Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#8861  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 4:58 pm

OlivierK wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I don't know why you've got such a vehement dislike of Trump - you're cut from the same cloth.

Yep.

Orange Scrote wrote:Beto (phony name to indicate Hispanic heritage) O'Rourke, who is embarrassed by my last visit to the Great State of Texas, where I trounced him, and is now even more embarrassed by polling at 1% in the Democrat Primary, should respect the victims & law enforcement - & be quiet!

Oranje Scot wrote:Spearthrower why do you try a take part in discussions a way above your head of which you have obviously no knowledge. Please stick to your completely childish responses and dont annoy the adults. Go and look in the philosophy sub forum there's a good boy.

What's the expression? Something like - we despise what we see of ourselves in others - the visceral antipathy Scot has for Trump perhaps suggests there's an awful lot to see there.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8862  Postby Regina » Aug 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
OlivierK wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I don't know why you've got such a vehement dislike of Trump - you're cut from the same cloth.

Yep.

Orange Scrote wrote:Beto (phony name to indicate Hispanic heritage) O'Rourke, who is embarrassed by my last visit to the Great State of Texas, where I trounced him, and is now even more embarrassed by polling at 1% in the Democrat Primary, should respect the victims & law enforcement - & be quiet!

Oranje Scot wrote:Spearthrower why do you try a take part in discussions a way above your head of which you have obviously no knowledge. Please stick to your completely childish responses and dont annoy the adults. Go and look in the philosophy sub forum there's a good boy.

What's the expression? Something like - we despise what we see of ourselves in others - the visceral antipathy Scot has for Trump perhaps suggests there's an awful lot to see there.

Ah, one cannot win, can one? So someone who abhors sexism is in fact sexist herself when no one is looking? A dedicated fighter against racism is actually desperately trying to keep himself from becoming a Klansman? And the mild-mannered, butter-won't-melt-in-her-mouth pacifist is actually a danger to her neighbours and the world at large? Not to mention anti-fascists who presumably get all excited when they chance upon a Hitler speech on the History Channel.
Ah......armchair psychology for the win.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#8863  Postby Sendraks » Aug 15, 2019 5:46 pm

GrahamH wrote:

In her own words. I think you are making up your own version there.

No I'm quoting what she said to the BBC. But sure, if you want to pretend I'm making stuff up.

GrahamH wrote:
Caroline Lucas wrote:We need an “emergency cabinet” – not to fight a Brexit war but to work for reconciliation. And I believe this should be a cabinet of women.

A cabinet solely focused on the issue of Brexit. Not running the country. This is not hard to grasp.

GrahamH wrote:Stop embarrassing yourself.

To stop, I would first need to start. And there's nothing to here to show me or anyone else that I have.
Either way Corbyn isn't a women, so the relevance of Jo Swinson's interactions with him in a discussion about how a group of women might approach the problem, is zero.

GrahamH wrote:A cabinet must build consensus and cooperate with people who not only disagree with them but even those of different gender, religion or ethnicity.

Or just be a big old bundle of group-think like Bojo's cabinet is.

GrahamH wrote: Are Jo Swinson and Arlene Foster exemplifying the qualities of women that Lucas proposes will save us from Brexit calamity?

Are they not?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#8864  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Regina wrote:Ah, one cannot win, can one? So someone who abhors sexism is in fact sexist herself when no one is looking? A dedicated fighter against racism is actually desperately trying to keep himself from becoming a Klansman? And the mild-mannered, butter-won't-melt-in-her-mouth pacifist is actually a danger to her neighbours and the world at large? Not to mention anti-fascists who presumably get all excited when they chance upon a Hitler speech on the History Channel.

I'm not quite sure how any of that really follows. Abhoring sexism, fighting racism, and being anti-fascist aren't character traits, are they? For that matter, nor is racism, sexism, or fascism - they're learned / ideologies, and the former are mostly intellectual reactions to those ideologies and behaviors.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8865  Postby Regina » Aug 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Regina wrote:Ah, one cannot win, can one? So someone who abhors sexism is in fact sexist herself when no one is looking? A dedicated fighter against racism is actually desperately trying to keep himself from becoming a Klansman? And the mild-mannered, butter-won't-melt-in-her-mouth pacifist is actually a danger to her neighbours and the world at large? Not to mention anti-fascists who presumably get all excited when they chance upon a Hitler speech on the History Channel.

I'm not quite sure how any of that really follows. Abhoring sexism, fighting racism, and being anti-fascist aren't character traits, are they? For that matter, nor is racism, sexism, or fascism - they're learned / ideologies, and the former are mostly intellectual reactions to those ideologies and behaviors.

Ah, get it now. So we cannot really despise people like Trump, because, after all, we are despising these peoples' character traits, and those are genetic? Or are they learned patterns of behaviour? And if they are learned behaviours, who taught the poor mites, and aren't those villains responsible? And how do you distinguish between the two? So many answers, but not enough questions.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#8866  Postby ronmcd » Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

For 3 years, pro-second ref forces have largely run a flimsy, backward-looking campaign, with ancien régime politicians. Labour has said far too little about Brexit, one way or the other. At the last min, trying to form a temporary gov will play terribly in the country (and fail)

And obv, I wish it were otherwise, but it's not.

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/stat ... 6675044352
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8867  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Regina wrote:
Ah, get it now. So we cannot really despise people like Trump, because, after all, we are despising these peoples' character traits, and those are genetic? Or are they learned patterns of behaviour? And if they are learned behaviours, who taught the poor mites, and aren't those villains responsible? And how do you distinguish between the two? So many answers, but not enough questions.

I'm not really sure quite what it is you 'get' when your points seem to be coming from nowhere and don't appear relevant to anything preceding them other than things you've said. However, this is the News Politics and Current Affairs subforum, so presumably the hostile snarky tone is really the main point of your post?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8868  Postby Beatsong » Aug 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Beatsong wrote:You're over-thinking it. Accepted constitutional convention says that when a vote of no confidence succeeds against the government, the leader of the opposition has first crack at forming a government that can command confidence. Pretty obvious really as the opposition is (by definition) the next largest party after the one that has just failed.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true with respect to a national unity government.

It isn't a legally or politically meaningful distinction, at the point it's happening, whether you call it a Labour government or a National Unity government. If the majority party fails to command the confidence of the house, the next largest party to attempt to do so (ie, the opposition) will always, by definition, be a minority party, so they will always need the support of MPs from outside of their own party. I'm certainly no legal expert but when those who are describe this stuff, they don't seem to focus on which way the new government gets labelled. It always seems to come down to one thing: simply, whether anyone can "command the confidence of the house".

If there's a vote of no confidence in Johnson, then Corbyn (as leader of the opposition, in accordance with the accepted process) has 14 days to attempt to build a majority. MPs will then be asked to vote "yes" or "no" on whether they have confidence in him as Prime Minister. That's all.

If the Lib Dems (along with enough others) vote "yes" then this whole sorry shitshow could potentially be stopped.

But of course it's Corbyn's fault (and will continue to be Corbyn's fault) that we're brexiting, cos he don't love the EU enough.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8869  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Beatsong wrote:
It isn't a legally or politically meaningful distinction, at the point it's happening, whether you call it a Labour government or a National Unity government. If the majority party fails to command the confidence of the house, the next largest party to attempt to do so (ie, the opposition) will always, by definition, be a minority party, so they will always need the support of MPs from outside of their own party. I'm certainly no legal expert but when those who are describe this stuff, they don't seem to focus on which way the new government gets labelled. It always seems to come down to one thing: simply, whether anyone can "command the confidence of the house".

Right, but I think there's a distinction there between government and party. It's the government which has lost the confidence vote, not the party. The government could, in theory, be brought down by their own party, and a new leader could be selected who does command sufficient confidence from the remaining MP's of their own party. Not the case here, obviously with the slim majority and tenuous DUP support, but in principle I don't think it's solely the right of the opposition to form a new government after a no confidence succeeds.

While Labour's support for the no confidence will obviously be integral, Labour alone wouldn't be enough - there'd need to be a goodly number of Conservatives for it to pass.

My sense of it is that the most likely minister to garner enough support from both parties would be a moderate Conservative who promises a delay and 2nd referendum. For clarity, that's not me saying what I want to happen, but rather what I think has the best chance of succeeding.

Beatsong wrote:If there's a vote of no confidence in Johnson, then Corbyn (as leader of the opposition, in accordance with the accepted process) has 14 days to attempt to build a majority.

I am fairly confident that it's not exclusive to the opposition, and that it really just comes down to who can get that majority regardless of party. In this case, the assumption would be that members of parliament from all parties would agree on someone they find mutually satisfactory. For good reasons and/or bad reasons, I don't think that would or could be Corbyn.

Beatsong wrote:MPs will then be asked to vote "yes" or "no" on whether they have confidence in him as Prime Minister. That's all.

If the Lib Dems (along with enough others) vote "yes" then this whole sorry shitshow could potentially be stopped.

For me personally, I would definitely prefer to see this, and I have no antipathy towards Corbyn or his policies. I'm pretty far away from UK politics by and large and miss many of the daily ins and outs, but I still can't help but get a sense of how the press has characterised him over the last few years, and it's not something I buy into.

But I don't think it can happen. I think if the most vital objective is to have a further extension to the process and a 2nd referendum, then Corbyn insisting that he would have to be the PM of the unity government could well scupper it and let the no deal exit go ahead. I think he has a vital decision to make in that regard, and it will underscore what's more important to him.

Beatsong wrote:But of course it's Corbyn's fault (and will continue to be Corbyn's fault) that we're brexiting, cos he don't love the EU enough.

While it's obviously not his fault, or the Labour party's fault for the initiation and progression of Brexit, I think Labour's been an ineffective opposition at a time when the country desperately needs a strong opposition, and really has failed to exploit the embarrassing disarray of the Conservatives over the last couple of years. In that regard, I do think that if we end up leaving on 31 October with no deal that some of the blame must be apportioned to him and the Labour party. I think even a dispassionate, non-tribal history would record that.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8870  Postby Regina » Aug 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Regina wrote:

I'm not really sure quite what it is you 'get' when your points seem to be coming from nowhere and don't appear relevant to anything preceding them other than things you've said. However, this is the News Politics and Current Affairs subforum, so presumably the hostile snarky tone is really the main point of your post?

What's that called in forum-speak? Yup, tone-policing, I guess.
Anyway, let's straighten that out:
"What's the expression? Something like - we despise what we see of ourselves in others - the visceral antipathy Scot has for Trump perhaps suggests there's an awful lot to see there."
This is a very thinly veiled personal attack on Scot Dutchy, which you chose to dress up as pseudo-psychology (which in itself is bit of a redundant expression). You are trying to argue that racism etc. are learned behaviours and therefore not character traits which we supposedly see in ourselves when we criticize others.
This distinction is an interesting one to make, but is in fact irrelevant here as you did not specify (because you probably don't know) whether Scot despises "character traits" or "behaviours" in Trump. My guess is: both.
To sum it up, you pulled a claim out of the conversational sewer to attack Scot and that claim is simply unaldulterated bollocks. I'm sure you know that but never expected to get a reaction. You were attacking Scot, after all. And no, he's no mate of mine.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#8871  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Trying to find some form of support for the above is difficult as it's long winded and obtuse language. BBC has a clear flow chart here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46890481

Of note:

There are no firm rules about who, if anyone, should get the chance to form an alternative government during the 14-day period. The leader of the opposition is clearly a likely candidate, but that is not an inevitable outcome.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8872  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Regina wrote:What's that called in forum-speak? Yup, tone-policing, I guess.

From my perspective, it's yet another non-sequitur. Forum speak, or no.

Regina wrote:Anyway, let's straighten that out:

I hope so - from my perspective your posts so far on this side conversation have done anything *but* straighten things out; they seem more intent on manufacturing obfuscations.

Regina wrote:"What's the expression? Something like - we despise what we see of ourselves in others - the visceral antipathy Scot has for Trump perhaps suggests there's an awful lot to see there."
This is a very thinly veiled personal attack on Scot Dutchy, which you chose to dress up as pseudo-psychology (which in itself is bit of a redundant expression).

Oh let me help you there.

No, it's not 'a thinly veiled personal attack' in the slightest. It's a blatant expression of complete contempt for someone who has been acting like a total fucking numpty across multiple threads. Perhaps you should look into that so you might find yourself in an informed position about the events preceding it and why that expression was more than warranted.

What 'pseudo-psychology' did you detect there? Assuming your detection of it is correct, then the issue you presumably have is with the expression I noted. I didn't make that expression up, I simply recalled it. Of course, if you are hostile to the notion of employing the principle of charity in your reading, then you could just as easily contrive fictions from any written words. It really does come down to what tickles you, I suppose.

Regina wrote: You are trying to argue that racism etc. are learned behaviours and therefore not character traits which we supposedly see in ourselves when we criticize others.

I clearly was not trying to argue anything of the sort. You introduced this strange non-sequitur, and I pointed out why it was irrelevant. I would have said the same thing if you'd have said 'oh well then that must mean blondes hate other blondes' or some other obtuse non-sequitur, but that wouldn't mean i was arguing that 'blonde is not a character trait' because that's trivially true and not an argument.

Regina wrote:This distinction is an interesting one to make, but is in fact irrelevant here as you did not specify (because you probably don't know) whether Scot despises "character traits" or "behaviours" in Trump.

I wasn't aware I was obliged to specify for you. Perhaps you could have tried asking me if you were looking to find out more information about my thoughts rather than deciding on my behalf what I meant?

Regina wrote:My guess is: both.

Ok, that's nice. My guess is 23.

Regina wrote:To sum it up, you pulled a claim out of the conversational sewer to attack Scot and that claim is simply unaldulterated bollocks.

To sum up: you decided to engage in the manner wholly typical of this subforum and exemplify why it's such a stain on this forum: with hostility, snarky, and a total disregard for discussing ideas instead of projecting the poorest reading you could muster without any interest whatsoever in exchanging ideas just to have a pop. Disappointing, but par for the course unfortunately.

Regina wrote: I'm sure you know that but never expected to get a reaction.

I was actually having a conversation, as you may note, with OlivierK, so actually my post *was* a reaction. Of course I didn't expect a response from you as you had not been involved prior to that, I didn't know you were reading, and frankly, I have to admit I'd kind of forgotten you existed. Had I recalled your existence, I wouldn't actually have expected such a strange and torturous response from you because, as far as I recall, I've never seen you engage with people in such a manner. Then again, I don't spend much time in this forum because of the kind of discourse it attracts.

Regina wrote: You were attacking Scot, after all. And no, he's no mate of mine.

And this is relevant because...?

Frankly, I don't really understand any of your responses. You seem to have an inner dialogue feeding you with more points you wish to discuss than which are actually present in anything I've written. Perhaps you could reach a little further and just have the entire conversation with yourself?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8873  Postby GrahamH » Aug 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Sendraks wrote:

[quote=GrahamH";p="2710118"] Are Jo Swinson and Arlene Foster exemplifying the qualities of women that Lucas proposes will save us from Brexit calamity?

Are they not?[/quote]

If you think they are I'd like you to explain how they ate going about that.
It looks to me that they are both very focused on fighting their own causes their own way with no compromises.
Last edited by GrahamH on Aug 15, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8874  Postby Sendraks » Aug 15, 2019 8:06 pm

GrahamH wrote:If you think they are I'd like you to explain how they ate going about that.

I never said that, I asked you why you think they are not.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#8875  Postby GrahamH » Aug 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Sendraks wrote:
GrahamH wrote:If you think they are I'd like you to explain how they ate going about that.

I never said that, I asked you why you think they are not.

Simply the lack of compromise or bridge building. They are fighting their own causes. Jo, ahead of any discussion, rejects Corbyn as caretaker PM, rules out a coalition with Labour under Corbyn. Arlene has been rock solid on her red lines. May started her premiership by setting out red lines and closing off options that she didn't need to do to appease one extreme. She didn't consult, she didn't build consensus, she tried to dictate to both sides.

Thatcher was mentioned earlier and she was "the iron lady" who famously declared "the lady is not for turning". She was Uncompromising and divisive.

There can be a place for such traits but they are not the traits Lucas suggested women will bring to an emergency cabinet. Pick people for their individual characteristics and roles, irrespective of gender. Don't base serious decisions on dubious stereotypes.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#8876  Postby Sendraks » Aug 15, 2019 9:54 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Simply the lack of compromise or bridge building.

Those sound like the sort of traits you need to be the leader of a political party.

GrahamH wrote:Jo, ahead of any discussion, rejects Corbyn as caretaker PM, rules out a coalition with Labour under Corbyn.

To see this position as objectionable, one has to accept a number of unsupported assertions as being true.

GrahamH wrote:Don't base serious decisions on dubious stereotypes.

Was anyone doing this?

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#8877  Postby OlivierK » Aug 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Beatsong wrote:If there's a vote of no confidence in Johnson, then Corbyn (as leader of the opposition, in accordance with the accepted process) has 14 days to attempt to build a majority. MPs will then be asked to vote "yes" or "no" on whether they have confidence in him as Prime Minister. That's all.

But of course it's Corbyn's fault (and will continue to be Corbyn's fault) that we're brexiting, cos he don't love the EU enough.

Well, yes, it is. Work backwards through what you wrote. Because Corbyn doesn't love the EU enough, it's not clear that he could command enough confidence from other MPs as someone capable of stopping the whole sorry shitshow, so they may not, indeed, be lining up to install him as an alternative PM in whom they have confidence.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8878  Postby Hermit » Aug 16, 2019 4:02 am

Sendraks wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Women can lead, of course, but because they are women? Why a "cabinet of [only] women"?

Because as she said, she thought it would bring a different perspective, based on evidence that women work differently to men.
She didn't think it was because "women were better" but, because she thought it would produce a different outcome, again based on evidence.

The evidence being what? Margaret Thatcher? Theresa May? QE I? Maria Theresa?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#8879  Postby gobshite » Aug 16, 2019 4:24 am

Margaret Thatcher certainly produced a different outcome. So I'd say the evidence stacks up in that regard.
gobshite

Print view this post

#8880  Postby Hermit » Aug 16, 2019 4:29 am

gobshite wrote:Margaret Thatcher certainly produced a different outcome. So I'd say the evidence stacks up in that regard.

Different to what a man might have come up with?

I'm afraid Lucas spoke from a romantic, idealised stance that has no basis in reality.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs