Catholic priest doomed thousands of Catholics in Phoenix

He has been using the wrong magic words to baptize people

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Catholic priest doomed thousands of Catholics in Phoenix

#21  Postby BlackBart » Feb 20, 2022 9:25 pm

Animavore wrote:Is it like Harry Potter where if you say the incantation slightly wrong something unpredictable and unexpected happens?

If you get it wrong, it defaults to 'Incendio' :?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby The Serpent » Feb 20, 2022 10:49 pm

Basset Hound wrote:I'm being told that he acted honestly, so the baptisms are valid.

I've no doubt his intention was valid but according to the relevant dicastery (in this case the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) the form he employed was not.

The defect in form renders the sacrament void.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Blackadder » Feb 21, 2022 1:57 pm

The Serpent wrote:
Basset Hound wrote:I'm being told that he acted honestly, so the baptisms are valid.

I've no doubt his intention was valid but according to the relevant dicastery (in this case the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) the form he employed was not.

Eggsactly.

I mean if I try to use an undefined variable in my code, the compiler isn't going to read it and say "This chap was acting honestly, so let's compile this shit." No. It's going to puke and give me an error message. Same goes for The Great Compiler Gawd, apparently. Get your fucking code right or fuck off, seems to be the Holy Output.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Caper » Feb 21, 2022 2:49 pm

hackenslash wrote:I'm sure there's a truly hilarious joke in there somewhere about sin tax...

We I see what you did there. :grin:
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The Serpent » Feb 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Blackadder wrote:
The Serpent wrote:

Eggsactly.

I mean if I try to use an undefined variable in my code, the compiler isn't going to read it and say "This chap was acting honestly, so let's compile this shit." No. It's going to puke and give me an error message. Same goes for The Great Compiler Gawd, apparently. Get your fucking code right or fuck off, seems to be the Holy Output.

The essence of cromulance. :smile:
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Feb 22, 2022 7:42 pm

BlackBart wrote:Apparently it's not 'In the name of the father, the son and into the hole he goes' at funerals either. :coffee:

that’s traditionally reserved for private choir lessons :naughty2: :priest:
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity