R.I.P. THREAD

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: R.I.P. THREAD

#2381  Postby Macdoc » Jul 05, 2019 3:20 am

Mustang man gone :(

King of Detroit
Obituary: Lee Iacocca
America’s car salesman-in-chief died on July 2nd

https://www.economist.com/business/2019 ... ee-iacocca
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2382  Postby DougC » Jul 05, 2019 4:14 pm

John McCririck
(17 April 1940 – 5 July 2019)
English television horse racing pundit and journalist.
BBC
Wiki
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2383  Postby DougC » Jul 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Henry Ross Perot
(June 27, 1930 – July 9, 2019)
American business magnate, billionaire, philanthropist, and politician. He was the founder and former chief executive officer of Electronic Data Systems and Perot Systems. He ran an independent presidential campaign in 1992 and a third-party campaign in 1996, establishing the Reform Party in the latter election. Both campaigns were among the strongest presidential showings by a third party or independent candidate in U.S. history.
B.B.C.
Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2384  Postby Tangerine Dream » Jul 10, 2019 1:13 am

If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#2385  Postby Animavore » Jul 11, 2019 7:40 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2386  Postby Macdoc » Jul 16, 2019 6:37 am

Obituary: Georges Brossard, the man who stuck up for insects
By David Walker
BBC News

Georges Brossard dedicated his life to helping humans appreciate the underappreciated world of insects.
Brossard, who has died aged 79, gave up a career in law to travel the world and collect more than 250,000 specimens, a collection that would eventually become one of Montreal's most visited tourist attractions.
He inspired millions through regular TV appearances, raising the profile of tiny creatures he believed were misunderstood and undervalued in human society.
One particular journey to find a rare insect - an extraordinary trip into the Mexican rainforest - would go on to inspire a film.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48853054

Better coverage by the beeb than in Canada :(
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2387  Postby aban57 » Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#2388  Postby laklak » Jul 16, 2019 10:24 pm

A fine man. At House on Fire in Swaziland in '08, Mrs. Lak and I are up front there somewhere.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#2389  Postby Alan B » Jul 17, 2019 9:59 am

BBC
Andrea Camilleri, the Sicilian author behind the popular Inspector Montalbano television series, has died aged 93.
One of Italy's best-loved writers, he had been admitted to a hospital in Rome last month after a cardiac arrest.
The crime writer was best-known for his detective books starring inspector Salvo Montalbano based in the fictional Sicilian town of Vigàta.
The adapted Rai TV series was loved in Italy and became popular in the UK, US, France, Spain, Germany and Australia.
Camilleri lost his sight in recent years but said in 2017 it had allowed him to picture things more clearly.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2390  Postby DougC » Jul 23, 2019 12:54 am

Christopher Columbus Kraft Jr.
(February 28, 1924 – July 22, 2019)
American aerospace engineer and NASA engineer and manager who was instrumental in establishing the agency's Mission Control operation.
Wiki
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2391  Postby Macdoc » Jul 23, 2019 5:14 am

Beat me to it - he has his place in history

Christopher C. Kraft Jr., the legendary founder of NASA’s mission control, who directed America’s first piloted orbital flights, oversaw the Apollo 11 lunar landing and was director of the Johnson Space Center in Houston, died on Monday in Houston, two days after the 50th anniversary of that historic moment on the moon. He was 95.

NASA announced the death.

For 25 years, from the dawn of the space age in the 1950s to the threshold of almost routine launchings in the 1980s, Mr. Kraft played crucial roles in the space program. He devised the protocols for exploration beyond the Earth’s atmosphere, orchestrated early orbital missions and spacewalks, and developed projects that put astronauts on the moon and into the first reusable space shuttles.

Aside from the astronauts who made history — including Alan B. Shepard Jr., with his suborbital flight; John Glenn, in orbiting the Earth; and Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, the first to land on the lunar surface — Mr. Kraft was the most familiar face of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s early years, the steady ground commander who often explained missions to a rapt world at news conferences.

In an era of perilous experiments hastened by the Soviet success of Sputnik, the first artificial satellite, Mr. Kraft presided over triumphal breakthroughs in the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo projects. He also stood by helplessly when a fire killed three astronauts on a launchpad in 1967, but he helped devise the ingenious plan that saved the Apollo 13 crew after an explosion crippled their spacecraft en route to the moon in 1970.

At a time when there were no rules or procedures for space travel, Mr. Kraft, a brilliant aeronautical engineer, virtually wrote the book for NASA. He originated the concept of mission control, with authority vested in a ground-based flight director, not in a pilot-astronaut soaring through space at 7 miles a second who might be overwhelmed by pressures, especially during launch or re-entry.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/scie ... e=Homepage

a life well lived and long :cheers: how ironic is that middle name.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2392  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Rutger Hauer, best known for playing the replicant Roy Batty in Blade Runner, has died aged 75 ...

Actor Rutger Hauer, who starred in 1982's Blade Runner, has died at the age of 75.

His agent confirmed the star died in the Netherlands on Friday after a short illness.

Hauer played the murderous replicant Roy Batty in Blade Runner, which was directed by Ridley Scott and also starred Harrison Ford.

The actor's funeral was held on Wednesday.

Hauer's character gave a famous speech during a climatic face-off with Ford at the end of Blade Runner, dialogue which he helped write himself.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe," he is seen telling Ford. "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2393  Postby DougC » Jul 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Sad.
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2394  Postby aban57 » Jul 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Great actor...
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#2395  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 24, 2019 8:36 pm

I'm willing to bet he chose to have that monologue inscribed on his tombstone ... which would be strangely fitting ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2396  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 24, 2019 10:56 pm

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2397  Postby Alan B » Aug 10, 2019 3:25 pm

BBC
Jeffrey Epstein: Financier 'found dead in cell' in New York

Financier Jeffrey Epstein has been found dead in his prison cell while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges, US media report.
His body was discovered at 07:30 local time (11:30 GMT) on Saturday at a facility in New York.
He was reportedly on suicide watch following an earlier incident in which he was found injured in his cell.
Epstein, 66, had pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and conspiracy charges and was being held without bail.
Last month, shortly after he was denied bail, he was found semi-conscious in his cell with injuries to his neck. He was treated at a nearby hospital, reports say, before being returned to the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York.
The facility is widely considered to be one of the most secure in the country.
Epstein's death comes a day after hundreds of pages of court documents were released that revealed new allegations against him and some of his associates.

Good fucking riddance.

R.I.P. = 'Restless in Purgatory'.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2398  Postby Macdoc » Aug 10, 2019 3:38 pm

didn't want to soil this thread...he had his own notoriaty thread going anyways.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2399  Postby aban57 » Aug 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Macdoc wrote:didn't want to soil this thread...he had his own notoriaty thread going anyways.

We also have a "good riddance" thread. He'd fit in there perfectly.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#2400  Postby Alan B » Aug 10, 2019 3:49 pm

:oops:

Could the mods move it?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion