Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#1101  Postby Spearthrower » May 15, 2022 11:16 pm

Biden and the Democrats need more substance than another lament about how we all just need to work together to overcome hate. How exactly - tell the people what this looks like - spell it out in detail - provide a means to actually effect change, not just fucking 'thoughts and prayers'.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1102  Postby Seabass » May 15, 2022 11:31 pm

"Detained"

So we know he wasn't black...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#1103  Postby Spearthrower » May 16, 2022 4:14 am

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/23107 ... s-shooting

Gramaglia said the gunman had last year made "generalized threats" at his high school, after which state police referred him to a hospital for a mental health evaluation that lasted approximately one day and a half.

He was then released.

Mental health. Done. Carry on. As you were.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1104  Postby Alan C » May 16, 2022 9:05 am

Will he get put into a mostly black/brown prison? Actually I guess lots of US prisons have large black/brown populations.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1105  Postby Seabass » May 16, 2022 9:49 am

3 in 10 Americans believe in the great replacement theory. Not surprisingly, half of Republicans believe it, but what is possibly more worrying is that 1/5 of Dems apparently believe it too. Which means that 1/5 of Dems could switch to Republican soon.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Print view this post

#1106  Postby Seabass » May 17, 2022 5:23 am

Seabass

Print view this post

#1107  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 03, 2022 9:51 am

We can feel the cognitive dissonance being generated amongst gun fetishists from this side of the Atlantic:

Three police die in 'pure hell' Kentucky shooting (BBC)

Just another every-day mass shooting, but this time the victims were all cops (and a service dog).

Another figure slipped under the radar a month or so back too: Number of US police officers murdered up by 59% - FBI (BBC)

Unfortunately I suspect the "lesson" the usual suspects will draw from this is to give the police more and more lethal weaponry and extend their powers of summary execution. (Completely missing the point that Judge Dredd was a satire).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1108  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 03, 2022 9:59 am

Clearly, the problem is that the police dogs didn't have guns.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#1109  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 03, 2022 10:26 am

Tortured_Genius wrote: … and extend their powers of summary execution. …

what do you mean „extend“ ?

„he had something that could be vaguely confused with a gun, I feared for my life!“
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1110  Postby The_Piper » Jul 03, 2022 11:02 am

The article says the suspect had a rifle, but doesn't specify what kind. I'm guessing not a hunting rifle, though I could be wrong. I'm not a gun aficionado.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1111  Postby Spearthrower » Jul 03, 2022 11:08 am

No more knowledgeable than you, but given the descriptions of barrages, rains, and storms of bullets - I am guessing it's a fully automatic weapon and probably multiple weapons ready to be used.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1112  Postby The_Piper » Jul 03, 2022 11:21 am

Spearthrower wrote:No more knowledgeable than you, but given the descriptions of barrages, rains, and storms of bullets - I am guessing it's a fully automatic weapon and probably multiple weapons ready to be used.

Yeah. It says the shooting lasted 3 hours, so the guy was probably already planning for this day. Or just had a mountain of rounds because "Biden is coming for my guns!" See what the disinformation causes? Real world disaster. (not asking you, it's just a rhetorical question)
I'll bet most of the surviving officers went home and watched Fox news too, not even realizing the direct link from that to the stockpile of ammo and perhaps guns.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1113  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 03, 2022 4:11 pm

Thank a Republican. Today. They wanted this, they have it.

The American Taliban now working from what was once the Supreme Court saw to it.

I think it fair to care exactly as much about the dead police as the police care about dead school kids.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1114  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jul 04, 2022 9:44 am

Jayland Walker: Ohio police release video of deadly suspect chase (BBC)

US police have released video of a chase in Akron, Ohio, which ended in a black man being shot dead, hit more than 60 times by pursuing officers.

Police believe Jayland Walker, 25, opened fire first and officers feared for their lives during the night-time traffic stop on 27 June.

Mr Walker was not armed when he ran away from his car but police say a pistol was later found inside it.

I'm trying to figure out at what point he could have safely surrendered to avoid summary execution.

60 fucking rounds - they cowboyed him.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1115  Postby Seabass » Apr 29, 2023 5:49 pm

5 dead in Texas 'execution-style' shooting, suspect armed with AR-15 is on the loose
https://abcnews.go.com/US/5-dead-texas-shooting-suspect-armed-ar-15/story?id=98957271

Five people are dead after being shot in a Texas home by a suspect armed with an AR-15 style rifle in a horrific series of "execution style" shootings, police said.
[...]
When authorities arrived at the location, they found several victims shot at the property, police said. Three of the deceased were females and two were males, including the youngest, an 8-year-old boy.

Two female victims were discovered in the bedroom lying on top of two surviving children, authorities told ABC News.

Three minors were located uninjured, but covered in blood. They were transported to a local hospital.

Police said they believe the massacre occurred after neighbors asked the suspect to stop shooting his gun in the front yard because there was a baby trying to sleep.

Seabass

Print view this post

#1116  Postby Alan C » Apr 30, 2023 1:10 am

Saw today on Mastodon, related;

ACOSTA: People listen to what you said and say it's your job to fix gun violence. Why not?

REP. TIM BURCHETT: I was probably speaking more from a Christian perspective. We need real revival in this country.

ACOSTA: There's Christianity in other countries and they don't have mass shootings.

BURCHETT: They don't have our freedom either. They don't have the 2nd Amendment.

I would seriously wonder if this RepFuck realised how he answered that second question.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1117  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2023 6:52 am

It again underscores how religion is flexible enough to accommodate whatever your society values, even when that means holding positions directly contrary to the supposed core religious values; and that religion is a lazy, tribalistic proxy for honest reasoning and compassionate ethics.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#1118  Postby Seabass » Sep 13, 2023 5:51 am

Police union rep laughing with officer who hit a woman in a crosswalk while speeding through an intersection at 50 mph.

https://twitter.com/georebekah/status/1701685542478373263

Seabass

Print view this post

#1119  Postby The_Piper » Sep 13, 2023 1:00 pm

Fucking disgusting inhumane pure scum.
My cousin married(and divorced) a cop who hit and killed a pedestrian while going 35mph by a crosswalk in a snowstorm. He lost his job, thankfully.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1120  Postby Seabass » Dec 22, 2023 8:32 pm

Police fatally shoot Black woman who called 911 for domestic violence
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/21/los-angeles-domestic-violence-victim-fatally-shot-police
Los Angeles sheriff’s deputy who killed Niani Finlayson, 27, previously had killed another civilian under similar circumstances

Seabass

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs