Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

mass grave at Catholic home

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

#181  Postby angelo » Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

Alan B wrote:While the, er, 'normal' priests have a captive audience - the nuns.

Why do you think monasteries were set up for? :lol:
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 17, 2017 11:01 am

Alan B wrote:Coo. Couldn't have got much schooling... :whistle: :shifty:

How many young hetero priests do you think there were?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Alan B » Mar 17, 2017 11:26 am

Quite a few.
Irish Times
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#184  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 17, 2017 11:35 am

Well most appear in Africa these days. Nuns are safe as they have the least chance of having aids.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#185  Postby Alan B » Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Africa? I can imagine that any births would be more easily 'covered-up' in areas where the church has a strong hold and media exposure is suppressed.

Edit
Patheos
Vatican Confirms Widespread Rape Of Nuns By Priests In 23 Countries

The Catholic Church in Rome made the extraordinary admission yesterday that it is aware priests from at least 23 countries have been sexually abusing nuns.
The Catholic Church in Rome made the extraordinary admission yesterday that it is aware priests from at least 23 countries have been sexually abusing nuns.
Most of the abuse has occurred in Africa, where priests vowed to celibacy, who previously sought out prostitutes, have preyed on nuns to avoid contracting the Aids virus.

An example of Catholic priestly logic :
A Nun's Testimony
When I took my perpetual vows and signed away my life and possessions I had sold my soul for a mythical mess of pottage. Not only are the nuns systematically destroyed in body but hundreds have their minds shattered and die premature deaths under the cruel and heartless convent bondage. To make it even worse the poor creatures sacrifice all of this and then go out to meet God, Christless and lost for all eternity. How we need to pray for those closed off from the world and the gospel all over the world in these terrible prisons called cloistered convents.

Mother Superior next locked her arm in mine and we walked down the center of another room. A Roman Catholic priest, dressed in holy habit, came to meet us from the other end of the room. When we met, Mother dropped my arm and the priest stepped around and attempted to lock his arm in mine.

I recoiled in horror at this intimacy, for never, in all my years in the convent had a priest ever approached me like this. Always they had been kind, considerate and very polite. Something about the familiarity of his touch and the lecherous look in his eyes repulsed and insulted me although I did not understand exactly why. I jerked loose, blushing with embarrassment and exploded, "Shame on you." I felt violated and threatened. He turned red in the face and became very angry at my rejection of his overtures to lead me to the "bridal chamber."

Evidently Mother Superior overheard the exchange for she quickly returned, called by my church name, and informed me that after I had been in the convent a while I would not feel this way. She said all nuns felt the same in the beginning and sternly reminded me of the wedding ceremony I had gone through and of my obligation. She said a priest's body was sanctified and what they did was not sin. I was terrified, and sobbed hysterically, my mind reeling and I refused to accept what she said.

She became very angry and stiffly said, "As the Holy Ghost placed the seed in the Virgin Mary's womb and Jesus Christ was born, even so the priest represents the Holy Ghost, therefore it is not a sin for nuns to bear his children."
My emphasis.
Even if the above is a fictional invention, I can believe that it is not an unreasonable example of Catholic thinking.
Last edited by Alan B on Mar 17, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Alan B wrote:Africa? I can imagine that any births would be more easily 'covered-up' in areas where the church has a strong hold and media exposure is suppressed.

There is hardly covering up required as nuns are moved around so easily. Plenty of reasons are available. Who would notice?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#187  Postby angelo » Mar 19, 2017 8:59 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Well most appear in Africa these days. Nuns are safe as they have the least chance of having aids.

From the many nuns I've seen, one would need to be extremely hard up to fancy some of them. :lol: :grin:
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#188  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am

You would be surprised when the African heat gets to you.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Fallible » Mar 19, 2017 10:50 am

Amazing, a thread about an utter atrocity devolves to the sexiness of nuns.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#190  Postby angelo » Mar 19, 2017 11:03 am

Religion in all it's guises is an atrocity!
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 19, 2017 11:13 am

Fallible wrote:Amazing, a thread about an utter atrocity devolves to the sexiness of nuns.

Sorry? We are talking about an organisation while claiming to be so virtuous and sexually pure is actually the lowest of the low.
It is a disgusting organisation totally absorbed by one thing and that is sex. In villages people knew who entertained the priest or the housekeeper that was his constant companion. How nuns enjoyed teasing the young stupid girls in the laundries or how young boys locked up in the industrial schools dreaded lights out and the tap on the shoulder. I can go on and on and produce one after another harrowing story which has been exposed. It is a normal human reaction.

When I was in the police my worst ever accident I attended was on the the Forth Road approach road where a mini was squashed between two HGV. There was four kids inside it. I was given the job of rescuing as much as I could along with a colleague. We never joked so much. The reality would have driven us mad.

The same is true here.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Fallible » Mar 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Yeah, I'm sure gallows humour was exactly what angelo was going for with his comment, and it has nothing at all to do with his years of Neanderthal comments about women on this forum. Don't be an apologist for his shit.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Fallible » Mar 19, 2017 5:04 pm

angelo wrote:Religion in all it's guises is an atrocity!

You're an atrocity.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#194  Postby angelo » Mar 20, 2017 10:27 am

Fallible wrote:
angelo wrote:Religion in all it's guises is an atrocity!

You're an atrocity.

Do you really want me to tell you what you can do with your PC comments?
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Fallible » Mar 20, 2017 11:31 am

I don't want you to do anything but fuck off and fuck off while you're doing it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#196  Postby kiore » Mar 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Fallible wrote:I don't want you to do anything but fuck off and fuck off while you're doing it.

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Fallible you are advised that this comment and your previous one calling another member an 'Atrocity' are personal attacks and are not permitted here as you well know.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#197  Postby kiore » Mar 21, 2017 11:25 pm

angelo wrote:
From the many nuns I've seen, one would need to be extremely hard up to fancy some of them. :lol: :grin:

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Angelo, you are advised that your sexist comments are both sexist and derailing this thread, both of which are contrary to the Forum Users Agreement.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#198  Postby angelo » Mar 22, 2017 2:48 am

Point/warning noted.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Well another catholic home under investigation:

Bodies of hundreds of children 'buried in mass grave in Lanarkshire'

‘Whoever is behind this, I hope they can live with themselves,’ says child's brother

The bodies of hundreds of babies, toddlers and older children who were living in an orphanage are thought to be buried in a mass grave in Scotland, according to a new report.

The remains of at least 400 infants, who had been cared for by Catholic nuns at the Smyllum Park Orphanage, are believed to be buried in a plot in St Mary’s Cemetery, in Lanarkshire.

Allegations of abuse at the home – including beatings, psychological abuse and public humiliation – have also been uncovered by the The Sunday Post and BBC’s File on Four investigation.

“Whoever is behind this, I hope they can live with themselves,” Eddie McColl told the BBC. His brother Francis is thought to be buried in the unmarked grave.

Mr McColl never found out what happened to Francis, but said he was told at one point that he had died after being struck on the head with a golf club.

The Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry is investigating what occurred at Smyllum.

The home, which was run by The Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul, cared for 11,600 children between 1864 and closed in 1981. Former residents of Smyllum – Frank Docherty and Jim Kane – uncovered a burial plot containing the bodies of a number of children in 2003.

More...

This is also not that long ago which sickens me.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Agrippina » Sep 10, 2017 4:13 pm

:waah:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs