Stanfords new definition of atheism

Still bullshit

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Stanfords new definition of atheism

#301  Postby Fallible » Aug 20, 2017 7:35 am

Unfortunately I think Olivier was right about this.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#302  Postby VazScep » Aug 20, 2017 9:47 am

The etymology of "proposition" interests me, but I think I'd need Tracer Tong to help me out with it. The standard translation of Euclid's Elements uses the word "proposition" as mathematicians would nowadays use the word "theorem." But in many cases, what Euclid is proposing is something he can do.

There's this view of logic that any time you say that something exists, you better cough up an example, and if you say something does not exist, you better cough up the contradiction. It's a logic of deeds rather than than wishful thinkings.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#303  Postby VazScep » Aug 20, 2017 9:53 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
tuco wrote:Let me just note that babies and rocks are not capable of confirming nor negating a proposition.

I never really got the whole babies/rock comparison. Rocks cannot, in any capacity, have anything like beliefs or propositions. My baby, on the other hand, believes and disbelieves all sorts of things. Simplistic perhaps, but in terms of capability there is no comparison.
Calling a rock an atheist might be a category error. Category errors are type errors, and programmers are extremely divided on what should and should not be a type error. A Lisp programmer might be happy to say that rocks are atheists. A Haskell programmer would say that if someone finds themselves wondering whether rocks are atheists, there's probably a bug somewhere, and such things should be chucked out immediately as errors in grammar.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#304  Postby laklak » Aug 20, 2017 2:10 pm

DIM rock
DIM rock AS variant.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#305  Postby VazScep » Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm

laklak wrote:DIM rock
DIM rock AS variant.
I think I sense Visual Basic?
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#306  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Yep. Variant was the biggest variable but when memory became so large who worried about a bit of ten.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#307  Postby laklak » Aug 21, 2017 2:53 am

VazScep wrote:
DIM rock AS variant.

Yep. Gave up programming just after .NET
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#308  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 21, 2017 8:07 am

laklak wrote:
VazScep wrote:
DIM rock AS variant.

Yep. Gave up programming just after .NET

You did have to DIM a variant as it was the default. Mind you I never agreed with default programming. We were of the same time lak as that was when I stopped as well. Visual Studio turned everything on its head. You could not even migrate VB6 programmes to Visual Studio. I managed to move into traffic micro-simulation and programming traffic lights for the last couple of years.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#309  Postby Tracer Tong » Aug 27, 2017 2:21 pm

scott1328 wrote:a-theos means "without God"

It's not quite as straightforward as that, though. In fact, that seems to be a christianised meaning of a term that long predates the religion.

VazScep wrote:The etymology of "proposition" interests me, but I think I'd need Tracer Tong to help me out with it. The standard translation of Euclid's Elements uses the word "proposition" as mathematicians would nowadays use the word "theorem." But in many cases, what Euclid is proposing is something he can do.

Do you have an example of where Euclid is translated like this? I can have a look at the text to see what term he uses.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#310  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:

It's not quite as straightforward as that, though.

Except that it is, linguistically speaking.
The prefix a- tends to denote an absence of something, in this case theos or theism.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#311  Postby Tracer Tong » Aug 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Given recent discussions between the two of us and a review of your posting history on this site, I've decided to stop further attempts to have a productive dicussion with you.
Do with that what you will, I am just informing you, so you know what to expect.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#312  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Someone seems to fail to understand that pointing out falsehoods and/or flaws in someone else's post =/= having a productive discussion with said person.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#313  Postby Tracer Tong » Aug 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Oh, so you want to try to correct my posts, but not engage in productive discussion when doing so. OK, I guess.

In that case: except it isn't, linguistically speaking, alpha privative understood.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#314  Postby scott1328 » Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:

It's not quite as straightforward as that, though. In fact, that seems to be a christianised meaning of a term that long predates the religion.

VazScep wrote:The etymology of "proposition" interests me, but I think I'd need Tracer Tong to help me out with it. The standard translation of Euclid's Elements uses the word "proposition" as mathematicians would nowadays use the word "theorem." But in many cases, what Euclid is proposing is something he can do.

Do you have an example of where Euclid is translated like this? I can have a look at the text to see what term he uses.

Of course words can gain an idiomatic meaning beyond the simple definitions of their roots. But other languages that adopt such words don't necessarily adopt the linguistic baggage. English, mostly through academia, has adopted not only words, stems and affixes from Latin and Greek, but also methods of composing those words and stems affixes into words that would puzzle native speakers of those languages. The prefix a- in English means "no, not, or without" and is affixed to words without regard to their origin or etymology, I.e. amoral, achromatic, atonal.

what was adopted into English? Was it the word "atheos" and its derivatives as the Greeks and Romans used it: a pejorative for the early Christians? Or, was it coined from its root words into English? I suspect something close to the original meaning was adopted but linguistic reanalysis has introduced a shifted meaning and the current dispute.

Descriptive grammarians would document how the word is used. Both by those who apply the term to themselves and those who apply it to others. Suffice to say the term has multiple conflicting definitions and tends to stop conversations in quibbles over semantics.

Non belief is more useful when one hopes to avoid these quibbles.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#315  Postby Tracer Tong » Aug 27, 2017 3:49 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:

Of course words can gain an idiomatic meaning beyond the simple definitions of their roots. But other languages that adopt such words don't necessarily adopt the linguistic baggage. English, mostly through academia, has adopted not only words, stems and affixes from Latin and Greek, but also methods of composing those words and stems affixes into words that would puzzle native speakers of those languages. The prefix a- in English means "no, not, or without" and is affixed to words without regard to their origin or etymology, I.e. amoral, achromatic, atonal.

what was adopted into English? Was it the word "atheos" and its derivatives as the Greeks and Romans used it: a pejorative for the early Christians? Or, was it coined from its root words into English? I suspect something close to the original meaning was adopted but linguistic reanalysis has introduced a shifted meaning and the current dispute.

Descriptive grammarians would document how the word is used. Both by those who apply the term to themselves and those who apply it to others. Suffice to say the term has multiple conflicting definitions and tends to stop conversations in quibbles over semantics.

I'm grateful to see that you recognise usage of atheos is more complicated than your initial post implied. I suppose the wider point is that citing the Greek term standing behind our word "atheism" is probably not helpful, given the fact, for example, that the former is used of theists and frequently as a term of moral evaluation, with no corresponding doxastic sense.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#316  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Tracer Tong wrote:Oh, so you want to try to correct my posts, but not engage in productive discussion when doing so. OK, I guess.[http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/downloads/0534553389_46568.pdf

I would love to engage in a productive discussion with you, but given your incessant condescension, failure to adress or defend points and general unwillingness to adress the point rather than the poster, I see no reason to waste more time on trying to have one with you.

Tracer Tong wrote:
In that case: except it isn't, linguistically speaking, alpha privative understood.

Ah, blindly asserting your initial blind assertion, always a strong argument, especially when it fails to adress the point being made.

http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/downloads/0534553389_46568.pdf
http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/downloads/0534553389_46568.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_privative

Alpha privative
An alpha privative or, rarely,[1] privative a (from Latin alpha prīvātīvum, from Ancient Greek α στερητικόν) is the prefix a- or an- (before vowels) that is used in Greek and in English words borrowed from Greek to express negation or absence, for example atypical, anesthetic, and analgesic.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#317  Postby Teuton » Aug 27, 2017 5:36 pm

VazScep wrote:Calling a rock an atheist might be a category error.

Isn't it understood that atheists are people/persons, that an atheist is somebody who… and not something which…?
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#318  Postby Teuton » Aug 27, 2017 5:40 pm

A very important point:

Appeals to the etymological meaning of a word are not semantically decisive!

"What I am referring to as the etymological fallacy is the assumption that the original form or meaning of a word is, necessarily and by virtue of that very fact, its correct form or meaning. This assumption is widely held. How often do we meet the argument that because such and such a word comes from Greek, Latin, Arabic, or whatever language it might be in the particular instance, the correct meaning of the word must be what it was in the language of origin! The argument is fallacious, because the tacit assumption of an originally true or appropriate correspondence between form and meaning, upon which the argument rests, cannot be substantiated."

(Lyons, John. Language and Linguistics: An Introduction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1981. p. 55)
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#319  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Teuton wrote:
VazScep wrote:Calling a rock an atheist might be a category error.

Isn't it understood that atheists are people/persons, that an atheist is somebody who… and not something which…?

Not to people who are determined to make atheism into an intellectual, rather than default position.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#320  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm

scott1328 wrote:

Agreed, however theists and atheists (Scot being a resident example) will still interpet that to mean the believe in non existence.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism