'Hundreds hurt' as police try to stop voters

Catalan independance referendum (non-legal)

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Hundreds hurt' as police try to stop voters

#101  Postby aban57 » Oct 06, 2017 11:40 am

The Spanish government cancelled the parliament session planned on Monday, in order to prevent Catalonia to declare their independence there. How long can they keep up with this tactic ?
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby ronmcd » Oct 21, 2017 8:54 pm

I dunno. Don't know if it's just me, but I suspect Rajoy's govt may be playing more fast and loose with the constitution than the Catalan government ever were.

Catalonia crisis escalates as Spain set to impose direct rule within days

Spain was plunged into political crisis on Saturday after the prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, announced that he is stripping Catalonia of its autonomy and imposing direct rule from Madrid in a bid to crush the regional leadership’s move to secede.

The decision, which prompted anger across Catalonia, has escalated Spain’s deepest constitutional crisis since the restoration of democracy in 1977. Observers say the move could resurrect the spectre of Basque nationalism, and have repercussions across a Europe facing the rise of separatist movements.

Following an emergency cabinet meeting on Saturday morning, Rajoy said he was invoking article 155 of the constitution to “restore the rule of law, coexistence and the economic recovery and to ensure that elections could be held in normal circumstances”.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Tracer Tong » Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm not surprised they've gone down this route (I seem to remember raising the possibility a few weeks ago). I'm not sure how it's playing fast and loose with the constitution at all, much less how it's doing so more than the Catalan government.

In any case, a salutary lesson to the more rabid Scottish nationalists. Though it's worth pointing out that devolution could more easily be revoked.
Last edited by Tracer Tong on Oct 21, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Tracer Tong » Oct 21, 2017 11:41 pm

I wouldn't be so solipsistic about it.
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous