The Raven Theory of Mind

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Raven Theory of Mind

#21  Postby scott1328 » Feb 07, 2016 3:33 pm

zoon wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Does that look like a bunch of hooey?

kennyc wrote:I think the whole "Theory of MInd" idea is a bunch hooey

Can you explain why you think this, given the fairly conclusive evidence of the striking change in the perception of another's beliefs between the younger child and the older in that video?

I'm not so sure that the ravens experiment is all that conclusive though. Animals and birds which have to compete for food are bound to have some awareness of that competition and the need for caution.

I wonder what would happen if they did a Sally Anne type of test with ravens, letting two see a piece of food placed in one of two containers, then removing one bird and moving the piece of food to the other container as the remaining raven was watching. Where would that raven think that the other one would expect to find the food?

:cheers: I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one defending Theory of Mind around here. I think humans are the only animals which have been shown definitely to track false beliefs in other individuals, and as shown in your link it appears reliably in normal children at around the age of four. It's possible they begin to have a grasp earlier without being able to verbalise, but the verbal change is very striking. Some people (e.g. Michael Tomasello) have put a lot of effort into designing experiments which might show chimps tracking false beliefs, but the results are dodgy at best, quite unlike the confidence of a five year old child. Tracking another individual's false belief means holding two states of affairs in mind at the same time without getting them mixed up, it's more cognitively demanding than the ravens' already impressive ability to track what others do not know.

You do an admirable job defending ToM. My personal belief is that ToM provides the underpinnings of human consciousness. A view you have argued well for.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby igorfrankensteen » Feb 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Something I suggest for consideration, is that any given set of actions or behaviors that a person exhibits, are made up of sub-components. And just as many cooking recipes can have one or more ingredients substituted with another without the end result being noticeably different, human behaviors also can be the final result of more than one collection of sub-elements.

We see this most obviously, in the case of sociopaths, or in autistic spectrum people. Many of them, from an early age, will mindfully construct a set of behaviors, designed to cater to the demands of adults who are "testing" them.

This isn't an attempt to pretend that Theory of Mind is in any way false, it's my way of suggesting that determining at what point an entity comes to HAVE said ToM, is way more difficult than these experiments allow for.

Here's another true example from my own past: when I was EXTREMELY young, no more than a few months old, I decided that everyone who was obviously older than me, which was pretty much everyone I knew, had been there before I had, and therefore were more on top of things than I was. I decided essentially, NOT to trust my own perceptions, if they appeared to conflict with inputs from the more experienced beings. Had I been tested by the process shown, I would have been accused of having no ToM. But actually, it would simply be true that I hadn't had anyone try to trick me like that before, so I wasn't expecting it. It might even point to the idea that all parents should start lying to their babies as soon as possible, to train them to expect deceit, and therefore develop a ToM earlier.

Perhaps this is the epitome of Theory of Mind. I don't see it that way. If you are going to claim that an entity doesn't count as having an individual ToM, based on whether they've realized that people sometimes lie, then it's a pretty flaky concept to put any weight on.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby zoon » Feb 08, 2016 9:40 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
zoon wrote:I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one defending Theory of Mind around here.

I didn't realise it has been a topic of conversation, Zoon, or disbelief either, come to that. We obviously don't come across each other often enough! :smile:

It’s good to meet occasionally! and I very much appreciate scott1328’s kind words above. I find Theory of Mind (ToM) fascinating because, as scott1328 says, it looks as though it has to be the physical, evolved underpinning for consciousness. As igorfrankensteen says, ToM ("the ability to attribute mental states — beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc. — to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions, and perspectives that are different from one's own") is a whole collection of brain processes rather than just one, and many of the simpler components appear in other animals as well as humans:
Wikipedia wrote:The study of which animals are capable of attributing knowledge and mental states to others, as well the development of this ability in human ontogeny and phylogeny, has identified several behavioral precursors to a theory of mind. Understanding attention, understanding of others' intentions, and imitative experience with other people are hallmarks of a theory of mind that may be observed early in the development of what later becomes a full-fledged theory. In studies with non-human animals and pre-verbal humans, in particular, researchers look to these behaviors preferentially in making inferences about mind.

Tracking false beliefs does seem to be something only humans can do, and only after the age of about 4 (as shown in the video Doubtdispelled linked to above). Three year olds and some animals (like ravens) have some ability to track when another individual does or doesn’t know something (such as where a piece of food is stashed); they can to some extent switch from one perspective to another, but they cannot manage the further step of dealing with both at once, which is required for understanding false belief. The difference is discussed, for example, in a 2012 paper here, entitled:
“Three-Year-Olds Understand Appearance and Reality—Just Not About the Same Object at the Same Time”:
Moll and Tomasello (2012) wrote:Taken together, these findings support the notion of a major conceptual change taking place between ages 4 and 5 that allows children to understand that objects can be construed in alternative ways (Flavell, 1993; Perner, 1991), including the knowledge that things can look one way but actually be another.

This ability to track appearance and reality about the same things at the same time is probably essential to the common sense way we assign consciousness, and think of it as real? The brain of a normal adult human in social situations is juggling multiple perspectives and sets of beliefs, with plenty of scope for confusing itself. One way to minimise the confusion is to assign a “consciousness” to each person, with quasi-real status, as a virtual container for that person’s beliefs, emotional states etc. When two people can discuss, for example, a third person’s beliefs, the reality of the third person’s consciousness seems to be reinforced. One non-intuitive consequence would be that consciousness is largely a social phenomenon, even though it feels intensely private.
zoon

Print view this post

#24  Postby kennyc » Feb 09, 2016 3:04 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:
zoon wrote:I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one defending Theory of Mind around here.

I didn't realise it has been a topic of conversation, Zoon, or disbelief either, come to that. We obviously don't come across each other often enough! :smile:

Oh yeah, over and over. which is why I posted the o.p.

:popcorn:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby kennyc » Feb 09, 2016 3:20 am

scott1328 wrote:
zoon wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

kennyc wrote:I think the whole "Theory of MInd" idea is a bunch hooey

Can you explain why you think this, given the fairly conclusive evidence of the striking change in the perception of another's beliefs between the younger child and the older in that video?

I'm not so sure that the ravens experiment is all that conclusive though. Animals and birds which have to compete for food are bound to have some awareness of that competition and the need for caution.

I wonder what would happen if they did a Sally Anne type of test with ravens, letting two see a piece of food placed in one of two containers, then removing one bird and moving the piece of food to the other container as the remaining raven was watching. Where would that raven think that the other one would expect to find the food?

:cheers: I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one defending Theory of Mind around here. I think humans are the only animals which have been shown definitely to track false beliefs in other individuals, and as shown in your link it appears reliably in normal children at around the age of four. It's possible they begin to have a grasp earlier without being able to verbalise, but the verbal change is very striking. Some people (e.g. Michael Tomasello) have put a lot of effort into designing experiments which might show chimps tracking false beliefs, but the results are dodgy at best, quite unlike the confidence of a five year old child. Tracking another individual's false belief means holding two states of affairs in mind at the same time without getting them mixed up, it's more cognitively demanding than the ravens' already impressive ability to track what others do not know.

You do an admirable job defending ToM. My personal belief is that ToM provides the underpinnings of human consciousness. A view you have argued well for.

Actually it's the opposite, consciousness provides the basis for theory of mind. Once an entity becomes self/aware they then realize and recognize that others are as well and can attribute mental states, knowledge, and perspectives/POV to them.

Consciousness comes first from awareness when the brain has reached to appropriate development level.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby scott1328 » Feb 09, 2016 4:18 am

kennyc wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
zoon wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

Actually it's the opposite, consciousness provides the basis for theory of mind. Once an entity becomes self/aware they then realize and recognize that others are as well and can attribute mental states, knowledge, and perspectives/POV to them.

Consciousness comes first from awareness when the brain has reached to appropriate development level.

What can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby BWE » Feb 09, 2016 4:47 am

Theory of mind boils down to a theory of agency, Dennett's intentional stance as implicit in agents with a certain amount of processing power.
BWE

Print view this post

#28  Postby scott1328 » Feb 09, 2016 4:59 am

Dennett posits more than that. He posits that ToM is an evolved faculty, furthermore, consciousness arose as a result of a creature applying it's theory of mind to predict is own behavior. Consciousness and ToM coevolved.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby BWE » Feb 09, 2016 5:57 am

Yes. I'm not sure what the alternative to evolving would be. Created in a workshop I guess.

EDIT: I guess I thought I said the same thing you said. the intentional stance is a utilitarian concept.
BWE

Print view this post

#30  Postby zoon » Feb 09, 2016 9:48 am

I and others argue that, in scott1328’s words (#21), “ToM provides the underpinnings of human consciousness”. kennyc disagrees:
kennyc wrote:Actually it's the opposite, consciousness provides the basis for theory of mind. Once an entity becomes self/aware they then realize and recognize that others are as well and can attribute mental states, knowledge, and perspectives/POV to them.

I think my main difference with kennyc is semantic, a question of what is to count as “consciousness”, and I don’t think it’s a difference I would want to get too hung up on?

As I see it, the word “consciousness”, along with mental terms generally, has traditionally been taken to refer to entities/events belonging to some essentially non-physical spirit realm, which both of us (along with most people posting on RatSkep) agree does not exist.

Science has often shown that the world is not the way it was thought to be, and language gets readjusted to fit the new reality, often fairly slowly and vaguely as the scientific model gains acceptance. Some words, like “water” or “sunset”, simply go on being used in ordinary life very much as before, while the scientific model changes underneath them. These words have to some extent been redefined: water is no longer an Aristotelean element but is still the stuff we drink, a sunset is no longer thought to be the sun moving (though it’s often spoken of as if it were), but is still the sun’s disappearance over the horizon. Other words, like “ghost” or “angel” don’t get redefined; instead, the things they stand for are no longer taken to exist.

I think that mental terms such as “consciousness” are in a considerable state of uncertainty at the moment. Very many people, including everyone who is religious, would still see minds and consciousness as something non-physical, in spite of all the evidence from scientific discoveries, so they are happy to use “consciousness” in its full traditional sense. Atheists of a scientific and physicalist bent do not use the word that way, and a question arises: whether to redefine it like “water” or “sunset” (and if so, exactly how to redefine it), or whether to treat it like “ghost” or “angel”, and say that what it refers to is something which science has shown not to exist.

In another thread here, logical bob has been making a case for treating all mental terms including consciousness in the second way, like “ghost” or “angel”. For logical bob (if I’ve understood him correctly) and those who agree with him, consciousness is simply something that has been shown not to exist.

Both kennyc and I (again, supposing I’ve understood kennyc correctly) disagree with logical bob; we would both prefer to redefine the term “consciousness” as “water” and “sunset” have been redefined, so that it now refers to something scientifically respectable. We disagree with each other on what that something would be. I think perhaps both kennyc and I would agree that the known scientific facts could well be much as described (?hypothesized) by the Princeton researcher Michael Graziano on his website here:
Michael Graziano wrote:
About half a billion years ago, nervous systems evolved an ability to enhance the most pressing of incoming signals. Gradually, this ability to focus on selected signals came under a more sophisticated, top-down control and became what is now called attention.

In control theory, if a brain is to control something, it should have an internal model of the thing to be controlled. According to the "attention schema theory", to effectively deploy its own attentional focus, the brain needs a constantly updated simulation or model of attention. Otherwise the brain would not possess explicit knowledge about its changing state of attention, or about the consequences of attending to something. This model of attention is schematic and lacking in detail.

There is no adaptive reason for a brain to know that it has electrochemical signals passing through neurons, or that the signals compete in a complex manner that results in some signals becoming enhanced, or that the enhanced signals have more influence over the parts of the brain involved in decision-making, movement, and memory. Brains don’t need that detailed or accurate information about themselves in order to function. Instead, the simplified model of attention attributes to the self an experience of X -- the property of being conscious of something. In this theory, a brain attributes to itself, "I am aware of X, in the sense of mentally possessing X and being able to react to X," because that attribution is a good, if simplified, model of the much more complex process of paying attention to X. The model helps keep track of the ever-changing state of attention and helps to predict the consequences of attention. Just as the brain can direct attention to external signals or to internal signals, that model of attention can attribute to the self a consciousness of external events or of internal events. Self awareness, awareness of emotions, awareness of one’s own thoughts, awareness of sensory events, all of these types of awareness can be accommodated by this theory.

In this theory, a brain does not actually have awareness. Instead it has attention, a mechanistic process. It also has information, in an internal model, that tells it that it has awareness. The information describes a self that experiences something and that can choose to react to and remember that something. The reason for this information is that it is a useful, if approximate, description of attention. The brain is captive to that internal information. On introspection — when relying on internal data — the system will always conclude that it has awareness, because that is what its internal models tell it.

As the model of attention increased in sophistication through evolutionary time, we hypothesize that it came to be used for a variety of other cognitive purposes. It may have enhanced the integration of information in the brain. For example, if your brain is attending to an apple, a model of that internal state requires a model of the apple, a model of yourself, and a model of the act of attention. These disparate pieces of information must be linked together — much like color and shape information must be linked together to form a visual model of the apple. Your brain would then possess an internal model that says, in effect, “I am aware of the apple.” An internal model of attention therefore fundamentally links information across many domains, especially between information about the self and information about the outside world.

Another use of an internal model of attention is to model the attentional state of other individuals to gain better prediction of their behavior. We suggest that in the human brain, similar and partly overlapping mechanisms attribute awareness to oneself and attribute awareness to others.

It is not clear when in evolution the social attribution of awareness began to emerge. The accompanying diagram places it at the start of primate evolution, 65 million years ago (MYA), but it could have begun much earlier. Perhaps most birds and mammals have some ability to attribute awareness to each other. Another possibility is that the social use of awareness expanded much later with hominins, beginning about 6 MYA. Now, in humans, consciousness plays a major role in social and cultural capability. We paint the world with perceived consciousness. Family, friends, pets, spirits, gods, these are all suffused with attributions of consciousness.

In this theory, awareness, the ability of brains to attribute to themselves a subjective experience of something, emerged first with a specific function related to the control of attention. It continues to evolve, however, expanding its cognitive role, becoming the intricate lattice of cognitive and social properties we call consciousness.

The attention schema theory is entirely mechanistic and therefore scientifically testable. In this theory, awareness is not a fuzzy philosophical flourish, but a key part of the brain's machinery for processing data.

Prof Graziano is using the word “awareness” to refer to a non-human animal’s hypothesised attribution of subjective experience to itself, and he only uses the word “consciousness” in connection with the more advanced and more definite human attribution of subjective experience to others as well as to self. I would prefer that usage (keeping “consciousness” for the unique, shared, interpersonal way humans think of awareness), while kennyc considers that “consciousness” should be the word for both animals and humans. Again, I don’t think either of us disagrees with Prof Graziano’s summing up of the science (at least as a reasonable set of hypotheses)?

I’m coming round to the view that the word “consciousness” (along with other mental terms) is at least currently irredeemably vague; people are going to use them to mean very different things. If the intended meaning is clear enough from the context, that’s fine, but if there’s a fair chance of being misunderstood, then the terms should be carefully defined at the outset (as Prof Graziano does in the quote above for “attention”, “awareness” and “consciousness”) or avoided altogether. I don’t think it’s helpful for atheists of a scientific persuasion to argue too much about exactly what mental terms such as “consciousness” should or should not mean, since the science is still unclear (I’m not sure how much of Prof Graziano’s exposition above is hypothetical) and the one point on which we agree is that most people (e.g. all theists) are using the words in error; it’s safer either to clarify what we mean on each occasion, or to avoid them, if we are trying to use exact terminology.
?

This does become tricky, because mental terms such as belief and intention, and indeed consciousness, are still used all the time, they express needed everyday concepts succinctly (in this respect beliefs and intentions are not like ghosts or angels), and trying to define them exactly or to replace them becomes long-winded and often less intelligible than before.
zoon

Print view this post

#31  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm

zoon wrote:In another thread here, logical bob has been making a case for treating all mental terms including consciousness in the second way, like “ghost” or “angel”. For logical bob (if I’ve understood him correctly) and those who agree with him, consciousness is simply something that has been shown not to exist.

That is unfortunate, IMO - a setback for the public understanding of neuroscience, and arising from the diverse concepts associated with the one word. Logical bob is burying his head in the sand, so to speak, if that is what he thinks.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby kennyc » Feb 12, 2016 11:08 am

scott1328 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
zoon wrote:

Right, like Theory of Mind being responsible for consciousness. :D

All it takes is Occams razor to see which is more likely. Awareness/Consciousness first or Attributing minds to others first. :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby scott1328 » Feb 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Since one view actually has a way of being tested and falsified and has evidence and is under active investigation, I don't think it is necessary to resort to Occam yet.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 18, 2016 8:08 pm

kennyc wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
kennyc wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

Right, like Theory of Mind being responsible for consciousness. :D

All it takes is Occams razor to see which is more likely. Awareness/Consciousness first or Attributing minds to others first. :lol:

Quite - it's a no-brainer, if you'll pardon the expression, because you can't attribute anything without first having the ability to attribute, which is a conscious brain function.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby scott1328 » Feb 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Petitio principii. Look it up

It should worry you, Kenny, that David agrees with you.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 23, 2016 4:50 pm

scott1328 wrote:Petitio principii. Look it up

It should worry you, Kenny, that David agrees with you.

:rofl:
And it should worry everyone else here that you use me as some kind of stick with which to beat others with.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 23, 2016 4:54 pm

If you ever said anything original or important, maybe you would get misrepresented and used to beat others with as well, who knows? :dunno:

EDIT: Oh, wait! Of course! it was just another attempt to get me to break the FUA, by being irritating, right?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Eight » Feb 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Here’s my take: humans are nothing like animals. Other than breathing they have almost nothing in common that I can tell, so the Raven thing is interesting only as it relates to animal behaviour.

Humans are a very different ballgame. (And they are not brains housed in bodies, I have to say.) Unlike animals they don’t obey some genetic blueprint that commands eat now, sleep now, scarper now. The raven quirk and the many likewise remarkable traits in other animals are just that: interesting individual kinks in those species’ endeavours to survive. (They have a very narrow range of emotions which is a bit of a red herring.)

The video test is dumb. Those kids are actual real individuals, meaning specifically their behaviour will be modified by their own personalities, thoughts, misunderstandings, etc., just like any adult. They will amaze you with their sense of dignity. Even toddlers. And you will know they are not mimicking anyone. They can genuinely be very considerate and very decent, which speaks to their alertness to others even while trying to come to grips with this confusing culture. It’s quite humbling when you spot it. I suspect that we startle them with our apparently weird behaviour. We patronise them from the moment they open their eyes, lie to them, bully them, brainwash them. They reach their teens and rebel because they know something is wrong. They protest and are not sure why, then out of desperation they need to go off and “find themselves”…

The video test only works if kids were made of a bunch of push-buttons and programming. I don’t know why the little girl responded the way she did but I am not convinced it was not what the guy thought, unless he’d already run this with her before. She had her own thoughts going on there when he first questioned her. He saw her as a test subject and she was being a person.

Babies don’t know where they properly end and the world begins, so they flail around with limbs, gurgle with vocals and work fingers until they get their bearings. Why should all babies be on the same timetable? And why should it have any significance? One spends more attention on one aspect – communicating with mom, let’s say – than some other kid.

The individual, the baby, doesn’t stop this learning process ever, really, for the best part of his remaining life. It simply expands beyond the discovery of his physical extremities and begins to include areas like his own mind and thoughts and conclusions (I’m assuming). Which is where this video question would come in.

I’m flying in the teeth of what you folks have been saying. I no psychologist so I hope I’m not too much of a spanner because I love these discussions.
Eight

Name: Aden
Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#39  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Eight wrote:Here’s my take: humans are nothing like animals. Other than breathing they have almost nothing in common that I can tell, ...

Humans have plenty in common with their nearest relatives, chimps, and quite a lot with other great apes. So it depends very much on which animal you are talking about.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby GrahamH » Feb 24, 2016 5:08 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Quite - it's a no-brainer, if you'll pardon the expression, because you can't attribute anything without first having the ability to attribute, which is a conscious brain function.

How would you know that attribution "is a conscious brain function"?

Granted we can be conscious of attribution, but I don't think anyone quite knows what "a conscious brain function" is, let alone whether it drives attribution. What does seem clear is that "thinking" is something attributed to "my mind". Maybe attribution is more basic than experience of attribution. How are you going to work that out?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience