Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#38881  Postby Free » May 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I suppose you have hard evidence for this assertion?

Scholar is not protected profession so saying serious scholars means nothing.

Yes, and here's what you need to do to verify it.

1. Get educated, because obviously you're not.

2. After you get educated, read Humphreys web site.

3. After you read his website, use your education to either confirm or deny his bullshit.

4. Learn to use Google to know what professional historians actually think of Kenneth Humphrey's ridiculous assertions.

Here is a link to an atheist website which uses scholars to completely debunk Kenneth Humphreys ridiculous assertions:

http://atheistwatch.blogspot.ca/2010/12 ... me-of.html

Read it and weep.

:dance:
Last edited by Free on May 01, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38882  Postby Free » May 01, 2015 5:44 pm

dejuror wrote:
Free wrote:

This old myther trick from Kenneth Humphrey's has been conclusively refuted numerous times.

First of all, contrary to Humphrey's assertions, Philo was not some kind of "roving reporter" of historical events in Judea.

Secondly, Philo of Alexandria was called "Philo of ALEXANDRIA" because he lived in Alexandria, Egypt, and was no where near Jerusalem at the time.

Old HJers trick from "Free"!!!!!!!

What about Paul of Tarsus?

Tarsus was NO where near Jerusalem at that time.

Paul claimed he was a WITNESS that God raised Jesus from the dead.

God was NO WHERE at that time.

The dead is NO WHERE resurrected at ANY TIME.

The Pauline Corpus is just a pack of lies--historical garbage.

Yes yes yes ... we all understand what "you" are all about. We have seen enough to determine that every last argument you've presented is so off the wall and "out there" as to not be considered seriously.

But by all means, please carry on. At least you amuse us.

:popcorn:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38883  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Free I could not care an arse about humfry's bloody site. Your posts are the most useless on this whole forum.

Dont tell me what to do. Your insults have been noted and reported.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38884  Postby Free » May 01, 2015 7:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Free I could not care an arse about humfry's bloody site.

Really? You asked me what the opinions of the scholars were in regards to Humphreys' assertions, and when I post the links, you then throw up your hands and say you don't care about it?

Make up your mind then, dude. First you care, then you don't care when I back up my claims. Hilarious.

:lol:

Your posts are the most useless on this whole forum.

Can't be, since my post regarding Humphreys bullshit has forced you to run from the subject. I wouldn't exactly call that useless, but rather a lopsided victory.

Dont tell me what to do. Your insults have been noted and reported.

Now what insults would they be? Do you always make shit up when you can't contest an argument?

:lol:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38885  Postby dejuror » May 01, 2015 8:43 pm

dejuror wrote:

Old HJers trick from "Free"!!!!!!!

What about Paul of Tarsus?

Tarsus was NO where near Jerusalem at that time.

Paul claimed he was a WITNESS that God raised Jesus from the dead.

God was NO WHERE at that time.

The dead is NO WHERE resurrected at ANY TIME.

The Pauline Corpus is just a pack of lies--historical garbage.

Free wrote:

Yes yes yes ... we all understand what "you" are all about. We have seen enough to determine that every last argument you've presented is so off the wall and "out there" as to not be considered seriously.

I am delighted that you mention "off the wall and out there" because you forget you wrote that Jesus was born AFTER MARY was raped by Panthera.

Your claim is not only off the wall and out there " but is total "baseless imaginative fiction".
dejuror

Print view this post

#38886  Postby Oldskeptic » May 01, 2015 9:08 pm

angelo wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:
angelo wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:
There's only a few dozen executions in that lot - if there really is a meticulous documentation, you'd expect a few more don't you think? - and I am not that sure that e.g. John the Baptist's execution really is documented in any "meticulous records" either, so that's clearly not an example from those "meticulous records" about which you speak.

The executions mentioned here were of some note. If a Jewish rabbi with even a small following who caused some disturbance in downtown Jerusalem got himself executed, like most stories of interest it would have gotten a mention. That John The Baptist not getting a mention only increases the likelihood that the episode was added to the Jesus myth as to collaborate it!

Yes, of course. So where'd this guy find those particular executions listed? I bet you it wasn't official Roman records. The source you refer to does list John the Baptist! I think you misconstrued my point.

Ultimately, my point is this: I have never seen any credible evidence of these meticulous records.

There was a contemporary of Jesus who wrote extensively about that particular period of Jewish history...

Philo was a philosopher not a historian, and his main concern was with interpreting the Hebrew Bible not reporting current events in Jerusalem.

...who was right there when the events are supposed to have happened, who also is completely silent on matter of a HJ.

Which events? The article you linked to is a refutation of Jesus as portrayed in the gospels and miraculous events, not a refutation of a Jesus that these myths were heaped upon.

I speak of Philo of Alexandria. A roving reporter of that time that missed the whole shebang!

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/philo.html

Philo was not a roving reporter. Where did you come up with that shit?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38887  Postby Oldskeptic » May 01, 2015 9:32 pm

angelo wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:
angelo wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:
Yes, of course. So where'd this guy find those particular executions listed? I bet you it wasn't official Roman records. The source you refer to does list John the Baptist! I think you misconstrued my point.

Ultimately, my point is this: I have never seen any credible evidence of these meticulous records.

There was a contemporary of Jesus who wrote extensively about that particular period of Jewish history who was right there when the events are supposed to have happened, who also is completely silent on matter of a HJ.
I speak of Philo of Alexandria. A roving reporter of that time that missed the whole shebang!

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/philo.html

You are dodging the question. Meticulous Roman records. Any evidence they exist?

I'll throw the question right back at you. Where's your evidence they didn't keep meticulous records. I posted a link, where's your?

The Romans did keep records of current events and senate proceedings, but, as has been pointed out already, none of them survive. I notice that Zwaarddijk's question is for evidence that they exist not that they ever existed. The point is that we don't have any of these meticulous records today so not only do they not mention Jesus they don't mention anything. It's not like there is a grand archive of Roman records that can be combed for references to everything and anything.

All we have is some ancient historians mentioning that they used these records in the form of the Acta Senate and the Acta Diurna. Josephus is one Tacitus is another. Others used them also and mentioned them, that's how we know they existed. We know them by their use, and one of the uses they were put to was references to a Jesus that started a cult that became Christianity.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38888  Postby IanS » May 01, 2015 10:01 pm

RealityRules wrote:Perhaps you might like to address this post, Free -
RealityRules wrote:
Free wrote:Dude, it's called the Burden of Proof. Since the Jesus Mythicist position claims that Jesus was a total myth, you are therefore required to demonstrate this un-evidenced assertion with actual evidence to support it.

The Burden of Proof is an ethic based around the statement that "he who avers must prove"

It is the HJers that aver a historical Jesus [so, ethically, the HJers are obliged to prove]

HJers aver Jesus on the basis of the NT, and dubious non-NT texts. Nothing else.

Of course it does not need me to comment that you are of course right to point out that the burden of "proof" in this issue rests first & foremost with all those who say Jesus was real. That is the claim from which all subsequent discussion of Jesus emanates - it all comes from that initial claim that Jesus was a real person.

But everyone here can see what Free is attempting to do, and what Tim O'Neil also tried for years to do, and that is to quite untruthfully claim that any sceptics who have the temerity to express serious doubts about the claimed evidence of a HJ, must produce some alternative specific myth theory of Jesus, even though in 99% of cases the sceptics who were being charged with that task of endorsing some specific myth theory and who were repeatedly being labelled as "uneducated mythers", were and are, actually saying no more than that the evidence is simply not good enough to support a belief that Jesus was more likely than not to have been a real human person.

That's a very deliberate & intentional misrepresentation which Free, Stein, Tim O'Neil and a great many HJ people continue to make, & to make repeatedly, delivered also with all sorts of personalised abuse. Even though sceptics like me, and almost all sceptics here afaik (except possibly dejuror), have replied to them literally hundreds of times in posts stressing that all that most sceptics are saying is that the bible, which is really the only primary source for even the bare mention of any messiah called "Jesus", is simply not good enough as a credible or reliable source for what it's anonymous late writers said about other peoples beliefs in a supernatural scion of God ... and not good enough by a very long way.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38889  Postby IanS » May 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Free wrote:
IanS wrote:
Free wrote:
IanS wrote:

Can you quote from any post of mine where I have ever said "Jesus is a total Myth"? Yes or no?

Where is the Quote please!

Please be absolutely certain to justify that claim of yours (and your demand), by quoting from any post of mine where I ever said that “Jesus was a total myth”?

The quote please; where is it!

Can you quote any post of mine where I said precisely "Jesus Christ absolutely 100% almost certainly probably existed?"

Find that exact quote, please.

Point is, finding an exact quote is not required, because the evidence of your leaning heavily into the mysticism camp is all over this thread, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

All your arguments reek of the stench of Jesus Mythicism.

Well now you are doing the same thing again, and digging an even deeper hole for yourself by claiming that I have said something else about you, which I have never said at all ... where in any of my posts have I ever accused you of saying “precisely "Jesus Christ absolutely 100% almost certainly probably existed?" ... where did any post of mine ever accuse you of writing that??

OK, so now you need to provide quotes from any of my posts supporting both of those accusations from you -

1. Please be absolutely certain to justify that claim of yours (and your demand), by quoting from any post of mine where I ever said that “Jesus was a total myth”?

Where is that quote please? Make sure you post it this time!

And secondly -

2. Please be absolutely certain to justify that accusation of yours by quoting from any post of mine where I ever said you had written saying "Jesus Christ absolutely 100% almost certainly probably existed?"

Where is that quote please?

You really cannot keep making these accusations without ever providing the quotes when you are asked to. Please quote where my posts ever said either of the above 1 and 2.

Look ; I would say the same to you as I just asked of Stein - please stop the personalised abusive remarks that pepper all of your posts. And instead lets have a respectful constructive exchange of opinions about whether or not the bible can be safely regarded as a reliable and credible source of factual evidence to show that Jesus was a human person ever known to anyone at the time.

Because if he was not known to anyone who ever wrote about him, then it’s an unarguable fact that the most that any such biblical writers could ever produce was simply their un-evidenced hearsay beliefs of religious faith. And that is the problem with the bible. That is the problem with an anonymously written bible from authors who never knew Jesus, writing centuries later, to solemnly tell their readers that they knew this unknown figure of the past to be a supernatural scion of God, whose stories were confirmed to them by divine revelation and according to the ancient religious scriptures.

Thank you for conclusively demonstrating the point of the HJers that the JMers are left wanting in the reading comprehension department.

If you can't figure out that my point in my post above was to demonstrate how, yes I lean towards historicity, but no I didn't say that exact quote, then do you really think you should even be in this argument?

The point again is that you lean towards mythicism, and no exact quote is required for anyone to determine that fact. If you fail to understand this again, then you can sit in your false sense of haughtiness while the rest of us remain embarrassed for you.

Seriously dude ...

:hand:

Right, so in fact you cannot back up any of those accusations of yours with any quotes of me saying any such thing at all.

Excellent.

Well that’s the clearest possible public demonstration of how completely inadequate you are when placed on the spot and asked to explain why you keep spewing out such a deliberate torrent of blatantly abusive personalised untruths about other members of this forum.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38890  Postby Stein » May 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Stein wrote:
Free wrote:
Ducktown wrote:
I also find it interesting how reverently HJers refer to their good news hero.

Personally, the world would have been better off if the guy hadn't existed at all. From his form of Judaism, came Christianity, which then helped to spawn Islam.

These Abrahamic religions are responsible for Islamic extremism we see in the world today, as well as other atrocities depicted throughout history.

Exposing a human Jesus as opposed to some magical water-walking god has a far better chance of educating with the truth those who claim that the embellished life of this man are all facts. The Jesus Mythicism position only promotes the mystery of Jesus, and does absolutely nothing to discredit what billions believe to true.

History paints a far better picture of a mere man who's life was embellished to support a religious movement; a religious movement that is directly and indirectly responsible for the death and destruction of humankind en masse, and who's influence is responsible for the subjugation and oppression of some of the greatest secular minds in history, all in the name of some god.

And that is why, as an atheist, I support historicity.

This is very cogent. Thank you. I do think it important that we divorce the knee-jerk cultural assumptions surrounding Jesus the rabbi's false "divinity" from the true historical figure who was human only. I also blame many religious institutions directly for much of the misery wreaked in Christianity's -- or Islam's, etc. -- name.

That said, made-up gods like Odin, Zues, etc. could not be more irrelevant to what we're focused on in this thread. As I've made very clear, that's simply not at all the category that Jesus ever belonged to, whatever the deluded religious hysterics may say, day in and day out. Jesus is not some ludicrous wizard with a wand! He's a social rebel.

So the real question is whether or not a real Jesus is any more necessary to a functioning society than a Gandhi, a Franklin, a Pericles, a Confucius, a King, a Mandela, or a Gotama, etc. Those are all figures who center their activities on strengthening the moral claim that is on society to assuage unnecessary and gratuitous suffering. Without figures like these, the weak today would be even more at the mercy of the strong than they already are. Of course, the weak are hardly well off today! But -- sometimes -- there is a healthy sense of shame when the strong make their abuse of the weak too overt for society to stomach. Hypocritical or not, society does have a breaking point, and if that point is reached, the strong have to -- sometimes -- do a small tap dance in reverse. Not too often, of course, but the fact is they feel it incumbent on them to pay a bit of lip service to egalitarian notions very occasionally. That sense of caution on their part is partly due to the sensitizing that figures like a King or a Gotama have achieved for the rest of us. Partial only, yes. But better than nothing.

If we dispense with any kind of serious regular airing of the guiding principles of the Gandhis, the Jesuses, the Franklins, etc,, which is infinitely more important than anything in their boring biographies, the response from the powerful, while stepping into such a vacuum of growing ignorance on the history of consciousness raising, will quickly generate utter selfishness and callousness as even more the new "cool" than it is now with the abuses of the Tea Party goons. And once that happens, the 99% will be so much at the mercy of the 1% that it will make the financial meltdown of 2008 seem like a walk in the park.

Respectfully,

Stein

Well now I have to retract something I just said. "No one here participating in this discussion has had anything good let alone reverent to say about Jesus." And explain to you that these benevolent guiding principles of Jesus are probably as much embellishments as the miracles of Jesus. Far from being a wise sage, Jesus, in my opinion, was more likely to have been a petulant charismatic deranged dooms day cult leader, more along the lines of Charles Manson or Marshal Applewhite than Gandhi or MLK.

Years ago, before I had heard of what he had done, I did something similar to what Thomas Jefferson did with the New Testament. I separated all the good things that Jesus said supposedly in the synoptic gospels from the nasty things he supposedly said and came up with two distinct personalities, not, in my opinion, reconcilable with each other.

Even leaving out the miracles from either profile, I found that the nasty Jesus was much more believable to have been an actual person than the benevolent Jesus. This is part of the reason that I consider a historical Jesus more likely than not.

Not withstanding my agreement that scripture should not be used as evidence for or against a historical Jesus I find a core of truth in the nasty Jesus of the synoptic gospels. significant signs of a cult and cult leaders are present in this Jesus:

Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

The group/leader is always right.

The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Extreme obsessiveness regarding the group/leader resulting in the exclusion of almost every practical consideration.

Individual identity, the group, the leader and/or God as distinct and separate categories of existence become increasingly blurred. Instead, in the follower's mind these identities become substantially and increasingly fused--as that person's involvement with the group/leader continues and deepens.

Whenever the group/leader is criticized or questioned it is characterized as "persecution".

Dependency upon the group/leader for problem solving, solutions, and definitions without meaningful reflective thought. A seeming inability to think independently or analyze situations without group/leader involvement.

Hyperactivity centered on the group/leader agenda, which seems to supercede any personal goals or individual interests.

Increasing isolation from family and old friends unless they demonstrate an interest in the group/leader.

Anything the group/leader does can be justified no matter how harsh or harmful.

http://www.culteducation.com/warningsigns.html

And as I have learned and experienced, from growing up in a cult called Mormonism and then studying it, if the mantel of leader/prophet ect... is passed on the successors tend to increase and invent good myths surrounding the founder, and if possible bury anything derogatory.

Perhaps my acceptance of a historical Jesus stems from my personally experiencing the creation of a perfect religious mythical figure based on a severely flawed historical figure.

I do remember a thought-provoking post by an historicist in the old FRDB forum, ApostateAbe, showing that the textual data does contain ingredients that certainly smack of cult behavior. So it's not surprising that others notice the same thing.

Personally, I view the historical Jesus as part of a continuum, not any kind of climax or end point. I generally view history itself as a sequence of snapshots, in which all public or semi-public figures interact with those snapshots. To use another image, those snapshots could be said to record a sequence of images of an 8-ball in a game in which the ultimate goal involves greater and greater scope for those whose lives start out harshly circumscribed and abused -- moving the 8-ball in the direction of greater scope for the hitherto left-out, that is. The snapshots thus reveal a sawtooth pattern -- one of fits and starts -- in which those most cruelly used by society are slowly but surely given grudging respect, even though there are frequent painful setbacks along the way.

Figures like Enmetena or Solon or Gotama or Jesus or Ulpian or Locke or Gandhi, etc., tend to zero in on one or two areas of unfairness, while tacitly accepting others. This is why none of them can be said to be perfect. For instance, Solon relieves families crushed by debt, but does not appear uncomfortable with the prevailing treatment of defeated enemies in battle, nor with the subservient status of women. By contrast, Jesus interacts pretty openly with women as virtual equals and asks for due consideration for one's enemies, but seems untroubled by slavery. By contrast, Gandhi abhors slavery and pushes back strongly against the divisiveness in opposed religious factions and against any form of violence but is comfortable with caste divisions. And so it goes. The effective impact of figures like these involves the areas where they make a worthwhile difference, because that is where they move the 8-ball ahead, not those areas where they leave the 8-ball neither ahead of nor behind the place where they find it.

Your other remarks here are also quite pertinent --

"And explain to you that these benevolent guiding principles of Jesus are probably as much embellishments as the miracles of Jesus. Far from being a wise sage, Jesus, in my opinion, was more likely to have been a petulant charismatic deranged dooms day cult leader, more along the lines of Charles Manson or Marshal Applewhite than Gandhi or MLK."

As a matter of fact, the latest scholarship for both canonical and non-canonical texts allows scholars to place certain reflections and actions that have been traced to Jesus along a sliding scale from most likely to least likely. This sliding scale is not geared to vague preferences for one idea over another. It's based, to a considerable extent, on philological analysis of a range of detectable textual strata that is pretty evident in the written record, independent of expressed meaning or intent. Different idioms, from the most colloquial to the most self-consciously literary, from probably oral to elaborately scripted, become apparent on closer scrutiny. It is with respect to those pericopes that fall squarely between most likely and least likely where the greatest uncertainty and disputes lie.

Again, linguistic style has tended to weigh more in the most recent scholarship than actual content, although that has been engaged to a degree. The thing is, though, that more recent trends have moved more and more toward aspects of linguistic style to determine authenticity rather than what this or that scholar might wish Jesus to have done/said. Also, the contextual bundling of certain pericopes in similar textual strata weigh more than ever before in today's scholarship in determining authenticity. If the dubious textual circumstances, for example, of the "scary" post-Resurrection appearances vis-a-vis the similarly dubious textual circumstances, for example, of the virgin birth stories bear certain uncomfortable bibliographical similarities, then it makes sense for scholars to judge _both_ sets of pericopes with equal suspicion. Or if the textual circumstances for the saying "the last shall be first", with its consistent context of more colloquial textual material in more than one text, bears a certain resemblance to the similarly consistent colloquial context for "give up your life to preserve it", then it makes sense to assess these two as part of a nexus of similar pericopic material, rather than in isolation.

Of course, many in this thread are already quite familiar with much of all this, but in addition, the more colloquial and apparently oral the stratum, the more frequently one can perceive Aramaic linguistic structures that clash with the Koine Greek. These and other characteristics as a package are where the singular pericopes exclusively common to Matt./Luke come in. Is it really coincidence that these particular pericopes found only in Matt./Luke just happen to be the same pericopes in which most of the oral/colloquial/Aramaic etc. markers apparently abound?

Those pericopes common to Matt./Luke are sometimes so colloquial and also so countercultural in their general tone as to clash with the more elaborate and self-consciously written woo surrounding them. This is another factor that helps modern scholars measure certain degrees of likelihood among the more colloquial pericopes in Matt./Luke. In fact, it seems invariably the case that the most extravagantly written narrative material, involving virgin births and/or post-death zombie walks and/or generating booze at the drop of a hat, etc., etc., stems from textual antecedents at a polar opposite from those for the most colloquial sayings.

Christians don't like hearing this, but the fact is, these textual associations among the various strata strongly suggest that the most extravagant magic woo stems from a very late phase in the textual history, while the most colloquial sayings stem from very likely the earliest phase of all, especially those that Matt./Luke have in common.

When we take a look in isolation at the sayings common to Matt./Luke -- often termed the Q sayings for reasons not immediately relevant here -- a very definite concentration of consistent themes and concerns duly emerge:

http://eyler.freeservers.com/JeffWritings/jbcq002.htm

This is not entirely the portrait of a blameless peacenik, of course, but it doesn't really suggest a Charles Manson either. It suggests something in-between.

Obviously, sentiments like we see here from John the Baptist are not exactly savory. And there are definitely some sentiments here from Jesus as well that aren't much better. To say that one must actually hate one's parents (the Luke 14 section) hardly seems a desirable sentiment, for instance, even though some recent translators do suggest that "scorn one's parents" or "deny one's parents" may be closer to the intended sentiment in the original Koine Greek. And saying that one should only give to those who have already (the Luke 19 section) doesn't exactly impart a rosy feeling either.......... Now it's true the very worst stuff from Jesus -- like that hair-raising "bring here my enemies to kill them"(!) -- isn't found here. So it's more likely he didn't say quite that. But the somewhat unsavory stuff that is still in these Q sayings/pericopes is, while not as noxious as Bring my enemies here, still ..... well ..... unsavory.

That said, at the same time, it is striking that practically all, not just a small portion but practically all, of the most socially radical material also appears in this Q material as well. It's here that we have stuff like Love your enemies (in the Luke 6 section), the last shall be first, whoever is humbled will be raised, etc., etc. What emerges from this earliest apparent stratum is a guy who's hardly perfect but whose chief preoccupation, by maybe 60% or so, is dealing more equably with those who have gotten the short end of the stick, so to speak. The percentages of savory to unsavory here are actually not much worse than, say, the proportion of Gandhi material that defends the caste system, or the energy that Jefferson spent on maintaining slaves, or Solon's indifference to women. All this does not make stuff like "scorn your parents" at all O.K., of course, but it does help place a figure like Jesus, warts and all, pretty much in the middle of that select number who did at least try to make some improvement in the lot of their fellow man, while being neither perfect nor impeccably wise themselves.

Even the most multiply attested stuff in Q is a mixed bag as well. If we restrict the number of these Q sayings to the least possible, to only those sayings that appear in these Q passages _and_ the GMark _and_ GThomas, we are left with only seven sayings * . And these sayings too show a mixed bag, neither a Charles Manson type nor anything impeccable.

Cheers,

Stein

* Luke 11
21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:
22 But when a stronger than he shall come upon him, and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted, and divideth his spoils.

33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

Luke 12
2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

Luke 13
18 Then said he, Unto what is the kingdom of God like? and whereunto shall I resemble it?
19 It is like a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and cast into his garden; and it grew, and was a tree; and the fowls of the air lodged in the branches of it.

30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

Luke 19
26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38891  Postby MS2 » May 01, 2015 11:15 pm

IanS wrote:
... all that most sceptics are saying is that the bible, which is really the only primary source for even the bare mention of any messiah called "Jesus", is simply not good enough as a credible or reliable source for what it's anonymous late writers said about other peoples beliefs in a supernatural scion of God ... and not good enough by a very long way.

I don't want to enter a debate about who has tried to do what to who in this interminable debate. But I do want to say that I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38892  Postby iskander » May 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Professor Cook, in his book, Modern Jews Engage the New Testament, describes the early development of Jewish Christianity as follows :

Christianity, still deeply bonded to Judaism, accepted and based itself on the Jewish scriptures...Replicating Judaism’s synagogue structure and its networking enabled Christianity to offer a cohesiveness that pagan religions (commonly organized as local enclaves) could not match. Moreover, Judaism at this point in its history, was modelling a creative and successful missionary style that also allowed for attracting and accepting in a kind of secondary status, Gentiles whom it styled “God-fearers”. These shared the faith, the worship and the ethical commitment of Judaism but were not obliged to adult male circumcision or to full compliance with the dietary laws, and thus were not full converts.

When Christianity emerged, however, it promised Gentiles acceptance as full members while allowing them to bypass the barriers of Jewish dietary laws and circumcision. God-fearers became key agents in publicizing Christianity’s appeal among the pagans.

Professor Rabbi Michael J. Cook Modern Jews Engage the New Testament Jewish Lights Publishing Woodstock, Vermont, 2008
Pages 38ff
iskander

Print view this post

#38893  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 4:07 am

Oldskeptic wrote:

Philo was a philosopher not a historian, and his main concern was with interpreting the Hebrew Bible not reporting current events in Jerusalem.

Your statement is a well-known established fallacy. Philo did write about events in his own lifetime, did write about events in Jerusalem, did write about Pilate, did write about the Essenes, a sect of Jews and other sects which flourished in his time.

Philo did not mention a Jewish sect which worshiped a man as a God called Jesus of Nazareth.

You have exposed that you don't know what you are talking about.

Please, read "Embassy to Gaius", "Flaccus," "Hypothetica" and the "Contemplative Life".

The writings of Philo are evidence against an historical Jesus of Nazareth and evidence against a Jewish cult who worshiped a man as a God called Jesus of Nazareth in the time of Gaius 37-41 CE.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38894  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 4:25 am

Oldskeptic wrote:

All we have is some ancient historians mentioning that they used these records in the form of the Acta Senate and the Acta Diurna. Josephus is one Tacitus is another. Others used them also and mentioned them, that's how we know they existed. We know them by their use, and one of the uses they were put to was references to a Jesus that started a cult that became Christianity.

We know that the "TF" is a forgery because of Josephus' Wars of the Jews 6.5.4

We know that Tacitus Annals 15.44 with Christus is a forgery because of Tacitus Histories 5.

There was NO character called Jesus of Nazareth in ALL writings attributed to Josephus and Tacitus.

Christians writers themselves ADMITTED in HUNDREDS of writings for HUNDREDS of years that their Jesus was Born of a Ghost and was God Creator.

There was NEVER any evidence for an historical Jesus.

The historical Jesus is a fiction character invented by those who do NOT like the birth narrative in the NT.

It is confirmed that the historical Jesus was a fiction character when "Free" INVENTED a story that the historical Jesus was born AFTER Mary was raped by Panthera.

The falsehood is palpable and expected according to Origen over 1600 years.
Last edited by dejuror on May 02, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38895  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 4:34 am

MS2 wrote:

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

The "Plenty people" argument is complete useless when dealing with Atheists.

Atheists are a minority

You put forward the baseless absurd notion that 'plenty people' is better than evidence.

It is already known that there are BILLIONS of people who believe Jesus of Nazareth existed WITHOUT a shred of credible historical evidence.

The existing manuscripts of the Jesus story depict Jesus as God Creator, the Lord God from heaven and born of a Ghost.

Jesus of Nazareth is a myth just like God Creator of the Jews.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38896  Postby Zwaarddijk » May 02, 2015 5:26 am

dejuror wrote:
MS2 wrote:

Atheists are a minority

You put forward the baseless absurd notion that 'plenty people' is better than evidence.

It is already known that there are BILLIONS of people who believe Jesus of Nazareth existed WITHOUT a shred of credible historical evidence.

The existing manuscripts of the Jesus story depict Jesus as God Creator, the Lord God from heaven and born of a Ghost.

Jesus of Nazareth is a myth just like God Creator of the Jews.

Way to go misunderstanding the argument you're responding to.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#38897  Postby Oldskeptic » May 02, 2015 7:45 am

dejuror wrote:
MS2 wrote:

Atheists are a minority

Simply fucking amazing! How can you misunderstand one little paragraph so completely? It's not like there were a lot of big fancy words you'd have to look up.

Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38898  Postby IanS » May 02, 2015 9:15 am

MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
... all that most sceptics are saying is that the bible, which is really the only primary source for even the bare mention of any messiah called "Jesus", is simply not good enough as a credible or reliable source for what it's anonymous late writers said about other peoples beliefs in a supernatural scion of God ... and not good enough by a very long way.

I don't want to enter a debate about who has tried to do what to who in this interminable debate. But I do want to say that I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

Well done. I agree entirely with your post. Even your suggestion that I describe people like me as HJ-sceptics, that's also fine by me (if I can remember that each time!).
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38899  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 2:52 pm

"The Plenty people" argument is a complete waste of time when arguing with Atheists.

Atheism is a minority position but based on the lack of evidence.

The fact that there are BILLIONS of people who BELIEVE WITHOUT evidence that Jesus exist has ZERO negative effect on the evidence from antiquity.

In addition, people who believe Jesus existed and use the Christian Bible to support their BELIEF are NOT Skeptics.

People who believe Jesus existed as a mere human are called HERETICS--See "Against Heresies" attributed to Irenaeus, "Refutation Against All Heresies" attributed to Hippolytus and "Prescription Against the Heretics" attributed to Tertullian.

SKEPTICS of antiquity REJECT the Jesus story as a Childish, Foolish Pack of Lies.

Read the words of the SKEPTICS of ANTIQUITY .

1. Against Hierocles attributed to Eusebius.

And this point is also worth noticing, that whereas the tales of Jesus have been vamped up by Peter and Paul and a few others of the kind,--men who were liars and devoid of education and wizards, -- These are the very words used by Hierocles in his treatise against us which he has entitled " Lover of Truth.".

2. Against the Galileans attributed to Julian

It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the Galilaeans is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth.

3. Macarius Magnes "Apocritus" on Paul.

We conclude then that he is a liar and manifestly brought up in an atmosphere of lying.

The evidence from ANTIQUITY is clear.

The Jesus story is a pack of childish foolish LIES--historical garbage.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38900  Postby IanS » May 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Free wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Here is a link to an atheist website which uses scholars to completely debunk Kenneth Humphreys ridiculous assertions:

http://atheistwatch.blogspot.ca/2010/12 ... me-of.html

Read it and weep.

What is your link supposed to be?

It appears to be some private individual writing his own religious blog. He uses this as his headline -

"To Understand the atheist truth regime in terms of its ideology and keep tabs on its propaganda and tactics. "

He says he is "dyslexic", and something is certainly wrong with his writing because it's so full of errors and so badly written that it's painful trying read such a garbled mess.

What anyone named Kenneth Humphreys may have written about any claims of anyone having discovered a town of Nazareth, and what anyone else may have claimed of that as evidence of Jesus, is another matter. But your link appears to be yet another piece of barely legible private religious garbage.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity