Casual Geographic

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Casual Geographic

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 24, 2021 5:22 am

I've been watching this guy for a year or so and he never fails to amuse. The reason I'm sharing it here (although I couldn't decide which subforum) is because he manages to mix fairly detailed and scientifically accurate expositions of the behavior and anatomy of various species, but also does so with his own brand of comedy. I am sure there are some others here who'll also enjoy this channel.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: Casual Geographic

#2  Postby Adco » Aug 24, 2021 7:55 am

I fact checked a few of the animals behaviours/characteristics mentioned in the video because they sounded unbelievable. Turns out they're all true.

The ones I checked were the size of a Kiwi egg, a Sloth holding it's breath and the Hyena birth method. Amazing to say the least.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Jan135 » Apr 08, 2022 3:54 pm

Interesting. Seems like the guy has earned a new subscriber. I'll surely explore his channel during the weekend. My transport manager job is taking away most of my mesnal energy.
Jan135

Name: Jan Pawlowski

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2022 4:34 pm

I forgot I shared this here... it's a great channel!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby hackenslash » Apr 08, 2022 5:09 pm

Thanks for bumping. Subbed.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Apr 08, 2022 7:19 pm

Super-entertaining. Pace was probably a bit much for some, but I'm guessing he appeals enormously to a particular demographic. I learned quite a few new and interesting things (holy fuck kiwi eggs). Clicked through to another about deadly animals, got oodles more shit I didn't know (didn't know hyenas are not true canids, but are more closely related to cats and civets), and got one of those clicky mini-epiphanies that resulted in a meme.

hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2022 7:30 pm

I think the YT vids are just his TikTok vids strung together which is why it's so rapid fire and non-contiguous.

But the style's great - only YTer I ever found to compete with ZeFrank1 for comedy biology.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby The_Piper » Apr 09, 2022 3:34 am

Cool, I've seen a number of the videos. Hilarious. :mrgreen: I like it more now that he slowed his delivery, I hate when good channels narrate their videos too fast for enjoyment. I notice that with some experience, many tend to slow it down a notch and improve. :)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby hackenslash » Apr 29, 2022 10:55 pm

A bit of memetic fun, not unrelated. I was looking for something for a meme and got distracted by a really cute photo of a face, except...

So, it turns out this is the larva of a crane fly, family Tupilidae. I'd hoped to get some really specific information (time, place, any other info) to share so I could get a species designation, and I've emailed the photographer to see if I can pin some of it down, but there are approximately 14,000 species to choose from. Indeed, the is the largest family of Diptera, the true flies.

The other point is that this isn't its face, it's its ass. The 'eyes' are in fact spiracles.

So, just another example of how, with a little pareidolia, you can make a complete ass of yourself.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2022 2:33 am

Grumpy cow says moo.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to General Discussion