Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#121  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 06, 2017 5:21 pm

The above several posts show how a poor posting attitude can divert a thread. It all started with needless insults from theropod, backed up by the pack.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#122  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 06, 2017 5:53 pm

DavidMcC wrote:The above several posts show how a poor posting attitude can divert a thread. It all started with needless insults from theropod, backed up by the pack.

The above shows how David engages in increasingly asinine conspiracy theories that are nowhere near to what actually happened in the thread he's talking about.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#123  Postby theropod » Oct 07, 2017 1:30 am

DavidMcC wrote:The above several posts show how a poor posting attitude can divert a thread. It all started with needless insults from theropod, backed up by the pack.


Did you report my post(s) containing these insults? If not I suggest you do so.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
User avatar
theropod
RS Donator
 
Name: Roger
Posts: 6931
Age: 63
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#124  Postby Zadocfish2 » Oct 07, 2017 6:44 am

Dude... Theropod re-railed the thread in response to my comment, then Calli re-railed again with his usual detailed explanation...

C'mon, DavidCMC, Fallible, and Thomas Eshuis, let's all shake metaphorical hands and let bygones be bygones?
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
User avatar
Zadocfish2
 
Name: Justin
Posts: 607
Age: 26
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#125  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2017 7:01 am

Eh? I've got no issue with you, Mr Fish, although I find some of what you say silly. Not all, I've seen you say some interesting stuff too. Mr McC is a bit different, as he goes similarly off piste in pretty much every thread he graces with his presence, and the fantasy motives he creates for his interlocutors are usually pulled directly from his balloon knot and are therefore expectedly shitty and unpleasant. It's another one of those situations where one is left to wonder whether this is deliberate, or beyond his control. I would have kept quiet, only he's interfering with my enjoyment of the thread.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 43958
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#126  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am

Zadocfish2 wrote:Dude... Theropod re-railed the thread in response to my comment,

That would mean you derailed the thread.

Zadocfish2 wrote: then Calli re-railed again with his usual detailed explanation...

There's nothing derailing about providing a detailed and rigourous explanation.

Zadocfish2 wrote:C'mon, DavidCMC, Fallible, and Thomas Eshuis, let's all shake metaphorical hands and let bygones be bygones?

The only one in this thread accusing members of all manner of nefarious motives and deeds is David.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#127  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 07, 2017 10:19 am

It has occurred to me that my spat with RS was due to the fact that he (and some others) took the meaning of retrovirus to be ENDOGENOUS retrovirus (ERV) and sometimrs even Human ERV (HERV). I was thinking more generally of retroviruses. That's all.
All the confrontational stuff is now irrelevant.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#128  Postby Zadocfish2 » Oct 07, 2017 5:58 pm

To Thomas... for clarity, I said RE-railed, not DE-railed. The argument broke out, then I said something (kinda) relevant, Theropod said something relevant in response, then the argument broke out again, then Calli made his relevant detailed explanation; I was listing the times we started the thread back on track, not the other way around.

But yeah, the confrontational stuff is irrelevant now. Reading up on it, apparently we're starting to use retroviruses in gene-editing processes as well as using traces as a tracking tool?
User formerly known as Falconjudge.

I am a Christian.
User avatar
Zadocfish2
 
Name: Justin
Posts: 607
Age: 26
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#129  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Zadocfish2 wrote:To Thomas... for clarity, I said RE-railed, not DE-railed.

Correct, I misread that the first time around, my apologies.

Zadocfish2 wrote: The argument broke out, then I said something (kinda) relevant, Theropod said something relevant in response, then the argument broke out again, then Calli made his relevant detailed explanation; I was listing the times we started the thread back on track, not the other way around.

:thumbup:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#130  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Fallible wrote:Eh? I've got no issue with you, Mr Fish, although I find some of what you say silly. Not all, I've seen you say some interesting stuff too. Mr McC is a bit different, as he goes similarly off piste in pretty much every thread he graces with his presence, and the fantasy motives he creates for his interlocutors are usually pulled directly from his balloon knot and are therefore expectedly shitty and unpleasant. It's another one of those situations where one is left to wonder whether this is deliberate, or beyond his control. I would have kept quiet, only he's interfering with my enjoyment of the thread.

Enough bullshit! I'm not sure you know what you are talking about here. Out of ignorance, RS rejected my statements concerning retroviruses, and, as he has a following (based on his standing in the subject of fossil studies, but not virology), there was a chorus of denunciation of me, instead of him.
Here is a good article on the life-cycle of a typical retrovirus (not necessrily endogenous):

https://web.stanford.edu/group/nolan/_OldWebsite/tutorials/ret_2_lifecyc.html

EDIT: So, Fallible, if you want to jump on a bandwagon. please first make sure its wheels are on correctly!

FURTHER EDIT: Actually, it started when RS thought he knew better than he actually did (about retroviruses), but he never apologised for his error. Instead, I get most of the blame for the argument!
Last edited by DavidMcC on Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#131  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm

:roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#132  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The above several posts show how a poor posting attitude can divert a thread. It all started with needless insults from theropod, backed up by the pack.

The above shows how David engages in increasingly asinine conspiracy theories that are nowhere near to what actually happened in the thread he's talking about.

And that's the usual nonsense from you! Theropod was in the wrong in this thread, although he never admitted it. Get over it.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#133  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Fallible wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:You really DON'T like criticism, do you?
There! Now, you've made the thread all about you. Alternative evolutionary paths is out the window. I hope you like it.

Actually, you derailed the thread by injecting yourself in a situation involving two other members.

I'm entitled to comment, because there are no private conversations on this site, other than by PM, even although you evidently think there are.


Thomas didn't say you weren't entitled to comment. He corrected your error of blaming someone else for the derail when it was you that did it.

As I said above, it was not due to an error on my part that the thread was derailed, it was by RS.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#134  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2017 2:14 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The above several posts show how a poor posting attitude can divert a thread. It all started with needless insults from theropod, backed up by the pack.

The above shows how David engages in increasingly asinine conspiracy theories that are nowhere near to what actually happened in the thread he's talking about.

And that's the usual nonsense from you!

I get that when one is convinced there's a conspiracy against them, they have to dismiss anything to the contrary as nonsense.
Doesn't mean it actually is.

DavidMcC wrote:Theropod was in the wrong in this thread, although he never admitted it. Get over it.

First, as I've previously informed you, you've buisness telling me what to do.
Secondly, my comment was about your typical hysterionics, not whether Theropod was right or wrong.
Note that everyone had agreed to drop the derail and that it is, once again, you who derails it.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#135  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2017 2:17 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Fallible wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Actually, you derailed the thread by injecting yourself in a situation involving two other members.

I'm entitled to comment, because there are no private conversations on this site, other than by PM, even although you evidently think there are.


Thomas didn't say you weren't entitled to comment. He corrected your error of blaming someone else for the derail when it was you that did it.

As I said above, it was not due to an error on my part that the thread was derailed, it was by RS.

Bullshit. Theropod wasn't the one demanding his idiosyncratic standards of correction be confirmed to, that was all you.
Theropod wasn't the one accusing his interlocutor of not taking criticism well, that was all you.
Theropod wasn't the one accusing his interlocutor, falsely, of derailing the thread, that was all you.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#136  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Fallible wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
I'm entitled to comment, because there are no private conversations on this site, other than by PM, even although you evidently think there are.


Thomas didn't say you weren't entitled to comment. He corrected your error of blaming someone else for the derail when it was you that did it.

As I said above, it was not due to an error on my part that the thread was derailed, it was by RS.

Bullshit. Theropod wasn't the one demanding his idiosyncratic standards of correction be confirmed to, that was all you.
Theropod wasn't the one accusing his interlocutor of not taking criticism well, that was all you.
Theropod wasn't the one accusing his interlocutor, falsely, of derailing the thread, that was all you.

As well as theropod railing against me, I had you jumpimg on the bandwagon, just as Fallible did. What do you think the expression, "injecting yourself in" was meant to achieve?
BTW, Falible, it looks as if you are just trying to stir things here, unless you have suddenly acquired much knowledge of molecular biology.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#137  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm

... Come to think of it, both Fallible and TE have a history of provocation for the sake of provocation, which is why I am suspicious of their motives.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#138  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2017 2:34 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Fallible wrote:

Thomas didn't say you weren't entitled to comment. He corrected your error of blaming someone else for the derail when it was you that did it.

As I said above, it was not due to an error on my part that the thread was derailed, it was by RS.

Bullshit. Theropod wasn't the one demanding his idiosyncratic standards of correction be confirmed to, that was all you.
Theropod wasn't the one accusing his interlocutor of not taking criticism well, that was all you.
Theropod wasn't the one accusing his interlocutor, falsely, of derailing the thread, that was all you.

As well as theropod railing against me,

Stop pretending other people started this David. This derails started with you and your demand Theropod meet your idiosyncratic definition of a correction.

DavidMcC wrote: I had you jumpimg on the bandwagon, just as Fallible did.

Again, pointing out the bullshit in someone's posts =/= jumping on the bandwagon.

DavidMcC wrote: What do you think the expression, "injecting yourself in" was meant to achieve?

Exactly what it says on the tin: expressing that you meddled in conversation that did not involve you.
If you don't like the word 'inject', that's your problem. It doesn't make my post irrelevant, false, or an attempt to jump on any bandwagon.

DavidMcC wrote:
BTW, Falible, it looks as if you are just trying to stir things here, unless you have suddenly acquired much knowledge of molecular biology.

:roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#139  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

DavidMcC wrote:... Come to think of it, both Fallible and TE have a history of provocation for the sake of provocation, which is why I am suspicious of their motives.

I'll give you this one chance David.
Provide evidence for this accusation or retract it.
If you do neither I will report you as this is a blatant lie.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Oct 09, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 27138
Age: 28
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Study find 100's of possible alternative evolutionary paths

#140  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:... Come to think of it, both Fallible and TE have a history of provocation for the sake of provocation, which is why I am suspicious of their motives.

I'll give you this once chance David.
Provide evidence for this accusation or retract it.
If you do neither I will report you as this is a blatant lie.

Oh, I thank youy SO MUCH for that chance. I will treasure it always.
Go ahead and report it, but thosde mods with a memory will remember that you have often, over the years, tried to provoke a big row over any trivial point,turning threads into threads abot you and me (albeit mainly years ago). I'm guesssing that your strategy now is that, if you wait long enough, I won't be able to find the posts without inordinate time spent searching the site, and it just isn't worth the time and effort involved.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests