VW Accused Of Trying To Cheat Pollution Tests

500,000 Vehicles May Be Compulsorily Recalled

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: VW Accused Of Trying To Cheat Pollution Tests

#141  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Oct 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:So, 11 million lies and counting. One wonders how badly a company has to act before it is de-registered and it's assets seized...

I don't think it's quite as simple as that. Whilst I don't believe in "too big to fail" corporations, for the Government to shut Volkswagen down it would have to consider that the group employs over 1/2 million people worldwide (as of 2012), and I wouldn't like to guess at the number of businesses and people who are mostly or entirely dependent on Volkswagen group business in terms of supply, re-sale and after-sale markets in almost every country. This would have a huge effect on the economy of Germany and Europe, and the global automotive market.

Whether it actually has acted badly enough to justify this is a question not easily answered.
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby mattthomas » Oct 08, 2015 12:16 pm

The company has done nothing wrong, the people running the company have. The people running the show should be put away for a stretch.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#143  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Oct 08, 2015 12:23 pm

mattthomas wrote:The company has done nothing wrong, the people running the company have. The people running the show should be put away for a stretch.

I'd agree with that, they should face a court and any appropriate sentencing.

I know you didn't suggest it, but whether or not they knew or had a hand in it is irrelevant - directors are responsible for how their company operates. That's one of the reasons they're paid so much!
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#144  Postby mattthomas » Oct 08, 2015 12:26 pm

Tenacious Tubbs wrote:
mattthomas wrote:The company has done nothing wrong, the people running the company have. The people running the show should be put away for a stretch.

I know you didn't suggest it, but whether or not they knew or had a hand in it is irrelevant - directors are responsible for how their company operates. That's one of the reasons they're paid so much!

I'd disagree, if I was facing charges for something I had no fucking clue was going on I'd be beyond words.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#145  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 08, 2015 12:34 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:

I'd disagree, if I was facing charges for something I had no fucking clue was going on I'd be beyond words.

Bad management. The decision on the software would have been high up not left to the minions.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Tenacious Tubbs » Oct 08, 2015 12:43 pm

mattthomas wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:

Maybe, but on taking up a director's position you are responsible for the actions of the company. Hence the phrase: "You can delegate authority, but you can't delegate responsibility".
Tenacious Tubbs

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#147  Postby NineBerry » Oct 08, 2015 9:18 pm

A German comedy show has shown this clip a few days ago:

The (now resigned) VW CEO Winterkorn inspecting a competitor's car at the IAA making remarks about how the Hyundai is great for having a steering wheel adjustment mechanism that doesn't clank while VW cannot do that.

One should assume that when he cares about the noises of the steering wheel adjustment, he should be aware of what the cars do to pass legal requirements.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#148  Postby juju7 » Oct 09, 2015 7:00 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
mattthomas wrote:
Tenacious Tubbs wrote:

Bad management. The decision on the software would have been high up not left to the minions.

You can't know that. Understanding the way corporate decisions are made I would say that it was a matter of
"Make sure that the cars pass the tests. I don't care how you do it"
juju7
Banned Sockpuppet

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#149  Postby crank » Oct 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row
Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have joined the growing list of manufacturers whose diesel cars are known to emit significantly more pollution on the road than in regulatory tests, according to data obtained by the Guardian.

In more realistic on-road tests, some Honda models emitted six times the regulatory limit of NOx pollution while some unnamed 4x4 models had 20 times the NOx limit coming out of their exhaust pipes.

“The issue is a systemic one” across the industry, said Nick Molden, whose company Emissions Analytics tested the cars. The Guardian revealed last week that diesel cars from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat, Volvo and Jeep all pumped out significantly more NOx in more realistic driving conditions. NOx pollution is at illegal levels in many parts of the UK and is believed to have caused many thousands of premature deaths and billions of pounds in health costs.

All the diesel cars passed the EU’s official lab-based regulatory test (called NEDC), but the test has failed to cut air pollution as governments intended because carmakers designed vehicles that perform better in the lab than on the road. There is no evidence of illegal activity, such as the “defeat devices” used by Volkswagen.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 09, 2015 1:40 pm

Think the other manufacturers did not know what VW were doing? They were probably watching like hawks to see if VW could get away with it.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Alan B » Oct 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Shit. I've got a Mazda 6 Diesel...

But I'm not surprised.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 09, 2015 2:25 pm

Alan B wrote:Shit. I've got a Mazda 6 Diesel...

But I'm not surprised.

VW were trying to pull a fast one. Top management must have known. German companies have a strict hierarchy. They would not leave the software to the lower minions.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#153  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

But I'm not surprised.

VW were trying to pull a fast one. Top management must have known. German companies have a strict hierarchy. They would not leave the software to the lower minions.

If they had done, there'd be a lot of filleted minions in Germany right now. :naughty2:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 09, 2015 3:18 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

But I'm not surprised.

If they had done, there'd be a lot of filleted minions in Germany right now. :naughty2:

Ja befehl is befehl.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#155  Postby DougC » Apr 22, 2016 12:25 am

B.B.C. - VW reaches US deal in emissions scandal

Details of the preliminary agreement were announced in a California court. US district court Judge Charles Breyer said the settlement would include a buyback offer for nearly 500,000 2.0-litre vehicles.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Teague » Apr 28, 2016 4:01 pm

"The Government has pressed VW on the issue of this kind of compensation.

"We expect VW to treat its UK customers fairly and to adequately address their concerns.

"The Transport Secretary has pressed VW on the specific issue of this discrepancy of compensation."

Mr Willis wrote a letter to the Commons Transport Select Committee in December stating that "we do not believe it is necessary" to compensate UK drivers.

He went on: "Rather than offering a separate financial payment as a goodwill gesture at this stage, we think that, with the fix just around the corner, the sums available for such a goodwill payment should be spent on maximising the uptake of the technical measures among customers, and ensuring that it is done with as little inconvenience to them as possible."

Read more at http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2016/04/22/vw-pressed-on-compensation-discrepancy-for-uk-customers-amid-emissions-scandal/#rk2JxiKRl3YQcZJT.99
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Acetone » Apr 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Why don't they pay for both?
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Alan B » Apr 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Does this scandal only affect the 'VW' brand or does this include other brands owned by VW, e.g. Skoda?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Shrunk » Apr 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Is a "fix just around the corner"? Is it possible to build a diesel motor that meets emission standards and which provides acceptable performance at the VW price point?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Teague » Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Alan B wrote:Does this scandal only affect the 'VW' brand or does this include other brands owned by VW, e.g. Skoda?

According to the UK gov't it's only VW after 6 months of testing other vehicles.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs