US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty...

...to target LGBTQ people

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty...

#1  Postby Animavore » Oct 03, 2017 8:50 pm

The United Nations approved a resolution Friday condemning the use of the death penalty in a discriminatory fashion, including its use to punish “apostasy, blasphemy, adultery, and consensual same-sex relations.” But the United States joined a minority of states who voted against it.

ILGA, the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association, highlighted the outcome of the vote. Executive director Renato Sabbadini noted in a statement how atrocious some countries’ anti-gay laws are, saying, “It is unconscionable to think that there are hundreds of millions of people living in States where somebody may be executed simply because of whom they love.”

Four countries punish homosexuality with death (Iran, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen), as do certain provinces in Nigeria and Somalia and ISIS-controlled territories in northern Iraq and northern Syria. The nations of Afghanistan, Mauritania, Pakistan, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates also permit the death penalty, but rarely enforce it.

Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE were among the 13 countries that joined the United States in rejecting the resolution, which was introduced by Belgium, Benin, Costa Rica, France, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, and Switzerland. A total of 27 countries supported it.

https://thinkprogress.org/united-nation ... 6a5101ec9/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty...

#2  Postby Tracer Tong » Oct 03, 2017 8:52 pm

To keep Saudi Arabia happy, I expect.
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

US votes against UN resolution

#3  Postby aban57 » Oct 03, 2017 8:57 pm

From here:

A United Nations resolution banning the death penalty for homosexuality was opposed by a total of 13 countries in the U.N. Human Rights Council. While several were in Africa and the Middle East, the U.S. surprisingly voted against the measure, as well.

The resolution doesn’t call for the end to capital punishment altogether, but asks member nations not to use it in a “discriminatory manner”—including against against minors and pregnant women, or for blasphemy and consensual same-sex relations.

The other countries who voted against the resolution were Bangladesh, Botswana, Burundi, China, Japan, Qatar, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Iraq, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia (which currently has the death penalty for sodomy).

Not exactly good company.

So while the baboon was talking about love, his administration was voting for this.

And the comments are entertaining also :

There should be a death penalty for disrespecting our US President and our country! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE USA, MOVE to another country.
See how long you'll last there. You better be thankful this is a free country.

Funny how the same arguments are used in different countries. My younger brother told me pretty much the same thing, that criticizing Marine Le Pen was proof that I didn't love my country, so I should stay in Belgium.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: US votes against UN resolution

#4  Postby Animavore » Oct 03, 2017 9:02 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: US votes against UN resolution

#5  Postby aban57 » Oct 03, 2017 9:12 pm

damn, you beat me up by 7 mn ! :lol:
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: US rejects UN resolution condemning use of death penalty...

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Maybe its part of Trumps "not telling other countries what to do whilst telling them what to do" strategy?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs