Climate Change Denial

Denial, and discussion about denial, go here

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Climate Change Denial

#5161  Postby ElDiablo » Aug 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Animavore wrote:
...The discrepancy, the researchers said, was staggering. About 80 percent of Exxon Mobil’s research and internal memos acknowledged that climate change was real and caused by humans. However, 80 percent of the company’s newspaper ads regarding climate change questioned this fact, the study found.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/exx ... mg00000063

And that's the type of shit you can't sweep under no rug.

I put this up on my FB page, surprisingly none of my anti-AGW friends had anything to say.
When the former Weather Channel owner or some shill for the Heartland Institute says something, they're all ga ga over that.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5162  Postby Animavore » Oct 03, 2017 10:36 am

I saw this story in the usual right-wing mags a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post it. Here's a thorough debunking of it anyway.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5163  Postby ElDiablo » Oct 03, 2017 11:55 pm

Animavore wrote:I saw this story in the usual right-wing mags a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post it. Here's a thorough debunking of it anyway.

It's amazing how willfully ignorant deniers are. I read the intro to the study and it's plain even with that little info the deniers were talking out of their ass.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5164  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2017 12:45 am

I read the headline, saw it was The Telegraph, and knew they were talking out their arse. The Guardian published it correctly that day.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5165  Postby Macdoc » Oct 04, 2017 5:12 am

At this point in time it is wilful, self serving ignorance.
As with Exxon ...inexcusable.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5166  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 10, 2017 10:26 am

Macdoc wrote:At this point in time it is wilful, self serving ignorance.
As with Exxon ...inexcusable.

Climate change denial (or recognition) is not just a thought-experiment. How must one conduct oneself having recognized that global climate change is happening? Is there anything to be done by individuals, or is this strictly a dish on corporations, leaving individuals free to do their globe-trotting free of any guilt that they might be contributing a signal? What sorts of corporations exist to facilitate individual acts of globe-trotting? I don't give a shit about purchasing carbon credits, an elitist ploy.

It might be that scamming on individuals to elicit guilt over contributing a climate change signal is aimed more at reducing the demand for globe-trotting, and hence the price, which might make up a little for buying carbon credits. I know how it goes in anonymous unvetted internet forurms where you can occasionally meet some of the direst assholes ever to trot the face of the globe.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#5167  Postby Macdoc » Oct 10, 2017 11:03 pm

What sorts of corporations exist to facilitate individual acts of globe-trotting? I don't give a shit about purchasing carbon credits, an elitist ploy.

Your problem ....they exist - they help ...if it's carbon neutral or even better slightly more than ......then it's a good thing.

Everyone can contribute .....reducing a carbon footprint is not all that difficult without shivering in the dark. Easy things like passing on asparagus grown in China or Peru.....for local veg.
Smart thermostat if you are fossil fuel powered/heated ( something I don't worry about here in Ontario )
Take transit, buy an EV or at least a hybrid.
Get an energy audit if fossil heating..cooling is involved.....
Drink tap water etc etc
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5168  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2017 5:08 am

Whoosh.

I was thinking a good way to get closer to being carbon neutral is to spend less time on long-haul airline flights and cruise ships, which I manage quite nicely. See? That was easy. All the other stuff, I do anyway, and have done for decades, but let's not go deeper into the holier-than-thou shit. We'll just end up smelling like shit.

This thread is about climate change denial, which I pointed out is not just a thought experiment, but a fucking way of life.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking