Voters projected to ban face coverings in Switzerland

referendum

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Voters projected to ban face coverings in Switzerland

#21  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Then don't ask posters to make it less interesting :dunno:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby TopCat » Mar 10, 2021 12:40 pm

I'll just respond to a couple of points...

I'm With Stupid wrote:But the question isn't as you state it whether this particular interpretation of Islam should be welcomed, it's whether it should be allowed. I agree with most of what you say about the burkha. It's a ridiculous outfit steeped in misogyny and patriarchy. But it's not my place to tell people they can't wear it.

Not yours alone, but it absolutely is society's place to state and enforce which cultural practices are acceptable. I might question a referendum (especially where a tiny majority can carry the day) as a mechanism for such statement, but if a state can make it illegal to discriminate against women, I don't see why it shouldn't include the burka as an obvious case of such discrimination.

..but there are plenty of women who don't wear a burkha who have controlling partners who dictate their every move and interaction with the opposite sex.

Indeed. That's wrong too. And illegal, actually. All the more reason for making other examples of coercive behaviour illegal in a western liberal democracy.

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a burkha in reality.

I've seen one once. A bloke out, with presumably his wife, walking along the street in London. It was a hot day, he was dressed in T-shirt, shorts and flipflops. She was walking about two paces behind him, top to toe black cloak, mesh to look out through.

It's difficult to articulate the visceral horror I experienced at the sight. No matter how it's dressed up (sorry), I don't see such oppression as having any place in a country that values women equally as men.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Hermit » Mar 10, 2021 2:08 pm

So now Muslim women who are forbidden by their husbands and/or other members of the Muslim community to appear in public without face coverings, including the burka or niqab are also forbidden to appear in public with face coverings, including the burka or niqab. How very nice for them. :nono:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Yeah, I haven't seen the case made for how this actually helps anyone or reduces the mistreatment of women. All it seems to do is make any women who might want to wear them feel more oppressed and isolated.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs