Neologisms: list of fallacies

Use them if you will

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Neologisms: list of fallacies

#1  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Jan 26, 2020 4:22 am

Argument from Fiction: A non-sequitur that states that a piece of fictional media relates to and proves and serves as evidence of an assertion; that messages and symbolism serves as evidence of anything outside of said media

Argument from Wowness: An argument from incredulity that states that something can't be believed if it is too shocking, incredible or awe-inspiring.

Slang professor fallacy: A fallacy equivocation of where informal terms are equivocated with formal terms.

Not-denialism: A form of the "I'm not racist but" fallacy but with denialism. So it's "I'm not denying it, but"

DIY Fallacy: A genetic fallacy and an argument from self-knowing, where one's work (hence DIY) is used exclusively as evidence or proof, while discount or handwaving away others work.

Golden definition fallacy: A fallacy of equivocation and a form of the golden hammer fallacy, where one definition for a term is used regardless of context or usage

Kent equivocation: A fallacy of equivocation, where the term or word is given many different, often mutually exclusive, meanings, making communication difficult, if not impossible. Often a debate tactic, analogous to the gish-gallop.

Omni-equivocation: A fallacy of equivocation, where the equivocation is circular and fractal.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Neologisms: list of fallacies

#2  Postby In Sitchu » Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm

I've often found this useful : https://www.iep.utm.edu/fallacy/
In Sitchu
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Re: Neologisms: list of fallacies

#3  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Mar 06, 2020 10:05 pm

all of these are errors in reason or dishonest debate tactics. they count as fallacies.
Mr. Skeptic

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion