R.I.P. THREAD

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: R.I.P. THREAD

#1661  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jan 28, 2017 5:33 pm

John Hurt's death has hit me the hardest. It literally brought tears to my eyes. On the top of my list of favorite actors and beloved personalities since watching 1984 in my high school classroom. A movie that has helped sculpt my life and values. He will be missed and fondly remembered.

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1662  Postby felltoearth » Jan 29, 2017 11:06 pm

A story from my brother:

Damn. John Hurt. RIP. Got to talk to him at a Hothouse Flowers gig at the Horseshoe. I was a mess. He was kind.
"I just saw you on Inside The Actors Studio!!"
"Yes. And I've done other things".
Delightful. I'm an ass when it comes to these things.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1663  Postby Corneel » Feb 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Etienne Tshisekedi, historical leader of the opposition against Mobutu and both Kabilas died yesterday afternoon, while transition arrangements for the end of Kabila Junior's presidency are under negociation. The situation in the RDC got quite a bit more complicated with his death.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#1664  Postby BlackBart » Feb 02, 2017 7:52 pm

John Wetton

Asia star John Wetton has died aged 67 after a battle with colon cancer, his bandmate Carl Palmer has said.

According to a brief statement released by the band, Wetton passed away in his sleep on Tuesday morning.

Wetton played bass and sang in King Crimson, Uriah Heep and Roxy Music before fronting supergroup Asia.

Palmer said on Facebook: "With the passing of my good friend and musical collaborator, John Wetton, the world loses yet another musical giant."

I haz a sad. :(
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1665  Postby DougC » Feb 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Gordon Lewis Aikman BEM
(2 April 1985 – 3 February 2017)
British motor neurone disease campaigner and former Director of Research for Better Together.
Wiki

Maren Margrethe Thomsen
known as Maren Margrethe "Grethe" Bartram and "Thora"
(23 February 1924 – 31 January 2017)
Danish woman who informed on at least 53 people from the Danish resistance movement during the Second World War, resulting in the early communist resistance groups being dismantled and many of their members being sent to Nazi concentration camps. Bartram informed on her brother, husband and close acquaintances.
Wiki
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1666  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 03, 2017 5:04 pm

DougC wrote:

Maren Margrethe Thomsen
known as Maren Margrethe "Grethe" Bartram and "Thora"
(23 February 1924 – 31 January 2017)
Danish woman who informed on at least 53 people from the Danish resistance movement during the Second World War, resulting in the early communist resistance groups being dismantled and many of their members being sent to Nazi concentration camps. Bartram informed on her brother, husband and close acquaintances.
Wiki

There was a Dutch Jewess Ans van Dijk who did exactly the same (700 in this case) but she did not see 1950. I am surprised she was allowed to live.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1667  Postby Mike_L » Feb 06, 2017 1:26 pm

South African rugby star Joost van der Westhuizen, after a long battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (he was diagnosed in 2011).
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/sa-rugby-mourns-joost-20170206
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1668  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 09, 2017 6:08 am

Bernard Skinner, author of a seminal work on British Lepidoptera, died on 8th February 2017. Sadly he seems not to have been notable enough to appear on Wikipedia despite this.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1669  Postby Fallible » Feb 09, 2017 7:25 am

She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1670  Postby DougC » Feb 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Alan Francis Simpson, OBE
(27 November 1929 – 8 February 2017)
English scriptwriter, best known for the Galton and Simpson comedy writing partnership with Ray Galton. Together they devised and wrote the BBC sitcom Hancock's Half Hour (1954–1961), the first two series of Comedy Playhouse (1961–1963), and Steptoe and Son (1962–1974).
Wiki

Richard Lawrence Hatch
(May 21, 1945 – February 7, 2017)
American actor, writer, and producer. Hatch began his career as a stage actor, before moving on to television work in the 1970s. Hatch is best known for his role as Captain Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica television series.
Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1671  Postby Mike_L » Feb 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Physicist Peter Mansfield, who won the Nobel Prize for helping to invent MRI scanners, has died at the age of 83.
The University of Nottingham released a statement from Mansfield's family on Thursday confirming his death a day earlier.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/nobel-winner-for-work-on-mri-dies-20170210
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1672  Postby Mike_L » Feb 10, 2017 12:23 pm

DougC wrote:Richard Lawrence Hatch
(May 21, 1945 – February 7, 2017)
American actor, writer, and producer. Hatch began his career as a stage actor, before moving on to television work in the 1970s. Hatch is best known for his role as Captain Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica television series.
Wiki

:(

Stu Phillips' excellent score serves as a suitable tribute...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1673  Postby Pulsar » Feb 13, 2017 8:11 am

Al Jarreau
(March 12, 1940 – February 12, 2017)
American singer and musician. Jarreau received a total of seven Grammy Awards and was nominated for over a dozen more. Jarreau is perhaps best known for his 1981 album Breakin' Away, for having sung the theme song of the late–1980s television series Moonlighting, and as a performer in the 1985 charity song "We Are the World".
wiki

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#1674  Postby DougC » Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Raymond Dugrand
(13 January 1925 – 13 February 2017)
French geographer and urban planner. He was a professor of geography at the University of Montpellier, and the author of several books about the geography of the Languedoc. He was the head of urban planning for the city of Montpellier from 1977 to 2001. He is the namesake of an avenue in Montpellier.
Wiki

Kim Jong-nam
(10 May 1971 – 13 February 2017)
The eldest son of Kim Jong-il, leader of North Korea from 1994 until 2011. From roughly 1994 to 2001, he was considered to be the heir apparent to his father and the next leader of North Korea. Following a much-publicized botched attempt to enter Japan using a fake passport and visit Tokyo Disneyland in May 2001, he was thought to have fallen out of favor with his father.
Wiki

Damian Davey
(real name Damian Baker; 30 September 1964 – 12 February 2017)
Better known by the mononym Damian, was an English pop musician, best known for his 1989 hit "The Time Warp", a cover version of the original track from The Rocky Horror Show.
Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1675  Postby Mike_L » Feb 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Vitaly Churkin

Russia's ambassador to United Nations dies
2017-02-21

Russia's ambassador to the United Nations, a veteran diplomat known as a potent, savvy yet personable voice for his country's interests who could both spar and get along with his Western counterparts, died suddenly Monday after falling ill in his office at Russia's UN mission.

Vitaly Churkin was taken to a hospital, where he died a day before his 65th birthday, said Russia's deputy UN ambassador, Vladimir Safronkov. The cause of his death was unknown.

As Russia's envoy at the United Nations since 2006 and a diplomat for decades, Churkin was considered Moscow's great champion at the UN, where he was the longest-serving ambassador on the powerful Security Council.
Full text at:
http://www.news24.com/World/News/russias-ambassador-to-united-nations-dies-20170221
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#1676  Postby DougC » Feb 24, 2017 3:20 pm

Steve Hewlett
(8 August 1958 – 20 February 2017)
British print and radio journalist and visiting professor of Journalism and Broadcast Policy at the University of Salford.
Wiki

Mildred Dresselhaus
(née Spiewak; November 11, 1930 – February 20, 2017)
American known as the "queen of carbon science", was the first female Institute Professor and professor emerita of physics and electrical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dresselhaus won numerous awards including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the National Medal of Science, the Enrico Fermi Award and the Vannevar Bush Award.
Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1677  Postby Animavore » Feb 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Bill Paxton. Aged 61. Complications of surgery.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1678  Postby Rumraket » Feb 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Animavore wrote:Bill Paxton. Aged 61. Complications of surgery.

How lame and tedious. :confused:

Game Over.jpg
Game Over.jpg (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#1679  Postby Pulsar » Feb 26, 2017 5:30 pm

:(
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#1680  Postby Animavore » Feb 26, 2017 5:35 pm

All the media are mentioning the big films, Aliens and Titanic- the latter I don't even remember him in - but I thought immediately of True Lies and The Last Supper when I saw him. And I had to look up the latter because apart from him it was a forgettable movie.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion