Have you driven in the USA whilst on holiday?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Have you driven in the USA whilst on holiday?

#81  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2017 3:11 am

Keep It Real wrote:And suffer..I don't at the moment because I'm stroking my ego by being the heaviest cat in the ends/block...what about everybody else though? I'm a fucking ego wanker right now....egos egos

The solution to heavy is gym, whether that be a gym to the body and/or mind.

You're in dire need of a gym, whichever way you cut it. This is all advice/help. You're hard enough not to cry about it, so act upon it. Better yourself.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#82  Postby jamest » Oct 27, 2017 3:18 am

Macdoc wrote:
I have full travel insurance via my bank account

Travel insurance is not medical insurance. - don't fool with this. ANY hospital stay in the US can run $10K and up - way way up.

Without health insurance, surgical treatment of a broken leg typically costs $17,000 to $35,000 or more. For example, at the Kapiolani Medical Center in Hawaii, repair of an uncomplicated leg fracture[4] costs about $16,082, while repair of a complicated leg fracture[5] costs about $33,565, not including the surgeon's fee. A typical surgeon's fee could reach $2,000 or more, according to Carolina Orthopaedic Surgery Associates[6] .

http://health.costhelper.com/broken-leg.html

http://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/ ... nce/guides

https://www.reviews.com/travel-insurance/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... ravel.html

I spend about $600 a year for me alone. The plans are usually 90 days ( that's all you need ) then I top off for the rest of the year.

Australia and the UK on the other hand have crossing plans so your UK insurance covers you in Aus....but not the US. Big risk if you are not adequately covered....make sure you ask your agent.

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcar ... tries.aspx

I've been informed very recently - just last week - in a personal meeting with a top bank employee, that I'm covered for everything. Naturally, I'll check the fineprint soon to see if he's talking nonsense. I long ago learnt the lesson not to believe bullshit from convincing people.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#83  Postby monkeyboy » Oct 27, 2017 7:12 am

jamest wrote:You also have to remember that an agent in the north of England has absolutely no idea which particular model his customer will be fobbed off with 9 months in advance. It's just a 'general' booking, I assume. The specific car you get on the day, per type, is obviously going to be a bit of a lottery. So, I've played it safe with a 7-seater. Gawd knows what that will be, but I've driven 7.5 tonne trucks before, so I'm not worried about that. What worries me is acclimatizing to the American way of driving quickly, or else bust.

I'd just remember that a Renault scenic,for example can be called a 7 seater. That sort of thing would be fine I guess. I'd try getting some actual models as examples of what you're paying for though. We thought we'd booked something.g like a small jeep/discovery type thing only to be told when we got there that the range we had was good for a mid range saloon/estate. Ended up with a mazda estate after much hassle and harrumphing from the growing queue behind me.
I tried phoning the booking agent back home in the midst of this but you forget, most flights set off AM in the UK and arrive PM stateside several hours behind UK time so our end is closed by the time you're being pissed around over there.
A call (whilst you're with them) to the US end of the deal from your agent will get you what you need and hopefully a contact name if you have any problems.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#84  Postby johnbrandt » Dec 09, 2017 9:17 am

Yep, we did it and loved it, after a moments worry about the whole "These silly buggers drive on the wrong side of the road" thing. :grin:
We hired a "full sized sedan" and drove the wheels off the thing. It's easy when everyone else is doing the same thing as you...we just followed the flow and got used to the steering wheel being on the wrong side of the car and being on the right hand side of the road in minutes. Cheap too, compared to renting a car in Australia (we went through Alamo rentals).

Can't wait to go back to the USA again, this time spending about three weeks doing San Francisco, down to Los Angeles, San Diego, and over to Vegas again. Driving distances is nothing for Australians and we loved seeing little odd spots along the way when driving around southern Nevada last time we were over there.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Redial » Nov 12, 2023 1:09 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:Redial and I went over a couple of years ago and stayed with friends of hers in Colorado. We rented an all terrain vehicle and drove Wyoming and Montana and went through Yellowstone over the course of about a week. Yellowstone itself is a big figure 8, so seeing all of what's there is a bit of a trick if you have time constraints. I'd try to fit in Old Faithful and the Grand Prismatic Spring if you can. But mostly just soak up as much of the landscape as possible. There's this enormousness to a lot of it that you can't experience without being there. We had a lot of luck: saw some harder to spot animals on our very first day, and then came through on the drive out of the place late afternoon and saw the Teton Range (think that's what it's called) just as the sun was streaming its last through the clouds and making them glow.

We flew to Chicago from Denver, too. I don't know if you want to drive around in there quite so much. Very hectic pace and a lot of crazy drivers during our stay. It may have just been the person who was driving us though. :lol: Plus, the roads were really bad at the time considering it's a major city.

I’m five years behind, but it was a 4WD not an ATV.
Evolving wrote:Mine looks as though it fits into Redial's piece.

Spinozasgalt wrote:I wish I was a lady, I imagine being female is akin to flying through clouds.
Redial
RS Donator

Name: Redialtherednosereinde
Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Discussion