An Alien Space Probe? Astronomers Are Gearing Up to Listen

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: An Alien Space Probe? Astronomers Are Gearing Up to Listen

#61  Postby newolder » Sep 12, 2019 7:37 am

Minor planet observers may be reporting the second interstellar interloper. The object will be studied more as it approaches in October. Stay tuned (as they say)...

Full report here

Edit stat? FFS. :nono:
Last edited by newolder on Sep 12, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#62  Postby scott1328 » Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm

The Ramans do everything in threes...
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby newolder » Sep 13, 2019 3:45 pm

It's increasingly implausible that C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) can be anything but an interstellar comet.

Interactive orbit diagram
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#64  Postby The_Piper » Sep 14, 2019 12:36 am

Sometime in the late 2020's, hopefully, ESA will launch a craft to hang out at the L2 LaGrange point and wait for something cool like this to arrive and intercept it. https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/ESA_s_new_mission_to_intercept_a_comet
Although much rarer, another example of a potential target is an interstellar interloper from another star system, like the famed ‘Oumuamua that flew past our Sun on a highly inclined orbit in 2017. Studying an interstellar object would offer the chance to explore how comet-like bodies form and evolve in other star systems.

With any additional luck, some different agency will even beat them to it.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby newolder » Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Astrometry of Interstellar comet 2I/Borisov in an arXiv pdf.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby newolder » Sep 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Everything (else) we know about Interstellar visitor #2 so far, posted @ The Atlantic

No one knows where it came from, but it’s here now. And the chase is on.

Astronomers around the world are monitoring an interstellar comet hurtling through the solar system, known for the moment as C/2019 Q4. It’s the second time in less than two years they’ve seen an object from another star swing through our cosmic neighborhood.

...more @ link above...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 18, 2019 4:59 pm

newolder wrote:Everything (else) we know about Interstellar visitor #2 so far, posted @ The Atlantic

No one knows where it came from, but it’s here now. And the chase is on.

Astronomers around the world are monitoring an interstellar comet hurtling through the solar system, known for the moment as C/2019 Q4. It’s the second time in less than two years they’ve seen an object from another star swing through our cosmic neighborhood.

...more @ link above...

It's interesting of course, but I'm not going to be surprised if objects like this now are tracked regularly, assuming they show up at all. I think our instrumentation, data processing, and sets of eyes on those data are now up to the task. If these actually are rare events, the absence of evidence is not going to convince anyone.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#68  Postby newolder » Sep 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:...

It's interesting of course, but I'm not going to be surprised if objects like this now are tracked regularly, assuming they show up at all. I think our instrumentation, data processing, and sets of eyes on those data are now up to the task. If these actually are rare events, the absence of evidence is not going to convince anyone.

Part of my reasoning to add this to the first rather than start a new topic for each - I'm guessing that improvements and additions to sky watching technology will lead inevitably to more such discoveries. Comets and small asteroids are interesting enough but there's also an estimated 50 billion rogue planets (not bound in stellar orbits) wandering about the Milky Way too.

Outlook: Look out!
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 19, 2019 6:07 am

newolder wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:...

Part of my reasoning to add this to the first rather than start a new topic for each - I'm guessing that improvements and additions to sky watching technology will lead inevitably to more such discoveries. Comets and small asteroids are interesting enough but there's also an estimated 50 billion rogue planets (not bound in stellar orbits) wandering about the Milky Way too.

Outlook: Look out!

There's nothing about stellar planetary systems indicating they're dynamically stable over billions of years. There's bound to be a couple of planets from any particular system at risk of being kicked into the void, probably early in the history of the star.

Baby, it's cold out there. (That's a song you may have heard of.)

Asteroids, man. After a collision or two, they're just half-asteroids. Ba-dum, tsssssh.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#70  Postby The_Piper » Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby newolder » Oct 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Interstellar Comet Borisov Looks Pretty Normal, New Observations Suggest

Observations of the interstellar Comet 2I/Borisov have been flooding in for six weeks, and the more astronomers duplicate one another's work, the more confident they are in their analysis of the object.

The prestigious journal Nature Astronomy has now published one of the earlier papers based on this frantic rush of observations. The new paper both confirms that Comet Borisov comes from outside our solar system and offers preliminary evidence suggesting that the object isn't very different from the comets that clutter our own solar system.

When an object as interesting as an interstellar comet comes around, astronomers are bound to swing into action to study it as much as possible, so the scientists behind the new paper are hardly the only ones reaching similar conclusions about the object.

More @ space.com source
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs