Selling Your Soul To The Devil

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Selling Your Soul To The Devil

#61  Postby The Serpent » Dec 03, 2020 4:13 am

I did. He returned it and demanded a refund.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#62  Postby don't get me started » Dec 05, 2020 12:00 am

Hermit wrote:
laklak wrote:How do we know Hell is bad? Because the religious assholes say it is?

Many Christian theologians have reinterpreted hell. It is no longer fire and brimstone, the gnashing of teeth and all that. Now hell is - so they say - "an absence of God". You make a good point just the same. Who wants to sit next to the throne of god, singing songs of praise to him for all eternity? He is, after all, "arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Yuch. You'd have to be an extraordinarily hypocritical or deluded person to be able to stand it.

Theologians may object to this description of the ogre. They might say something like: "Yeah that was the God of the Old Testament. We now have a New Covenant. God has changed. He has become all lovey-dovey." They might say that while busily sweeping Matthew 5:17 under the carpet: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or. the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." They also forget to explain why the Old Testament is still part of the Bible on every Christian church's pulpit. That is a bit weird if the New Covenant has superseded it.

The bolded bit always get me. I mean, they have had two millennia to get their message straight. For most of that time, God's representatives were pretty fucking sure it was never-ending fire and hot pincers. Civilizations rise and fall - yep, its still the hammer on the testicles. Mountain ranges are pushed up and eroded away, uh-huh, it's still needles dipped in Tabasco in the eyeballs. The Milky Way and Andromeda collide - you guessed it, nail-studded truncheon up the bum-hole. Then, all of a sudden, it's more like a slightly saggy sofa in a waiting room with 'take a number' and counter on the wall never clicks over? That's a fairly big message shift, if I may be so bold.

Maybe they should keep their fucking mouths shut until they have come up with what the good news actually fucking is. It's almost as if, they are, you know, like, making it up as they go along....
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#63  Postby laklak » Dec 05, 2020 2:31 am

Heaven's not much better. Streets of gold and mansions of pearl. Gold toilets. Lapis bathtubs. Everybody has a McLaren and a Bugatti. Sounds like Dubai. Can you get decent help? Bet that all takes a lot of cleaning and polishing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#64  Postby don't get me started » Dec 05, 2020 3:53 am

Ha ha Laklak...sounds dire.

Yeah, I'm not really sold on the notion of heaven either. It would be an interesting thought experiment to take a believer and using the kind of technology available in a sci-fi world like Altered Carbon or something from Iain M. Banks, construct a virtuality, and then convince the believer that they have died and arrived at heaven. No matter how great it is, how it matched their expectations and everything else, I'm pretty sure they would get bored and depressed after the first couple of million years or so. Nah, humans are not constructed for eternity.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#65  Postby laklak » Dec 05, 2020 4:04 am

Millions of years singing Hosannas. Shit, you can't even kill yourself because you're already fucking dead.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#66  Postby BlackBart » Dec 05, 2020 6:26 am

For Sale: 1 Soul. Vintage model, showing some signs of wear and tear, and difficult to start on cold mornings otherwise Ok. Would suit fictional anti-deity. Price: Untold riches and power and/or Scarlett Johansson. O.N.O
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism