Are conspiracy theories destroying democracy?

Discussions on 9/11, moon landing etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are conspiracy theories destroying democracy?

#141  Postby Nevets » Mar 08, 2020 3:10 am

Spearthrower wrote:

No, no I am not.

I am talking about Athenian Democracy, i.e. responding directly to your claims that it was a true democracy

Ok, well perhaps another bad example of democracy

Athens practiced a political system of legislation and executive bills. Participation was not open to all residents, but was instead limited to adult, male citizens (i.e., not a foreign resident, a slave, or a woman), who "were probably no more than 30 percent of the total adult population" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy

Spearthrower wrote:"I will make my position absolutely crystal clear: there has never been a direct democracy that entailed anything more than an oligarchy. None of the examples you've provided support your position, whereas my description accurately represents them

How on earth does your examples accurately represent them? You have successfully debunked those systems as not even being worthy of being described a "Representative democracy", barely an Oligarchy.

You just shattered any pre-remaining delusions i had in democracy.

Are you saying that the democratic system put in place by William the "conquerer" was any better?
Nevets
Banned User

Name: steven gall

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Hermit » Mar 08, 2020 3:42 am

Nevets wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Indeed, the Senate? Nevets, really. Tsk tsk. Roman senators were not even an example of representative democracy. They were not elected by anybody at any time of Rome's history. Initially they were appointed by the consuls, and later by the censors. Had you studied Roman history at all you would have realised that ancient Rome was never a democracy at all. Even during the period when it was called a republic between 509 and 27 BC it was an oligarchy, ruled by a small number of gentes.

In which case it would be considered an Oligarchy

Oligarchy meaning 'to rule or to command' and is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligarchy

But it did not necessarily start out like this

Robert Michels developed the theory that democracies, as all large organizations, have a tendency to turn into oligarchies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligarchy

By the fact it was considered, the Roman Republic, and a Republic means government is property of the people, and not privately owned by rulers, would suggest it started out just that.

is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter", not the private concern or property of the rulers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic

It seems you need to be reminded of what I wrote previously (post #103): Direct democracy might work on a small scale; on a village level, or within a small tribe, that kind of thing. In societies comprising millions of people and spanning huge areas of land direct democracy is not a viable form of government. We can discuss this point in more detail, if you insist, but I regard it as unnecessary. Suffice to say that both Rome and Athens were city states, and whatever democracy they might have devised only applied to those born within the city limits.

Being born within the city limits of Rome or Athens was not the only limitation on who was allowed to participate in decision-making. The inhabitants had to be free. That excluded slaves. They also had to be male, and usually men of property. In Athens those free men also had to have completed their their military obligations. (In Rome, of course, practically all free men had to serve in the military for many years.) During its most democratic period (the reign of Pericles) only about 30% of Athens's adult population was enfranchised to vote, and even then they voted on who was going to be their representatives in the ecclesia, a body roughly equivalent to today's parliamentary, congressional and other lawmaking councils. So you see, what makes up "the People", and therewith democracy, is an exceedingly rubbery concept.

Moving on to Rome: Limitations that applied to Athens, applied to Rome in spades. Your heroic statement that
Nevets wrote:Some of the greatest and most brilliant empires of our time began with a direct democracy, including the Roman Empire, and the Hellenstic empire

is a fact-free assertion. Airily waving your hand in the general direction of the theory by Robert Michels developed the theory that democracies, as all large organizations, have a tendency to turn into oligarchies is no evidence that either Athens or Rome started off as direct democracies. If you don't care about actual evidence I may as well adopt the same approach and claim that Rome was founded via murder. Specifically fratricide. At least I have sculptures and reliefs depicting the murderer to base my assertion on.

The Romans were very proud of their legendary founder. According to one version of the legend, Romulus and his twin brother Remus were left out by the shores of the Tiber to die. A she-wolf took pity on the twins and raised them as her own. She must have done a sterling job, for they were reported to be playing in the dirt some years later. Little Romulus created a circle consisting of a little earthen wall and a moat, stood inside it and proclaimed: "I am a king and this is my city." Remus jumped across the tiny fortification and Romulus promptly slew him. Thus Rome was founded.

I guess you won't believe the story, but many Romans did, and your version - of Rome's original direct democracy - is supported by nothing whatsoever. Not even works of art. Triumphal arches and amphitheatres and other architectural leftovers from ancient Athens and Rome don't count. They are evidence of empires rather than direct democracies.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#143  Postby Nevets » Mar 08, 2020 3:56 am

Hermit wrote:
Nevets wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Indeed, the Senate? Nevets, really. Tsk tsk. Roman senators were not even an example of representative democracy. They were not elected by anybody at any time of Rome's history. Initially they were appointed by the consuls, and later by the censors. Had you studied Roman history at all you would have realised that ancient Rome was never a democracy at all. Even during the period when it was called a republic between 509 and 27 BC it was an oligarchy, ruled by a small number of gentes.

In which case it would be considered an Oligarchy

Oligarchy meaning 'to rule or to command' and is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligarchy

But it did not necessarily start out like this

Robert Michels developed the theory that democracies, as all large organizations, have a tendency to turn into oligarchies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligarchy

By the fact it was considered, the Roman Republic, and a Republic means government is property of the people, and not privately owned by rulers, would suggest it started out just that.

is a form of government in which the country is considered a "public matter", not the private concern or property of the rulers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic

Two points, Nevets:

It seems you need to be reminded of what I wrote previously (post #103): Direct democracy might work on a small scale; on a village level, or within a small tribe, that kind of thing. In societies comprising millions of people and spanning huge areas of land direct democracy is not a viable form of government. We can discuss this point in more detail, if you insist, but I regard it as unnecessary. Suffice to say that both Rome and Athens were city states, and whatever democracy they might have devised only applied to those born within the city limits.

Being born within the city limits of Rome or Athens was not the only limitation on who was allowed to participate in decision-making. The inhabitants had to be free. That excluded slaves. They also had to be male, and usually men of property. In Athens those free men also had to have completed their their military obligations. (In Rome, of course, practically all free men had to serve in the military for many years.) During its most democratic period (the reign of Pericles) only about 30% of Athens's adult population was enfranchised to vote, and even then they voted on who was going to be their representatives in the ecclesia, a body roughly equivalent to today's parliamentary, congressional and other lawmaking councils. So you see, what makes up "the People", and therewith democracy, is an exceedingly rubbery concept.

Moving on to Rome: Limitations that applied to Athens, applied to Rome in spades. Your heroic statement that
Nevets wrote:Some of the greatest and most brilliant empires of our time began with a direct democracy, including the Roman Empire, and the Hellenstic empire

is a fact-free assertion. Airily waving your hand in the general direction of the theory by Robert Michels developed the theory that democracies, as all large organizations, have a tendency to turn into oligarchies is no evidence that either Athens or Rome started off as direct democracies. If you don't care about actual evidence I may as well adopt the same approach and claim that Rome was founded via murder. Specifically fratricide. At least I have sculptures and reliefs depicting the murderer to base my assertion on.

The Romans were very proud of their legendary founder. According to one version of the legend, Romulus and his twin brother Remus were left out by the shores of the Tiber to die. A she-wolf took pity on the twins and raised them as her own. She must have done a sterling job, for they were reported to be playing in the dirt some years later. Little Romulus created a circle consisting of a little earthen wall and a moat, stood inside it and proclaimed: "I am a king and this is my city." Remus jumped across the tiny fortification and Romulus promptly slew him. Thus Rome was founded.

I guess you won't believe the story, but many Romans did, and your version - of Rome's original direct democracy - is supported by nothing whatsoever. Not even works of art. Triumphal arches and amphitheatres and other architectural leftovers from ancient Athens and Rome don't count. They are evidence of empires rather than direct democracies.

Ok, so i am a person arguing against one form of democracy, in favour of a more democratic system, and i used a couple of bad examples from the time of the Old testament to try to support my current belief in "real" democracy, and my examples got shot down, successfully.

However those examples are shooting down "all" democracy.

I am not going to allow it to shatter my faith in democracy however, only democracy carried out by ancient empires and conquerers such as William the conquerer of 1066, and his Westminster abbey construct, that is still in place to this day, and ruled over via house of Lords by the head of the Church of England, and her unelected religious semi-dictorial members that have the power to over-rule Commons at will, and also that ancient OT bible!

Unlike the elected House of Commons, members of the House of Lords (excluding 90 hereditary peers elected among themselves and two peers who are ex officio members) are appointed.[3] The membership of the House of Lords is drawn from the peerage and is made up of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal. The Lords Spiritual are 26 bishops in the established Church of England.[4] Of the Lords Temporal, the majority are life peers who are appointed by the monarch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords

Now, please remember it is the current system of demcracy i am arguing against.
I have no problems with the democratic systems that pre-dated the current system, being even worse.
I am not defending democracy.

But i do believe Direct democracy would work.

Or a model, like what Republic of Ireland currently have, minus the House of Lords.
Nevets
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Hermit » Mar 08, 2020 4:15 am

Nevets wrote:Now, please put up a decent argument for democracy, instead of arguments that support my position, if you are going to argue in favour of democracy.

Oh that is just too easy. I hate Winston Churchill (and not merely because he was staunchly conservative and an admirer of Mussolini), but this does not prevent me from acknowledging that he said some brilliant things. Among them is this tidbit:

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time; but there is the broad feeling in our country that the people should rule, continuously rule, and that public opinion, expressed by all constitutional means, should shape, guide, and control the actions of Ministers who are their servants and not their masters.
Unfortunately he was talking about capitalist forms of democracies, but I'll let that slide.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#145  Postby Nevets » Mar 08, 2020 5:10 am

Hermit wrote:
Nevets wrote:Now, please put up a decent argument for democracy, instead of arguments that support my position, if you are going to argue in favour of democracy.

Oh that is just too easy. I hate Winston Churchill (and not merely because he was staunchly conservative and an admirer of Mussolini), but this does not prevent me from acknowledging that he said some brilliant things. Among them is this tidbit:

Many forms of Government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time; but there is the broad feeling in our country that the people should rule, continuously rule, and that public opinion, expressed by all constitutional means, should shape, guide, and control the actions of Ministers who are their servants and not their masters.
Unfortunately he was talking about capitalist forms of democracies, but I'll let that slide.

Ok, you have debunked the Athens democratic system, the Roman democratic system, and the British democratic system.

Now debunk the Swiss Direct Democracy.

Direct democracy and federalism are hallmarks of the Swiss political system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerla ... _democracy
Nevets
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Hermit » Mar 08, 2020 5:34 am

Nevets wrote:Now, please remember it is the current system of demcracy i am arguing against.
I have no problems with the democratic systems that pre-dated the current system, being even worse.
I am not defending democracy.

But i do believe Direct democracy would work.

You have deleted the sentence I replied to, but no worries. Here is what I have to say about what you replaced it with:

Direct democracy may well work in small communities. I can envisage all adult members of a village meeting in their town hall to vote on the location of their new well, needed to cope with the increased demand for water of the growing community. On a large scale it does not work, even with the communication infrastructure that is not available today. What exactly is inherently democratic if a majority of Australians voted to build a dam that would flood the Hunter Valley because Sydney's Warragamba dam was designed to supply a population of 3 million while Sydney's population has grown to 4 million and is expected to double in size by 2050?

We need to elect individuals from each area that represent the interests of that area in our national parliament in Canberra. Direct decision-making on a national scale is a pipe dream. There are just too many million decisions to make at any one time. That's why committees and inquiries keep producing multi-volume reports on so many proposals before parliament comes around to making decisions on issues.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#147  Postby Hermit » Mar 08, 2020 6:22 am

Nevets wrote:Ok, you have debunked the Athens democratic system, the Roman democratic system, and the British democratic system.

Direct democracy and federalism are hallmarks of the Swiss political system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerla ... _democracy

Get ready for yet another disappointment, Nevets.

Yes, no country has more referendums on the national and state (canton) levels than the Swiss Confederation, but no country has more parliaments either. That's where the peoples's chosen representatives make the vast bulk of political, social and economic decisions. On the national level there is the Federal Assembly, a bicameral parliament, consisting of the Council of States (upper house) and the National Council (lower house). On the state level each of the 26 cantons has its own parliament, populated by representatives of their respective inhabitants.

I am pleased that, unlike some other members of this forum, you look things up and cite chapter and verse to buttress your opinions. Unfortunately you only seem to take notice of information that supports your views. It's so common a defect that there is even a name for it: confirmation bias. You're doing your eagerness to learn things a disservice by leaving it to others to point out stuff you ignore because they don't fit your views at the time.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#148  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 08, 2020 9:50 am

So you are saying that the only two countries in the world, with a wealthier per citizen capita than Republic of Ireland, Norway and Switzerland, are not democratic?

Well, considering it's Qatar at number 1, Luxembourg at number 2, and Singapore at number 3... the most consistent element between them doesn't appear to be their democratic system, but rather seems to be their relatively small population size. I expect there's a mass of policy decisions in there too which have impacted the per capita wealth.

Qatar is disputed as to whether it's a constitutional or absolute monarchy, Singapore is a republic with a representative democracy based on the Westminster parliamentary system, and is a really mixed bag in terms of the freedom of its citizenry - examples include its dominant party system, its uncontested presidential elections, the use of state organs to suppress free speech etc. Finally, there's Luxembourg which is another constitutional monarchy with parliamentary system. So it's hard to see how your argument regarding Ireland's position indicates something positive for republics or negative for constitutional monarchies.

Nowhere have you responded to the links regarding Republic of Ireland, in my response to Thommo

Right, but I wasn't talking about Ireland in most of my points, so there was no need to respond to those links. In my previous posts I was largely talking about ancient Rome and Greece.

p.s Switzerland, is a direct democracy

It's actually called 'representative direct democracy' - it's not that citizens have to vote on every bill, but rather that citizens can raise or overturn a bill by collecting sufficient signatures. It's certainly an interesting democratic experiment, but it's another nation with a relatively small population size... I think that's actually rather crucial to these ideas of direct democracy; less people making decisions, less conflict - I doubt it would work in a nation with 10 times their population size.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#149  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 08, 2020 9:52 am

Hermit wrote:Direct democracy may well work in small communities.

That's my sense too. Perhaps the best model here would be local, small communities engaging in direct democracy that are then taken by their representative to the wider parliament.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#150  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 08, 2020 9:53 am

You can 'debunk' any democracy with 4 words: tyranny of the majority.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#151  Postby Hermit » Mar 08, 2020 10:32 am

Spearthrower wrote:

Those four words constitute an attempt to debunk the notion that direct democracy is a desirable form of government. They do not debunk the assertion that Switzerland's government is an example of direct democracy.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#152  Postby tuco » Mar 08, 2020 11:26 am

I do not think small geographical areas and small communities are necessary conditions for functioning elements, elements only for reasons pointed out already, of direct democracy. I believe its the issues that make the difference between being more suitable for representative or direct.

However, there seems to be the notion that for functioning direct democracy participation of most voters is needed - hence remarks about lack of competence due to complexity of issues or just simply voters not having enough time and energy - and I do not think it is the only way to run direct democracy.

For example, and now this is simplified because for it to function properly it would require additional mechanisms, voters would vote mainly on issues that interest them, thus have some expertise, thus are willing to invest time and energy. This way, individual voters would not be overwhelmed by the number of issues.

Now the first objection would be: It makes it easy for interest groups to push through their agendas, but I am not sure its results would be much different from what we have now. Again, additional mechanisms could be implemented as safeguards to try to prevent such deformations.

The second objection is: Only few people would decide for others, but even less people decide for others in our current system. How many MPs are there? There is no way they can know what their voters want when it comes to every issue they decide.

Other objections, I can imagine, are of technological nature and who knows where tech will be in I dunno 50 years. Or perhaps the time and energy needed to get involved. Well, perhaps if robots will do our jobs we could use the time and energy in different ways and some of us for self-governance.

Still, the most important question is: Are elements of direct democracy something voters want or are they more comfortable handing over their rights for X years and then bitch about politics? I think its the latter so the whole debate about direct democracy is academical.
tuco

Print view this post

#153  Postby proudfootz » Mar 08, 2020 11:26 am

Svartalf wrote:they aren't?

They aren't.

I've created and published memes myself, completely free of intent to overthrow America. :cheers:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Those four words constitute an attempt to debunk the notion that direct democracy is a desirable form of government. They do not debunk the assertion that Switzerland's government is an example of direct democracy.

Swiss democracy being a subset of democracy, its already included.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#155  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 08, 2020 1:53 pm

tuco wrote:voters would vote mainly on issues that interest them, thus have some expertise, thus are willing to invest time and energy.

I think the time is ripe for a conspiracy theory outlining how so many who have useful expertise are somehow excluded from the decision-making process. Alternatively, it might be time to admit that there are problem domains for which there are no experts except self-proclaimed ones.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
tuco wrote:voters would vote mainly on issues that interest them, thus have some expertise, thus are willing to invest time and energy.

I think the time is ripe for a conspiracy theory outlining how so many who have useful expertise are somehow excluded from the decision-making process. Alternatively, it might be time to admit that there are problem domains for which there are no experts except self-proclaimed ones.

I am an expert on self-proclaimed experts.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#157  Postby Nevets » Mar 08, 2020 2:51 pm

Hermit wrote:
Nevets wrote:Ok, you have debunked the Athens democratic system, the Roman democratic system, and the British democratic system.

Get ready for yet another disappointment, Nevets.

Yes, no country has more referendums on the national and state (canton) levels than the Swiss Confederation, but no country has more parliaments either. That's where the peoples's chosen representatives make the vast bulk of political, social and economic decisions. On the national level there is the Federal Assembly, a bicameral parliament, consisting of the Council of States (upper house) and the National Council (lower house). On the state level each of the 26 cantons has its own parliament, populated by representatives of their respective inhabitants.

Unlike with my bad example of Greek democracy, which includes all types of discrimination, against slaves, and women, and my bad example regarding Roman republicism, which includes all types of corruption of the system, i am rather more skeptical that you have successfully debunked my Swiss example, and would deny my argument in favour of direct democracy amounts to confirmation bias, as you said in the section i erased from this message, as the arguments against Direct Democracy, are infact nothing to do with Direct Democracy, but against discrimination against women, and slaves, which is discrimination in any system, nothing to do with "direct democracy".

And while the Swiss model might not be perfect, Switzerland are, as of 2019, currently joint number 1 in the world, regarding wealthiest citizens per Capita
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index#2018_Human_Development_Index_(2019_report)

I also accept, that there will be local issues.
I never said that Direct Democracy would do away with councils as such.
More that there would also be matters deemed "local", where citizens local to that area make policies based only on their local area, without outside interference, in a direct democratic manner.

And i did say right from the beginning when i got my first rejections regards my Greek and Roman examples, that there is nothing i can do about corruption, meaning if they did not act in a manner that is expected of direct democracy, there is nothing i can do about that.
Last edited by Nevets on Mar 08, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nevets
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#158  Postby tuco » Mar 08, 2020 2:53 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

We do not know that. We can try it, "wisdom of the crowd", and see how it works. I mean, if we don't try, we will never know. It probably could be tested in an online simulation. Not the whole thing but, people are smart and can design tests, get data and interpret them with some confidence.

Time ago I was playing https://www.simcountry.com/, now calling itself "Virtual Worlds Strategy Game" but its like economy simulator with added diplomacy and conquest options, anyway there proposals on game changes were brought up by players, voted on by players, and implemented (more or less) by the GM (owner/coder). If there was an issue* that I did not understand or did not care about, why would I bother to vote on it, understand it and care about it respectively? Oh sorry, cool story time.

Anyway, theses ought to be tested. Some probably not. Like .. how was it .. mustard ice cream. As I said, elements and if we really wanna go to details, which I think it's pointless, let's name those domains you speak of.

---
edit:* the issues were brought up for debate on the forum before being voted on. Just saying this because that is what I think its important for democracy, debate. And transparency.
tuco

Print view this post

#159  Postby Nevets » Mar 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Spearthrower wrote: Well, considering it's Qatar at number 1, Luxembourg at number 2, and Singapore at number 3... the most consistent element between them doesn't appear to be their democratic system, but rather seems to be their relatively small population size. I expect there's a mass of policy decisions in there too which have impacted the per capita wealth.

Qatar is disputed as to whether it's a constitutional or absolute monarchy, Singapore is a republic with a representative democracy based on the Westminster parliamentary system, and is a really mixed bag in terms of the freedom of its citizenry - examples include its dominant party system, its uncontested presidential elections, the use of state organs to suppress free speech etc. Finally, there's Luxembourg which is another constitutional monarchy with parliamentary system. So it's hard to see how your argument regarding Ireland's position indicates something positive for republics or negative for constitutional monarchies.

In which case i have misread the index.
But no biggy.
Your argument is not against direct democracy, but an argument for direct democracy to operate "also" at local levels, like current councils do, and also, at national levels.
There has to be matters that are dealt with only by locals, to that area, but in a direct democratic manner.
Other matters, concerning the nation, everyone in the nation decides.

Spearthrower wrote:It's actually called 'representative direct democracy' - it's not that citizens have to vote on every bill, but rather that citizens can raise or overturn a bill by collecting sufficient signatures. It's certainly an interesting democratic experiment, but it's another nation with a relatively small population size... I think that's actually rather crucial to these ideas of direct democracy; less people making decisions, less conflict - I doubt it would work in a nation with 10 times their population size.

Your argument is actually a good argument for Scottish independence, as it appears citizens do better when decision making is localised.

Which by default, would mean English independence.

Might not be good for the House of Lords.

But might be good for English citizens.
Nevets
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 09, 2020 12:07 am

Nevets wrote:
Your argument is actually a good argument for Scottish independence, as it appears citizens do better when decision making is localised.

I wholly support Scottish Independence if that is what the majority of Scots want. The last referendum put the desire for independence quite substantially lower than for leaving the union, but I expect that Brexit has caused some degree of shift in this balance, but I don't know what the outcome of a new referendum would be, or whether it's really desirable to keep having referenda until you finally get the vote that ends the perceived need for that referendum - seems a little lop-sided.

Nevets wrote:Which by default, would mean English independence.

English independence from...? From Scotland? It's an odd way of looking at it as England would still be one of the nations of the UK which already has a political and legal system in place, and England would be co-dependent with Wales and Northern Ireland.

Nevets wrote:Might not be good for the House of Lords.

That travesty isn't going away for many years yet.

Nevets wrote:But might be good for English citizens.

I doubt it would be 'good' to lose the second largest nation of the union, in the same way it wasn't 'good' for the EU to lose the UK, although it does mean they don't need to listen to Farage and the UKIP spoiler brigade yammering on condescendingly anymore.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Conspiracy Theories