Upcoming movies you're anticipating

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Upcoming movies you're anticipating

#2041  Postby aban57 » Oct 02, 2017 7:51 am

Macdoc wrote:Nice ...after you watch it - will tell you an interesting tidbit.

Which version ?? Directrs cut?

Still waiting :lol:
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2042  Postby Macdoc » Oct 02, 2017 8:34 am

There is no CG - was done entirely with models.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2043  Postby aban57 » Oct 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Macdoc wrote:There is no CG - was done entirely with models.

Impressive.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#2044  Postby Mike_L » Oct 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Macdoc wrote:There is no CG - was done entirely with models.

:thumbup:

They were big...

There were also some matte paintings...

Beautiful artistry. :nod:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#2045  Postby Animavore » Oct 06, 2017 5:00 pm

This keeps showing up in the cinema.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2046  Postby Mike_L » Oct 10, 2017 7:42 am

New trailer...

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#2047  Postby Mike_L » Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am

New trailer for Justice League...
My already-low enthusiasm for this one has waned even further. Super-team has to ward off invasion by flying alien-things?
I mean, shit, that's just DC going back to 2012 and redoing the first of Marvel's Avengers movies.
:roll:

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2048  Postby Animavore » Oct 19, 2017 5:18 pm

The new Thor is reviewing like it's a parody. Not a bad thing.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2049  Postby Macdoc » Oct 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Round Two on Blade Runner on an even bigger iMax :smoke:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2050  Postby Seabass » Oct 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Macdoc wrote:Round Two on Blade Runner on an even bigger iMax :smoke:

Have you tried a Dolby Cinema theater yet? I think Dolby Cinema has been out for a couple years, but I didn't get around to trying it until BR2049. I think I'd have to say that Dolby Cinema beats Imax **DIGITAL.

The screens are big, probably on par with your typical Imax screen. Same aspect ratio as Imax.

The chairs are comfy as hell and they also recline and vibrate. I can do without the vibration personally, but some people are into that sort of thing. The reclining is definitely a plus.

Dolby Atmos from over 100 speakers. The sound quality is great and the positioning is crazy, at least as good as Imax if not better. I'd have to see the same movie in both Imax and Dolby to really say which one is better, but my initial feeling is that Dolby Cinema wins.

Perhaps best of all is the high contrast 4k picture (Imax is 2k). The picture is sharp as hell, but the extra contrast is what really makes the difference. The contrast is immediately noticeable. The blacks are blacker and the whites are whiter and it makes for a more vibrant picture.

3D isn't available in Dolby Cinema theaters, but I don't much care for 3D so it's not much of a downside for me.

**ETA: After a little googling, I've found that the Imax that I'm used to is actually "Digital Imax". Digital Imax is unaffectionately referred to as "LieMax" by cinemaphiles. True Imax is still analog, and apparently looks spectacular. I'd have to drive to Los Angeles to see true Imax. Fuck that noise.

Anyway, if your choices are between Digital Imax and Dolby Cinema, give Dolby Cinema a try.

ETA2: Evidently, there is now something called Digital Imax Laser, which might look better than true Imax? Fuck me, I can't keep up with this shit.

ETA3: So this site keeps a database of exactly which type of Imax is used at various locations.
http://www.lfexaminer.com/theausa.htm
http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaintl.htm
They give a brief description of different Imax formats here:
http://www.lfexaminer.com/formats.htm
So I guess Imax Laser is king of them all...

ETA4: So apparently, true Imax screens are typically around 80ft wide. Fuck me, that's big. The biggest screen in San Diego is 56ft. The famous Mann Chinese Theater in LA is 94ft. I've been there a couple times, and although it's been a few years, I remember that thing being fucking ginormous.
Of course, my wife doesn't give a shit about any of this stuff, so we usually just end up going to whatever's close. I think it might be time for me to start looking for other options that are better than the local multiplex...
Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé.
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway...

“In the meantime, rest well and dream of large women.”
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2051  Postby willhud9 » Oct 20, 2017 4:54 am

Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2052  Postby Macdoc » Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm

The Mississauga iMax is one designated as 70mm ( for Dunkirk ) and FOV is superb. Do not think it is Laser iMax as yet.
I've never found fault with iMax sound systems so that's a bit moot. High dynamic range for colour tho is important.
SInce Nolan shot Dunkirk in 2k 70 mm what is the point of 4k in that case.

Blade Runner 2049 tho was shot in 4K ....that would be worth finding a venue and would likely be enhanced by the Laser version tho the iMax projectors are incredibly bright anyway.....I suspect Laser iMax may be a cost reducing move to provide "near iMax" experience in a smaller venue as we had in London on opening day.

Reflecting on the two experiences ...the one last night in a big iMax ( one of two 70mm capable in Canada ) was the better one.

I do have a thing for 70 mm having seen Close Encounters in 70 mm on opening day and being astounded. When that mother ship appeared over Devils Tower there was collective gasp.
I generally will only go to the iMax theatres for movies as I want the impact. Having one 5 minutes drive away is a treat. :popcorn:

Otherwise watching most movies near field on a Retina or 4k screen with quality headphones is just fine and engaging and I can get the FOV as I like.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2053  Postby Sendraks » Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Mike_L wrote:
My already-low enthusiasm for this one has waned even further. Super-team has to ward off invasion by flying alien-things?

You mean the Parademons? Darkseid's shock troops from the comics?

Their presence in the trailer got me both excited and nervous because, as keen as I am to see Darkseid in a movie, I'm worried they'll fuck him up as Apocalypse was in X-Men.

I'm still curious as to who the big hitter is they're bringing in at the end of the trailer to help take Darkseid on (because the J-League assembled for the movie isn't a match for him). Is it Superman returned? Or it is another big hitter from the DC(U)? Both of those are problematic in their own way.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#2054  Postby Mike_L » Oct 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

You mean the Parademons? Darkseid's shock troops from the comics?

Their presence in the trailer got me both excited and nervous because, as keen as I am to see Darkseid in a movie, I'm worried they'll fuck him up as Apocalypse was in X-Men.

Yep, I'd have preferred that they go with another super-villain... perhaps Brainiac. Could've done something a bit different with him. But with Darkseid... alas, the trailer suggests something akin to a DC retooling of Avengers 2012. (Basically, just more of this).
I'm still curious as to who the big hitter is they're bringing in at the end of the trailer to help take Darkseid on (because the J-League assembled for the movie isn't a match for him). Is it Superman returned? Or it is another big hitter from the DC(U)? Both of those are problematic in their own way.

If I were betting, I'd place my money on "Superman returned". I suppose they could bring in Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter. But they'll probably keep GL on ice for a while, allowing some time for memories of the 2011 misfire to fade a bit. And it's probably too soon to bring in MM. Nope, I think it'll be Superman resurrected. Could be pleasantly surprised though!
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#2055  Postby Animavore » Oct 24, 2017 12:21 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2057  Postby The_Piper » Oct 24, 2017 1:27 am

:lol: :eager:
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2058  Postby Animavore » Oct 24, 2017 1:33 am

I posted that 2 pages ago where it got buried. :snooty:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2059  Postby Tinker Grey » Oct 24, 2017 2:43 am

Ah well. I am new to the thread and wasn't going to go through everything. We'll just say "great minds think alike."

I've liked everything this director has done. And how could you go wrong with Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Frances McDormand, and Zeljko Ivanek.
Tinker Grey

Print view this post

#2060  Postby Animavore » Oct 24, 2017 8:32 am

Off to see Thor in half an hour.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext