Discussion on blood donation

Split from Orlando shooting thread

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Discussion on blood donation

#141  Postby scott1328 » Jun 19, 2016 1:39 pm

And every time one of those blood drives come up at my company, I face questions of "why don't you donate? Are you afraid?" Or worse: "why don't yo.... Oh yeah..." Yeah your blood is exactly as risky as a crack whore, thanks for not donating.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#142  Postby kiore » Jun 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
kiore wrote:Asking questions before donation is somewhat useful, however just asking about a change of partner or gender of partner not very useful as it does not really take into account any risks partners might have that you may be unaware of, regular or not. A more effective strategy is a risk discussion with the potential donor rather than just a screening checklist, I do understand that checklists are easier to apply but are rather blunt instruments. For example the American Red Cross eliminate you if you lived in the UK in the 1980's, even if you were a vegetarian or never ate beef, also they insist on a 2 year waiting period following travel to a country where malaria present, whether you actually traveled to a risk area or not. This kind of generalized risk assessment encourages negative answers as a default. I experienced this in Australia where they asked me if any of my partners had ever injected illegal drugs (despite this not being a high risk in Australia due to safe injecting policies) or had sex with a man who had sex with men.. When I declined to declare this on behalf of another person, I was encouraged to just declare the negative, even though I stated I could not be certain of other peoples status in this regard, and anyway they may not be certain themselves about others they may have had sex with.
The recent scandal in India where large numbers of people have been and continue to be infected with HIV from blood transfusions is about their screening systems or the lack of them, in countries that screen transfusions this has functionally ceased to be an issue.

Could you elaborate on this risk discussion?

OK well it is like a medical consultation using the identified risk groups used for the location with added information from the individual. For example, using the 'resided in the UK in the 1980's' question, the 'real' question is did you eat beef in the UK in the 1980's, a responder that did not is not is the specific risk group despite being in the general risk group. It may even be decided that being in general risk group in multiple categories puts you on a wait and see status, or an extra testing required category. The extra information might change the status of the would be donor either way and should include an explanation of why this is necessary and even a referral for further investigation if an actual risk identified. Well informed people make better decisions and give better histories. Would be donors should be made aware that the screening of donated products not 100% effective and be assured the reasons for the questions and discussion, of what at some point could be illegal activities, are being done for benefit rather than generated by prejudice or simply pointless bureaucracy.
This of course takes longer than a simple questionnaire, but is all about safety.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#143  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 4:01 pm

kiore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
kiore wrote:Asking questions before donation is somewhat useful, however just asking about a change of partner or gender of partner not very useful as it does not really take into account any risks partners might have that you may be unaware of, regular or not. A more effective strategy is a risk discussion with the potential donor rather than just a screening checklist, I do understand that checklists are easier to apply but are rather blunt instruments. For example the American Red Cross eliminate you if you lived in the UK in the 1980's, even if you were a vegetarian or never ate beef, also they insist on a 2 year waiting period following travel to a country where malaria present, whether you actually traveled to a risk area or not. This kind of generalized risk assessment encourages negative answers as a default. I experienced this in Australia where they asked me if any of my partners had ever injected illegal drugs (despite this not being a high risk in Australia due to safe injecting policies) or had sex with a man who had sex with men.. When I declined to declare this on behalf of another person, I was encouraged to just declare the negative, even though I stated I could not be certain of other peoples status in this regard, and anyway they may not be certain themselves about others they may have had sex with.
The recent scandal in India where large numbers of people have been and continue to be infected with HIV from blood transfusions is about their screening systems or the lack of them, in countries that screen transfusions this has functionally ceased to be an issue.

Could you elaborate on this risk discussion?

OK well it is like a medical consultation using the identified risk groups used for the location with added information from the individual. For example, using the 'resided in the UK in the 1980's' question, the 'real' question is did you eat beef in the UK in the 1980's, a responder that did not is not is the specific risk group despite being in the general risk group. It may even be decided that being in general risk group in multiple categories puts you on a wait and see status, or an extra testing required category. The extra information might change the status of the would be donor either way and should include an explanation of why this is necessary and even a referral for further investigation if an actual risk identified. Well informed people make better decisions and give better histories. Would be donors should be made aware that the screening of donated products not 100% effective and be assured the reasons for the questions and discussion, of what at some point could be illegal activities, are being done for benefit rather than generated by prejudice or simply pointless bureaucracy.
This of course takes longer than a simple questionnaire, but is all about safety.

I see. Sounds reasonable.
I mean at current they're not even distinguishing between forms of sex or number of partners. Just blanket MSM.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#144  Postby kiore » Jun 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
I mean at current they're not even distinguishing between forms of sex or number of partners. Just blanket MSM.

It is not only reasonable but far more accurate, I work in Public Health and use questionnaires all the time, it is clear that although an effective tool, they are more effective when the subject understands why and what the implications are, and when they generate further discussion. My personal opinion is that it is also unethical to screen without treatment, the treatment could be simply a referral to appropriate followup. To give another example of this if you 'fail' the question on intravenous drug use but further information shows you are a health professional using clean equipment, pharmaceutical drugs and not sharing, this might remove you from the risk group effectively, but it would be wrong not to then offer counselling and referral. Similarly for potential HIV+ status, if the decision is that the would be donor is actually in a high risk group, the care should not cease with declining to accept the donation but referral for sexual health counselling and testing is required.
Just using a marker of MSM with no further information is not very helpful, I worked for many years in sexual health and know that people define sex very differently and not always in the way the question seeks to establish; it was not sex as I didn't cum.... or conversely; we had sex but didn't touch each other.. A simple yes/no questionnaire cannot discover important information and may even be misleading.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#145  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 4:32 pm

kiore wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

It is not only reasonable but far more accurate,

In this case does the latter not imply the former?

kiore wrote: I work in Public Health and use questionnaires all the time, it is clear that although an effective tool, they are more effective when the subject understands why and what the implications are, and when they generate further discussion. My personal opinion is that it is also unethical to screen without treatment, the treatment could be simply a referral to appropriate followup. To give another example of this if you 'fail' the question on intravenous drug use but further information shows you are a health professional using clean equipment, pharmaceutical drugs and not sharing, this might remove you from the risk group effectively, but it would be wrong not to then offer counselling and referral. Similarly for potential HIV+ status, if the decision is that the would be donor is actually in a high risk group, the care should not cease with declining to accept the donation but referral for sexual health counselling and testing is required.
Just using a marker of MSM with no further information is not very helpful, I worked for many years in sexual health and know that people define sex very differently and not always in the way the question seeks to establish; it was not sex as I didn't cum.... or conversely; we had sex but didn't touch each other.. A simple yes/no questionnaire cannot discover important information and may even be misleading.

:nod:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#146  Postby ED209 » Jun 19, 2016 4:47 pm

scott1328 wrote:And every time one of those blood drives come up at my company, I face questions of "why don't you donate? Are you afraid?" Or worse: "why don't yo.... Oh yeah..." Yeah your blood is exactly as risky as a crack whore, thanks for not donating.

There's any number of reasons for someone not giving blood and I can't think of a single one that is any of your co-workers' business.

This is a matter of basic courtesy first and foremost because if the screening were relaxed in the one regard that affects you, there would still be people unable to donate because they in fact do carry an infectious disease (or are on medication, or have undergone certain medical treatments, or whatever) which presumably they would be expected to disclose in conversation to the nosey arseholes they work with. Or, you know, people in the workplace could just mind their own business when it comes to private matters of health and personal life.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#147  Postby Animavore » Jun 24, 2016 9:32 am

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/he ... 29163.html
The lifetime ban on gay men from giving blood looks set to be lifted by the end of the year.

The board the the Irish Blood Transfusion Service (IBTS), which met yesterday to discuss the issue, recommended the ban should end.

Getting there, I suppose. :)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Acetone » Jun 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Animavore wrote:http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/ban-on-blood-donations-by-gay-men-to-end-34829163.html
The lifetime ban on gay men from giving blood looks set to be lifted by the end of the year.

The board the the Irish Blood Transfusion Service (IBTS), which met yesterday to discuss the issue, recommended the ban should end.

Canada is looking to remove the abstinence period as well. It's difficult goings though because Health Canada (our public Health agency) is pretty conservative and slow moving (IMO at least).
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Acetone wrote:
Animavore wrote:http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/ban-on-blood-donations-by-gay-men-to-end-34829163.html

Canada is looking to remove the abstinence period as well. It's difficult goings though because Health Canada (our public Health agency) is pretty conservative and slow moving (IMO at least).

Same here.
In fact over, local courts ruled a blanket ban or deferral for MSM to be irrationally contradictory to basic human rights, specifically discrimination, whilst the EU court ruled bans to be illegal, but deferrals not.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#150  Postby scott1328 » Jul 26, 2016 7:30 pm

It's about fucking time:

The FDA signals it may lift a long-standing and controversial restriction

In the notice, the agency acknowledges suggestions that it should move from a time-based ban to rules that take into account an individual’s risk of HIV. “An individual risk assessment would involve asking potential donors a series of questions designed to defer donors with high risk behaviors,” the FDA wrote.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 26, 2016 7:48 pm

scott1328 wrote:It's about fucking time:

In the notice, the agency acknowledges suggestions that it should move from a time-based ban to rules that take into account an individual’s risk of HIV. “An individual risk assessment would involve asking potential donors a series of questions designed to defer donors with high risk behaviors,” the FDA wrote.

I really hope the relevant orginisations over here take the same steps.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#152  Postby kiore » Jul 28, 2016 11:34 pm

scott1328 wrote:It's about fucking time:

I believe this is what I was writing about earlier, this is not only more fair, but more effective. If organizations like the American Red Cross were really serious about collecting safe supplies they should have been implementing things like this many years ago.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs