Excellent rant against feminists and SJWs at UMass

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Excellent rant against feminists and SJWs at UMass

#161  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 19, 2016 9:05 am

VazScep wrote:While I haven't noticed any SJW stuff, I have seen lots of posters around Edinburgh for the "Campaign Against Living Miserably", which seems, based on the posters, to be about men being pressured into doing stuff by other men. Each one invents a word for some issue that men face. Sometimes they sound pretty serious:

Others less so:

The posters come from public contributors to #mandictionary which is part of the CALM website.

We think that it’s time for men to define themselves on their own terms, say sayonara to harmful, boring and archaic male stereotypes and have a bit of fun at the same time. Post your definitions and words using the hashtag #mandictionary on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine (then shared on twitter) and Google+ and get involved.

Some of them seem to be a little confused about the point....

Colours, flowers, and things of a typically feminine nature? :lol:

Someone should have notified Monet. :nono:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#162  Postby Evolving » Aug 19, 2016 9:58 am

Womonet.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#163  Postby tuco » Aug 19, 2016 4:12 pm

You can talk to us :) Sure you can.
tuco

Print view this post

#164  Postby proudfootz » Aug 20, 2016 10:50 am

Bernoulli wrote:It seems to be the new thing on the right, to make up terms that essentially mean nothing, to label the left with. Not that that should be a surprise. The right has never relied on intelligence and reason to any great degree.

In the US we do have one political candidate who is brave enough stand up to the SJWs, and his campaign is hugely popular.

Trump will put a stop to this terrible scourge!
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#165  Postby Briton » Aug 20, 2016 1:55 pm

Animavore wrote:One thing I've noticed a lot with words and 'SJWs' is a lot of them fall for the genetic fallacy, and also they are often, ironically, insensitive to how words are used in other cultures (it's a largely American phenomena).

A great example is the word 'cunt', which to some shouldn't be used because it's 'misogynistic', but the word, as used now, especially in Ireland, UK, and Australia, has little to do with its original meaning. In fact, I didn't know of its original meaning 'til I was in my 20s, and have never used that word myself in that way, any more than I use 'ejaculate' as used by Emily Bronte.

When I call a friend a 'funny cunt', I'm not saying he's an odd looking vagina. 'Cunt' is practically interchangeable with 'bloke' here, or, more accurately, a stand up bloke. And that's just one of its many uses. It's this lack of understanding of nuance of language in some that bugs me when I hear someone trying to police language.

Good points. I don't think I've ever heard the word used in a specifically misogynistic way.

My father told me that, when I was a toddler, if someone offered me a piece of fruit cake I'd say, "no! It's got cunts in it".
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#166  Postby felltoearth » Aug 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
VazScep wrote:While I haven't noticed any SJW stuff, I have seen lots of posters around Edinburgh for the "Campaign Against Living Miserably", which seems, based on the posters, to be about men being pressured into doing stuff by other men. Each one invents a word for some issue that men face. Sometimes they sound pretty serious:

Others less so:

The posters come from public contributors to #mandictionary which is part of the CALM website.

We think that it’s time for men to define themselves on their own terms, say sayonara to harmful, boring and archaic male stereotypes and have a bit of fun at the same time. Post your definitions and words using the hashtag #mandictionary on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vine (then shared on twitter) and Google+ and get involved.

Some of them seem to be a little confused about the point....

Colours, flowers, and things of a typically feminine nature? :lol:

Someone should have notified Monet. :nono:

Yep. Use the word Taupe and you get funny looks. It is actually a thing in some "manly" contexts.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#167  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Aug 26, 2016 8:50 pm

VazScep wrote:Has anyone here actually met an SJW?

Haven't met any, but what about people like PZ Myers?
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#168  Postby quas » Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:This idea SJWs are having any measurable impact on daily life for others? Not really and the complaining about them is disproportionate. If you seek them out on one of their internet hideaways, well, sure! You won't find them in real life though.

Depends on how you define the term "SJW".

I saw a Youtuber giving new definitions to the term "SJW" that made me realise that SJW could cause the end of the world as you know it.

He defined SJW as follows:
- sadist trolls.
Internet bullies who cause suicides.
- political opposition.
there is a new form of opposition that's seemingly in vogue these days where the opposition criticise everything, seemingly wanting change, but the truth is he only wants to maintain the status quo. This has become the greatest threat to democracy everywhere. It's like that Waldo character in Black Mirror. He criticises everything and doesn't stand for anything.
- fascist disguised as progressive.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#169  Postby Fallible » Jan 21, 2018 9:34 pm

WTF...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 21, 2018 9:35 pm

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#171  Postby laklak » Jan 21, 2018 9:38 pm

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#172  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 23, 2018 3:01 am

quas wrote:
there is a new form of opposition that is seemingly in vogue these days where the opposition criticise
everything seemingly wanting change but the truth is he only wants to maintain the status quo

That makes absolutely no sense because why criticise that what you actually want to maintain
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#173  Postby The_Piper » Jan 23, 2018 4:03 am

I thought it's en vogue, pronounced "ahn". :shifty:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#174  Postby NineBerry » Jan 23, 2018 8:21 am

When you define hand grenate to mean banana, you can actually enjoy a hand grenade smoothie.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#175  Postby quas » Jan 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote::this:

You have watched that Black Mirror Waldo episode?

It depicts a new form of political opposition that's trending these days. And this manner of political opposition somehow strangely overlaps with the SJW-ism that's plaguing the internets, which suggests that SJW is a real threat to humanity, not just some silly internet meme that stays in the internet or some other trivial stuff (refer to Animavore's post about the SJW friend who was easily offended over trivial bullshit).

surreptitious57 wrote:
quas wrote:
there is a new form of opposition that is seemingly in vogue these days where the opposition criticise
everything seemingly wanting change but the truth is he only wants to maintain the status quo

That makes absolutely no sense because why criticise that what you actually want to maintain

It's so counter-intuitive, until you see how elections are won these days.

For example, Trump criticises Hillary for being a crony capitalist. This gets his supporters to believe that Trump is so anti-crony capitalism, so under president Trump, America would finally be rid of crony capitalism. Even if the truth is that when Trump becomes president, crony capitalism will still be around, perhaps even more thriving than before!

Maybe this isn't a new phenomenon, considering that George Orwell talked about the same thing in Animal Farm, where the pigs overthrow the human farmer tyrants only to replace the humans as the new tyrants. But, it seems to me like, until recently, political campaigns didn't use to be that brazenly hypocritical. There used to be a bit more honesty, or at least, the previous generation of politicians didn't dare to lie that brazenly during election campaigns.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#176  Postby Tero » Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Er, I did not read allof it, but this making fun with made up terms seems to be common from Trump to all the show hosts to the anncoulters. It really has no content. Trump has reduced discussion to name calling and tweets.

If you look at the actual claims and arguments, Ann Coulter does not really hold water.

Whatever. If you hate government, sure make jokes of these excesses. It’s of no value other than entertainment. None of it recognizes that almost nothing will change. The groups will always exist. And they will not just stay out of each others’ way.
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion