How can this possibly happen?

Facebook's DNS address cannot be found .. ???

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: How can this possibly happen?

#21  Postby VazScep » Jun 23, 2017 5:53 am

The best error code you can get is 418, which means "I am a teapot", and is sent in response to a request to brew coffee according to HTCPCP.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 23, 2017 6:14 am

VazScep wrote:The best error code you can get is 418, which means "I am a teapot", and is sent in response to a request to brew coffee according to HTCPCP.

This is an iOT concern, isn't it?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#23  Postby VazScep » Jun 23, 2017 7:25 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
VazScep wrote:The best error code you can get is 418, which means "I am a teapot", and is sent in response to a request to brew coffee according to HTCPCP.

This is an iOT concern, isn't it?
It dates from 1998, which is cool, and I probably lose geek cred for not having heard of it until recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Tex ... l_Protocol

And here's a conforming implementation: http://error418.net/

According to the RFC:

1. Rationale and Scope

There is coffee all over the world. Increasingly, in a world in which
computing is ubiquitous, the computists want to make coffee. Coffee
brewing is an art, but the distributed intelligence of the web-
connected world transcends art. Thus, there is a strong, dark, rich
requirement for a protocol designed espressoly for the brewing of
coffee. Coffee is brewed using coffee pots. Networked coffee pots
require a control protocol if they are to be controlled.

Increasingly, home and consumer devices are being connected to the
Internet. Early networking experiments demonstrated vending devices
connected to the Internet for status monitoring [COKE]. One of the
first remotely _operated_ machine to be hooked up to the Internet,
the Internet Toaster, (controlled via SNMP) was debuted in 1990
[RFC2235].

The demand for ubiquitous appliance connectivity that is causing the
consumption of the IPv4 address space. Consumers want remote control
of devices such as coffee pots so that they may wake up to freshly
brewed coffee, or cause coffee to be prepared at a precise time after
the completion of dinner preparations.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 23, 2017 7:35 am

I like that. Coffee brewing is an art. Sort of like long-distance target shooting.

1998? Yes, that makes sense. It reminds me of some of the jokes in the original Unix fortune package, mainly the Dave Barry stuff somebody collected. That guy is a riot.

http://www.jr.co.il/humor/read.txt
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#25  Postby crank » Jun 23, 2017 10:54 am

VazScep wrote:
crank wrote:I'd recommend not using your ISPs for various reasons.
Can I hear them?

What, you expect me to call you? [That is a snarky reply, sorry]

OK, one reason ISP DNS servers can be slower

It gives them that much more ability to monitor and control

They can block access to some URLs for whatever reasons

There's probably more but that's all that pops at the moment.

I really recommend everyone running DNSCheck, it's likely you'll find significant improvements in your DNS performance if you use the data from its tests.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#26  Postby crank » Jun 23, 2017 10:59 am

I snorted some HTCPCP years ago and I was sick for hours. It was awful.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#27  Postby crank » Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am

Cito di Pense wrote:I like that. Coffee brewing is an art. Sort of like long-distance target shooting.

1998? Yes, that makes sense. It reminds me of some of the jokes in the original Unix fortune package, mainly the Dave Barry stuff somebody collected. That guy is a riot.

http://www.jr.co.il/humor/read.txt

The Unsullied commander Grey Worm made a joke on the last GoT.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#28  Postby VazScep » Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

crank wrote:OK, one reason ISP DNS servers can be slower

It gives them that much more ability to monitor and control

They can block access to some URLs for whatever reasons

There's probably more but that's all that pops at the moment.

I really recommend everyone running DNSCheck, it's likely you'll find significant improvements in your DNS performance if you use the data from its tests.
Cheers. I'll probably get round to running my own at some point. That'll check all these points.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby jamest » Jun 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for the earlier explanations, Cali and VazS. I wish I could motivate myself to learn more about this computer-stuff malarkey, but it's never really been my cup of tea.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#30  Postby VazScep » Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:http://www.jr.co.il/humor/read.txt
Awesome.

Another guy to read is the computer scientist James Mickens, who writes hilarious papers for --- no joke --- Microsoft Research.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby VazScep » Jun 23, 2017 10:49 pm

jamest wrote:Thanks for the earlier explanations, Cali and VazS. I wish I could motivate myself to learn more about this computer-stuff malarkey, but it's never really been my cup of tea.
Would you like computer-staff malarkey here or there?
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby jamest » Jun 24, 2017 12:24 am

VazScep wrote:
jamest wrote:Thanks for the earlier explanations, Cali and VazS. I wish I could motivate myself to learn more about this computer-stuff malarkey, but it's never really been my cup of tea.
Would you like computer-staff malarkey here or there?

I don't really understand the question, squire. I mean, I'm curious about all things, but there seems to be a certain light in which my curiosity is mostly drawn, meaning that some avenues of knowledge are mostly devoid of cars. It's all about focus. I guess that in this diverse world of ours that some people might be be turned-on by machines, but my quest is to find the reality of being undermining this 'doing'. In fact, I've already found it, so don't bother informing anyone. They'll just inform you that I'm insane, albeit by calling me a troll and/or theist.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#33  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Some good treatments of this problem in this topic. DNS servers go down all the time. On my network for the moment, my gateway router is using my ISPs DNS servers. I haven't noted any instability yet. If I do, I usually swing over to OpenDNS. There are other commercial DNS servers that usually work well, too. 4.2.2.2, and 4.2.2.1 come to mind. I can't remember who owns them, but I found a neat article that covers their history.

Some ISPs block connections to other DNS servers that aren't their own, but I've never seen that.

I'd recommend going with either OpenDNS, or perhaps Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, if this instability continues.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby crank » Jun 24, 2017 10:38 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Some good treatments of this problem in this topic. DNS servers go down all the time. On my network for the moment, my gateway router is using my ISPs DNS servers. I haven't noted any instability yet. If I do, I usually swing over to OpenDNS. There are other commercial DNS servers that usually work well, too. 4.2.2.2, and 4.2.2.1 come to mind. I can't remember who owns them, but I found a neat article that covers their history.

Some ISPs block connections to other DNS servers that aren't their own, but I've never seen that.

I'd recommend going with either OpenDNS, or perhaps Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, if this instability continues.

4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 are other IPs of the 4.4.2.2 I mentioned earlier. They're always among the fastest when I've run tests.

Why wouldn't you just add the LevelOne IPs? If the first DNS server fails, your router will go to the next, and then the next, etc. It doesn't cause any delays to have multiple, independent servers. I use pfsense as my router/firewall, it runs it's own server, using the DNS sever IPs when it doesn't know the IP, basically it remembers where you've been. pfsense is amazing and highly recommended, you can run it on a virtual machine like virtualbox, but you will need dual NICs to use. I use a really old PC, it doesn't require much cpu oomph and it not only routes, but is really a firewall. And it's free. It's great for doing VPNs.

Addendum--I think most routers will send out DNS queries to all servers, and takes the first valid response to return. It a good strategy to get the best response.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion