President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#18141  Postby Alan C » Nov 19, 2019 9:09 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:This week is going to be fun.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18142  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 19, 2019 1:55 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50471352

US state department official quits amid 'inflated CV' claims

A senior US state department official has resigned amid reports he filled up his CV with false claims about his education and professional background.

Donald Trump was accused by US media of claiming a non-existent university degree and creating a fake Time magazine cover with his face on it.

Oh wait... got a small detail wrong there:

A senior US state department official has resigned amid reports she filled up her CV with false claims about her education and professional background.

Mina Chang was accused by US media of claiming a non-existent university degree and creating a fake Time magazine cover with her face on it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18143  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 19, 2019 2:00 pm

From Mina in the article:

"It is essential that my resignation be seen as a protest and not as surrender,

Of course, because if people see it for what it is, she's fucked. Fortunately Trump's softened up a bunch of gullible turds who'll swallow any sort of victim complex that makes them feel better about their failings.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18144  Postby The_Piper » Nov 19, 2019 2:11 pm

:rofl:
With all of the fake covers around, is there anyone who actually reads Time? I guess, other journalists. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18145  Postby felltoearth » Nov 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Spearthrower wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50471352

US state department official quits amid 'inflated CV' claims

A senior US state department official has resigned amid reports he filled up his CV with false claims about his education and professional background.

Donald Trump was accused by US media of claiming a non-existent university degree and creating a fake Time magazine cover with his face on it.

Oh wait... got a small detail wrong there:

A senior US state department official has resigned amid reports she filled up her CV with false claims about her education and professional background.

Mina Chang was accused by US media of claiming a non-existent university degree and creating a fake Time magazine cover with her face on it.

Lying for Jeebus has evolved into lying for God and Country.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18146  Postby Tero » Nov 20, 2019 12:56 pm

New blog entry from Kari
https://karireport.blogspot.com/2019/11 ... oters.html
just looking back, the hit for the past year seems to be
https://karireport.blogspot.com/2019/04 ... s-out.html
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18147  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2019 8:03 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50495289

Impeachment inquiry: A bombshell for President Trump

With his opening statement to the House impeachment hearings on Wednesday, Gordon Sondland fired a torpedo that has blown a hole in the White House's defences.

Sondland, the US ambassador to the EU, was working with Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, on Ukrainian policy at the explicit direction of the president.

There was a quid-pro-quo. A White House visit for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was directly conditioned on opening investigations that could help the president politically. Sondland also came to believe that US military aid to Ukraine was also being held up for this reason.

Everyone at the White House - acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former National Security Advisor John Bolton and others - was "in the loop".

The word "bombshell" gets thrown around a lot these days, but Sondland's testimony, which represents a shift from his earlier closed-door statements, is a watershed moment in these impeachment investigations.

Again, heads turn to Republicans to see if there's any sign of spines growing.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18148  Postby Alan C » Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Dipshit Nunes had no closing remarks when asked by Schiff. His face said a lot though.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18149  Postby Caper » Nov 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Spearthrower wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50495289

With his opening statement to the House impeachment hearings on Wednesday, Gordon Sondland fired a torpedo that has blown a hole in the White House's defences.

Sondland, the US ambassador to the EU, was working with Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, on Ukrainian policy at the explicit direction of the president.

There was a quid-pro-quo. A White House visit for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was directly conditioned on opening investigations that could help the president politically. Sondland also came to believe that US military aid to Ukraine was also being held up for this reason.

Everyone at the White House - acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former National Security Advisor John Bolton and others - was "in the loop".

The word "bombshell" gets thrown around a lot these days, but Sondland's testimony, which represents a shift from his earlier closed-door statements, is a watershed moment in these impeachment investigations.

I think you're giving them too much credit. It's more about them evaluating whether Trump's/Republican's base will be eroded.
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18150  Postby Animavore » Nov 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Screenshot_20191120-211456_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20191120-211456_Samsung Internet.jpg (452.98 KiB) Viewed 822 times

This is real. Trump's notes at a speech.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18151  Postby newolder » Nov 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Failing eyesight and short term memory?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#18152  Postby aban57 » Nov 20, 2019 9:25 pm

aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18153  Postby The_Piper » Nov 20, 2019 9:38 pm

It's funny and sad that some of the republicans yielded their time to Nunes and Jim Jordan. Those are their heavy hitters?
scywP98beh-4.png
scywP98beh-4.png (20.45 KiB) Viewed 817 times
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18154  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2019 10:38 pm

Caper wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50495289

I think you're giving them too much credit. It's more about them evaluating whether Trump's/Republican's base will be eroded.

While there are undoubtedly corrupt little leeches present in the Republicans in the House and Senate, I don't think I could be convinced that they all are. Some/many are decent folks who just genuinely believe in their political preferences, but still hold values I could recognize. I think they're not sleeping well at the moment, but it still takes courage for them to go against their own party. The good thing is that it would really only take a few whose consciences cannot allow this dissonance before the dam breaks and others gain courage in the herd.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18155  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 20, 2019 10:42 pm

the best thing they can do is keep quiet till the vote goes to the senate and then convict.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#18156  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2019 10:43 pm

Animavore wrote:

Any source for that?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18157  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 20, 2019 10:49 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Any source for that?

* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#18158  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2019 11:03 pm

A man who can't even remember a 3 word line, or to repeat that 3 word line... holds the most powerful office in the World.

He needs it scrawled in big letters twice on a piece of paper to remember... a 3 word line.

It's easy to make a seemingly grand statement like 'how far the US has fallen' - but words simply cannot convey the absurdity of Trump's presidency.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18159  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2019 11:13 pm

And in response to the sudden undeniable evidence that despite the administration (and puppet TV show) repeating for a month or more the mantra 'No Quid Pro Quo' that there was in fact a quid pro quo... polls on whether Trump should be impeached show a decrease in support.

I think there's a big difference between Nixon and now that analysts are overlooking: today, reality is tribal.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18160  Postby Alan C » Nov 20, 2019 11:14 pm

Saw that photo of notes earlier today [on Air Force One stationery]. I still have a bit trouble believing it's genuine.
I hadn't seen anything on Sondland's testimony prior to commenting on Nunes, now that I have it looks like he wants to drive the bus too.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs