Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#1061  Postby Seabass » Nov 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Kyle Rittenhouse Has Gotten Away With Murder—as Predicted

Rittenhouse’s acquittal is not a “miscarriage” of justice, as some might claim. It is our white justice system working as intended.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/kyle-rittenhouse-verdict/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1062  Postby Seabass » Nov 19, 2021 11:00 pm

US congressman:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1063  Postby Alan C » Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am

The Rittenhouse defense;

Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1064  Postby HM01 » Nov 20, 2021 12:27 am

Wow. The prosecution was such a bumbling clown show that I'm surprised no one was held in contempt or asked to exit the courtroom due to convulsive laughter. Well, here comes another wave of attacking random people and rioting and looting and arson because the mob's attempts at juror intimidation all fell flat this time.
HM01
Banned Sockpuppet

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1065  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2021 2:13 am

Who's got their hand up your new username's arse?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1066  Postby Seabass » Nov 20, 2021 7:23 pm

For far-right groups, Rittenhouse's acquittal is a cause for celebration

In the minutes after a jury acquitted 18-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse on all counts, jubilation lit up on social media spaces where far-right extremists gather.

In one Telegram channel for the far-right Proud Boys, some noted they had taken the day off work to await the verdict. "There's still a chance for this country," wrote one. In another channel, a member stated that political violence must continue. "The left wont stop until their bodied get stacked up like cord wood," he wrote.

continued: https://www.npr.org/2021/11/19/1057478725/far-right-groups-rittenhouse-acquittal-celebration-violence
Last edited by Seabass on Nov 20, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seabass

Print view this post

#1067  Postby Seabass » Nov 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Kyle Rittenhouse has walked free. Now it’s open season on protesters

Kyle Rittenhouse – the armed white teenager whose mother drove him from Illinois to Wisconsin to allegedly “protect” local businesses from anti-racism protesters in Kenosha, whereupon he shot and killed two people and injured another – has been acquitted of all charges. I don’t think anyone who has followed the trial even casually will be surprised by this verdict. After the various antics by the elected judge, which seemed to indicate where his sympathies lay, and the fact that the prosecution asked the jurors to consider charges lesser than murder, the writing was on the wall.

I do not want to discuss the legal particulars of the verdict. It is clear that the prosecution made many mistakes and got little to no leeway from the judge, unlike the defense team. Moreover, we know that “self-defense” – often better known as vigilantism – is legally protected and highly racialized in this country. Think of the acquittal of George Zimmerman of the killing of Trayvon Martin in 2013.

In essence, the Rittenhouse ruling has created a kind of “stand your ground” law for the whole country. White people now have the apparent right to travel around the country, heavily armed, and use violence to protect the country from whatever and whoever they believe to be threatening to it. Given the feverish paranoia and racism that has captured a sizeable minority of white people in the US these days, this is a recipe for disaster.

continued: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/commentisfree/2021/nov/19/kyle-rittenhouse-verdict-acquitted-protest
Seabass

Print view this post

#1068  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Seabass wrote:
For far-right groups, Rittenhouse's acquittal is a cause for celebration

This is exactly what struck me: once again, the violent, extremist fringe receives the signal that their most deranged fantasies are perfectly normal and acceptable.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1069  Postby Alan C » Nov 20, 2021 10:54 pm

This will spread. There'll be armed reich-wingers at any number of protests; pro-choice rallies, school board meetings.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1070  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 23, 2021 9:21 am

The Rittenhouse farrago descends deeper into the mire as lawyers argue over who now owns the 2 million that was put up from donations for Kyle's bail money. The most likely beneficiary looks to be Kyle himself, which at 1 million per killing would make him one of the world's more successful professional killers.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1071  Postby The_Piper » Nov 23, 2021 9:43 pm

Jesus christ. :nono:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1072  Postby Animavore » Nov 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Great analysis as always.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#1073  Postby The_Piper » Jan 09, 2022 10:10 pm

Here's a good video to share with someone who calls the Jan 6 insurrection peaceful or unarmed. Sam Seder goes over some of the different weapons used by the rioters. And to tie it in with Rittenhouse, one of the weapons was a skateboard, which was found to be a lawful reason to kill someone over in his trial. Which, yes, a skateboard is a potentially deadly weapon, just saying. What if BLM protestor was using a skateboard to attack cops during one of their (overwhelmingly peaceful) lawful, constitutionally protected protests? Maybe they'd merely push them over and have blood start coming out of their ear. Oh wait, that was an unarmed 75 year old that some "peace officer" did that to. I would like to strike Dennis Prager. Physically strike him. :shifty: But I wouldn't want him to fall down and have blood coming out of his ears, so forget that. Can't he just go get run over or something?
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1074  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 10, 2022 1:57 am

Pigs in Yuba City, Arizona, just recently broke a veteran's neck, paralyzing him permanently, and mocked him while doing it. An internet search will find all you want to see.

I would end their lives without a moment's hesitation or afterthought, if it were in my power to do so. Chances are good they will be killed violently on the job, but that's not certain enough. It'll have to do, I suppose. Some satisfaction to know when that does happen, they will die afraid and alone. No one will help them. Just like the vet they paralyzed.

I am a veteran. Senior Master Sergeant, United States Air Force, retired. What a monumental fucking waste of 25 years of my life, defending the constitution pigs use to wipe their pig asses.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1075  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 11, 2022 6:43 am

The_Metatron wrote:Pigs in Yuba City, Arizona, just recently broke a veteran's neck, paralyzing him permanently, and mocked him while doing it. An internet search will find all you want to see.

I would end their lives without a moment's hesitation or afterthought, if it were in my power to do so. Chances are good they will be killed violently on the job, but that's not certain enough. It'll have to do, I suppose. Some satisfaction to know when that does happen, they will die afraid and alone. No one will help them. Just like the vet they paralyzed.

I am a veteran. Senior Master Sergeant, United States Air Force, retired. What a monumental fucking waste of 25 years of my life, defending the constitution pigs use to wipe their pig asses.

You've clearly lead a very privileged/sheltered/blinkered life to date if you feel fine about referring to police as "pigs" and running them down 360 rather than feeling gratitude, admiration and respect for at least some police officers.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#1076  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 11, 2022 8:19 am

Reading comp.

Police officers who broke a veterans neck and mocked him during the process = pigs

It's not complicated, KIR - yet still you try so very hard.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1077  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 11, 2022 4:33 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:Pigs in Yuba City, Arizona, just recently broke a veteran's neck, paralyzing him permanently, and mocked him while doing it. An internet search will find all you want to see.

You've clearly lead a very privileged/sheltered/blinkered life to date if you feel fine about referring to police as "pigs" and running them down 360 rather than feeling gratitude, admiration and respect for at least some police officers.

You're nearly correct. A quarter of a century of service defending what I see police destroy gives me a very clear view of exactly who and what pigs are.

Have you worn a uniform for a living? Do you understand what the word means? One form. One shape. All the same. This is not a metaphorical thing. The wearing of uniforms is engineered and purposeful.

Now, with that clear in your mind, are you going to try to tell us that all the pigs we see misbehaving woke up that very day and decided to do whatever their misbehavior du jour was for the very first time? Bullshit. The violent pigs who paralyzed my former colleague did that shit routinely. They were trained to do it, using their own term for what they were doing to him to mock him.

Pigs, very much like the military, are organized in units. No one works alone. Teamwork, blah, blah, get it?

Now, tell us all about these good cops who somehow never see their litter mates violating citizens' rights. Or, they see, and take no action. There are no good cops.

You know, they all join the same union here? Who employs cops? The people do. Whom do unions oppose? The employers. In our case here discussing pigs, the employers are the people. These motherfuckers are organized against us, the employers. The very existence of police unions is an affront to liberty and the rule of law.

Qualified immunity. Pigs hide behind that one all the time. Like the pig who mowed down an assailant in a shopping mall in California with his assault rifle with no regard for the safety of anyone behind his line of fire. Do you imagine that coward will be held to account? He will hide behind his qualified immunity, and the innocent teenaged girl gets to stay fucking dead forever.

He had a fucking rifle, for fuck's sake. He fired several shots in rapid fire, then one more after a short pause, I read. That means he aimed two of those shots, at best. The first and the last. He stitched the guy up with a few rounds, then put one into him after the fucker hit the ground, I'm guessing. That was an execution. Pig blazed away at a man wielding a striking weapon with a god damned assault rifle.

Bullshit on that noise. We people decide what we want cops to do, and how to fucking do it. When they kill us, they serve no purpose. Their existence is forfeit.

I'll bet that pig that mowed that girl down lacks the courage to relieve humanity of his own existence. I'll bet he actually thinks he did a good thing.

This citizen does not approve of any non-zero chance of getting killed by stray bullets fired by people we can control.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1078  Postby hackenslash » Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm

Not much to add, except that the cookie-cutter Hollywood boyscout image of police is the most dangerous currently extant religion.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#1079  Postby The_Piper » Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm

When I was in my 20's a friend and I were talking about bad cops, and I pointed out (naively) that there are some cops who are good people. He said then they should get a different job, because he automatically assumes that any cop he encountered, sucks. I remember that conversation because it changed my thinking. He kind of had a point. Given the era of cell phone cameras it shows me to never ever trust a cop that I interact with. Sure, some are good, but I can't afford to automatically assume the cop asking for my license and registration has my interests in mind, or even values my life, sadly.
Yesterday one of thedaily stories was that un off-duty cop hit a pedestrian, then got out and shot him. He says the man was threatening, that he jumped on his hood. WTF? Maybe because you hit him with your truck? That not grounds for murder. There were bystanders who say his story is a lie. What is this, The Shield? Hopefully he gets the comeuppance that he deserves, but again, the victim will be dead no matter what "justice" is meted out for his killer. Those blue line American flags make me cringe. I do feel bad for people who served, fought for, and in some cases died for our freedom when it's being violated and hacked away at on multiple fronts.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1080  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 12, 2022 12:59 am

I rarely talk about this, but the fact is that the police force, and what it represents, is actually foundational to society, to living in large modern social groups. That is, the centralization and monopoly of force. We all give up, and have always given up, a little of our freedom to gain the security of the state; it's the oldest protection racket in existence.

But when the enforcers of that system are the threat themselves, that's when people get really fucking mad, and rightly so. If they don't serve and uphold the law but expect us to, then it's simple tyranny, and all tyranny should always been challenged. They got the guns, but we've got the numbers.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs