Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tory Party watch

#721  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:Iain Duncan Smith's credit card suspended over expenses debts :clap: :dance: :thumbup: :grin: :drunk: :cheers: :dance: :clap: :naughty: :P :oops:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ia ... ?ocid=iehp

The fun part is, according to my FB news feed, the Torygraph was also covering the same story, but lo and behold, when I clicked on the link, the story had been pulled, and I got a 404 Error. The original URL was this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... debts.html

Try visiting that link now and you'll find the Torygraph pulled the story.

The Independent, on the other hand, still has the story running here.

total cover up, can't even find the story using the Torygraph search engine, but it is still there in google

you can run but you can't hide from the internet
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#722  Postby Aca » Jul 02, 2015 9:11 am

Government to scrap child poverty target before tax credits cut

Iain Duncan Smith to remove measure that required eradication of child poverty by 2020 after publication of statistics reveals no fall in level

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ld-poverty
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#723  Postby mattthomas » Jul 02, 2015 9:22 am

Peter Brown wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:Iain Duncan Smith's credit card suspended over expenses debts :clap: :dance: :thumbup: :grin: :drunk: :cheers: :dance: :clap: :naughty: :P :oops:

The fun part is, according to my FB news feed, the Torygraph was also covering the same story, but lo and behold, when I clicked on the link, the story had been pulled, and I got a 404 Error. The original URL was this:

total cover up, can't even find the story using the Torygraph search engine, but it is still there in google

Is it worth noting that the larger debts on that list belonged to Labour MPs?
mattthomas

Print view this post

#724  Postby Sendraks » Jul 02, 2015 9:31 am

mattthomas wrote:

It should be noted, but they're not currently ministering to the poor and the down trodden about having proper control over their finances and enacting policy to limit how much funding the poor can get from suckling on the public teat.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#725  Postby angelo » Jul 02, 2015 10:32 am

Politicians from all sides have their snouts well and truly in the through of taxpayer funded salary and perks the layman can only dream about!
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#726  Postby Peter Brown » Jul 02, 2015 1:38 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

not really, because 1) we all know MP's have been in the gravy train for a while so we know they are pigs and 2) IDS gets extra snarls for being a hypocrite demanding and enforcing punishment on the socially poor who unable to keep within a budget when he has a fuck load more cash and can’t keep to a budget per month that a poor man gets to survive on a year.

£20 per week, (Stepchange) is the expected amount of money per week you should pay on food if poor.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#727  Postby ronmcd » Jul 02, 2015 2:06 pm

So today the Tories tried *really* hard to end the union, in a staggering display of idiocy. Their rushed and incoherent English Votes for English Laws proposals, a huge change to the consitution, is not being done through legislation but by a change to the Standing Orders of the Commons, with the poor speaker expected to decide what constitutes a law which only certain members of the house can now decide on.

So laws for England/E&Wales only areas which are currently devolved to Wales Northern Ireland or Scotland will require English MP's to pass, with those MP's from other parts of the country excluded. Sounds fine to me, except many decisions will affect the funding which leads to funding changes to the devolved administrations. By contrast, decisions made in Wales Scotland and NI don't affect the funding in England. Naturally, this oddity won't apply to London MP's who will still be able to vote on other English transport etc even though they have no ability to affect London transport policy which is made by the Mayor.

For the last week the Tories have prevented any amendments to the Scotland Bill, when 58 of the 59 Scottish MP's voted for them, most not even listening to the debates just being wheeled out the bars to vote each time. Um ...

English votes for English Laws, English votes for Scottish/Welsh/NI Laws. EVELEVSWNIL. Catchy.

If EVEL is about "fairness", Mr Cameron, I presume we'll be getting all of the following...

1) The Scottish Parliament will be granted the power to unilaterally abolish the Westminster Parliament, as long as 61% of MSPs vote in favour of doing so. This equalises the current situation whereby 326 out of 533 English MPs (61%) can unilaterally abolish the Scottish Parliament at any time, even if every single Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MP votes against. If it makes the London press feel any happier, we can always put a meaningless platitude into the legislation about how "it is recognised that the Westminster Parliament is a permanent part of our constitutional arrangements, as long as we stay in a good mood".

2) The Scottish Parliament will be granted the power to veto any constitutional changes affecting England, provided that 61% of MSPs vote for the veto. Loud cheering is strongly encouraged. This equalises the current situation whereby English MPs were able to veto Full Fiscal Autonomy for Scotland on Monday night, even though 95% of Scottish MPs voted in favour of it.

.... and more.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#728  Postby Alan B » Jul 02, 2015 5:11 pm

The Independent
Patients to be told price of prescribed drugs in bid to save NHS £300m

Patients will be told the price of every drug they are prescribed that costs the NHS more than £20 in a scheme to help reduce waste and encourage patients to complete courses of medicine.

Under the plans, drug packets will be marked with a label stating that they have been “funded by the UK taxpayer” along with the total price that the prescription costs the health service.

The move aims to give patients a more accurate picture of the costs of illness to the NHS and encourage people to take responsibility for their health.

It follows a study, commissioned by the Government, which found that wasted medicines cost the NHS £300m a year.

This sounds on the face of it, 'a good thing' and will make people realise how much their essential medicines cost.

However, I see a hidden agenda here: once this is in place (and people have got used to it), it will only be a short step to use this to raise the prescription charges - perhaps a variable charge depending on the cost of each medicine prescribed. It's all part of the privatisation of the NHS. It might also mean people will question the costs the manufacturers have imposed - we can't have that, now, can we? So we could have another excuse to put the NHS price up for the consumer.

Edit.
Last edited by Alan B on Jul 02, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#729  Postby ronmcd » Jul 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Here's the reason Labour supporters should be worried about EVEL:

The plans could give rise to a situation where a Labour-led government had an overall majority in the Commons but the Conservatives had a majority of English MPs, who could veto laws relating to the NHS and schools – both devolved matters.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#730  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 03, 2015 2:39 am

ronmcd wrote:Here's the reason Labour supporters should be worried about EVEL:

The plans could give rise to a situation where a Labour-led government had an overall majority in the Commons but the Conservatives had a majority of English MPs, who could veto laws relating to the NHS and schools – both devolved matters.

Typical sneaky Tory scum.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#731  Postby mcgruff » Jul 03, 2015 3:36 am

EVEL can't create an advantage for a UK party if we don't elect them.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#732  Postby smudge » Jul 04, 2015 10:18 am

Inheritance tax giveaway to feature in first Tory budget alongside welfare cuts
Chancellor George Osborne set to unveil policy most likely to benefit higher earners on same day as setting out £12bn benefit reductions

Full Guardian article here.

Words fail me.
On the one hand, it's not that surprising and the plans have been well trailed. On the other, how these people can demonstrate such contempt for large sections of society is beyond belief. This is pure class war.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#733  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 04, 2015 10:25 am

Along with this article:

British households still £500 a year worse off than before financial crisis

ONS says median disposable income remains lower than in 2008, with poorest fifth paying disproportionately more of their income in taxes than richest fifth.
British households are still £500 a year worse off than before the financial crisis in 2008, according to new official figures which underscore the long-term damage inflicted on families’ finances by the deep recession and lacklustre recovery.

In its annual assessment of households’ finances, the Office for National Statistics said that median disposable – ie after tax – income increased to £24,500 in 2013-14, but still remained £500 a year lower than in 2007-08 once inflation was taken into account.

The pain has not been felt evenly, however. Pensioners, whose income has partly been protected by the Conservatives’ “triple lock”, which sees the state pension increase in line with the highest rate of inflation, average earnings or 2.5%, are on average better off than they were in 2007-8.
More...

What a "Great" country.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#734  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 04, 2015 10:35 am

Still, it could be worse. We could have a Tory-led government with an overall majority in the Commons, but the SNP have a majority of Scottish MPs, who could decide laws relating to the NHS and schools, which are devolved matters.

Oh wait...
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#735  Postby ronmcd » Jul 04, 2015 10:42 am

Strontium Dog wrote:

Still, it could be worse. We could have a Tory-led government with an overall majority in the Commons, but the SNP have a majority of Scottish MPs, who could decide laws relating to the NHS and schools, which are devolved matters.

Oh wait...

Do your pithy talking points come from the Daily Mail? It seems suspiciously like it at times. Ideologically compatible I suppose.

When devolved politicians in Scotland Wales or NI make decisions on their (independent, note) Health Services, it has NO financial effect on the English Health Servive. But when MP's make decisions about the English Health Service ONLY it directly affects the funding for the Scottish Welsh and NI (independent) Health services.

Do you see?

Yes, but you'll disgracefully pretend you don't, as per.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#736  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 04, 2015 10:42 am

smudge wrote:
Chancellor George Osborne set to unveil policy most likely to benefit higher earners on same day as setting out £12bn benefit reductions

Words fail me.
On the one hand, it's not that surprising and the plans have been well trailed. On the other, how these people can demonstrate such contempt for large sections of society is beyond belief. This is pure class war.

I think it's hilarious. The British people totally deserve it after nearly killing liberty in this country. Everyone who has ever opposed a Lib Dem bears responsibility for this situation. Bon frottage.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#737  Postby ronmcd » Jul 04, 2015 10:46 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
I think it's hilarious. The British people totally deserve it after nearly killing liberty in this country. Everyone who has ever opposed a Lib Dem bears responsibility for this situation. Bon frottage.

:crazy:
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#738  Postby Strontium Dog » Jul 04, 2015 10:46 am

ronmcd wrote:Do your pithy talking points come from the Daily Mail? It seems suspiciously like it at times. Ideologically compatible I suppose.

I'm pointing out that your "nightmare scenario" already exists, insofar as Scottish politicians can go against the national grain. I can only guess at why you think it would be an issue if English people had this right too.

Unless you've finally seen the light and will be abandoning the politics of narrow-minded separatist nationalism in favour of the politics of unity?
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#739  Postby smudge » Jul 04, 2015 11:30 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
smudge wrote:

Words fail me.

How very 'Liberal'.
:nono:

:crazy:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#740  Postby ED209 » Jul 04, 2015 12:37 pm

The sole difference between this government and the last is that the exact same tory ministers no longer have yellow tories tonguing their arseholes while they announce the exact same kind of policies.

If there were still yellow tories in government they would be parading around whining that yes they voted to cut inheritance tax, but at least they prevented osborne from giving the wealthy dead the right to have two benefit claimants buried alive with them to serve them in the next life just like SD's policital heroes (as he has repeatedly and hilariously referred to them himself) served the blue tories in this one.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs