The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy!?

odd mess of large objects circling star

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy!?

#141  Postby DavidMcC » May 20, 2017 1:50 pm

... In other news, dogs still bite men. :o
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby newolder » May 20, 2017 2:14 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:I know. Check the data at the linked article. It's an ongoing event and folk are adjusting telescope time to get a look.

I'm sure it's still happening, but that's hardly a reason to get all excited. OTOH, if it stopped being irregular, that really WOULD be news.

I do not need, nor did I seek, your permission to get excited.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#143  Postby DavidMcC » May 20, 2017 2:24 pm

newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:I know. Check the data at the linked article. It's an ongoing event and folk are adjusting telescope time to get a look.

I'm sure it's still happening, but that's hardly a reason to get all excited. OTOH, if it stopped being irregular, that really WOULD be news.

I do not need, nor did I seek, your permission to get excited.

I never said you did. I was just surprised that you were so fascinated by a "no change" situation, although I can understand a news-starved journal repeating old news.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#144  Postby newolder » May 20, 2017 2:30 pm

DavidMcC wrote:... I was just surprised that you were so fascinated by a "no change" situation, although I can understand a news-starved journal repeating old news.

Your surprise is irrelevant and off topic.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby DavidMcC » May 20, 2017 2:32 pm

newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... I was just surprised that you were so fascinated by a "no change" situation, although I can understand a news-starved journal repeating old news.

Your surprise is irrelevant and off topic.

If you say so. :o
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#146  Postby DavidMcC » May 20, 2017 4:29 pm

DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#147  Postby newolder » May 22, 2017 7:59 am

Jason Wright (Penn. State) discusses the "exciting stuff" of the current dip...

Streamed live on 19 May 2017

Tabby's Star (aka the WTF Star, Boyajian's Star, the Most Mysterious Star in the Universe) is entering another of its irregular dips. Here at UC Berkeley SETI we're lucky to have Prof. Jason Wright visiting this week. Join him and Berkeley SETI Director Dr. Andrew Siemion at 11 Pacific for live updates. Tweet your questions @BerkeleySETI.

and an update from Prof. Tabby Boyajian posted yesterday...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#148  Postby DavidMcC » May 22, 2017 11:34 am

Ok, so maybe you should have said that it's doing something interesting and useful again (so that it can perhaps be better understood), rather than just still behaving strangely.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#149  Postby scott1328 » May 22, 2017 11:39 am

DavidMcC wrote:Ok, so maybe you should have said that it's doing something interesting and useful again (so that it can perhaps be better understood), rather than just still behaving strangely.

He did. :coffee:

newolder wrote:"Something weird is happening..." right now. :ahrr:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/d ... ture-star/
May 19, 2017
As far as weird stars go, few are as strange as KIC 8462852, nicknamed Tabby's star. Tabby's star randomly dims and brightens for apparently no reason, which led some astronomers in 2015 to hypothesize that some sort of 'alien megastructure' was orbiting the star, occasionally blocking the light. Other scientists proposed a large asteroid field or a swarm of comets instead, but we still don't really know what's going on.

All of that might be about to change. Early this morning, astronomers detected one of those characteristic dips that are unique to Tabby's star. All of the other dips that we know of are from historical observations, but this one is happening right now, which gives astronomers a chance to really figure out what's happening.

more at link.

:roll:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#150  Postby newolder » May 22, 2017 11:48 am

DavidMcC wrote:Ok, so maybe you should have said that it's doing something interesting and useful again (so that it can perhaps be better understood), rather than just still behaving strangely.

I did. I shall continue so to do...

Here's another update from an interested amateur (5-minutes-ish). The speculations are his own and he admits that some may be just a bit on the too wild side...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#151  Postby DavidMcC » May 22, 2017 12:05 pm

OK, so maybe KIC 8462852 simply has several very large planets (must be verging on brown dwarves), with their orbital plane edge on to the earth. :dunno:
Have they checked for wobble?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#152  Postby newolder » May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Radial Velocity Measurements

Radial velocity is the movement toward or away from an observer, and can be determined from looking at the spectrum of light coming from a star or galaxy. It is the same technique Edwin Hubble used in the early 20th century to show that the universe is expanding. The radial velocity can do couple of things for us:
Although no one thinks it's at all likely anyway, it can show that the star is not moving at ridiculously high velocities towards or way from us, which could have weird effects.

If Tabby's star has a large, dark companion that orbits closely, you would expect to see wobbles in the radial velocity.
The radial velocity measurements performed on Tabby's Star were not the most accurate possible (you need a bigger telescope and more time), but they were good enough to show that there is no large, dark companion close to Tabby's star, and that its movement through space is nothing extraordinary. We can't however, rule out a big dark companion object further away from the star, but it could not cause both sets of dips, since it would take it too long to orbit the star.

blogosphere source
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#153  Postby DavidMcC » May 22, 2017 12:47 pm

OK, so it's not that.
BTW, I never suggested that you should "leave the room". Unlike some, who regard this site as some kind of reality TV show, without the TV.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#154  Postby newolder » May 22, 2017 4:02 pm

This "event" seems to be over - data from Jason Wright of the earlier tube^ - but watchers will remain watchful and, hopefully, spectra will follow soon...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#155  Postby newolder » May 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Here's a paper from Ballesteros et al that includes a cool diagram of their model and its predictions for future days. Not yet published but submitted for review. A single large planet with ring system and associated 'Trojan' asteroids.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#156  Postby newolder » May 26, 2017 6:34 pm

... and another theory without aliens from Metzger and Stone...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#157  Postby scott1328 » May 28, 2017 7:33 pm

What is going on with the white patches around that guy's mouth and eyes?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#158  Postby newolder » May 28, 2017 7:45 pm

:dunno: maybe he's a clown that didn't de-make-up properly. :scratch:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#159  Postby tuco » May 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Vitiligo?

The thing about theories with aliens is that no predictions can be made in this direction while if it were aliens it would be super cool and super discovery.
tuco

Print view this post

#160  Postby newolder » Jun 16, 2017 10:33 pm

"Tabby" just tweeted that the star is shining 2% dimmer tonight and asks,"Who is observing?"

ETA
1st & 2nd tubes...

newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science