially on the right. There are a lot of people who passionately hate environmentalism. If they are given a choice between doing something the green way and the non green even if all things are equal people will choose anti-green on principle

Green = nanny state , socialism, anti-capitalism ,internationalism and foreigners.

You aren't going to get many green UKIP supporters
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2014 7:42 pm

minininja wrote:

Tactical voting just encourages the three main parties to keep doing what they're doing. I will never again vote for a party that almost entirely fails to represent me just because it's the lesser of two evils - I tried that last time with the LibDems and we all know how that turned out.

If labour lose this election because they've gone so far to the right that the left wing vote splits, it will be bad news for the next 5 years but will make a real change for the future. Either Labour will be forced back to the left or the left will rise up in another form.

Short term thinking is one of the main problems in politics. Other regions of the UK have their own successful left wing parties but it took them a long time before they got power to make a difference. There are no wasted votes if it helps a party grow, and the Green Party will save about £200,000 of their relatively limited funding if they get the majority of their deposits back - which requires 5% of the vote in any given constituency. And if they do relativity well, and the media are forced to pay attention, and the membership continues to grow as it has been, and they get many more councillors over the next few years, then in 2020 they may really be a force to be reckoned with.

What matters to you more, the next 5 years or the following 50?

I find the points you make to be most persuasive. Well done! I'm voting Green ATM.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs