10 facts about Atheists

Study by the PEW research center

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 10 facts about Atheists

#61  Postby Fallible » Dec 04, 2016 11:22 am

I'm more impressed by the fact that you remember a book you read when you were 14.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Evolving » Dec 04, 2016 11:26 am

I remember books that I read longer ago than that. The St Clare's books, for instance, and the Malory Towers books. Also about conservative schools. A pattern's emerging, isn't it?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Fallible » Dec 04, 2016 11:35 am

Indeed! Oh, those Malory Towers girls! Writing on Teacher's chair with pink chalk! After some thought, I'm not that impressed. I remember reading The Magic Faraway Tree when I was about 7, and If Tomorrow Comes at 12. :picard: In my defence, I also read The House of the Seven Gables at 12.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Alan B » Dec 04, 2016 5:50 pm

I remember books I read certainly pre-teens (I was an avid reader by the time I was seven). Biggles, of course and stories of daring-do in the British Navy by Percy F C Westerman. I tried some of Blyton, but somehow they didn't grab my attention.

Although what this has got to do with 'facts' about atheism, I'm not sure...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Evolving » Dec 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Many atheists have read and enjoyed the St Clare's books. Fact!

(to be said in an Inspector Clouseau voice)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#66  Postby laklak » Dec 04, 2016 6:09 pm

I remember a lot of books I read as a mere sprat of a lad. Sea Fever, Two Years Before the Mast, Treasure Island - I read a lot of sea stories.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#67  Postby surreptitious57 » Dec 05, 2016 1:18 am

I always forget the plot of a book after finishing it but strangely remember it if it was a great read
I remember all of the books I read in school but none made a lasting impression on me. Obviously
too immature at the time to appreciate great literature

The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe
The Merchant Of Venice
The Grapes Of Wrath
Great Expectations
An Inspector Calls
Of Mice And Men
Treasure Island
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#68  Postby Handy andy » Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm

God is in you and around you and everthing you see agrees with both atheism and most religions. What Atheists do not believe is the mythological mumbo jumbo. What religious fanatics dont believe is some one can write the statement I have just written, and not follow a religion. Religion can have a purpose in society as a social meeting place it should not be telling people what they can think and do and how to dress etc. It has become like a hand reaching out from the past, holding humanity back, it needs to be more progress and inclusive. Only a fanatic believes everything they are told or read in a religous text. Human sacrifice was a regular event in the old testament is the human race to revert to this because the darker side of the occult was practised 3000 years ago.
Handy andy

Name: Andy

Print view this post

#69  Postby Macdoc » Mar 01, 2017 2:18 am

:roll:

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2017 7:56 am

Handy andy wrote:God is in you and around you

Evidence please.

and everthing you see agrees with both atheism and most religions.

Evidence please.

What Atheists

No need for a capital letter.

do not believe is the mythological mumbo jumbo.

Atheists don't believe in gods.

What religious fanatics dont believe is some one can write the statement I have just written, and not follow a religion.

What is this 'God' you began by talking about?

Religion can have a purpose in society as a social meeting place

There are plenty of 'social meeting places' that have nothing to do with religion, so it's redundant in that regard.

it should not be telling people what they can think and do and how to dress etc.

Well no, obviously, however telling people what they can think and do is a major part of most religions.

It has become like a hand reaching out from the past, holding humanity back, it needs to be more progress and inclusive.

Orrr....it needs to just go away if it has become so inhibitive that it's holding humanity back.

Only a fanatic believes everything they are told or read in a religous text. Human sacrifice was a regular event in the old testament is the human race to revert to this because the darker side of the occult was practised 3000 years ago.

:ask:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 01, 2017 7:58 am

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#72  Postby aban57 » Mar 01, 2017 9:55 am

Handy andy wrote:God is in you and around you and everthing you see agrees with both atheism and most religions. What Atheists do not believe is the mythological mumbo jumbo. What religious fanatics dont believe is some one can write the statement I have just written, and not follow a religion. Religion can have a purpose in society as a social meeting place it should not be telling people what they can think and do and how to dress etc. It has become like a hand reaching out from the past, holding humanity back, it needs to be more progress and inclusive. Only a fanatic believes everything they are told or read in a religous text. Human sacrifice was a regular event in the old testament is the human race to revert to this because the darker side of the occult was practised 3000 years ago.

You can separate gods and religions if you want, that doesn't make gods any less mythological. Whether there is an organized movement to spread the belief of this god or not is totally irrelevant to the existence of the god in question.
For each god you claim exists, you have to provide evidence. Billions of people have failed at this before you. What makes you feel so special ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Alan B » Mar 01, 2017 9:58 am

'God' is, or gods are, mythological mumbo-jumbo. Until you can produce evidence (as Fallible says), the existence of such an 'entity' or 'entities' is entirely within your own mind, a figment of your imagination.
As such, 'it' cannot escape as a discrete entity from your mind to someone else's mind except as an idea to infect another gullible person.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2017 10:05 am

How about some Mumbo Italanio:

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Alan B » Mar 01, 2017 10:16 am

Ah, Sophia! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2017 11:19 am

Alan B wrote:Ah, Sophia! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I know Alan. Amazing woman and great actress. Dont make them like that anymore.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism