Jails end face-to-face contact – and families suffer

What the actual fuck?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Jails end face-to-face contact – and families suffer

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 11, 2017 7:33 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/09/skype-for-jailed-video-calls-prisons-replace-in-person-visits?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It’s been described as ‘Skype for the jailed’ and is being sold as safer and more convenient. But it begs the question: are in-person visits a human right?

ne sunny day in October, at the Jefferson Parish correctional center just across the river from downtown New Orleans, Tiffany Burns, 34, was visiting her boyfriend.

The pair had been dating for almost two years and were still giggly in love when a late July knock on the door sent him away. Scooped up by the police after being accused of robbing a suburban bank at gunpoint, Chrishon Brown, 37, was sent to the correctional center while his case worked its way through the court.

A new, unwelcome chapter of their relationship began, with Brown using all his jail funds to call Tiffany, and Tiffany visiting as often as she could.

he felt that way during her visit on 12 October, right up until the moment she walked out the jail door and was handed a pamphlet.

“Visit an inmate from anywhere!” exclaimed the heading. A photo of a smiling blond woman using a tablet with her daughter was featured on the next page.

“From now on, no more visits,” said the jail guard, as she shut the door behind Tiffany. “If you want to see him, read that.”

Under the new system, in-person visits are no longer allowed. Instead, all visits now must be done by video, either from a smartphone, computer, or at an offsite location.

Under the new system, each video visit made from home costs $12.99 for 20 minutes. In-person visits used to be free.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Jails end face-to-face contact – and families suffer

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

The last line probably gives a real reason for it.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:The last line probably gives a real reason for it.

Indeed.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Dec 11, 2017 11:06 pm

If I was Microsoft, I would tell them to go fuck themselves.
ETA Sorry I misread. I don't think they're actually using Skype.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jaydot » Dec 12, 2017 10:03 pm

a privately run prison-industrial complex needs to make a profit. prisoners will still be fed slops.
jaydot

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs