Vale John Platko

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Vale John Platko

#1  Postby The Serpent » Oct 16, 2019 4:00 am

I had occasion to notice that today is John Platko's birthday and those who've been paying attention over the last few years would know that John died just a bit passed.

John was an eastern catholic, in particular a Ukrainian Greek Catholic. I'm an atheist raised in the Latin church but as a result of my heritage I'm a canonical Syro-Malankara catholic.

I agreed with John about almost nothing but I found him to be a particularly civil interlocutor; a rarity in this place. I miss him and his participation here. We are diminished by his absence.

Go well mate.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Vale John Platko

#2  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 16, 2019 4:26 am

The Serpent wrote:
I agreed with John about almost nothing

Does anyone agree with you about anything? In a cosmos consisting of disagreement, civility is a sacrament. My opinion of Platko differs from yours. Let's just leave it at that.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188 ... jay-platko
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Destroyer » Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am

The Serpent wrote:I had occasion to notice that today is John Platko's birthday and those who've been paying attention over the last few years would know that John died just a bit passed.

John was an eastern catholic, in particular a Ukrainian Greek Catholic. I'm an atheist raised in the Latin church but as a result of my heritage I'm a canonical Syro-Malankara catholic.

I agreed with John about almost nothing but I found him to be a particularly civil interlocutor; a rarity in this place. I miss him and his participation here. We are diminished by his absence.

Go well mate.

I actually didn't know that he had passed away but recently came upon his thread of guitar making and was thoroughly fascinated by it.

Thanks for the info.
Destroyer

Name: Patrick Mills
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby The Serpent » Oct 16, 2019 9:16 am

Destroyer wrote:
The Serpent wrote:I had occasion to notice that today is John Platko's birthday and those who've been paying attention over the last few years would know that John died just a bit passed.

Go well mate.

I actually didn't know that he had passed away but recently came upon his thread of guitar making and was thoroughly fascinated by it.

Thanks for the info.

No problems. He was quite the talent.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Whilst his contributions to this forum I do not miss one jot, I note that 60years old is a pretty short journey. Still, judging by his contributions here, its not as if John was about to learn anything had he been around longer.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 16, 2019 2:12 pm

John's arguments were extremely poor and disingenuous, and I don't think he deserves points for trying to hide it behind a smiling face (or condescending head-shake, as he often did). Still, I'm sad to hear about his passing, and I'll miss his contributions to the guitar thread.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby romansh » Oct 16, 2019 4:24 pm

John could not be otherwise. And that is OK.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » Oct 16, 2019 5:51 pm

Sendraks wrote:Whilst his contributions to this forum I do not miss one jot, I note that 60years old is a pretty short journey. Still, judging by his contributions here, its not as if John was about to learn anything had he been around longer.

One of the reasons I revisited his posts is that he seemed to be expressing doubts in his beliefs.
Here specifically: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post2 ... l#p2620420
He only annoyed me in the Free Will thread really. Otherwise I enjoyed his contributions.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Ironclad » Oct 16, 2019 6:43 pm

There goes another one. One day there will be just one of us, staring out from the dank cave at the dying sun.
Condolences to his family and friends.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm

To John Platko. :cheers:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby hackenslash » Apr 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Damn. That's sad.

I had a lot to say to John and, contrary to what some might think, not all of it was bad. Some of it was, in fact, to concede some stuff to him. I'm going to say it anyway. If I'm going to find myself again, I feel it important to focus on what I did well, and I hope that holding my hands up when I got shit wrong was among the things I did well. We argued about a lot of stuff, and he was most often as wrong as a wrong thing on wrong juice. I've learned a lot about guitars in the time since we last interacted, having done some deep study of luthiery (I currently have three guitars mid build) and there are a good few points I need to concede. I allowed my experience of trouncing him easily with superior knowledge in every area of discourse to elevate my not insubstantial knowledge in his field of expertise to dismiss him more easily than I should. An act of intellectual cowardice, had I done it with intent, and one I must always be willing to apologise for if I'm ever to hold onto the things that make me worth anything.

I'm going to re-read the thread in question, not least because I want to mine it for information. I'll post my thoughts about it there.

Really sorry I missed you, John. You were a huge amount of fun. You were incredibly bouncy, and wonderfully good-natured about it all. You're alongside James, and wossisname the ghosthunter. Wonderful people with what I can't assess as anything other than whacky standards of evidence. It's not even the beliefs I find ridiculous, it's that your standards of evidence were so low in such a critical area. I'd have loved to deliver my apology in person.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 15, 2022 7:06 am

An atheist dies and goes to hell...

The devil welcomes him and says:"Let me show you around a little bit." They walk through a nice park with green trees and the devil shows him a huge palace. "This is your house now, here are your keys." The man is happy and thanks the devil. The devil says:"No need to say thank you, everyone gets a nice place to live in when they come down here!"

They continue walking through the nice park, flowers everywhere, and the devil shows the atheist a garage full of beautiful cars. "These are your cars now!" and hands the man all the car keys. Again, the atheist tries to thank the devil, but he only says "Everyone down here gets some cool cars! How would you drive around without having cars?".

They walk on and the area gets even nicer. There are birds chirping, squirrels running around, kittens everywhere. They arrive at a fountain, where the most beautiful woman the atheist has ever seen sits on a bench. She looks at him and they instantly fall in love with each other. The man couldn´t be any happier. The devil says "Everyone gets to have their soulmate down here, we don´t want anyone to be lonely!"

As they walk on, the atheist notices a high fence. He peeks to the other side and is totally shocked. There are people in pools of lava, screaming in pain, while little devils run around and stab them with their tridents. Other devils are skinning people alive, heads are spiked, and many more terrible things are happening. A stench of sulfur is in the air.

Terrified, the man stumbles backwards, and asks the devil "What is going on there?" The devil just shrugs and says: "Those are the christians, I don´t know why, but they prefer it that way"
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 12, 2023 1:37 pm

It's a pity he didn't bring the same skills exhibited in his guitar thread, to discussion of scientific topics.

On the latter, he had some excruciating low moments.

But in his favour, that performance was not, unlike some of the ideological stormtroopers for creationism, the product of wilful mendacity.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to General Discussion