The Milky Way is.. Bent

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Milky Way is.. Bent

#1  Postby Ironclad » Aug 01, 2019 10:24 pm

BBC News - Milky Way galaxy is warped and twisted, not flat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49182184

"Our results show that the Milky Way Galaxy is not flat. It is warped and twisted far away from the galactic centre. Warping may have happened through past interactions with satellite galaxies, intergalactic gas or dark matter..."
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: The Milky Way is.. Bent

#2  Postby laklak » Aug 02, 2019 1:54 am

Interglactic gas. I knew it, the universe is a cosmic fart.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Aug 02, 2019 7:50 am

The probable extent of the bending, along with the location of our Solar system on the left, is shown on the image below (via BBC).

Image credit: OGLE/WARSAW UNIVERSITY
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Aug 02, 2019 8:37 am

Gawd obviously had an 'off-day'.

But seriously, does that mean we could more easily see the far side of the galaxy?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am

Draw lines from the Solar system over the central bulge of stars, dust and gas to see that the far side remains mostly blocked for visible light emitters - infrared & radio telescopes might help a bit...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Blackadder » Aug 02, 2019 10:15 am

laklak wrote:Interglactic gas. I knew it, the universe is a cosmic fart.

Makes you wonder what the Big Bang was.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan B » Aug 03, 2019 9:00 am

Are there other large masses (galaxies) in the right position to cause this 'twisting' by gravitational forces?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby newolder » Aug 03, 2019 9:23 am

The unfolding story of Globular Cluster Omega Centauri may provide further clues.

Astronomers have discovered a stream of stars pulled from Omega Centauri, the largest and most brilliant globular cluster around the Milky Way — and perhaps a one-time dwarf galaxy.

Around the Milky Way are more than 150 globular clusters, ancient star cities with hundreds of thousands of closely packed denizens. Most such clusters can be found out in the galaxy’s nearly empty halo; it’s likely they formed before our galaxy did. But one of these is not like the others.

Omega Centauri (NGC 5139, or Omega Cen for short) is unusually brilliant, massive, and huge: 10 million stars squeeze into a sphere about 150 light-years wide. What most puzzles astronomers, though, is that its stars come in at least three distinct populations, suggesting the cluster came together over billions of years instead of all at once.

Astronomers have long thought this peculiar globular might be something else altogether: the remains of a galaxy that came too close to the Milky Way. Torn apart by our galaxy’s gravity, its stars would have streamed into the halo and looped around the galaxy, leaving a small cluster-like core behind.

Full story @ sky&telescope link

Or it could be due to something else entirely... Hopefully, further Gaia telescope data releases will help sort things out.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 03, 2019 11:22 am

Alan B wrote:Are there other large masses (galaxies) in the right position to cause this 'twisting' by gravitational forces?

Right now? No. In the past, though... there's a lot of past!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby newolder » Aug 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Here's an enlightening tube. It's the discovery history of the Milky Way's satellite galaxies by Marcel S. Pawlowski. The history runs from the 1920s to today. Now we can begin to measure and model the relative positions into the multi-billion year past and maybe understand the collision(s) that dented our bumper (a task I'll leave to the interested observer)...

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Alan B » Aug 05, 2019 12:27 pm

Nature1
A team at the University of Warsaw measured the positions and distances of supergiant stars known as Cepheids, using the Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment telescope at Las Campanas Observatory in Chile — a project that has doubled the number of known Cepheids in the Milky Way. Mapping the distances traces the Milky Way’s spiral arms, and how the disk warps at its farthest reaches, to form an S-shape when seen side-on.

Nature2
The data haul includes the positions of nearly 1.7 billion stars, and the distances, colours, velocities and directions of motion of about 1.3 billion of them. Together, they form an unprecedented live movie of the sky, covering a volume of space 1,000 times larger than that captured by any previous survey (see ‘Gaia’s gold’). “In my professional opinion, this is crazy awesome,” says Megan Bedell of the Center for Computational Astrophysics in New York City, one of the many astronomers who will conduct studies based on the data set. “I think the whole community is eager to dive in.”

GAIA Spacecraft
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby newolder » Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Relevant blog post by Phil Plait.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby Ironclad » Aug 05, 2019 10:34 pm

That's neat. So our galaxy is also fatter at either end too?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#14  Postby newolder » Aug 06, 2019 8:53 am

Indeed, the flaring increases the thickness near the warp edges by a factor of 3 compared to the 700 light year thickness hereabouts.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Somebody left it lying in the sun.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby i have no avatar » Aug 07, 2019 3:03 am

newolder wrote:Indeed, the flaring increases the thickness near the warp edges by a factor of 3 compared to the 700 light year thickness hereabouts.

So warp factor 3? :grin:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/501e63ee-9265-4e64-873f-0dad787df451
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science