Republican Watch

People who say "Democrats are as bad as Republicans" are almost as bad as Republicans.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Republican Watch

#1281  Postby The_Piper » May 29, 2020 3:04 am

:shock: :shock: Un f-in real. And not even slightly surprising today.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1282  Postby Seabass » May 29, 2020 5:30 am

God, I fucking hate Republicans. They are a fucking plague.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1283  Postby willhud9 » May 31, 2020 12:45 pm

I’ve been dog grooming since this pandemic began. My salons never closed in VA. No that I was complaining. I make more in this job than unemployment and would be struggling financially if I was furloughed.

My salon has been engaged in strict disinfecting and cleaning. Social distancing and none of us have contracted the virus thankfully. I made sure my team was being safe from the start.

There are ways to operate a business during this time which minimizes the risks of catching the virus, but too many people want to “go back to normal” instead of be safe.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1284  Postby The_Piper » May 31, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm putting this here, because she mentions Trump. As a crooked pile of garbage senator said at a Trump rally (and at the capitol before that), "it must suck to be that dumb."
It must suck to be that lousy, too. But she's good for comic relief here. I'd never heard Latinx before. I guess it's neutral for a group rather than using Latino/Latina. I'd just say Latino.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1285  Postby chango369 » May 31, 2020 1:49 pm

The_Piper wrote:I'm putting this here, because she mentions Trump. As a crooked pile of garbage senator said at a Trump rally (and at the capitol before that), "it must suck to be that dumb."
It must suck to be that lousy, too. But she's good for comic relief here. I'd never heard Latinx before. I guess it's neutral for a group rather than using Latino/Latina. I'd just say Latino.

i always trip over that word and read it as LA-TINKS, not LATIN-X.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#1286  Postby Alan C » Jun 01, 2020 1:34 am

I had thought the term latin-x is intended to be a gender-neutral term. Latino is man and Latina is woman?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1287  Postby proudfootz » Jun 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Languages with gendered nouns are a pain.

I try to imagine it being pronounced 'La-TEEN-ex'.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1288  Postby The_Piper » Jun 01, 2020 5:43 pm

Alan C wrote:I had thought the term latin-x is intended to be a gender-neutral term. Latino is man and Latina is woman?
Oh yeah, reading the wiki and it says it's used for gender neutral individuals, not groups of people of different genders. My bad. :lol:
I usually use the term Hispanic instead of Latino/Latina, even though it's sometimes more specific than my usage of "someone of Latin American descent." In Maine, it doesn't matter. Most people say Mexican for those same people, even if they have no relatives from or ties to Mexico. I hate that a lot.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1289  Postby Animavore » Jun 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Screenshot_20200601-225902_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200601-225902_Samsung Internet.jpg (483.81 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Screenshot_20200601-225923_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200601-225923_Samsung Internet.jpg (267.69 KiB) Viewed 991 times
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1290  Postby Animavore » Jun 01, 2020 11:33 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1291  Postby Seabass » Jun 04, 2020 2:32 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1292  Postby Alan C » Jun 07, 2020 1:08 am

Murkowski says, what I consider, the barest minimum of any criticism of herr fuhrer and, predictably, he rage tweets about it. Fantastical situation though it may be, if the majority of congressional GOP actually stood up to him would he promise to campaign against all of them?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1293  Postby OlivierK » Jun 07, 2020 1:59 am

Yes.

There's no end to the number of people who'd gladly stand in their place in Republican primaries, promising to lick boots daily in return for the cult leader's endorsement, and a turn at the trough. Normally, a paucity of sufficiently qualified candidates might impose a limit on this strategy, but for a partly that spurns qualifications or even basic fitness for the job, that's not really an issue.

But it would lead to many of those people losing their bids for election in more marginal districts. More than would be lost if anti-Trump Republicans held on to their nominations? Who knows? Most would probably get elected. It takes a lot to lose a safe Republican seat; the only example that comes immediately to mind of a candidate so unpalatable as to lose a safe Republican seat is Roy Moore, and Steve King lost his primary. But unknowns don't usually have the sort of baggage that those two brought.

Mukowski's an interesting case, though. She's already survived one successful primary challenge when the Tea Party/pro-Palin nutter Joe Miller won the Republican primary against her in 2010. She campaigned as the incumbent to have voters write her in during the Senate election, and won re-election against Miller and the Democrat candidate. I'm sure she'd be willing to have another go at that if she was successfully primaried by a Trumpist.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1294  Postby Alan C » Jun 07, 2020 7:44 am

Yes I could see that happening. The bootlickers could indeed have an uphill battle in places, particularly if TOMF isn't growing his base [and seems to not even be trying to]. Some safe seats have looked shaky recently, didn't Beto give Cruz a few worries?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1295  Postby Seabass » Jun 08, 2020 10:13 pm

Surprise! According to two thousand political scientists, the Republican party is illiberal, anti-democratic, and racist, and has more in common with political parties in the third world and Eastern bloc countries than those in the developed world.

How do Trump’s Republicans compare to the rest of the world’s political parties?

On conventional left-right measurements, there’s not much distinguishing America’s Republican party from mainstream conservative movements in Europe. In fact, when it comes to economic left and right, there are governing parties on the right in Europe who are more “extreme”.

On attitudes towards ethnic minorities and respect for liberal democratic values, however, it’s a different story.

The Global Party Survey (GPS), a project authored by Harvard University’s Pippa Norris, has sought to allow international comparisons between political parties on a variety of issues by surveying almost 2,000 academic experts on their relative positions on various spectrums. Those include the social and economic views of those parties, as well as whether they are populist or pluralistic in outlook.

The survey’s findings suggest America’s Republican Party remains “mainstream” in many respects (on a scale of conventional liberalism-conservatism, the GOP sits comfortably near Britain’s Tories and the French Republicans) - but not when it comes to its defending the rights of ethnic minorities and standing up for liberal principles.

On those issues it is far more extreme than Europe’s centre-right governing parties and sits closer to the likes of Austria’s Freedom Party, Turkey’s Justice and Development Party, and India’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) - the governing movement often accused of inciting hatred against the country’s Muslim minority.

more: https://www.newstatesman.com/world/2020/06/how-do-trumps-republicans-compare-rest-worlds-political-parties

Seabass

Print view this post

#1296  Postby OlivierK » Jun 09, 2020 6:43 am

To be honest, I'm surprised where they've put the US Democrats.

Edited to add:
From the looks of the survey, they've asked a bunch of analysts in various countries to rate their parties on various measures - not using any concrete reference points, but merely on a Likert scale such as 0=Liberal to 9-Conservative (or whatever variable they're analysing).

So the US Democrats are probably rated mostly by US analysts who would see them as far more liberal than, say, an Australian analyst would rate them if they ran candidates in Australia. Here, analysts would rightly rate the Australian Labor Party as not nearly as liberal as they could be - pretty close to what passes for centre here. While the Democrats may rate around a 3 from US analysts, as quite left of centre (there), they'd probably rate about a 6.5 in Australia - as a moderate corporatist party a bit right of centre. The idea that they're more liberal than the ALP is just insane.

It's an Overton Window issue that limits the usefulness of the results if it's not corrected for.
Last edited by OlivierK on Jun 09, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#1297  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 09, 2020 7:36 am

OlivierK wrote:To be honest, I'm surprised where they've put the US Democrats.

Especially in relation to UK's Labour.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1298  Postby Fallible » Jun 09, 2020 5:26 pm

Yes, I would never have put them on that side of UK Labour.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1299  Postby Seabass » Jun 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Seabass

Print view this post

#1300  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 10, 2020 10:55 pm

From one of my favorite YouTubers.

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs