Tory Party watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Tory Party watch

#6261  Postby zerne » Nov 04, 2021 7:43 pm

A by-election is now inevitable, Patterson has resigned. :)
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6262  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 04, 2021 8:32 pm

chairman bill wrote:
zerne wrote:What's gross is that the consequences are so light. A rebuke of 30 days suspension. A minor inconvenience for the MP involved and a token punishment for a flagrant abuse of power. Yet the Tory administration were quite willing to completely abolish the structures that brought the MP to task.

Yikes.

A 30-day suspension opens up the opportunity for a constituency to hold a recall ballot. If you can get 10% of a constituency to sign a petition, it will trigger a by-election.

You've just reminded me of the episode of The New Statesman featuring Alan B'Stard standing in front of a Tory party conference slogan ... "CLINGING TO POWER" :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6263  Postby minininja » Nov 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Johnson made it clear he was happy for Patterson to be thrown under the bus. But now Patterson has gone, the question remains - what is going to happen about the standards committee? There are several other Tory MPs in the firing line of investigations, and on more than one occasion Johnson himself has faced allegations of breaching standards. As it stands from the amendment voted through, a Tory led select committee is to be set up to make recommendations with the scope to substantially alter the workings of the standards committee. Even if they bring it back for another vote, the Tories are still keen to make this happen, though I imagine they'll want to push it through in a quieter way.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6264  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 09, 2021 8:45 pm

And now another shower of shit hits the fan as it appears that at least one conservative MP has been serving his local constituency whilst in lucrative employment in the Caribbean.. Geoffrey Cox row: Boris Johnson says MPs must serve their constituents (BBC)

Apparently the constituency party are happy, so that's alright then (although the phrase "rotten borough" does spring to mind rather than "safe seat").
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6265  Postby Matt_B » Nov 11, 2021 12:05 am

I think it's OK for MPs to do short stints of consultancy work, including overseas if the opportunity arises, if they can fit that around their parliamentary work.

It's also OK for them to earn substantial sums of money for this, so long as it's all declared.

What's not OK is for Cox to be defending an overseas territory in a legal case brought by his own government! How the fuck is that not a conflict of interest?
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6268  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Matt_B wrote:I think it's OK for MPs to do short stints of consultancy work, including overseas if the opportunity arises, if they can fit that around their parliamentary work.

It's also OK for them to earn substantial sums of money for this, so long as it's all declared.

Having thought about it, I'm not OK with this.

Being a Member of Parliament has to be one of the most important jobs in the country requiring the complete attention of those employed in that job without outside "distractions". To do otherwise I regard as something of a disservice to the people they represent as well as the country as a whole. It is also a job that is almost uniquely vulnerable to conflicts of interest and opportunities for graft, so any remuneration from outside sources becomes suspect.

Consequently, in recompense, my feeling is that MP's should be paid a top echelon wage as a reflection of the importance of the job they do, and I don't begrudge those payments (I actually think they are grossly underpaid, a bribe will be much less tempting to someone without financial worries).

Yes, I know this impacts those MPs working as medics, human right lawyers, etc - but there's nothing to stop them volunteering for unpaid part-time work and one of those jobs HAS to take priority.

FFS - as a middling-to-low level code monkey working for one of the financial institutions I was absolutely forbidden from working for anyone else lest my service be required day or night (a requirement that, oddly, did not apply to the most senior company board members), so it's really not unreasonable to expect the same of someone who is ostensibly running the country.

I'm actually quite pissed off about this. I'm one of the many paying these people's wages after all.

(BTW in my experience, the majority of MP's ARE hard working and totally committed to the job. When I've met and/or talked to them "off-camera" they frequently appear to be knackered. Come to think of it though those were mainly Labour MP's).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6269  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Remember how separation of church and state came about, because of the obviously malign influence religion had on public administration?

We now need separation of business and state, because of the obviously malign influence corporate money has on public administration.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6270  Postby Alan C » Nov 14, 2021 12:53 am

I've been trying to figure out BoJo's stance at COP and whether or not that squares with government's approach domestically. I had thought conservatives were generally 'climate LOL'?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6271  Postby Matt_B » Nov 15, 2021 12:32 am

It looks like Jacob Rees Mogg 'forgot' to declare six million in loans from one of his offshore companies:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... m-of-loans

This one didn't even involve paid work. It's just blatant tax avoidance.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6272  Postby chairman bill » Nov 21, 2021 4:14 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Rees-Mogg get thrown out of Parliament
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6273  Postby Alan C » Nov 21, 2021 9:34 pm

And the corresponding memes around that photo.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6274  Postby minininja » Nov 22, 2021 6:40 pm

The Tories are really keen to bring the fascism.

Revealed: the amendments to the policing bill that will chill you to the bone

The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill – known as the policing bill – was already a vicious, repressive and racist piece of legislation. It sparked massive protests across the country, including the uprisings in Bristol that have led to 42 people facing serious charges.

Now amendments to the bill, currently in the House of Lords, have been published. And worryingly these amendments seem to go even further than the fascistic proposals Patel first announced. There are even provisions to ban internet use for some protesters.

From page 79 of the proposed amendments with my red highlighting:
The prohibitions imposed on a person (“P”) by a serious disruption prevention order may, in particular, have the effect of prohibiting P from—
(a) being at a particular place;
(b) being at a particular place between particular times on particular days;
(c) being at a particular place between particular times on any day;
(d) being with particular persons;
(e) participating in particular activities;
(f) having particular articles with them;
(g) using the internet to facilitate or encourage persons to
(i) commit a protest-related offence or a protest-related breach of an injunction, or
(ii) carry out activities related to a protest that result in, or are likely to result in, serious disruption to two or more individuals, or to an organisation, in England and Wales.

The proposed "serious disruption prevention orders" could be given to anyone who has "on at least two occasions carried out activities related to a protest that were likely to result in serious disruption to two or more individuals, or to an organisation" and prevent them from protesting again or encouraging others to do so, punishable by 51 weeks in prison.

If this goes through, attend more than one protest in 5 years and even mentioning the word "protest" online could see you in prison for a year. This is so fucked up.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6275  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Today's dead cat to distract from the above piece of jack-booted buggery would appear to be a completely mental performance by the PM at a speech to the CBI (BBC).

But apparently he enjoyed his trip to Peppa Pig World, so that's OK.

This is why this man is Prime Minister.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6276  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 25, 2021 5:27 pm

Here we go again - as ever the Tories are taking major league arsehole lessons from their heroes in the GOP: Female Doctor Who robs boys of role models, claims Tory MP (BBC)

At least Peppa Pig is safe for now - although they'll likely have it in for the Teletubbies.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6277  Postby Alan C » Nov 25, 2021 8:55 pm

Because never mind the notion that girls should have some :roll:
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6278  Postby Matt_B » Nov 25, 2021 10:10 pm

It's the idea that some weird old bloke who abducts children and takes them to really dangerous places is a role model that spins me out. :lol:
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6279  Postby Arcanyn » Nov 26, 2021 11:05 pm

Because, of course, a person can only have a role model that's of the same gender as them. The alternative is to accept that gender just isn't that important; and we can't have that, because before we know it, everyone will be judging people on their character and not on superficial irrelevant traits.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6280  Postby Tortured_Genius » Dec 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Talking of role models.

Mr. Bumble the cock-led incompetent continues to rule by chaos.

Can you still call it lying when it appears he doesn't know what day it is?

As far as I can tell there definitely not wasn't no Christmas party at No. 10 last year during lock lock down which his staffers were not maybe joking about in a video from 4 days later about another/same party that didn't not happen that wasn't a party and didn't happen anyway.

Whatever the truth is, it is blatantly clear that whatever rules and laws may be in place they don't apply to him and his cronies because they are far too aristocratic.

(I did try and string some relevant links to describe this story - but it's such a clusterfuck that I couldn't find a summary of the timeline for it.)
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs