The Book Thread 2020

Reading one book is like eating one potato chip...

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Book Thread 2020

#81  Postby Blip » Mar 28, 2020 8:52 am

1. Daughters of Jerusalem by Charlotte Mendelson
2. The Melody by Jim Crace
3. Old Filth by Jane Gardam
4. The Man in the Wooden Hat by Jane Gardam
5. Last Friends by Jane Gardam
6. Corridor Dance by Peter Preston
7. Quarantine by Jim Crace
8. The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker
9. 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World by Elif Shafak
10. Grown Ups by Marian Keyes
11. Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo
12. The Pesthouse by Jim Crace
13. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
14. The Only Street in Paris by Elaine Sciolino
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#82  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 30, 2020 7:53 pm

Audiobooks in Italics

1. I, Claudius - Robert Graves
2. Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
3. The Man in the Iron Mask - Alexandre Dumas
4. Mansfield Park - Jane Austen
5. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

6. How Firm a Foundation: The Story of Florida's First Methodist Church - Wesley S. Odom
7. Ulysses - James Joyce
8. Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (15 books) - Jeff Kinney
9. Evidence of Love: A True Story of Passion and Death in the Suburbs - John Bloom and Jim Atkinson
10. Tristram Shandy - Laurence Sterne
11. The Haunting of Hill House (and The Summer People) - Shirley Jackson
12. White Rose, Black Forest - Eoin Dempsey
13. Daisy Miller - Henry James
14. The Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Volume II - Edgar Allan Poe
15. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
16. The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
17. A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
18. The Sign of Four - Arthur Conan Doyle
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby don't get me started » Mar 31, 2020 2:37 pm

1. The Bilingual Mind and What it Tells us About language and Thought - Aneta Pavlenko
2. Social Interaction and L2 Classroom Discourse - Olcay Sert
3. The Grammar of Knowledge: A Cross-Linguistic Typology - Alexandra Aikhenvald and R.M.W. Dixon (Eds.)
4. Rethinking Language, Mind, and World Dialogically : Interactional and Contextual Theories of Human Sense-Making – Per Linnel
5. Salvation - Peter F Hamilton
6. The Expression of Negation - Laurence R. Horn (Ed.)
7. Catching the Light: The Entwined History of Light and Mind - Arthur Zajon
8. Bad Words and What They Say About Us - Philip Gooden
9 & 10. Tintin on the Moon - Herge
11. The East, the West and Sex: A History = Richard Bernstein
12. A Pragmatic Approach to English Language Teaching and Production - Lala U. Takeda and Megumi Okugiri (Eds.)
13. Salvation Lost - Peter F. Hamilton

14. The Written Language Bias in Linguistics: Its Nature, Origins and Transformations- Per Linnel

256 pp.

A very intellectually stimulating book, and one I think should be a set text for all Linguistics 101 classes.
The author outlines the way in which linguistics has been subtly and not so subtly influenced by the prioritization of the written form of language in theorizing about what language is and how it works. Linnel points out that written language is an artificial, brittle and non-dynamic product of the creator of the text. In this it is at odds with the way that language is actually produced in real time by interactants who deploy multi-modal resources (gesture, pitch, tone, volume, gaze direction, body orientation, speed, pausing et cetara) and work in concert with their fellow interactants to jointly create meaning in the here and now of the interaction space.
Linnel calls into question the Cartesian dualism that underlies a lot of linguistic theorizing; the notion that language is a code for cognition, separate from, and anterior to that cognition. The dialogic approach proposes that language and thought are intertwined and the meanings that interactants seek to convey are local, not universal, and similarly intertwined with the contributions of their recipients.

The author has little time for the Chomskyite project of concocting stand-alone 'John and Mary' sentences and then subjecting them to algebraic-like analyses and the mysterious 'native-speaker intuition' standards of grammaticality (usually meaning the researcher's own intuition). Spoken interaction was dismissed by the Generativists as being too disordered and degenerate to be worthwhile as a thing to study. They would rather chase their tails in trying to cram linguistics into the elegant theorizing and parsimonious explanations that are found in mathematics and physics.

As revealed by Conversation Analysis (CA), natural talk-in-interaction is far from disorderly and reveals sense-making in situ. Language is best understood as a process, not a product and the privileging of the written form of the language has done us all a great disservice.

don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#84  Postby crazyfitter » Apr 01, 2020 6:29 pm

1. Knife - Jo Nesbo
2. Unnatural Causes - Dr Richard Shepherd
3. Pravda Ha Ha - Rory MacLean. Great book, I’ve written a review in What’cha Readin.
4. Triplanetary - EE “Doc” Smith
5. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
6. Standing in Another Mans Grave - Ian Rankin
7. Bury My Heart At Wounded knee - Dee Brown
8. A Silent Death - Peter May
9. Letters from an Astrophysicist - Neil de Grasse Tyson
10. The Story of the British Isles - Neil Oliver
11. How To Argue With A Racist - Adam Rutherford
12. Salvation - Peter F. Hamilton
Thanks for the recommendation don’t get me started. Good books but I hate the pricing structure.£5 for the first one but £10 for the second. I can think of some very poor language.
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#85  Postby Blip » Apr 02, 2020 8:07 am

15. Not the End of the World by Kate Atkinson
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#86  Postby don't get me started » Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am

1. The Bilingual Mind and What it Tells us About language and Thought - Aneta Pavlenko
3. The Grammar of Knowledge: A Cross-Linguistic Typology - Alexandra Aikhenvald and R.M.W. Dixon (Eds.)
4. Rethinking Language, Mind, and World Dialogically : Interactional and Contextual Theories of Human Sense-Making – Per Linnel
12. A Pragmatic Approach to English Language Teaching and Production - Lala U. Takeda and Megumi Okugiri (Eds.)
14. The Written Language Bias in Linguistics: Its Nature, Origins and Transformations- Per Linnel

15. Who Cut the Cheese? A Cultural History of the Fart - Jim Dawson

175 pp.

I fear that I may once again have disturbed the slumbers of my fellow early morning commuters with my soto voce sniggering.
One either likes toilet humor or one is sniffy about it, and as a long time reader of Viz comic, I can definitely place myself in the former category. This book is filled with a mixture of hilarious fart jokes, historical anecdotes, quotes from the great authors and information on how different cultures have dealt with bottom burps, trouser coughs, rip snorters and stepped on ducks. There is a chapter on Le Petomane, a 19th Century French fartist who played to sold out houses across Europe and whose act was a star attraction at the Moulin Rouge ( Check YouTube for the biopic starring Leonard Rossiter). There is also a prolonged quote from Twain's one act play about a mystery fart at the court of Queen Elizabeth and some quotes from letters by Mozart that show his musical genius went alongside a highly developed taste for scatological humor.

Dawson also charts the emergence of flatus in movies from under the stifling blanket of the Hayes Code, and an obligatory reference to the famous scene in Blazing saddles.

Damn funny book- not one you should turn your nose up at. :whistle:

don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#87  Postby crazyfitter » Apr 02, 2020 8:31 pm

I always laugh at a story my neighbour delighted to tell. He worked in the offices at Calverton Colliery and when Princess Margaret came to visit and shook hands with him she ‘made a rude noise’. It was his lasting impression, I wonder if it was hers?
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#88  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 04, 2020 12:18 am

Audiobooks in Italics

6. How Firm a Foundation: The Story of Florida's First Methodist Church - Wesley S. Odom
7. Ulysses - James Joyce
9. Evidence of Love: A True Story of Passion and Death in the Suburbs - John Bloom and Jim Atkinson

19. Lady Susan & The Watsons - Jane Austen
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 05, 2020 12:50 am

Audiobooks in Italics

7. Ulysses - James Joyce

19. Lady Susan & The Watsons - Jane Austen
20. A Lost Lady - Willa Cather
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#90  Postby don't get me started » Apr 05, 2020 5:38 am

16. Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue - John McWhorter

230 pp.

I have read several books by McWhorter over the years and he is a clear and accessible writer who wears his scholarship lightly.
This book was no exception.

In this book the author takes on the history of English and investigates the reasons why English is such an outlier among other European languages. The lack of grammatical gender stands in stark contrast to French, German, Russian, Spanish and all the rest. For English speakers tackling those languages there is always the massive embuggeration of matching each and every noun to a gender.

(A recent video I watched on YouTube had a fluent English/ French bilingual Brit saying that although he is often good enough to be mistaken for a native speaker of French, he still fucks up the genders!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz0XgAKR9Oc

Likewise, the relative lack of case marking in English. Pronouns vary a bit ('I' subject becomes 'me' object) but apart from that, word order bears a lot of the weight in English. Dog bites man and man bites dog vary the meaning by word order alone.
If you've ever had a crack at Russian, you'll know that the witch's brew of forms for number, gender and case on verbs, nouns, adjectives, relative pronouns and what not, makes it a bewildering maze for English speakers.

There is also the case of the weird use of the English use of the word 'do' in negative statements and in questions. My Japanese students have ongoing problems with this. "I not know the answer" and " Where you went?" are typical errors.
McWhorter details how the auxiliary 'do' seems to be a borrowing from the Celtic languages that were here when the Anglo-Saxons decided to pay a visit.

After integrating this Celtic form into the language, another bunch of adventurous seafarers (The Vikings) decided to come calling and made a bit of a hash of learning the language spoken by the locals. Over time this mix stripped the language of many of its bells and whistles (case marking, grammatical gender and what not). The written form of the language went underground for a bit after the unpleasantness of 1066 and when it emerged again a couple of hundred years later, there it was - an outlier among its mainland brethren in its lack of features that are commonplace in other languages from the Baltic to the Aegean.

The author goes a step further back in time and examines the Proto-Germanic language from which English and many of the other northern European languages derived. It turns out that this language (spoken about 500 B.C.E) was already a bit of an outlier among the Indo-European languages that had descended from the original P.I.E. Some of the sound shifts (P>F (Pater > Father)) are exceedingly rare elsewhere and quite a lot of core Germanic vocabulary is not from PIE. He suggests, a bit controversially, that early Phonecians may have had an effect on these early Northern Europeans. I'm not convinced that this is the case one way or another, but it does seem to be that case that Proto-Germanic was an outlier among the other daughters of Proto-Indo-European, and that English is a further outlier within the Germanic sub-group.

Trying to see your own language from the outside in is a difficult thing to do. This book is a good, readable and humorous take on this thing we call English, revealing it to be familiar and strange at the same time.

don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#91  Postby crazyfitter » Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm

1. Knife - Jo Nesbo
3. Pravda Ha Ha - Rory MacLean. Great book, I’ve written a review in What’cha Readin.
14. Days Without End - Sebastian Barry
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#92  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 05, 2020 10:19 pm

1. new orleans vampires: history and legend - marita woywod crandle - 7/10
2. the darkest part of the woods - ramsey campbell - 8/10
3. paranormal encounters on Britain's roads - peter a mccue - 6/10
4. ten thousand doors of January - alix e harrow - 6/10
5. dead mountain - donnie eichar - 9/10
6. weird words - susie dent - 6/10
7. those across the river - christopher buelman - 8/10
8. odditorium - david bramwell & chum - 9/10
9. busy monsters - william giraldi - 6/10 - hard one to score, tbh - i can tell it has some form of intellectual worth but, by toutatix, it's not my sort of novel...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Blip » Apr 06, 2020 6:10 am

16. Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#94  Postby UncertainSloth » Apr 09, 2020 3:01 am

1. new orleans vampires: history and legend - marita woywod crandle - 7/10
2. the darkest part of the woods - ramsey campbell - 8/10
3. paranormal encounters on Britain's roads - peter a mccue - 6/10
4. ten thousand doors of January - alix e harrow - 6/10
5. dead mountain - donnie eichar - 9/10
6. weird words - susie dent - 6/10
7. those across the river - christopher buelman - 8/10
8. odditorium - david bramwell & chum - 9/10
9. busy monsters - william giraldi - 6/10
10. parsnips, buttered - joe lycett - 7/10 - ymmv with this particular brand of daft...i love him so, as with many comedians, a lot of the material is familiar- puts a smile on this miserable old twat's face, though

rather enjoying the alternating of fiction/non-fiction atm

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby don't get me started » Apr 09, 2020 2:55 pm

16. Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue - John McWhorter

17. The Book of Humans: A Brief History of Culture, Sex, War and the Evolution of Us – Adam Rutherford

259 pp.

The author sets out to investigate how we are – on the one hand just animals, and at the same time utterly unique in the natural world. Many of the traits that are seemingly completely human have analogues in the animal world. Tool use is found quite widely in the natural world from chimps and bonobos to dolphins and crows. Although creating fire is a human preserve, some animals utilize naturally occurring fires in a strategic way (a species of bird in Australia has been observed picking up burning twigs and dropping them to create new fires- and then waiting for the exodus of small creatures to feast on).

No doubt to the disappointment of the weirdos from the Abrahamic faiths, homosexual behavior and masturbation are also widely found in the animal kingdom and sex for reasons other than reproduction is the norm in a variety of species (as well as humans).
Rutherford is eloquent, measured, insightful and wears his deep learning lightly.
Our animal origins are clear and our human traits are not as unique as was once thought, but differ vastly in scale and complexity from our animal cousins.

Towards the end of the book Rutherford discusses the fact that it is not brains and hands and hyoid bones and bipedalism and language that have been the root of our species’ success. It is the Gestalt combination of these traits (and others).
Alluded to but not discussed in depth was the fact of our species’ astonishing capacity for sociality. We live together in huge numbers, are constantly surrounded by strangers, but mostly manage to get along without too much conflict. Most of us in one way or another are constantly expending time effort and energy in ways which benefit others, often strangers who we will never meet. Shelves are stacked, roads paved, floors cleaned, books written, devices assembled, goods delivered and so on and we know that it is for the benefit of others who we don’t know.
There is a nice quote from Darwin (Descent of Man) on page 266:

‘As man advances in civilization, and small tribes are united into larger communities, the simplest reason would tell each individual that he ought to extend his social instincts and sympathies to all members of the same nation, though personally unknown to him. This point being once reached, there is only an artificial barrier to prevent his sympathies extending to men of all nations and races.’

We are social in ways that are unknown in the animal world and it this sociality that makes us unique and uniquely successful.

(Overlooked by the author is also the matter of footwear (despite the cover illustration)…another uniquely human invention. :whistle: )

(Slightly different cover to my edition, hence different subtitle. I like my one better)
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#96  Postby crazyfitter » Apr 09, 2020 9:13 pm

‘Most of us in one way or another are constantly expending time effort and energy in ways which benefit others, often strangers who we will never meet. Shelves are stacked, roads paved, floors cleaned, books written, devices assembled, goods delivered and so on and we know that it is for the benefit of others who we don’t know’

I’m not too sure about that, I’ve done many menial tasks for the benefit of others but I wouldn’t have done them if I wasn’t getting paid. On the other hand there are many voluntary and charity organisations which would fit the bill. Very noticeable at this weird moment in time is the way the postman and delivery men smile at me through the window and give me thumbs up signs and keep well back from the door when I have to open it. Truly extraordinary. We really are human.
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#97  Postby crazyfitter » Apr 09, 2020 9:18 pm

1. Knife - Jo Nesbo
15. A Long Long Way - Sebastian Barry
16. Lennox - Craig Russell
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#98  Postby don't get me started » Apr 10, 2020 3:05 am

crazyfitter wrote:‘Most of us in one way or another are constantly expending time effort and energy in ways which benefit others, often strangers who we will never meet. Shelves are stacked, roads paved, floors cleaned, books written, devices assembled, goods delivered and so on and we know that it is for the benefit of others who we don’t know’

I’m not too sure about that, I’ve done many menial tasks for the benefit of others but I wouldn’t have done them if I wasn’t getting paid. On the other hand there are many voluntary and charity organisations which would fit the bill. Very noticeable at this weird moment in time is the way the postman and delivery men smile at me through the window and give me thumbs up signs and keep well back from the door when I have to open it. Truly extraordinary. We really are human.

Yes, you are right, the compensation we receive for doing these jobs is clearly the proximal cause of us doing them. But I think that human reciprocity is of a different kind and scale to that found in the animal world. That was the main thing that struck me. Your mention of volunteer and charity organizations was on point.

Thank you for the little vignette of the postman and delivery men having that little moment of shared humanity. :)

I was also thinking of me and my mates who meet up for beers. We buy rounds but nobody really keeps track too carefully about if we get out of sync or if someone comes late or leaves early. One of my mates calls it Beer Karma. It will all work out in the end.
That mutual trust is something I value. We humans are (mostly) not the apes at the water hole in 2001 and cooperation and sociality will usually yield far better outcomes than competition, suspicion, mistrust and conflict.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Blip » Apr 10, 2020 8:35 am

16. Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell
17. The Artist of Disappearance by Anita Desai

We live in a village which has a community charity: a couple of days ago they delivered an Easter egg - and a little quiz - to every household in the village as a morale booster. They've also set up a very well supported practical help scheme for vulnerable folk. An example of cooperation and sociality in action in one small place...
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#100  Postby crazyfitter » Apr 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Sounds good Blip. My town has 3 Facebook groups 2 private and 1 public which seems to be doing a useful job.

1. Knife - Jo Nesbo
15. A Long Long Way - Sebastian Barry
16. Lennox - Craig Russell
17. The Tenth Chamber - Glen Cooper
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books