Can I have a glass half full/empty?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Can I have a glass half full/empty?

#41  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 16, 2018 12:05 am

scherado wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Sure you did.

Can you please give some hint as to whom you are addressing. No? YES.

Is there a block list employed on this forum?

Look, if you're going to troll this forum, at least fucking try.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 16, 2018 12:14 am

scherado wrote:
Actually, this is the first time I've ever considered whether my question will have any bearing on the rhetorical phrase, though my instinct tells me it should.

Nobody gives a shit about what your 'instinct' is telling you, Soul Man.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 16, 2018 7:27 am

scherado wrote:
Blackadder wrote:... Regarding the glass half empty issue. It's a rhetorical device, not a question in a forensic science practical exam. That you choose to treat it as the latter is, I think, not unconnected with your difficulties with the item in the paragraph above.

I can assure you that I know the purpose and usage of that rhetorical, proverbial phrase.

Thank you for admitting you're just here to troll. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Fallible » Oct 16, 2018 7:40 am

Who strolls onto a forum and immediately starts a thread to criticise it, and then in a matter of days allegedly starts importuning the moderators to ban other members? Oh! I know who!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Ironclad » Oct 16, 2018 7:57 am

:coffee:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Blackadder » Oct 16, 2018 7:59 am

scherado wrote:
Blackadder wrote:...
For the record, there is a difference between a tongue-in-cheek remark and a serious invitation to commit suicide. A difference that most intelligent people have little difficulty in discerning. Let's leave it that.

I will leave it at that, but I won't forget. FYI, I live in one of those small towns in the lower Hudson River Valley, New York State U.S.A. that has a 9/11 memorial park at it's center where 8 names are etched in a granite block of those who died on the day September 11, 2001 and the roles they played on that day, some were working in a financial business, others where 1st responders.

If I had a phone, then I would take a snapshot to show you the names. (No, I DON'T have a phone.)

I can tell you that when I read that I should find the nearest window and jump, I thought of those who jumped from the towers to escape being burned alive.

Then you have a bad case of pseudo-intellectual literalism.

No need to send me a snapshot BTW. I lived in Westchester County and worked a few blocks away from the WTC. I knew several people who were in the towers on that day. 17 years on, I can cope with the use of another jocular rhetorical device related to windows without being a drama queen so maybe you should get over yourself?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Blackadder » Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am

Double post
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby newolder » Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am

@scherado, I'm having difficulty understanding what this topic is about. Some of that is due to your continued, misarble sic failure to use the quote function correctly (post #32 is still messed up with some of Thommo’s words attributed to me) and some is due to the variable nature of the problem posed. For example, what is the liquid? Is it undetermined or water?
scherado wrote:...

I quote myself, which means I'm having a really bad day:
Have you ever wondered about the possibility of having a half full/empty glass? ... I don't mean the statistical probability, I mean the actuality of filling a glass up to half full/empty. ...

What I mean here is that we are presented with a glass containing a liquid, liquid undetermined.

There it is. From appearance it is nearly half-full/empty.

Is it possible to achieve the "half full" state that is assumed to exist in the rhetorical, proverbial phrase?; Asking the question in terms of "half empty" is we all can agree the same question. "Same" here means equivalence.

Yet earlier in this topic the liquid was specified:

Given: An empty glass and ample water--of an average type--to fill the glass.

Using any method of your choosing to pour water into the glass, fill the glass to half-full or, if you wish, to half-empty.

Will you succeed? Can you succeed?

My original words were: "... the possibility of having a half full/empty glass? ... I don't mean the statistical probability, I mean the actuality of filling a glass up to half full/empty.

The liquid is a) water and b) undetermined. Caek and eat it, much?

How will you determine the halfness of the glass contents without measurements and associated errors?

Are you simply trolling the forum?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Hermit » Oct 16, 2018 9:54 am

newolder wrote:Are you simply trolling the forum?

Scherado is not trolling the forum. You should have noticed by now, that whereas some people do join the forum with the specific intent to troll, there are many others who seriously and sincerely wish to share what they believe to be their profound insights on some issue or another, blissfully unaware of how cookie they are. Forgive Sherado, for he knows not what he does.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am

So, are we saying that something like this has happened to scherado:

Haven't we all been shopping and wished some mom was capable of more than pulling another cookie out of the bag for the kid? No, because it's the element of surprise which forgives this one. Why, it could have turned into a sexual assault.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#51  Postby felltoearth » Oct 16, 2018 11:43 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Remember when this forum used to get competent trolling?

No. When was that?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#52  Postby felltoearth » Oct 16, 2018 11:46 am

newolder wrote:Since there are non-zero limits to the errors involved in measurements of quantities in reference frames (Heisenberg, 1927) then "Close enough for government work" often applies.

I always say "close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades." But I'm a landscape architect so...
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 16, 2018 3:12 pm

felltoearth wrote:

No. When was that?

I thought Stronium Dog was pretty good. Genuinely funny at times, and actually knew how far to take it to keep stringing people along.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby felltoearth » Oct 16, 2018 6:12 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

No. When was that?

I thought Stronium Dog was pretty good. Genuinely funny at times, and actually knew how far to take it to keep stringing people along.

There’s competent trolling and then there’s competent trolling I guess.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm

scherado wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
scherado wrote:
Well, we have a genuine attempt here, though a misarble failure.

... [ ] ...
scherado wrote:
I quote myself, which means I'm having a really bad day:

I'll quote you, too. You're not just having a really bad day, but a downright misarble one.

Did someone's panties get all up in a bunch? No? Yes. Apparently.

Oh look, more personalised trolling. :roll:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby scherado » Oct 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Hermit wrote:

Scherado is not trolling the forum. You should have noticed by now, that whereas some people do join the forum with the specific intent to troll, there are many others who seriously and sincerely wish to share what they believe to be their profound insights on some issue or another, blissfully unaware of how cookie they are. Forgive Sherado, for he knows not what he does.

I thank you, I think...

I can assure you that I'm not a troll, that I do want discuss my "insights."
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby scherado » Oct 18, 2018 9:45 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
scherado wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:So, uh... what are we doing here? Filling a glass half way? Is there some deeper metaphysical proposition that we're acting out on but not saying?

In the end--of the discussion--after full consideration of the OP question, you and I will have created enough doubt as to make everyone pause before asking whether the glass is half full or half empty.

Further, in the end, I will have made it nearly impossible for anyone to be certain whether or not they can obtain a full glass--of anything and any glass. Having done that, one would find it impossible to obtain a half-full glass.

Capeesh?

Many think that I am acting out the metaphysics of perfectionism, when in fact I've never proposed its practical pertinence to everyday activities, such as having a glass of water, or half thereof. For me, it's a good enough glass, and that's damned fine for anyone. I'm not looking to usher in the utopia.

I do understand.

The OP is an exercise in critical analysis. This skill is essential in determining the truth-value of the myriad statements, assertions, declarations, opinions and so on, that one might read or hear daily, particularly if one is reading political content or research material.

I stated, I think, in my hello post that I have honed what I call referent analysis, which was inspired by the first 3 or 4 chapters of The Tyranny of Words, by Stuart Chase; I failed in include that I didn't find the subsequent chapters of any value.
scherado
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 18, 2018 10:01 pm

scherado wrote:I failed in include that I didn't find the subsequent chapters of any value.

That's not all you failed in.

scherado wrote:I have honed what I call referent analysis

I've seen no 'referent analysis' from you. As far as anyone can tell, you've honed the square root of fuck-all as far as 'referent analysis' is concerned.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#59  Postby newolder » Oct 18, 2018 10:06 pm

scherado wrote:
Hermit wrote:

I thank you, I think...

This liquid: is it water or undetermined?
How will you determine halfness without measurement?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 18, 2018 10:07 pm

newolder wrote:
scherado wrote:
Hermit wrote:

I thank you, I think...

This liquid: is it water or undetermined?
How will you determine halfness without measurement?

How long is a piece of string? Twice as long as from one end to the middle.

As you correctly point out, the concept of half-ness is neither here nor there if we can't locate the middle.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion