Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Thread

Will you be in the path of totality? if so, where? Pics, etc.

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Thread

#1  Postby i have no avatar » Jun 22, 2017 3:25 am

Despite my (perhaps only self-perceived) lack of qualifications to start such a thread, I think that it is about time to do so, so here goes:

I live in Texas (yeah, yeah, I know, I know) and I am going to visit some old work/softball/golf/beer drinking buddies in Kansas City to see the eclipse (day trip to St. Joseph near the center line).

The only other total solar eclipse that I have seen was in 1991. My parents invited me to go to Mexico with them to see the almost 7 minutes of totality there but instead I chose to go to Hawaii to visit a former college roommate at his parents' house. The eclipse was beautiful, in and out of the clouds, and fairly low on the horizon, so obviously the observing conditions in Mexico were far better (but hey, it was Hawaii).

My home happens to be in the path of totality for the 2024 total solar eclipse so I can reciprocate the favor to my buddies in 7 years although to get close to the center line we will have to travel a little. We will probably elect to stay at my home and see the eclipse a bit off center though (unless weather forces us to try to move to a better viewing location).

Any eclipse chasers, or otherwise luckily placed observers in the path of totality for this year's eclipse out there? Is anybody so lucky that you don't have to travel much (or any) to see both total eclipses (2017 and 2024)?
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2017 Thread

#2  Postby tuco » Jun 22, 2017 4:00 am

Only in America ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jun 22, 2017 4:01 am

Lot of motorcycle trips planned around the event.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/north-carolina/

I've seen one in the 60s ...will wait and see what the weather brings. I'm a days ride from the path.

Amurika the star crossed ;)
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Jun 22, 2017 4:53 am

i have no avatar wrote:Despite my (perhaps only self-perceived) lack of qualifications to start such a thread, I think that it is about time to do so, so here goes:

I live in Texas (yeah, yeah, I know, I know) and I am going to visit some old work/softball/golf/beer drinking buddies in Kansas City to see the eclipse (day trip to St. Joseph near the center line).

The only other total solar eclipse that I have seen was in 1991. My parents invited me to go to Mexico with them to see the almost 7 minutes of totality there but instead I chose to go to Hawaii to visit a former college roommate at his parents' house. The eclipse was beautiful, in and out of the clouds, and fairly low on the horizon, so obviously the observing conditions in Mexico were far better (but hey, it was Hawaii).

My home happens to be in the path of totality for the 2024 total solar eclipse so I can reciprocate the favor to my buddies in 7 years although to get close to the center line we will have to travel a little. We will probably elect to stay at my home and see the eclipse a bit off center though (unless weather forces us to try to move to a better viewing location).

Any eclipse chasers, or otherwise luckily placed observers in the path of totality for this year's eclipse out there? Is anybody so lucky that you don't have to travel much (or any) to see both total eclipses (2017 and 2024)?

I'm not traveling for this one - but I also am on the edge of the totality path for 2024, and plan to travel about an hour to be dead center.

I think my mother is heading out West for this one, though ... maybe I can scam some pics off of her.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby i have no avatar » Jun 22, 2017 5:22 am

I probably should have included a link to the path of the eclipses. Here are my favorites:

2017:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

2024:
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby minininja » Jun 22, 2017 6:43 am

Cool video about watching the eclipse and particular things to watch our for:

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby i have no avatar » Jun 24, 2017 5:51 am

tuco wrote:Only in America ;)

Heh, heh, just like a few other things, right? :nono: :grin:

Macdoc wrote:Lot of motorcycle trips planned around the event.

...will wait and see what the weather brings. I'm a days ride from the path.

I certainly hope your skies and roads will be clear.

Also, excerpts from the link in your post:

"The highest point in these mountains is Clingman's Dome with an expansive vista.", and:
"If the crowds are manageable, a high unobstructed spot in these mountains may be an appealing venue to watch the eclipse. The reason is that from a high vantage, you'll also have the chance to see the surrounding landscape darken and brighten again as totality races across. But be sure to have a clear vantage unobstructed by trees."

I have always dreamed of seeing an eclipse from an isolated mountain with a flat plain below - high enough to see the moon's shadow hauling arse towards me (and away) across the plain. But I'm not sure exactly how noticeable this effect would be, nor how much it would apply in this case. In North Carolina the shadow will be moving at 1452 mph (wrt the rotating surface of the Earth of course - please see my reply to minininja below, and the attachment).

Weaver wrote:
I'm not traveling for this one - but I also am on the edge of the totality path for 2024, and plan to travel about an hour to be dead center.

Yes indeed. I actually came across one of your posts from May 2016 in my search to see if anyone had already started a thread on this eclipse.

Weaver wrote:
I think my mother is heading out West for this one, though ... maybe I can scam some pics off of her.

Please try to, and may her skies be clear also.

minininja wrote:Cool video about watching the eclipse and particular things to watch our for:

Very cool, thanks. While the links that I gave above won't talk to you, they do provide info similar to the app in the video, as you can see from the attachment which gives the eclipse statistics for a point (just click at the point of interest of course) in western North Carolina, close to the location of reference in the quote from Macdoc's post. For anyone using a mobile device, be sure to use two fingers to pan around.
Attachments
nc_solar_eclipse.JPG
nc_solar_eclipse.JPG (202.4 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chango369 » Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm

“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#9  Postby theropod » Jul 24, 2017 4:07 pm

My wife and I will be flying out to Sacramento, California where my son lives, renting a car and driving up to eastern Oregon. Somewhere between Madras and John Day we hope to find an out of the way place without a crowd. On the way back to Sacramento we are making a run over to see the redwoods. Ordered the Celestron eclipse viewing "glasses". My plan is to video 15-20 minutes each side of totality.

The 2024 eclipse will pass directly over our property here in north central Arkansas, but April is a wet month here and my obscure the event. We are actually dead center of the path of totality, so if it is clear we will be in for a treat.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby proudfootz » Aug 11, 2017 3:19 am

I am in Oregon, in the mid-Willamette Valley.

I'd be open to renting parking spots for tourists who come to see the show.

Obviously, free to RatSkep members.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 11, 2017 3:49 am

proudfootz wrote:I am in Oregon, in the mid-Willamette Valley.

Pity I didn't know that when I lived in Springfield until a little over a year ago.

Ever get to Centralia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby proudfootz » Aug 11, 2017 3:55 am

I've only ever been to Washington to get to Seattle for some shows. Never got to see the rest!
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby theropod » Aug 11, 2017 12:38 pm

proudfootz wrote:I am in Oregon, in the mid-Willamette Valley.

Nice!

My son and I have been reviewing our plans, and we may be observing in the Corvallis area. Much of this depends on the weather, traffic and wildfires on the dry side of the Cascades.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby proudfootz » Aug 11, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm just a few blocks from downtown. It's not much, but keeps me out of the rain.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm

I could do Corvallis.

The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby NamelessFaceless » Aug 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Can I ask a stupid question, like really stupid, that I should probably know but don't and it's probably because I didn't pay enough attention in science class and can't seem to google it in a way to get the answer for the question I'm actually looking for?

Ok, well, Imma do it anyway.

What will the paths of the sun and moon look like (at least in the US) the day after the eclipse? Would they be sort of close so that there might be some kind of overlap, albeit not a total one? :dopey:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Aug 11, 2017 11:24 pm

No
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby proudfootz » Aug 12, 2017 1:35 am

The_Metatron wrote:I could do Corvallis.

I'll save a space for you if you like - shoot me a pm for details.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby theropod » Aug 12, 2017 1:59 am

Sure would be nice to kick it with fellow rats. Looking more and more like that's were we will be.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby proudfootz » Aug 12, 2017 2:20 am

If parking in town is needed, I can hold a couple of spaces.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Astronomy & Space Science