What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#24581  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 04, 2021 1:36 pm

I wonder how many more Ted Bundy movies we'll have till the end of this year
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Nobody (2021): meh

#24582  Postby arugula2 » Sep 06, 2021 5:21 am

Image Nobody (2021)

Disappointing. Very little style, and almost nothing else going for it. Everything is telegraphed, and what isn't might as well be. Not a bad cast, but this script & direction is beneath them. I'd recommend watching all the action clips online, it'd be equally filling. Michael Ironside has the most fun with it. Odenkirk seems trapped.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Eye in the Sky (2015): decent

#24583  Postby arugula2 » Sep 08, 2021 5:03 pm

Image Eye in the Sky (2015)

Good performances, especially Mirren & Rickman as the British brass trying (for 90 minutes) to get authorization for a drone Hellfire strike on a house in a Somali enclave of Kenya. The scenario is ridiculous, of course, because it shows every one of the decision makers anguishing over the decision - from the PM's cabinet secretaries to the high school recruit in a Las Vegas bunker tasked with pulling the trigger on his video game joystick that will launch the missile. The movie is about how much these people "feel" toward the victims of their bombings, how much they value brown lives in a dirty corner of the empire, and how a 90% collateral death toll is justified because the decision-making is "difficult". ("Drone Papers" began publication the same year this movie was released - 2015.) You wouldn't know this aspect of the lie by watching Eye in the Sky, because here there's only one potential collateral victim, and several legitimate targets in the act, whose identities are confirmed with the utmost care & insistence, using near-unassailable intel methods.

Total fiction. Still worth a watch because... good acting, good direction, great pacing. Also, when consulted, Americans in the civilian hierarchy are appropriately reptilian & domineering, the Brits quivering and indecisive - but that's a trick of contrasts (if also the only realistic politics in the movie). Rickman is set up to being the only member on the British side who isn't anguishing over the decision - but wait, no, it turns out he's just stoic. The movie opens and closes with him struggling with another decision: buying the right doll for his daughter. He has to get it right, you see, because he's human. He has feelings.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021): so-so

#24584  Postby arugula2 » Sep 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Image Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

Absolutely nothing fresh or interesting about how Disney writes characters in these last couple generations... complete with lots and lots of cringe (but the monkeys & Tuk Tuk are very cute). Expect as much, and the animation is almost worth the runtime - sometimes it's startlingly beautiful. A pretty musical number or two. The story doesn't matter, but it's self-refuting if you think about it: for 500 years the always-righteous leaders of the Heart nation have been guarding the gem that keeps the darkness away... but never once did they consider demonstrating its true purpose by fucking sharing it with the other nations. I mean, come on. Aesop was more nuanced than this.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#24585  Postby Macdoc » Sep 21, 2021 7:14 pm

What goes around comes around ...likely heading for a repeat
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24586  Postby Agrippina » Oct 03, 2021 1:42 pm

James Bond new movie. I won't spoil it except to say I enjoyed it. Kids came to take us to a virtually empty cinema for the first time in almost 2 years. It felt surreal sitting in an almost empty theatre but we were able to sit together although we were told to put a seat between us, didn't take our masks off under 3D glasses, and just sat back and enjoyed it. Good acting. Rami Malek makes a good villain. Also saw the trailer for Dune. We're going to see that - the trailer encouraged me to see Jason Momoa as someone other than Khal Drogo. I did enjoy the experience and the movie kept me interested. Some nice locations too.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24587  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 03, 2021 3:03 pm

I started on „Ready Player One“ before I gave up after 15 minutes.
looks like my ability to suspend my disbelief is disabled.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#24588  Postby Animavore » Oct 22, 2021 8:01 pm

Just saw Dune. It was amazing.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24589  Postby Macdoc » Oct 22, 2021 10:28 pm

:whine: Dune - jealous ....not coming to Oz soon. Glad to hear it was good ...we were blown away by the trailer at iMax Ontario Place.

Ready Player One can play with your head as there are a couple layers of uncanny valley on the go. I liked it.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24590  Postby fluttermoth » Oct 23, 2021 1:07 am

I genuinely can't remember the last film I watched; maybe the new Bladerunner when it appeared on Prime; didn't like it, too long and I saw the 'twist' coming after about 20 minutes.

I'm the only person I know who complains they don't watch enough TV or films... I feel I must be missing out, as a lot of people who's judgement I trust like these things, but I just can't stand the boredom of staring at a screen for hours on end.

I still haven't seen Avatar, or Braveheart; I haven't even seen Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, or Cool Runnings, and I thought they both looked quite good when they first came out! See also, Twilight, Handmaids Tale, Man in the High Castle, Walking Dead, etc, etc.

I HAVE seen Game of Thrones, so yay me; never again though, couldn't stand it! Loads of it was really upsetting, and it's just made up! Why do people make up shit that's horrible and upsetting? I don't understand :/
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24591  Postby don't get me started » Oct 23, 2021 8:45 am

Saw Dune on Imax. Fantastic. Thinking of going for a second viewing next week.
Yeah, I read the books when I was in my teens, so I was already heavily invested in the story. The movie did not disappoint.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#24592  Postby Animavore » Oct 23, 2021 11:41 am

I'm still thinking of Dune a day later. I can still feel the score running through me. I loved that Villeneuve used every aspect of the medium of cinema to tell the story. As in through dialogue, imagery, and music.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24593  Postby Macdoc » Oct 23, 2021 9:08 pm

They got the right guy to do it.....now they just have to make sure PT2 gets made. :popcorn:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24594  Postby Agrippina » Oct 24, 2021 4:03 am

Dune on iMax, first time ever in an iMax theatre yesterday morning. I was blown away. Of course there was Khal Drogo looking like Khal Drogo.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24595  Postby Macdoc » Oct 24, 2021 5:25 am

Oh what a treat ....jealous.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24596  Postby don't get me started » Oct 26, 2021 11:15 pm

The news is out...apparently the producers have greenlit Dune part 2!!

Yay!! :dance:
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#24597  Postby Macdoc » Oct 26, 2021 11:18 pm

Indeed
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24598  Postby Animavore » Oct 27, 2021 4:12 pm

If Part 2 more closely follows the books it'll be quite a different movie to Lynch's. I wonder how the people currently saying they prefer the 84 version will feel when it's all in.

Currently I prefer the 21 movie without a part 2. I prefer how it shows rather than tells with heavy exposition.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24599  Postby Agrippina » Oct 28, 2021 5:33 am

don't get me started wrote:The news is out...apparently the producers have greenlit Dune part 2!!

Yay!! :dance:

Having experienced the IMax experience now, I think I'll pass on this. I slept through a large portion of endless sand dunes.

I might go to see the Marvel superhero one I quite like those.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24600  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 28, 2021 6:49 am

don't get me started wrote:The news is out...apparently the producers have greenlit Dune part 2!!

I look forward to the special evening when they show both parts back to back.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV