Home Improvement Discussion

Stuff around the house/flat/apartment/condo/etc.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Home Improvement Discussion

#241  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 06, 2017 6:41 pm

OlivierK wrote:
laklak wrote:I just finished my work space, garage is finally done. Tools hanging on pegboard and all that cool stuff. I would post pictures but I've already messed it up with another project, building a new cradle for the dinghy. When that is finished I will consider a trebuchet, or maybe a ballista just to be different. I don't follow the crowd, you know.

Today, the first question my 12-year-old asked on coming home from school was "Could I have that spare piece of wood from [his sister]'s science project?", said spare piece of wood being a four foot long piece of half inch by half inch pine, the rest of which had been used to frame a poster.

Not long after, there was the sound of bursting balloons, as he'd used the pine and a hot glue gun to frame up a small ballista using a half-round of bamboo used as a launch chute for kebab skewers propelled by a party balloon driven catapult. From 2 metres, it could put a bamboo skewer through a cardboard box, and from five metres had the accuracy to take out inflated ballons. He and his younger brother even managed to embed one bamboo skewer into solid timber.

If we ever built a decent sized one, our property would make an excellent firing range (we're on top of a small hill with open land for 300m down to a river, and nobody on the other side).

Unless the neighbour's cattle decided to wander across the river flats.

Maybe we need to build an equally large rotisserie setup over a campfire to go with the ballista. Mmmmm, fresh steak!

Clever boy.

I once made a ballista that would throw softballs. It tore itself apart. A standard wooden pallet isn’t a big enough base.
My new website is up. Who wants to be a contributor?

I AM Skepdickus!

https://www.skepdick.us/blog/
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#242  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 06, 2017 7:27 pm

However, my water heater replacement is done, as far as the water segment of the system goes.

You know, when a project is over, you tend to remember the problems, but forget the successes. I soldered fourteen 3/4 inch copper pipe joints without a leak. Nothing broke during the project. I got one minor cut on my index finger. Every hole I had to bore (three through the exterior wall, one through the floor) was successful, hitting no obstacles on the way through or damaging anything I wanted undamaged. The location of the floor drain hole was, by dumb luck, about thirty centimeters directly on the other side of one of the vented cement foundation blocks through which are already routed the refrigerant and condensate lines for my HVAC system. One more floor drain line coming through it wouldn’t matter. Primus’ arm was small enough to reach through the block and glue the first elbow onto that drain line, which is solely for the drain pan I had to install under the water heater. From there, I was able to complete it from outside the wall. Had that drain location been out of Primus’ reach, it would have been an expedition crawling under half my house. Dumb good luck, I guess.

Finally, the building inspector from the city came by yesterday and inspected my work. No discrepancies. I have to correct nothing. My building project with the city is closed.

I haven’t made the holes in the outside wall for air ducting to the heat pump atop the water heater. It’s gobbling up all of the 700 watts of waste heat that freezer sharing the mechanical room can give it, and it keeps going, cooling that room up to 9 degrees F per heating cycle. I better get to that ducting.

New shit to learn.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#243  Postby jamest » Oct 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Have you ever considered becoming a handyman for a living? I mean, you seem to have a lot of skills in terms of fixing things and seem to really enjoy it. Just a thought.
They came, they saw, they concurred.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#244  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 06, 2017 8:10 pm

I wouldn’t be able to do this sort of work for hire. But, I can do what I like to my own home. It just needs to be to code. Besides, doing things properly at my own place after some of the cheap ass shit these builders did is maddening enough.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#245  Postby laklak » Oct 07, 2017 1:21 pm

That's a good thought, Jesse. We've got those new computerized wifi (or something) type meters that they don't have to come out and read, I'll call FLorida Power and see if they do have an automatic disconnect. Shouldn't be hard to do (assuming they thought of it), they can turn the power on and off from their offices without coming out to the property.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#246  Postby The_Piper » Oct 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Back in July when I had the Amish people side my house, they had someone who drives deliver their trailer with tools and staging. Whoever chocked the wheels, did it on the uphill side. :lol: :lol: :lol: I've never seen that mistake before. Kinda bizarre.
ImageWrongly chocked wheels by thepiper351, on Flickr
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby The_Piper » Oct 07, 2017 4:40 pm

My old shed I put the roofing onto. I've since roofing tarred the nails and bottom seams.
ImageOld Shed roof work by thepiper351, on Flickr
It's pitched forward on the top, while the bottom remains in place, buried. I put 4 beams to hold it up.
It's split in the middle, with the back half of the building not moving much.
I ran out of rolled roofing and used some rectangular shingles that were in the shed when I moved here. I didn't buy any flashing, but used that piece of metal, and some plastic wall stuf meant for a bathroom I think. I bought a bunch of that for...25 cents.
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Amazing Fletch :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion