The Book Thread 2022

Books are a uniquely portable magic...

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Book Thread 2022

#1  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 01, 2022 3:07 pm

I've dropped the 'challenge' bit...we seem to have moved away from that somewhat into an interesting record of people's reading habits and books that we might not have come across otherwise...obviously, set yourself a target should you so desire - think i'll go for 35 on the goodreads challenge again, seems to work well

'Rules' copied and pasted for those not familiar with the thread, though I think this thread is the domain of the faithful few these days - though I'd love to see others get involved!

1. A book must be at least 50 pages long.
2. Books you started in 2021 and finish in 2022 count on the 2022 list.
3. Re-reads and audio books count.
4. If a book has two books in it, it counts as two (Eg. An Orwell book with the animal farm and 1984, counts as two.)
5. No rules on what to read, besides what's listed.
6. This is for fun so enjoy yourself...

If you have time, please post a brief review or comment about the book - I love reading these and it helps me, for one, decide whether I want to explore something further or not - I'm also partial to covers of books, as you may have noticed...happy reading, folks! :cheers:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Book Thread 2022

#2  Postby Kaleid » Jan 02, 2022 6:23 pm

I've been lucky enough to receive a ton of books recently, so I'll go for this again. Aiming for 50!

1. The Five - Hallie Rubenhold

The scant information we have about Jack the Ripper's victims, their stories are told here with a quiet, simmering anger. It's also very good at setting the scene - you're left feeling very thankful not to be a poor woman in late-Victorian London. The Ripper himself is barely mentioned, which is as it should be; it's the women's story.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby TopCat » Jan 03, 2022 7:17 pm

I've been completely rubbish at this, but I'm currently reading:

Something Deeply Hidden (Sean Carroll)

and

The Demon-Haunted World (Carl Sagan)

I'm completely blown away by the latter. He was an absolutely amazing guy. Practically every page is a prophecy - OMG, did he see the western world's descent into scientific illiteracy coming, or what?

I've also looked him up in a few videos. He was also a total gentleman, possibly to a fault. Such a loss.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 09, 2022 8:24 am

1. the long take - robin robertson - 8/10...combination of free verse & prose, the scars of war & 50s east coast california...evocative and sad

UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Blip » Jan 10, 2022 11:33 am

Happy New Year to all readers!

1. A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson

This was on the Booker longlist last year but didn't make the shortlist. I'd say it should have done, and I enjoyed it very much.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 10, 2022 5:28 pm

looks interesting - i like books with multiple viewpoints
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Jan 10, 2022 5:29 pm

This is the year! The year I read more than 20 books (at least for pleasure…)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » Jan 10, 2022 5:31 pm

First up on the pile…

1. The Amazing Absorbing Boy by Rabindranath Maharaj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby scott1328 » Jan 13, 2022 9:21 pm

I received an audible subscription for my birthday last year. It entitles me to one free book a month. So far with audible and my long commute to work I have (had) read (to me) 24 audible books since July.

I just now finished:

1. Caliban's War, James S A Corey Book 2 in the Expanse Series. I am surprised by how faithful the TV adaptation has been to the novels.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2022 11:04 pm

1. This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam McKay.

Hilarious.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 15, 2022 2:16 am

1. the long take - robin robertson - 8/10
2. the gatekeeper - russ kane - 5/10 - fallible warned me this was tosh and tosh it is...like the author has immersed himself in the very worst of james herbert...the occasional glimmer of goodness shines through...4.3 on goodreads? bettybigbollocks...

UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Kaleid » Jan 15, 2022 12:57 pm

1. The Five - Hallie Rubenhold
2. The Time Traveller's Guide to Regency Britain - Ian Mortimer

Superb read for people like me who adore that period. I'd say it's the best of the series.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby don't get me started » Jan 16, 2022 1:33 am

1. Cognitive Discourse Analysis: An introduction - Thora Tenbrink

271 pp.

Not a particularly long book, but it took me a while to get through. The author comes at language from the direction of psychology. The data she analyzes is based on test situations where participants are given tasks to complete and told to 'think aloud' as they complete the task. Some of the insights were interesting but the fundamental unnaturalness of asking people to think aloud while performing an allocated task in test conditions is very much at variance with the methodology of conversation analysis and I found I had many questions regarding the conclusions.

That being said, there was a lot of interest here, especially in the analysis of wayfinding and human perceptions of space and direction.

don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Blip » Jan 17, 2022 1:04 pm

2. The Expectation Effect by David Robson

Subtitled 'how your mindset can change your life', this is popular psychology, but it cites some interesting recent studies in the Schachter and Singer area of the forest, which is why I read it.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#16  Postby don't get me started » Jan 23, 2022 4:38 am

1. Cognitive Discourse Analysis: An introduction - Thora Tenbrink

2. Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything About Race, Gender And Identity- And Why This Harms Everybody – Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay

351 pp.

An interesting and thought-provoking read. I was very careful in choosing this book. It is not a jeremiad by some right-leaning bloviators discoursing on loony lefties and political correctness gone mad. Nor is it a Gish gallop through a cherry-picked assortment of social media posts, chat room diatribes and self-important ‘influencers’. Rather, the authors take a tour of the scholarship, the published writings of academics who have gone down the post-modernist path over the last 50 years and charted the gradual transformation from a rarified, ivory tower intellectual exercise to a reified ideology that holds itself in high esteem and admits of no debate over its central truths, while at the same time holding that there are no truths only ‘narratives’ of exploitation and victimhood. The authors support their writing with a very extensive section of notes and sources, as good scholarship should.

Of interest to the membership here is the postmodernist rejection of the scientific method as in any way reliable in making statements about the nature of reality.
Here is a quote from page 34.

“The main takeaway from this is that postmodern skepticism is not garden-variety skepticism, which might also be called “reasonable doubt.” The kind of skepticism employed in the sciences and other rigorous means of producing knowledge asks, “How can I be sure this proposition is true?” and will only tentatively accept as a provisional truth that which survives repeated attempts to disprove it. [ …] The principle of skepticism common among postmodernists is frequently referred to as “radical skepticism.” It says “All knowledge is constructed: what is interesting is theorizing about why knowledge got constructed this way.” […] The postmodern view wrongly insists that scientific thought is unable to distinguish itself as especially reliable and rigorous in determining what is and isn’t true. […] In postmodern thinking, that which is known is known only within the cultural paradigm that produced the knowledge and is therefore representative of its systems of power.”

The authors detail how the socio-cultural theorizing of the postmodernists has leaked over into STEM, with, for example, the alarming quote from a Purdue University Press book on engineering which stated “getting beyond views of truth as objective and absolute is the most fundamental change we need to make in engineering education.” (p.219).
Remind me not to fly in a plane engineered by anyone holding this view.

Another theme that the authors examine is the surprising omission of economic class from the list of identities that constitute the disempowered and marginalized.

“The shift away from class and towards gender, identity, race and sexuality troubles traditional economic leftists, who fear that the left is being taken away from the working class and hijacked by the bourgeoisie within the academy. More worrying still, it could drive working class voters into the arms of the populist right. If the group it has traditionally supported – the working class- believe that the political left has abandoned them, the left may lose many of the voters it requires to attain political power.” (p.153)

Or as a friend expressed it- telling poor white people who lead difficult lives that they are lavishly enjoying unearned privilege is hardly a vote winning strategy.

An interesting book with a lot of thought-provoking ideas. The attachment of the authors to secular liberal humanism, rational skepticism and the scientific method is something I am in alignment with and this book helped me to clarify some of my thinking on these issues.

don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#17  Postby scott1328 » Jan 23, 2022 7:05 am

1. Caliban's War, James S A Corey Book 2 in the Expanse Series. I am surprised by how faithful the TV adaptation has been to the novels.

2. Time’s Eye, Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter, Strange alien race scrambles the times on earth and pieces it together as a patchwork of regions from different eras, bringing to together the earliest hominems to people from the 37th century. First of a three part series. It’s free on audible. it’s worth the price.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Blip » Jan 23, 2022 2:28 pm

2. The Expectation Effect by David Robson
3. Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

Yep, I'm glad I discovered this writer. She's pretty good.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 25, 2022 1:55 am

1. the long take - robin robertson - 8/10
2. the gatekeeper - russ kane - 5/10
3. dr potter's medicine show - eric scott fischl - 8/10 - love a bit of speculative historical...a combination of snake-oil hawking and alchemy

UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Jan 30, 2022 9:02 pm

1. This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam McKay.

2. The Ruin - Dervla McTiernan.

Detective series set in Ireland and written by Cormac's sister.

Yes. Our Cormac from RDF.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Books