Barcelona: Van rams crowds in Ramblas tourist area

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Barcelona: Van rams crowds in Ramblas tourist area

#21  Postby Fallible » Aug 18, 2017 7:22 am

:lol:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#22  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am

That Turkish restaurant took the wounded people inside and locked the doors, there was no terrorist they were waiting for the events calm down.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby tuco » Aug 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Tom's Hardware Italy's Bruno Gulotta Victim Of Barcelona Terrorist Attack - http://www.tomshardware.com/news/toms-h ... 35260.html
tuco

Print view this post

#24  Postby aban57 » Aug 20, 2017 11:37 am

Police found 120 gaz cylinders in a house linked to the terrorists. 120, ffs...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#25  Postby tuco » Aug 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... b-gdnworld
tuco

Print view this post

#26  Postby tuco » Aug 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Barcelona attack: Thousands of Muslims march against terrorism - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 09611.html
tuco

Print view this post

#27  Postby felltoearth » Aug 25, 2017 2:48 am

tuco wrote:Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... b-gdnworld

Actual question. Why is a child's death more remarkable than an adult?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby tuco » Aug 25, 2017 4:14 am

This I know exactly. Because humans are psychologically biased towards children.
tuco

Print view this post

#29  Postby laklak » Aug 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Not me, hate the little fuckers. Barely tolerated my own but they're OK now that they've grown up.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Macdoc » Aug 25, 2017 6:11 pm

I suspect it's "never had a chance to experience a life" ....I think the same applies to older people dying in an accident...they've had a life ....child's loss takes away a big chunk of the future for the family involved....an 80 year old..that future is shorter and could happen any time so people are somewhat prepared in their mindset....
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby tuco » Aug 25, 2017 6:29 pm

If a child dies at very young age, when being a baby, "loss" of those concerned is usually not as great as when they already have formed relationship with such child, when child is older. So this is primary - having relationship - while "having life ahead" is secondary. Either way, humans have psychological bias towards children, for obvious reasons.
tuco

Print view this post

#32  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 27, 2017 3:13 am

tuco wrote:If a child dies at very young age, when being a baby, "loss" of those concerned is usually not as great as when they already have formed relationship with such child, when child is older. So this is primary - having relationship - while "having life ahead" is secondary. Either way, humans have psychological bias towards children, for obvious reasons.

What the fuck, dude?

Have you ever had to bury one of your own kids?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby tuco » Aug 27, 2017 4:29 am

What do you mean what the fuck, do you dispute the claim? No but I carried dozens to morgue and that's what experts in the field told me. When for example children are born prematurely with very low chance to live, being placed in NICU, doctors do not recommend to parents to keep in touch with them exactly for the reason stated.
tuco

Print view this post

#34  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 27, 2017 7:36 am

I'd like to see some sort of citation for this bullshit Tuco.

Whilst it might seem to make sense to you to avoid becoming attached to a baby likely to die, I can't find a single thing to support what you say. NICU & SCBU procedures here encourage parental involvement, support parents massively and certainly do not advise them to not keep in touch.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#35  Postby tuco » Aug 27, 2017 8:13 am

I am not going to spend time and energy on what I stated was an anecdote. Take it or leave it for all I care.

I said .. with very low chance to live .. and given very low child mortality in developed healthcare systems such cases are quite rare. Why would forming bond be encouraged in almost hopeless situation especially since some very preterm babies show bonding difficulties due to neurological impairments?

Either way, it was just a side note. The point was: If a child dies at very young age, when being a baby, "loss" of those concerned is usually not as great as when they already have formed relationship with such child, when child is older. Shall I spend time and energy on showing you citation for this too? Be gone, this is off topic anyway.
tuco

Print view this post

#36  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 27, 2017 8:23 am

Be gone? You posted bollocks and I'm calling you out on it. Go on, demonstrate your point with a citation if you can.

Quite how you're going to demonstrate a baby's loss is somehow less of one than of an older child will be interesting to see. Perhaps, in a logical way it ought not to, I get the idea but in issues such as emotional bonds, logic doesn't always win out. Children dying is not the natural order of things we're generally geared up for. We're child rearing mammals, it's in our nature to nurture them to independence and to expect our elders to die first. A child dying, particularly in infancy is a devastating loss to parents and I see no meaningful way of attributing some form of value to the loss felt in order to support your assertion. But, go on blow me away with a citation to support what you say.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#37  Postby tuco » Aug 27, 2017 8:48 am

lol I'd be more interested for proof of content of your freezer.
tuco

Print view this post

#38  Postby monkeyboy » Aug 27, 2017 10:54 am

So you can't back it up then. Thought so. Going even more off topic doesn't make it less bullshit.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 27, 2017 1:04 pm

monkeyboy wrote:not the natural order of things we're generally geared up for. We're child rearing mammals, it's in our nature to nurture them to independence and to expect our elders to die first....

Where do you get this stuff? Humanae Vitae? What does it mean to be 'geared up for' whatever it is? Is this some kind of scientific term? If you're going to call somebody out on what you consider some bullshit, don't start by making the pile higher than it was before with wording used by some (ugh) authority figure somewhere. Don't ask somebody for citations if you're only going to be regurgitating sound bytes from the popular press or papal encyclicals.

I hope you don't believe you were actually making a biological observation with "we're child-rearing mammals" if the reason that we are child-rearing mammals is that it takes young humans at least 8 or 10 years to be able to contribute to the well-being of the clan of the cave bear. You've got yourself a chicken-egg problem there, @monkeyboy.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#40  Postby I'm With Stupid » Aug 27, 2017 1:19 pm

felltoearth wrote:
tuco wrote:Julian Cadman, seven, confirmed as among 13 killed in Barcelona attack - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... b-gdnworld

Is it? As I understand it, nobody knew where he was for a few days, so when it turned out he was amongst the dead, he got his own news story. He also got his own news story, because he's British and it's a British newspaper.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs